(Close Window)
Topic: Sharing a routine
Hi all. I have been away from the Café since... I can't remember. A year? On my coming back, I want to share a routine with whoever will be interested in sharing something as well. I have shared countless routines over the past years and notices many people would just download the files without even a Thank You. Not what I call "sharing".

I made an experiment, and offered to send a routine (that was "Tricycle Around the World") in exchange for... whatever people thought was a fair trade: a routine, a technique, an idea... I was very happy with what happened :D

This time, I'm doing it a bit differently. [b]Here's the deal:[/b]
I've created a folder on a Google Drive. As of now, it contains only ma routine "Champ' Night", a routine I did already privately share with a selected few here.
If you send me a routine of yours, I'll add it to the folder and send you a link. This means overtime, everybody who sent a routine will have acess to all other contributions to that folder :D

If you are interested in participating in this, send me your routine (I will give you my e-mail addres if you pm me). If I feel it's good enough(*), I'll put it in the folder and send you the link.

Welocome to the [i]"Shared Folder Project"[/i] :D

[i](*) For instance, "Champ' Night" is a routine I've used as my opener and that other mentalists have liked, I wouldn't want to trade it for a keyboard dream or just the idea for a funny line (yeah, that happened with my first experiment). I wouldn't want other contributors to complain about obviously weak "gifts".[/i]
Nice to have you back!
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Nice to have you back! [/quote]
Thank You :D
Hello Cervier,

[quote]On Oct 15, 2019, Cervier wrote:
I have shared countless routines over the past years and notices many people would just download the files without even a Thank You.
[/quote]

Tell me about it! I used to enjoy sharing new things, but not so much now. "Please" and "thank-you," as well as decently written non-anonymous polite requests seem to be a thing of the past.

So now I keep track of who's not capable of basic etiquette and won't share with them any more. The list of confidants shrinks daily.

I have something to write up for you, though... It might require photographs showing some moves. Are you able to handle that okay?

Thomas Henry
I like your "Shared Folder Project" and I will write something for you.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Thomas Henry wrote:

Tell me about it! I used to enjoy sharing new things, but not so much now. "Please" and "thank-you," as well as decently written non-anonymous polite requests seem to be a thing of the past.
[/quote]

"[i]Champ' Night[/i]" belongs to the "Bank Night" family of routines, but is structured differently than most: the participant does win the prize, but... you'll see :) I present it as mindreading (not influence nor prediction...) --related Bank Night routines would include one by Ted Lesley, one by Marc Spelmann...

About people writing "send me..." but never "Thank you", I do have sad memories -- but I also have very, very nice ones, I'm not forgetting that either :D
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Thomas Henry wrote:
Hello Cervier,

I have something to write up for you, though... It might require photographs showing some moves. Are you able to handle that okay?

Thomas Henry [/quote]
Sorry, I hadn't seen your question! The anwser is yes, no problem :D
I just received, read and uploaded a document from [b]pixelated[/b].
It's a DIY deck-switching device I suddenly feel an urge to build and to try :D
The way it functions is simple and direct, there are no complicated parts you're always afraid will fail you and it really looks like a worker. Of course I'll have to make and try one to be sure, but it definitely looks like something that could become popular among card cheats because it allows for a quick, covert and safe move.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will post a list of what's in the folder every time something new comes in. As of today, the list is (by "order of appearance" ;) ) :
- [b]Champ' Night, by Cervier[/b] ; a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch, by pixaleted[/b] ; a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
And another entry from [b]darko[/b].
A method for a Dead or Alive routine that makes use of a specific type of equipment but will give ideas to those of us who have a equipment based on different principles.

------ CONTENTS OF THE SHARED FOLDER PROJECT -------------------------------------------
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine, by Darko[/b] ; a method for D-O-A-type routines
And another contribution from dj / Darko! An open prediction that fooled me, but most important, that pleased me :D
One video of the routine, another one with clear explanations of that simple method.

You must begin to think I only like methods if they are simple. Weeeeell.... "[i]Simple[/i]" often means "[i]low risk of failure[/i]", "[i]no long awkward patter while you do your moves[/i]" etc.

------ CONTENTS OF THE SHARED FOLDER PROJECT -------------------------------------------
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine, by Darko[/b] ; a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction, by Darko[/b] ; a clean open prediction with a simple method.
OK I'll play along. I like your stuff and Thank you.

See your pm
Great idea! I just sent something that might be worth adding to the folder (it might be the kind of things that interess Thomas).
*Big smile* I just got back from a weekend trip, away from Internet, and I find new contributions for the sharing project :dancing:

- An "Open Prediction", by Sealegs. In his version, the performer isn't the one who makes the prediction! That's left to a spectator!... :D
- "Man Heart" is a story by Funsway I enjoyed reading. By his own words, "[i]Here is a story that might inspire your thinking, though - applied mentalism or something.[/i]" :D
- "Yet Another Peek Device", sent by John C. I would have called it "Out To Peek", or "Peek To Lunch" because of what it reminds me of. :D

So the list is now:
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction, by Darko[/b] ; a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction, by Sealegs[/b] ; An Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]"Man Heart", a story by Funsway[/b] ; inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]"YAPD", by John C.[/b] ; Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
And, Nestor D. sent me a routine that uses a pendulum, anagrams... Thomas, Nestor said this could be for you? ;)

- [b]An Open Prediction, by Sealegs[/b] ; An Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart, a story by Funsway[/b] ; inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD, by John C.[/b] ; Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram, by Nestor D.[/b] ; an effect with letters and a pendulum.
I want to thank all those who have (or will) share something of value in this project. It is heartwarming :cheers:
Great idea👍
[quote]On Oct 21, 2019, Newsround wrote:
Great idea👍 [/quote]
A year and a half/two years ago, I offered to share a routine (that was [i]Agendanimaux[/i], and not [i]Tricycle Around the World[/i] as I mistakenly wrote in the first post of this thread) to whoever would send me inreturn "something" they thought was a fair trade. The upshot was, I ended up sending about fifteen PDFs of my routine and received 8 routines or ideas in exchange.

I was a bit bothered by the fact almost haf the people who requested my routine never sent anything back. I knew I was taking the risk. And I thought, even thoug it was disappointing, I didn't loose anything.

But I was also a bit bothered by the fact I had a much better share of the deal!!! I mean, everyonehad received 1 routine(mine), but *I* had received 8 "things"! I thought of sending everything to every one, but life had other plans... (*dramatic music* ;) ) I think I'll do it now.

So this time, I was driven back to the Café for purely commercial reasons, I'll admit. I wanted to tell the world about my new (and only) peek envelope everyone who's seen it is praising... Yes they are, that's not advertising. And... It felt strange. I'm much more used to giving stuff away for free. In a way, I had to compensate with something else. I decided to try out that idea that had been haunting my brain since the days I just told you about: let's call it the "[i]Fellowship of the shaRing[/i]" :lol:

I have to say, I am very happy with the quality of the shared material, and moved that people would send so nice stuff! :love: I does mak the whole experiment feel like... a fellowship :D

Now, I wouldn't want anybody think what they thought of sharing isn't up to par. This is about sharing, it's not a contest where I would be selecting the best entries for a book for instance. What I'll do is, if ever I feel I can't accept an entry, I wont give the sender access to the whole folder, but I will send my [i]Champ'Night[/i] routine in exchange anyway.
And, new contributions coming in! :yippee:
Greg Arce sent me three routines.
A roulette-type one involving pencils and a tomato. I like the silplicity of the props, and above all, I like the fact it's safe (unless you're very creative :lol: ).
Another one is based on Bob Hummer's principle, but doesn't stop there. There's more to it than just finding the cup. As Greg explains how the three climaxes work, he gives ideas and ways to flesh them up.
And if you do magic squares and would like a finale to close all the sums reveals, you will want to work this idea into your presentation :D

And Thomas Henry sent me the first contribution I uploaded without reading it. Because it is 120 pages! And something everyone with an interest for ESP cards will want to have a deep look at :D

- [b]Man Heart, a story by Funsway[/b] ; inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD, by John C.[/b] ; Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram, by Nestor D. [/b]; an effect with letters and a pendulum.
- [b]Fear No 2, by Greg Arce[/b] ; a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill, by Greg Arce [/b]; starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg, by Greg Arce [/b]; an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism, by Thomas Henry[/b] ; the title says it all!

Hello Everyone,

Let me chime in with a huge thank-you to Cervier and all the contributors for some truly excellent material. Your generosity in sharing your own top-quality mentalism with others is amazing!

Annemann would be truly envious at what's going on in this sharing project...

Thomas Henry
This folder already contains more stuff than I can digest in a week! :D
And as Thomas Henry wrote, there's some top-quality stuff, and I would have spent hard-earned money to buy a book with that sort of content! I'm glad I don't have to :D , but I would have! I thank again all contributors, and I have in mind a few others who shared things in the past and whom I'd like to lure into that project ;)

I already shared [i]Agendaminaux[/i] in the past and I know some of the present participants have it, so it won't be new to them --let me share it again anyway.
It's based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but without playing cards.

- [b]Champ' Night[/b], by Cervier ......................................... a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch[/b], by pixaleted .......................................... a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine[/b], by Darko .......................... a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction[/b], by Darko ................................ a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction[/b], by Sealegs ................................... an Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart[/b], a story by Funsway .................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD[/b], by John C. ................................................. Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram[/b], by Nestor D. ................................ an effect with letters and a pendulum.
- [b]Fear No 2[/b], by Greg Arce .......................................... a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill[/b], by Greg Arce ........................................ starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg[/b], by Greg Arce ......................................... an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism[/b], by Thomas Henry ..... the title says it all!
- [b]Agendanimaux[/b], by Cervier ......................................... based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but not with cards.

Aaaaaand... a new contribution! From Edward James Dean comes a major effect, involving the whole audience plus a panel of judges, designed as an opener that will set the atmosphere and themes (as an opener should --but doesn't always). Simple and efficient! :D :D :D

The list grows to:

- [b]Champ' Night,[/b] by Cervier ................................................... a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch,[/b] by Rich Gerrish .................................................. a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine,[/b] by Darko .............................. a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction,[/b] by Darko ..................................... a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction,[/b] by Sealegs ......................................... an Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart,[/b] a story by Funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD,[/b] by John C. ............................................................. Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram[/b], by Nestor D. .................................. an effect with letters and a pendulum.
- [b]Fear No 2,[/b] by Greg Arce .................................................... a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill,[/b] by Greg Arce ................................................ starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg,[/b] by Greg Arce ................................................. an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism,[/b] by Thomas Henry ....... the title says it all!
- [b]Agendanimaux,[/b] by Cervier ................................................ based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but not with cards.
- [b]A Major Effect With Three Envelopes[/b], by Edward James Dean .... a simple and efficient opener that involves the whole audience and sets the atmosphere.

Did you know that "grün" in German means "green"? I did, I took German in school. Well, "Grün" is the name of a new contribution from Darko, a simply executed and simply presented thought-of-card :D. The demo video is in german but easy to follow if you know what the plot is. The explanation video is in English and recaps everything. Cool stuff! And a force you may not know... :D

- [b]Champ' Night,[/b] by Cervier ................................................... a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch,[/b] by Rich Gerrish .................................................. a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine,[/b] by Darko .............................. a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction,[/b] by Darko ..................................... a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction,[/b] by Sealegs ......................................... an Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart,[/b] a story by Funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD,[/b] by John C. ............................................................. Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram,[/b] by Nestor D. .................................. an effect with letters and a pendulum.
- [b]Fear No 2,[/b] by Greg Arce .................................................... a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill,[/b] by Greg Arce ................................................ starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg,[/b] by Greg Arce ................................................. an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism,[/b] by Thomas Henry ....... the title says it all!
- [b]Agendanimaux,[/b] by Cervier ................................................ based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but not with cards.
- [b]A Major Effect With Three Envelopes,[/b] by Edward James Dean .... a simple and efficient opener that involves the whole audience and sets the atmosphere.
- [b]Grün,[/b] by Darko ................................................................. a simple and direct thought-of-card.

Sending you an pm.

Red
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, EllisBoydRedding wrote:
Sending you an pm.

Red [/quote]
In the name of all participants, thanks :D Check your inbox.
Ok, picture this: you ask a participant to make a Sudoku puzzle. He or she writes a few freely chosen digits in an empty grid and that's the puzzle you have to solve. You do it in less than 2 minutes. Make that 1. I did 42 seconds on my first attempt!

Greg Arce sent me "Sudoku", a method inspired from an idea published by Philemon Vanderbeck, that Greg made super-easy to remember and use!!!

- [b]Champ' Night[/b], by Cervier ................................................... a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch[/b], by Rich Gerrish .................................................. a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine[/b], by Darko .............................. a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction[/b], by Darko ..................................... a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction[/b], by Sealegs ......................................... an Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart[/b], a story by Funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD[/b], by John C. ............................................................. Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]A Halloween Anagram[/b], by Nestor D. .................................. an effect with letters and a pendulum.
- [b]Fear No 2[/b], by Greg Arce .................................................... a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill[/b], by Greg Arce ................................................ starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg[/b], by Greg Arce ................................................. an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism[/b], by Thomas Henry ....... the title says it all!
- [b]Agendanimaux[/b], by Cervier ................................................ based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but not with cards.
- [b]A Major Effect With Three Envelopes[/b], by Edward James Dean .... a simple and efficient opener that involves the whole audience and sets the atmosphere.
- [b]Grün[/b], by Darko ................................................................. a simple and direct thought-of-card.
- [b]Sudoku[/b], by Greg Arce ........................................................ fill in less than a minute a Sudoku grid freely made by a spectator.

How many pages is this project going to amount to??? Well, Greg Arce sent again a few, three routines and ideas out of his book "Lost In Thought". "Bomb Roulette": given its name, you will be glad to learn that its safe ;) Then "Postcards From The Edge" is a very clever dressing of a well known card trick, and I love when such tricks get dragged into the "everyday world" :D Finally, "Clues" is a finale for a routine base on the "CLUE" game.

- [b]Champ' Night[/b], by Cervier ................................................... a Bank Night style routine.
- [b]Tipswitch[/b], by Rich Gerrish .................................................. a DIY one-hand-deck-switch gimmick.
- [b]Darko's Dead or Alive routine[/b], by Darko .............................. a method for D-O-A-type routines
- [b]Darko's Open Prediction[/b], by Darko ..................................... a clean open prediction with a simple method.
- [b]An Open Prediction[/b], by Sealegs ......................................... an Open Prediction where the prediction is made by a spectator.
- [b]Man Heart[/b], a story by Funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]YAPD[/b], by John C. ............................................................. Yet Another Peek Device, but who doesn't need ("want") another peek device?
- [b]Fear No 2[/b], by Greg Arce .................................................... a safe roulette-type routine with everyday props.
- [b]Hummer Bill[/b], by Greg Arce ................................................ starts with the classical three-cup base and adds two more mind-reading feats.
- [b]Square Peg[/b], by Greg Arce ................................................. an idea for a baffling finale to a magic square routine.
- [b]The Handbook of ESP Card Mentalism[/b], by Thomas Henry ....... the title says it all!
- [b]Agendanimaux[/b], by Cervier ................................................ based on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue", but not with cards.
- [b]Grün[/b], by Darko ................................................................. a simple and direct thought-of-card.
- [b]Sudoku[/b], by Greg Arce ........................................................ fill in less than a minute a Sudoku grid freely made by a spectator.
- [b]out of "Lost In Thought"[/b], by Greg Arce ................................ three routines and ideas out of Greg's "Lost In Thought" book.

Jose has worked on intros for his show that will empower the audience. He has come up with at least two different themes and scripts that he has sent for this project :D :D :D He also has more stuff on his workbench that should eventually arrive here as well :D :D :D :D

- [b]out of "Lost In Thought"[/b], by Greg Arce ............................... three routines and ideas out of Greg's "Lost In Thought" book.
- [b]Empowerment Openers[/b], by Jose Fernandez ......................... two different opening speeches with the same goal in mind: empowering the audience.

You may have heard of Thomas P. when you were looking for ways to put a voice into your participant's head... Today he shares a simple but engaging effect, an opener that lets you decide whether the rest should be card magic or mentalism.

- [b]out of "Lost In Thought"[/b], by Greg Arce ............................... three routines and ideas out of Greg's "Lost In Thought" book.
- [b]Empowerment Openers[/b], by Jose Fernandez ........................ two different opening speeches with the same goal in mind: empowering the audience.
- [b]Hands off short card[/b], by Thomas P ..................................... a mental magic opener that can lead to more cards... or not, as you please.

Here's a routine Jose Fernandez just finished polishing especially for this project, with a little help from me. It's about empathy, about connecting with the mind of the mentalist in an experiment that involves two decks of cards.

- [b]Empowerment Openers[/b], by Jose Fernandez ........................ two different opening speeches with the same goal in mind: empowering the audience.
- [b]Hands off short card[/b], by Thomas P ..................................... a mental magic opener that can lead to more cards... or not, as you please.
- [b]Mental Implantation[/b], by Jose Fernandez .............................. implanting the thought of a card in the mind of two spectators.

Nice. :)

:xmas:
Hello everyone! After being quiet for months, the "Shared Folder Project" receives another entry, this one from NeilS who offers a simple and strong effect based on simple and time-tested methods using props you already have, or can find in any of the mentalists' prefered stores: stationnery and office supply stores ;)

- [b]Mental Implantation[/b], by Jose Fernandez .............................. implanting the thought of a card in the mind of two spectators.
- [b]Psychological Just Chance[/b], by Niel Somerville ....................... a stage or parlour effect involving 5 spectators and their choices.

This really is a wonderful project and Jean-Manuel is to be applauded for setting it up.

It is an honour to be a part and I hope others will be tempted to contribute and join.

Neil
Thanks Neil for those kind words. It really is a pleasure to have you in :D
The "[i]Fellowship of the ShaRing[/i]" is slowly, quietly growing, gathering people whith all sorts of "celebrity level", but all willing to share some of their work or some of their most interesting thoughts. I really enjoy and appreciate that spirit.
I am thankfull to all contributors, and honored they trusted me in the first place ♥

Today, Rex Deash sent a routine that's simple and can be done impromtu. Classic methods well used and well put together, and there's the always satisfying pleasure of messing up the time on a borrowed watch... ;)

- [b]Psychological Just Chance[/b], by Niel Somerville ....................... a stage or parlour effect involving 5 spectators and their choices.
- [b]Time and Time Again[/b], by Rex Deash ..................................... sending conscious or subconscious impulses to two spectators with a watch.

If you don't enjoy pendulums and color readings yet, you will after you read Mr Woolery's very nice entry! By the way, I very much enjoy bizarre magic and its eerie themes. Of course, one might say it's beacause I do read minds whereas lots of modern mentalists read body language instead, but hey, even D.B. manages to slip some "bizarre" into his shows ;)

- [b]Time and Time Again[/b], by Rex Deash ..................................... sending conscious or subconscious impulses to two spectators with a watch.
- [b]Color Reading[/b], by Patrick Woolery ........................................ readings, with colors and pendulums.

Patrick Woolery was once asked to perform a séance and you'll be glad he was, because taking inspiration here and there, he had an idea for a simple to build and simple to use prop ("prop", not "gimmick" mind you) that lets spirits write their message when slates are not available or not desired. That's some power hidden in such an innocent-looking object! But of course, it's not the object, it's what you do with it, and you can be as poetic or as spooky as you wish...

- [b]Psychological Just Chance[/b], by Neil Somerville ....................... a stage or parlour effect involving 5 spectators and their choices.
- [b]Color Reading[/b], by Patrick Woolery ........................................ readings, with colors and pendulums.
- [b]Spirit Pencil[/b], by Patrick Woolery ........................................... spirits can write messages during séances with this prop.

Do yu have to put on your glasses to read minds? ;) Bob Cassidy did and admitted to it, so don't be ashamed to confess it happens to you as well. I need to put my glasses on or off depending on how close the other mind is... ;) Hans-Christian designed a marking system with "poor reading conditions" in mind, whether those conditions are caused by the performer's eyes or by the available lights. I should have written he offers marking "systemS" because he had too many ideas to settle on one, hence he decided to present you with variations you can just pick from.

- [b]Psychological Just Chance[/b], by Neil Somerville ....................... a stage or parlour effect involving 5 spectators and their choices.
- [b]Spirit Pencil[/b], by Patrick Woolery ........................................... spirits can write messages during séances with this prop.
- [b]Low Vision Marking System[/b], by Hans-Cristian Solka ............... a marking system with many variations, aimed at low-vision mentalists or situations.

Four new contributors and five new entries in less than a week! The folder now contains 25 contributions from 16 members (from at least 4 countries), that's a lot to read, that's a lot to get ideas or inspiration from. I am very happy to share ideas and routines with creative and or knowledgeable minds who like to share ideas and routines with others :) This folder could be a book! I mean, there's already a whole book among the entries! And the price is... "Your Own Chapter"!
So, once again, to all contributors: Thank You :D
Thanks for the addition of Patrick Woolery's Color Reading.

This has inspired an approach I will use in hospitals as my wife and I visit patients recovering from Sepsis Shock.
She will play harp as I use colors and a pendulum for various purposes - not exactly a "reading" but a ay of getting the recovering patient involved in useful memories.
This is ideal because of the social distancing and intense visual objects. I will use interpretations of body language rather than contact.
If you use cards, then you probably use stacks and hence also use some sort of false shuffle, while trying not to appear too handy with cards. And you're probably not, "handy with cards". I'm not, I only have very basic skills when it comes to card sleights. So how about a false shuffle that leaves the whole deck in its original order, while being so easy to perform its author claims you could have "two left hands"? Here's aa other contribution from Hans-Christian Solka :D

- [b]Low Vision Marking System[/b], by Hans-Cristian Solka ............... a marking system with many variations, aimed at low-vision mentalists or situations.
- [b]The Hans False Shuffle[/b], by Hans-Cristian Solka ...................... a very easy complete false shuffle that can also be used with big cards.

I have only recently joined this and some of the pieces I have read have been ‘pure gold.’ I do not say this likely - the quality and potential value of what I have read has been a real revelation and among the best material I have read for a long time.

It is a wonderful project to support and be a part of.

Neil
I like theory, I like to dissect routines and discover why this works, in order to make that work. Ken Muller, whom you already know as funsway, provides us with a piece that will make about 4 or 5 spectators experience their own mental abilities. He clearly explains why he did what he did the way he did, and why you should too; he gives principles gathered from a rich "out-of-magic" life. You get more than just a secret method.
This is for those moments when you sit among your audience, in a parlour, séance or end-of-diner type of setting.

- [b]Man Heart[/b], a story by funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]The Hans False Shuffle[/b], by Hans-Cristian Solka ...................... a very easy complete false shuffle that can also be used with big cards.
- [b]The Ultimate Telexperience[/b], by Ken Muller ........................... an experiment where 4 or 5 spectators trully participate and try out their own mental powers.

Today's contribution is an excerpt from Ken Muller's "[i]Furst Time[/i]". He re-wrote it especially for this project, so as to offer the Fellowship of the shaRing his thoughts and experience on how to present it generally speaking, and how to present it in a way that makes sense when "social distancing" is required.

[b]*** BUT THERE IS MORE! ***[/b]

Here's an additionnal message he sent me:

"[b]I will offer a free copy of 'Furst Time' to any reader writing me at ken@eversway.com
and mentioning your name.
Funs stories and insights into both mentalism and audience engagement.[/b]"

This is about mentalism routines Ken was taught by Arnold Furst 60 years ago (!), narrated as vivid and entertaining memories --which they must be! If you are not familiar with the author's style and tastes, or even if you are, I urge you to take advantage of this offer. There is also that "pre-Internet mentalism" atmosphere...

- [b]Man Heart[/b], a story by funsway .......................................... inspiration for presentations and/or effects.
- [b]The Ultimate Telexperience[/b], by Ken Muller ........................... an experiment where 4 or 5 spectators trully participate and try out their own mental powers.
- [b]Open Page[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................... a classic you may not know enrichened with Ken's thoughts and comments.

I hope some of you did take on Ken Muller's offer. I did. [i]Furst Time[/i] is not only a collection of good, time tested material, it is also written in a way that makes the reader feel as if he were a spectator to the author's memories. It's a very pleasant read.

If you like simple, direct, almost impromptu effects, you will be very happy with "[i]Psycoin[/i]" Neil Somerville presents us with!
When writing a routine that uses equivoque or multiple outs, it is very easy to end up with an ugly monster that deals with each of the spectator's choices in an obviously contrived manner.

Not [i]Psycoin[/i]. It is simple, neat, well crafted, consistent, the kind of sturdy material hobbyists don't find shiny enough but performers keep in their toolbox.

- [b]Open Page[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................... a classic you may not know enrichened with Ken's thoughts and comments.
- [b]Psycoin[/b], by Neil Somerville .................................................. coins, an envelope, and your ability to influence people (and make friends).

Did you know 30 is a magical number? Take a calculator, type in any four or even five digit number, add your age, subtract the number of coins in your pocket, divide by the outside temperature (in °F -so you don't get 0)... multiply by 0... add 30 and... [b]voilà[/b]!

Ok, ok, more seriously ;) this is the 30th contribution to the Shared Folder. That's what makes 30 magical.

Zéphyr
I perform this routine on stage or impromptu, it's one some people still talk to me about months, even years later. It begins like a nice "Which Hand" game or experiment, and when people smile and start to applaude because they think it is over... then comes impossible mindreading :D

- [b]Psycoin[/b], by Neil Somerville .................................................. coins, an envelope, and your ability to influence people (and make friends).
- [b]Zéphyr[/b], by Cervier ............................................................. soften them with a "Which Hand" game, finish them with undisputable mindreading.

It seems it was yesterday we reached the "30" landmark, and, well, it was --or about. And already we move on and welcome another member to our Fellowship of the ShaRing.

Jack Shalom liked Lennart Green's stunning "Eye of Stonehendge" so he made his own version of it and dressed it up with a theme I am sure will appeal to many parlour performers. He talks pyramids, buddhism and "original self". Showmanship required, not sleight of hand...

- [b]Zéphyr[/b], by Cervier ............................................................. soften them with a "Which Hand" game, finish them with undisputable mindreading.
- [b]Original Self[/b], by Jack Shalom ............................................... based on Lennart Green's [i]Eye of Stonehendge[/i], cards with a meaningful theme.

I wonder how many pages the 32 entries in the folder represent? Of course, that would depend of the page format, size of the font,... And let's take into account one of the contributions is already a book! Maybe a better indicator would be to count how many [i]words[/i]?

At first glance, I would say... a lot! And all of them you would be happy you read.
I am happy I did.

I am also happy to see how this project motivates some contributors to activate the works again. That's nice, because for all creators, from the God-like ones who create from scratch to the more humble ones who create but a new assembly of dirt-old pieces, for all of them, there is much joy in the creating process :D
And for those who also like to perform... well, I know the joy I feel when performing a piece I created is hard to top :D (eve if it doesn't go as planned, because it means I have to go back to the mental works, a place I like).
So, seeing creative minds at wrok, having the opportunity to share things with them, to be able to get accointed with their point of view, seeing them happily move their cogs, that's very nice :D

- - -
Sean Mann spends a lot of time watching movies and playing with movies. He pressed the "pause" button long enough to write a routine whose theme is one he knows well. The method is simple and effective, the theme is one that everybody is familiar with and that naturally triggers the audience's imagination. So, he did the writing, you do the casting: this is "FMDb - Forced Movie Database".

- [b]Original Self[/b], by Jack Shalom ............................................... based on Lennart Green's [i]Eye of Stonehendge[/i], cards with a meaningful theme.
- [b]FMdb - Forced Movie Database[/b], by Sean Mann ..................... can you predict or guess a movie freely selected by a spectator? you'd better: you bought the tickets!

My mother put a sign on her fridge, that goes something like "[i]Everybody brings joy in this house: some when they arrive, others when they leave.[/i]"
Well, there is always joy when I find a message in my mailbox that's for the Shared Folder! And I admit this fact puts me in a priviledge position. I get to read averything that comes in, I get to discuss with authors when they want to tweak their text somehow, there are those moments of enjoyable discussions with fellow mentalists who may have different tastes and views on our craft, whose experience may vary both in range and length...

As I write those lines, I reflect it is quite telling that someone as experienced as Ken Muller, for example, uses methods others might dismiss because "not elaborate enough". There is much to say about this, and I just deleted the ten lines or so I had written as a beginning. This is an article for another time and another place ;)

So [b]Ken Muller[/b] just sent [i]Back in a Flash[/i], a routine of his he added variations to especially for this occasion. As usual, he focuses on what phenomenon the audience is a witness, on what they should experience and feel. Here, it's about a special bond the mentalist is able to create (or make visible) between the assistant and himself, a bond that will allow for thoughts to be transmitted, gradually, more and more accurately. Variations include ways to present this without physical contact.

- [b]FMdb - Forced Movie Database[/b], by Sean Mann ..................... can you predict or guess a movie freely selected by a spectator? you'd better: you bought the tickets!
- [b]Back in a Flash[/b], by Ken Muller .............................................. telepathy you do with your back turned, with or without 'social distancing'.

It was only a few hours ago I posted the above message about a new contribution, only a few hours ago! And already, here is another one, from a new member!

[b]IPE[/b] is obsessed with équivoque (to my English-speaking friends: that's pronounced something like "Ay-kee-vok", not "Ay-kwee-vokay") and this pushes him to write routines based on that principle or a variation of it. He presents us with [i]Vividly Positive[/i], one I liked as soon as I read it, because its base is classic, but where most routines on that theme are 2-phase, IPE has added a clever third one that fits in really nicely!
He has reworked it since, making it even better! A good job you will be happy to read!

- [b]Back in a Flash[/b], by Ken Muller .............................................. telepathy you do with your back turned, with or without 'social distancing'.
- [b]Vividly Positive[/b], by IPE ....................................................... propless and imaginative, an unequivocally intriguing piece...

I have just spent a very pleasant and rewarding afternoon reading some of the more recent additions to this compilation. What gems and what a magnificent collection.
[quote]On Jul 25, 2020, NeilS wrote:
I have just spent a very pleasant and rewarding afternoon reading some of the more recent additions to this compilation. What gems and what a magnificent collection. [/quote]
And it is varied too! I enjoy this meeting of minds, some more mathematical, some more poetic, some who like sobriety, while others go for intricate pieces...
there are routines that I would perform as they are described, anyway in all of them I find ideas for methods, ideas for presentations, ideas for themes...

Our 20th member will be the [b]Unknown Mentalist[/b], and his present, [i]Dark Horizon[/i], is about languages that disappear from the world. Links between words and thoughts are often sugested in mentalism, but I have never seen it explicitely stated and used to set as a theme that thoughts and language are "intertwined". W. von Hombolt said (maybe) "[i]The structure of language determines the structure of thought[/i]", Steven Pinker states "[i]The language we use influences the way we think"[/i]" and so on...

- [b]Vividly Positive[/b], by IPE ....................................................... propless (almost) and imaginative, an unequivocally intriguing piece...
- [b]Dark Horizon[/b], by the Uknown Mentalist .................................. thoughts and language are intrically connected, and letters are important.

I'm really happy to have joined this wonderful project! The idea behind it is noble and the included effects are great.
Besides, I had the privilege to receive some excellent inputs from Cervier! What more can I ask for? :)
Of course, it had to happen while I was away from any decent Internet connexion... ;) I received four, [b]FOUR[/b] submissions. Two are being processed and will be in the folder soon. That will give us time to read the other two.

The "[i]Test of the Stones[/i]" is a cute little piece. Well, "cute" might not be the appropriate word, as its theme could be chilling, teeth chattering, if not presented in an humorous way. The method requires a marketed gimmick (this was written for a contest organized by the manufacturer), but can easily be adapted to other similar props.
I liked the atmosphere and story of [b]Tony Shechtman[/b]'s routine, so here it is.

Not long ago, [b]Rex Deash[/b] presented us with an effect with a watch. This time, he sent us a quick and simple method for pretending not to cut a stack while really cutting (or "un-cutting", hence the name I guess). Here's "[i]a pass alternative[/i]".

- [b]Back in a Flash[/b], by Ken Muller ............................................. telepathy you do with your back turned, with or without 'social distancing'.
- [b]Vividly Positive[/b], by IPE ...................................................... propless (almost) and imaginative, an unequivocally intriguing piece...
- [b]Dark Horizon[/b], by the Uknown Mentalist ................................. thoughts and language are intrically connected, and letters are important.
- [b]Test of the Stones[/b], by Tony Shechtman ................................ hold on to your teeth, this is simply bizarre.
- [b]A Pass Alternative[/b], by Rex Deash ........................................ a simple move to cut a stack while pretending not to.

Aaaaaand... a few minutes after I posted the above message, here's another one from [b]Ken Muller[/b] who sets and describes atmospheres so well. Now he touches on pendulums. If you use them, you will be happy you read this. If you don't use them, you will want to, and will have Ken's advice and stories to be inspired by. Ladies and gentlemen, here's "[i]Pend Ulum[/i]".

- [b]Back in a Flash[/b], by Ken Muller ............................................. telepathy you do with your back turned, with or without 'social distancing'.
- [b]Vividly Positive[/b], by IPE ...................................................... propless (almost) and imaginative, an unequivocally intriguing piece...
- [b]Dark Horizon[/b], by the Uknown Mentalist ................................. thoughts and language are intrically connected, and letters are important.
- [b]Test of the Stones[/b], by Tony Shechtman ................................ hold on to your teeth, this is simply bizarre.
- [b]A Pass Alternative[/b], by Rex Deash ........................................ a simple move to cut a stack while pretending not to.
- [b]Pend Ulum[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................... ideas around pendulums and stories to inspire you.

I can't find this:
Grün, by Darko ................................................................. a simple and direct thought-of-card.

Please check it!
Thank you!
[quote]On Aug 2, 2020, hcs wrote:
I can't find this:
Grün, by Darko ................................................................. a simple and direct thought-of-card. [/quote]
It is in the Drive Folder. It wasn't in the DropBox one, it should be now.
You are probably familiar with Bob Cassidy's "[i]Chronologue[/i]", his effect involving a diary and a card. There have been many variations, and as a matter of fact, my own ("[i]Agendaminaux[/i]") is already in the folder.
[b]Jose[/b] changed the structure just a bit, making use of two marketed methods or gimmicks --which you can choose to use too or to replace with different ones, because that's not what makes this interesting. What does is the mindreading bit he added in "[i]The Psychic Diary[/i]".

- [b]Pend Ulum[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................... ideas around pendulums and stories to inspire you.
- [b]The Psychic Diary[/b], by Jose Fernandez .................................. a variation on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue" where you also find the birthdate.

I must apologize to you and to [b]Nestor D.[/b], who sent me "[i]Water Stone[/i]" months ago! At first, I had a good reason not to put it in the folder right away: I wanted him to make it even better. Then he told me he was happy with it but I should write my own version and add it too. Well, I will put my comments and suggestions in the folder, as Nestor suggested, but later. I don't want to make you wait more for that cute piece that contains nice and original ideas!
It does require a gimmick, but the kind of which you probably already have --or should! I bought or made myself a few...
So, here is Nestor D's "[i]Water Stone[/i]".

- [b]The Psychic Diary[/b], by Jose Fernandez .................................. a variation on Bob Cassidy's "Chronologue" where you also find the birthdate.
- [b]Water Stone[/b], by Nestor D. ................................................. pseudo-psychometry with a twist.

Here is a new entry: [b]Pure ESP[/b], telepathy (maybe). A phone is used, but the secret is not an app: it's an old principle that Joe has adapted to smartphones so he could be ready to perform this any time.

- [b]Water Stone[/b], by Nestor D. ................................................. pseudo-psychometry with a twist.
- [b]Pure ESP[/b], by Joe Mghames .................................................. Casual one-symbol telepathy using an phone (no app).

What a great idea!!
I will try to put something together for this after I finish the massive Switchcraft supplement in progress.
Aaaand... the electronical ink of my former post isn't even dry yet, there comes another contribution! [b]Mr Woolery[/b] liked Nostor D.'s [b][i]Halloween Anagram[/i][/b] enough he decided to adapt it so it would play in English. He also performed it over Internet!
So, rejoice you poor non-French speakers ;) Patrick presents you with [b][i]Halloween Anagram modification[/i][/b]!

- [b]Pure ESP[/b], by Joe Mghames .................................................. Casual one-symbol telepathy using an phone (no app).
- [b]Halloween Anagram modification[/b], by Patrick Woolery ............ letters, a pendulum, now in English!

[quote]On Dec 8, 2020, ElliottB wrote:
What a great idea!!
I will try to put something together for this after I finish the massive Switchcraft supplement in progress. [/quote]

I am always amazed when I receive updates for this really unique piece of work that "Switchcraft" is! Thank you :D I *love* billetwork :love:
We all look forward to receiving a contribution from you!
I think I need to learn French. I’m missing out on good ideas by being a monoglot. So glad you and Nestor are multilingual!

Patrick
[quote]On Dec 9, 2020, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I think I need to learn French. I’m missing out on good ideas by being a monoglot. So glad you and Nestor are multilingual!

Patrick [/quote]
1) Thank you ♥, and I'm sure Nestor will enjoy that compliment too :)
2) An advice that is often given in France to people who want to learn magic is, "[i]learn English![/i]" ;)
3) And, I don't know if the Shared Folder would have as many contributors if it were in French. For some of said contributors, English is the mother tongue, for others it's French, Spanish or German... or maybe even another languages! :D
A few days ago, [b]Ken Muller[/b] sent me a description of a very intriguing and very interesting effect he had been working on. I certainly hope he develops it enough to release it as it looks like the sort of effect any mentalist would like to be able to perform. Well, this work lead him to put into writing what he is sharing with us today: some thoughts and hints about about "[i]special skills for unscheduled performance opportunities[/i]". Reading this made me all the more imatient of the day when we can have a normal social life again --and perform, and entertain and baffle our friends and their guests!

- [b]Halloween Anagram modification[/b], by Patrick Woolery ............ letters, a pendulum, now in English!
- [b]Aware & Cue[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................ thoughts and hints about performing impromtu

I was looking at that list the other day, amazed at its length and contents! That folder would make quite a big and valuable book on my shelves. And it is still growing. Look at this: now 44 entries about techniques, routines, thoughts, written by 23 people with various mindsets and approaches... That's the beauty of sharing, or one of its beauties: being confronted to different ways of thinking, of looking at the world, to different methods or presentations, to various performing styles...

Today's entry is a card reveal by [b]Mark Elsdon[/b]. It might surprise you as it ends with what is usually the beginning of the process, but there is a good reason for that. This deals with card moves as well as psychological forces, practicalities as well as more theoretical thoughts, which will probably trigger some more thoughts in you mind. We like what is not only interesting in itself, but also a seed... This is "[i]The MM Reveal[/i]"

- [b]Aware & Cue[/b], by Ken Muller ................................................ thoughts and hints about performing impromtu
- [b]The MM Reveal[/b], by Mark Elsdon ............................................ a card reveal that proves mindreading is real and will ensure your paritipant remembers your name.
Aaaaand... 45! This one I had to choose a name for, because [b]Jose Fernandez[/b] hadn't. The title of his document was just "[i]Another effect contributed to the Share a Routine Project by Jose Fernandez.[/i]. That's not a name, is it? So I went for "[i]Major Credit Cards[/i]", because... you'll know when you read it ;)

- [b]The MM Reveal[/b], by Mark Elsdon ............................................ a card reveal that's proves mindreading is real and will ensure your paritipant remembers your name.
- [b]Major Credit Cards[/b], by Jose Fernandez .................................. cash or card (or card? or card? or card)? either way, you knew!
It turns out Jose had a name for his routine, but forgot to write it into the text. I thought of leaving the name I had decided, and thus add to the many stories and legends of our art: "[i]In actual fact, Jose had called the routine 'Credit Choice', but after he forgot to write it, Cervier came up with 'Major Credit Cards' and from then on that's how it's been called...[/i]" -- A bit like the "[i]White Dwarf[/i]" anecdote ;)

Well, so much for that "legend-to-be": I've changed the title and name to what the author wanted them to be. "[i]Credit Choice[/i]".
Do you know this feeling when you start to work on a routine and suddenly, more ideas pop out, opening windows to a bigger picture, revealing principles that unifiy all those thoughts? Well, I would bet that's what [b]Ken Muller[/b] is currently going through! He started with the idea for a routine that served as a support for a principle he wanted to explore, and that lead to more and more ideas and reflections. While he progresses on those tracks, he shares with us some bits and pieces from his workshop. After "Aware & Cue", he is sharing more thoughts, this time about a principle that is useful to frame mentalism routines. Here's "[i]Beta Framing & Telepathy[/i]".

To all current contributors reading this post: I intend on expanding a little this project. If you haven't received an email from me by the end of this month (feb. 2021), please pm me. And if you know I don't have your email address, please pm me as well.

- [b]The MM Reveal[/b], by Mark Elsdon ............................................ a card reveal that's proves mindreading is real and will ensure your paritipant remembers your name.
- [b]Credit Choice[/b], by Jose Fernandez ........................................ cash or card (or card? or card? or card)? either way, you knew!
- [b]Beta Framing & Telepathy[/b], by Ken Muller ............................. a solid way to frame many mentalism routines.