(Close Window)
Topic: Best Borrowed Ring on String Routine?
Message: Posted by: Professor Schreibman (Nov 10, 2019 09:54AM)
I'm interested in opinions as to the best Borrowed Ring on String Routine for me to learn?
I have Greg Wilson's Ring Leader.
But before I spend the lime learning and practicing Greg's moves, I'd like to check out some moves/routines that others are willing to share/sell.
I really like "the Relentless Ring & String Routine" with Bob Miller & DJ Ehlert..
reasonablely priced, very well explained! Great DVD
Nala
I second that about Bobs relentless ring on string.
Real good been doing it for years.
Can not remember when I didn’t get Audible gasps during the routine.
Nickoli
Ad bob uses my string off routine
I can't speak for the "best", but one that I have gotten very good responses to, is a 1 phase effect with a loop of string strung between the thumbs of the spectator, and the ring is on that loop in between the spectators thumbs. With no cover, no gimmicks, no dup's you take that ring off the string right under the spectators nose. That closeness/connectedness is a big part of the amazement.

This is an old method that appears in many books, but you can find it in Magic for Dummies.

John
The best is the one that you come up with to suit you and your style of magic best, so my recommendation is that if you have Greg Wilson's Ringleader dvd you have the perfect source to come up with your own routine.
I second warren's post.

If I remember correctly Greg Wilson teaches his routine but also goes IN DEPTH into all sorts of moves and effect with a ring and a string. It is over an hour extra instructions after he teaches Ring Leader.

Of course, you should definitely research other sources and Greg again provides a lot of credits and names of people you might want to look into.
L&L Publishing sells the World's Greatest Magic: Finger Ring Magic. There are at least 4 or 5 finger ring and string routines by different people. That could be a good place to get some perspective.
Check out the suggestions on this Café page...
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=705464&forum=4
[quote]On Dec 25, 2019, _W_ wrote:
L&L Publishing sells the World's Greatest Magic: Finger Ring Magic. There are at least 4 or 5 finger ring and string routines by different people. That could be a good place to get some perspective. [/quote]

this must be the best way to start learning ring and string routine. People always ignore the most obvious way. you just can't beat it. those routine are all classic and time tested.
Al Schneider's Off. Just looks like real magic. I am not so sure the way so many whip the ring up and down that spec's are so dumb as not to suspect the ring is being whipped secretly off the ring. IMHO it looks much better being simple, with the ends held by the specs.
Countrymaven:

I thought I had a demo of Al's routine, but not. Do have a link to it?

Thanks;
John
Sorry I meant the ring is being whipped off the string. I don't have a link currently, but I will NEVER forget it. But it is not hard to find.
John you are such a gentleman, I looked this up. I only found that it is on the Al Schneider technique.
Trust me this rocks.
Mark Leveridge "The Ring & String Routine" is on the L&L WGM DVD and his L&L "Master Routines" DVD. Some parts of the routine are OK (standard) but others are fantastic! I tried to learn this from the printed manuscript but the video explanation makes it all clear! I would get the L&L DVD, the Greg Wilson DVD, and the "Relentless.." DVD for more than enough material to put your own routine together....I have been far too obsessed with ring and string & ring and rope routines, let me know if you need any other references as there are many here on the Café....
Hands down, Greg Wilson, for me as well.
Scott Guinn's "Symphony of the Ring & String". Excellent routine!

https://www.lybrary.com/symphony-for-ring-string-p-81753.html

Jim
Nick Einhorn explain in his live lecture a routine that's I like very much. It is short, direct and he has a perfect ending!
I also strongly endorse The Relentless Ring and String Routine.
Any consideration of "best" is subjective, of course - and many fine suggestions above will provide any student with sufficient material/method to evolve their own, but ...

Please remember that often "less" is "best." Always be prepared to cut your favorite routine short depending on setting, situation, audience reaction, etc.
Never allow some desire for skill demonstration to override "audience engagement" and any overkill of a magic moment.

This does not mean that you must stop performing when "enough is enough" - just that you shift to something else.
Just checked on Bob Miller's website for his routine and discovered that you get the PDF of his routine for FREE directly from him through his website!
He will also give you a coupon for 50% off of his selling price on the DVD if you wish to purchase that as well.
Soooooo, what is that website?
Hey John it's

http://bobmillerinc-com.3dcartstores.com/%E2%80%A2-Free_c_25.html
Thanks
Dan Fleshman has a terrific routine if I remember correctly.

I would suggest to learn a lot of moves and practice them. Make a few phased routine.

More moves will help You in different scenarios.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, Jim Sisti has some work on this as well. Do check that out.
Spellbinder's "Fellowship of the Ring", from The Wizards' Journal #21, is a little more complicated than just a borrowed ring on a string in that it makes use of two different color ribbons and the ring travels from one ribbon to the other. By involving four spectators to guard the borrowed ring (one holding each end of the two ribbons), you create a "Fellowship of Ring Guardians" to turn a close-up trick to a full stage extravaganza. That doesn't make it "best" but certainly makes it "bigger."
I also really enjoyed Nicholas einhorns ring on string and other ring effects he covers on his at the table lecture. He combines it with a ring flute and nest of wallets for a longer routine if you wanted to add that too
[quote]On Mar 14, 2020, John Long wrote:
Hey John it's

http://bobmillerinc-com.3dcartstores.com/%E2%80%A2-Free_c_25.html [/quote]

Thank you
I would also suggest checking out Diamond Jim Tyler’s routine on his “Pockets Full of Miracles“ DVD. His routine is not difficult to learn, and builds to keep the interest of the spectators. I modified it a bit to make it my own, and have enjoyed doing it for years. There are several other good effects on that DVD asl well. :xmastree:
[quote]On Nov 11, 2019, vinsmagic wrote:
And bob uses my string off routine [/quote]

This is really interesting. Two magicians claim a routine that Roy Johnson of England created in the early 1960's or before. He published it in his 1st book. I learned it in the 1970's, when Ken Brooke sold the complete routine with finger rings included. Each person has added a little something, but noting major to the complete routine. In fact they have removed a good portion of the routine. This makes me think, who published the original routine for Bob Miller, vinny, and Roy Johnson to have almost identical routines.
Bill, Bob Miller's ebook has a page of references stating the originator of each part of his routine. I don't have it with me now or I would list them.

Jim
[quote]On Feb 13, 2020, Threecard wrote:
Mark Leveridge "The Ring & String Routine" is on the L&L WGM DVD and his L&L "Master Routines" DVD. Some parts of the routine are OK (standard) but others are fantastic! I tried to learn this from the printed manuscript but the video explanation makes it all clear! [/quote]

I learned his ring-on move from the manuscript and made one little change to it. It fries audiences!
I second Greg Wilson's DVD as a good "summing up" of a lot of the options out there. Not specifically ring-specific, but it tied a lot into what I read in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Rope book [mainly as an idea jumping off point]. I'm saving up for Daryl's DVD on Rope tricks - I'll drop feedback when I get it.
Bill I thought my ring on ring off move from the middle of the string,that at bob uses in his second dvd I do it with any size ring.
so I only claim my effect,,,,,,,, if you want to see I go to utube and check it out I also teach it for free and I also0 so had it here on the Café
Hey bill this is my ring on and ring oif from the from a double knot from the middle of the string

https://youtu.be/QYrXYP0rFeo and I gave Bob miller permission to use this on his 2nd dvd

vinny
Vinny:

This looks good!
It's like a nice Sefalalgia, but w/o the pin.

This look like what you had sent me a few years ago (thanks), did you change it any?

John
No its free to any one that asks I gave this Bob MILLER TO PUT ON HIS SECOND DVD HE CHANGED THE NME OF IT
WITHOUT ASKING ME....
MIF U WANT THE HANDLING ILL SEND IT TO U BILL HEGBILL NEVER RESPONDED BECause he said sit was created in 1960
no never changed it