(Close Window)
Topic: Fragment video download by Michael Murray
Here is the ad:

"Nice to see an effect that is not only a real magician fooler but also totally designed for real-world performing too!" - Jamie Daws

There has been a lot of buzz on Facebook these past few weeks regarding the impending release of Michael Murrays new 'ACAAN style' effect. After witnessing the effect in action Michael received the following messages -

"Wow, Just Wow!" - Jamie Daws
"Holy !@#$, that is incredible!" - Joel Dickinson
"Mate thatís genius!" - Run Andrews
"Wowwwwzasss!!!" - John Carey
"Thatís Insane!" - Mitchell Kettlewell
"You've had my head working overtime all night!" - Stevo Watson
"Thatís impossible!! Take my money!!!" - Nick Richmond

Best of all, there are no gaffs or gimmicks in play and since it requires no set-up, it can be performed at any time with a shuffled deck in use. Oh, we should also mention that this is very easy to perform too!

FURTHER INFORMATION COMING SOON!

Note: This effect will be released as a video download within the next two weeks.
Any news on this?
I did film the explanation for this just over a week ago but sadly my hands were off shot for some of it and so I hope to re-film it next week. It has been getting superb reactions from everyone so far so I am excited to get this one out! I will update this post as things progress ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Weíll be here.
This is honestly, brilliant! Firstly, it is sooo fooling. Every method I could think of was cancelled out by the fairness of what was happening. Second is how clever the method is. It really is a kick yourself moment, as soon as you see whats going on, you just want to try it out! Thirdly and in my opinion the most important thing is, it is a commercial effect which can (and I have) used this in the real world. It is simple for the spectator to follow, there is minimal procedure and easy to execute and it's engaging for the audience which in the type of effect, sometimes isn't the case. Bare in mind, Michael didn't ask for me to write anything and doesn't know I'm writing this. He also at no point asked me to comment on it and was simply sharing it to see what I thought. This comes from the heart because I think it is a great effect!

Jamie Daws
Hey guys,

So this is an in depth review at Michael Murray's new Fragment video download that will be available with you all very soon, within this month.

First off, how easy is this to perform? And is it doable/workable from a performance stand-point?

Yes, to answer the first question, as you do not need to know lots of card handling skills to be able to pull this off. There are various ways one could go about doing this, and Michael teaches several methods for you to pick and choose what you feel comfortable with.

Yes, to answer the second question. Can be done in any environment, no setup or stacked deck necessary, borrowed shuffled deck, and can be done with an incomplete deck as well.

So how does Fragment compare to the 2 new recent ACAAN downloads that are available on the market, like Think Nguyen's FreeCAAN, and also Chance ACAAN.

I have reviewed Chance ACAAN, and while the idea is good, I cannot see myself performing it, you can look up my review under latest and greatest.
FreeCAAN, is a very workable and doable effect, but there is a lot more that you need to do in order for it to work. Think Dani DaOrtiz style of magic.
Its good, and I certainly will use it, but I believe people are waiting for an ACAAN that really is mind boggling, surprising, fooling, easy to do, not a lot to do, and lets you focus on your presentation......enter FRAGMENT by Michael Murray.

Michael has fooled a lot of performers with this, as well as people that have seen it.
I have already performed it, and I agree with the others, that it really is a great solution to the plot, since and here is the big "ONE" the card and number exist only in the spectator's mind, and they at no time say anything out loud, so it seems impossible for you to know what their card is, let alone their number.
The structuring, psychology, framing, presentation, all weave together to an effect that can and will play big anytime, anywhere.
This reminded me of another great CAAN by Atlas Brookings and Andrew Brown that I perform a lot called The Crusade. You can see a sprinkle of The Crusade in here, but it is nothing like The Crusade. I use the Crusade a lot, and there are times where I will perform The Crusade for 2 people, and now you can follow it up with Michael's Fragment, if someone says do it again, then you can perform Fragment for just that 1 person, and they will be expecting something similar to The Crusade, but you will take them on a totally different ride.

I suspect Fragment will be your go to ACAAN style effect, that will replace other ACAAN's since its impromptu, and you don't even need to use your deck of cards.
Fragment will be to worker ACAANs, as Daniel Garcia's Torn will be to TnR effects, for example. This will be your workhorse effect, that you will always want to perform since it can literally be done anywhere you desire.

Again, I must point out, that you will be able to perform this within minutes of learning, but don't let that deter you from the fact, that since its easy, it is not good. Sometimes the easiest effects/methods garner the best responses. I know, I have been personally performing Rainbow by SeoMagic, for a long time now, and that is the easiest effect out of my repertoire, and it is one of the effects that people will remember forever.

If you focus on your presentation, and routine, this effect will play huge.

Plus it will be inexpensive when available to download, and I suspect you will love it.

This will be the new standard in the way people will perform an ACAAN style of effect, and the most interesting part and baffling is that the spectator never once mentions their card or thought of number, yet, you will know, and you will want to perform this every chance you get. I know I do.

Watch this space soon, since Michael is re-filming the explanation video this week, so it should be available in no time.

Plus we all love Michael, and know he is a genius creator, and always comes up with workable and great effects and principles, like Springboard, CUPS, and more.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
Love this, I can think of a way it could be done except Michael clearly didnít do the move that would be required. If I were Penn & Teller Iíd have to say ďHe fooled meĒ.

Mark
Definitely looking forward to this.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Definitely looking forward to this. [/quote]

👍👍 same here.
Ditto. Looking forward to it.
Great review Alex, thx
Any update? You know some of us (*ahem*, me) are eagerly waiting to learn more. :)
Message: Posted by: Your Thinking Cap (Dec 23, 2019 01:26PM)
Any updates? Looking for something to gift myself for the holidays :)
Sadly the explanation footage I shot wasnít up to par and so I will be re-filming that very soon after Christmas ;)

Wishing each and everyone of you all the very best in the interim!

Best Wishes Michael
[quote]On Dec 7, 2019, celebrity wrote:
I did film the explanation for this just over a week ago but sadly my hands were off shot for some of it and so I hope to re-film it next week. It has been getting superb reactions from everyone so far so I am excited to get this one out! I will update this post as things progress ;)

Best Wishes Michael [/quote]

You shouldíve said next month. :happyxmas:
Any updates ?
[quote]On Dec 30, 2019, doriancaudal wrote:
Any updates ? [/quote]

Whilst I agree with you that the 30th of December is very soon after Christmas, I feel it may be that Michael wants a few more days with family before "returning to work". I bet he has at least a few drinks tonight! :)

Have one on me, Mr Murray!
Next year :P
[quote]On Dec 23, 2019, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Dec 7, 2019, celebrity wrote:

You shouldíve said next month. :happyxmas: [/quote]

Told yer. :napping:
Hi Gents, I am just sipping on a nice single malt trying to shake off the final symptoms of a cold but once the new year is in and my children go back to school I will be making this my top priority to complete.

I have sent a few free copies of the existing walk through out to a few members of the Cafť (whom I asked not to post their thoughts until they had physically worked it so they can give an honest response), so hopefully some feedback good, bad or ugly will also be appearing early in the new year too.

Wishing each and every one of you all the very best for the New Year!

Michael
Happy New Year, looking forward to this :)
Single malt and honey is the cure so Iím told. All the best Michael. Get well soon.
Any new updates?
I had filming booked in for last Tuesday but rather clumsily managed to stab a craft knife into my thumb on that very morning whilst searching through a box. Whilst the wound was small it was quite deep and wouldnít stop bleeding which wouldnít have made for good viewing ha ha

All is healing nicely and I have a full days filming booked in for this Tuesday and so I am hoping to edit and release next week ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Thanks for the update.
Hope youíre healing up ok
The wait will be worth it. I do own and have purchased lots of Michaels stuff but every so often he surprises me with something. I suppose since it was Christmas he felt a need to send me Fragment and I'm glad he did.

I first watched the performance video and around each corner I thought, Oh when am I going to see the move? Never saw the move. I then thought, how the heck is he going to pull this off. Well, he did.

I then of course watched the explanation vid. Wow. Well within even my limited card handling ability. Every aspect is covered. No matter what they say.

You all will really like this one, I believe. It will work 100% of the time. Any deck, even a less than complete deck. Doesn't matter. It will work. They shuffle....haha

I don't think it will matter how many times you watch the performance I don't believe you will catch anything. (unless you're "one of those")

Can't wait for release date. Hang in there. Michael has never disappointed.

J
[quote]On Jan 12, 2020, celebrity wrote:
I had filming booked in for last Tuesday but rather clumsily managed to stab a craft knife into my thumb on that very morning whilst searching through a box. [/quote]

Yikes! The first thing I ever published featured pictures of me wearing a thumb tip that wasn't used in the effect, because I had done that very same thing. Get well soon!
Nowís the time for Ran Pinks Cut :)
Michael was kind enough to let me have a go at this. First and foremost this is Michael Murray, so you know he's put thought into it and that it's good. He was also very insistent on making sure I road-tested it before commenting on it. You gotta appreciate that.

It's great. And one of the highest compliments I can say about this is that it's got a vibe of "Dai Vernon" to it (to me that's a compliment anyway). Organic, well-thought out and (in the right hands) a stunner. But first let me get the negatives out of the way as there were a few.

For one, while the start isn't exactly procedural, you'll want to entertain your audience while you begin/go through the first part of the trick. I was glad to see Michael talking during this part and it flew by just fine. It's minor, and most wouldn't care. Second, he makes a presentation choice I didn't like, and frankly, doesn't make sense to me. I think I told him my thoughts on it (I can't remember, and if not, sorry Michael). But in essence, there's a point where the effect requires a statement to the spectator about knowing their card, and to elevate this beyond a "mere card trick" and move more into really doing what you're saying (using intuition, hunches, reading queues, plus that little bit of "magic") there's something I choose to present differently, and maybe I'm biased, but I like my approach better. That said, my change is subtle (I act unsure, hesitant, then say I want to do even more and double down and that they should hang tight. Kind of a "try big, then win big or lose big". In other words, I don't know their card 100%, but want to give it a shot anyway, justifying my double down into the next phase).

The good. It's easy, fun and impressive. The first time I watched it (and I noticed, and laughed, when I saw John say the same thing), it flew by me, yet going back thinking I "knew" where/when to look if my hunch was right, he still got me. In the end, it turns out I was right but missed the critical part because it's so simple and innocent. It fooled me. Well played sir.

This trick is not knuckle-busting at all, and in fact if some things trouble you, there are alternatives (absolutely as good, too). The main strengths of this are the fact that it's organic, impromptu (you can borrow a deck, including if it isn't full), and YOU make it worth it. That, to me, is his biggest strength. You're getting two pieces of information right and proving it. It's a stunner.

Any performer who gets this trick should really think about what they're presenting. I can't stress that enough with most tricks like this. Case in point, when I used my Razor wallet today, I knew the people I was with would be smarter than most audiences since they've seen my magic before, so I led them down the wrong path intentionally by giving a plausible, pseudo explanation (the whole, "I'll say the numbers 1-10, but don't react. Even though you try--here, you guys lean in and watch this, there are always subtle clues--I'll still pick up on things you don't know you're doing") and repeating the process a few times to sell fake tells. In the end, they think I'm an expert lie detector. Ha. Nope. Just a peek. With this trick, you're divining their thoughts and proving it. So you want to act like it and build your presentation around it.

If you're a fan of Michael, you'll love this. If not, you'll love this. I stretched it out a little longer and milked what was taking place, and stunned folks at the coffee shop. And this was after they've already seen my do my t-watch routine. :) Recommended.

Watch this space when he releases it.
Very much looking forward to this. His work consistently impresses me and I love his previous thinking with the plot with Recreation, as despite its limitations was so clever yet so simple. Sounds like this may be along those lines but much more practical.
Many thanks for the kind words gents, I am pleased to hear that you are having fun with it! Filming is all booked in for tomorrow and I have three sets of hands helping me so all should be good.

I promise to stay away from sharp implements too. I will be sure to update everyone how it goes tomorrow and although this isnít set in stone my aim is to have it edited and released before the week is over.

P.S If anyone wants to reserve judgment and have this performed on them first hand at Blackpool just head over and see me on the MindFX stand ;)

Best Wishes Michael
I'll be grabbing this, for sure. Michael Murray + something along the lines of Atlas's brilliant 'Crusade'? Yes please!
[quote]On Jan 13, 2020, celebrity wrote:
Many thanks for the kind words gents, I am pleased to hear that you are having fun with it! Filming is all booked in for tomorrow and I have three sets of hands helping me so all should be good.

I promise to stay away from sharp implements too. I will be sure to update everyone how it goes tomorrow and although this isnít set in stone my aim is to have it edited and released before the week is over.

P.S If anyone wants to reserve judgment and have this performed on them first hand at Blackpool just head over and see me on the MindFX stand ;)

Given how many "false starts" has happened on the filming of this effect, I fear this may be cursed. But, of course, that only makes me want it *even more*. :D
It's worth waiting for.
Sooooo, the venue called to say the original room was off limits, but provided another. Got there set up and discovered that I had left the camera batteries back at the office. Got caught in a traffic jam, got back to the venue, hit my car door off a wall due to wind, smashed my glasses when I assessed the damage but still managed to get all of the filming done.

Editing starts tomorrow morning, right now I need a rest ha ha

;)
Good God man!!! Who did you anger??! :)

(Thanks for the updates, very appreciated)
Just angry at myself for my own clumsiness ha ha ;)

Will begin editing tomorrow and the footage looks great, just hope the sound is too when I get it in the editing suite but I do have a plan b for that as my ugly mush isn't in shot so I can easy do a voice over if required.

Best Wishes Michael
Michael, thanks for taking the time to keep us informed 👍🏽
[quote]On Jan 14, 2020, celebrity wrote:
Sooooo, the venue called to say the original room was off limits, but provided another. Got there set up and discovered that I had left the camera batteries back at the office. Got caught in a traffic jam, got back to the venue, hit my car door off a wall due to wind, smashed my glasses when I assessed the damage but still managed to get all of the filming done.

Editing starts tomorrow morning, right now I need a rest ha ha

;) [/quote]

I TOLD you that this was cursed. I can't wait for the next update on what went wrong in the editing. Each update only makes me want this more. :)
He caught Turners filming curse, we may have to perform an exorcism:)
I am pleased to report that the editing is coming along fine and I hope to complete it tomorrow ;)

Best Wishes Michael
[quote]On Jan 15, 2020, celebrity wrote:
I am pleased to report that the editing is coming along fine and I hope to complete it tomorrow ;)

Don't jinx it man!
Explanation editing all complete along with three performance videos. I will be making this available today ;)

Best Wishes Michael
This is so good. I got a chance to see two of the demos on this, and it fooled the heck out of me. Itís not a pipe dream, and I was thinking about the core method just yesterday, wondering why I canít think of simple solutions like this and Michael can. He just has a gift. This is a good sign for 2020! Congrats to Michael.
Https://www.mindfx.co.uk/collections/new-arrivals-1/products/fragment-by-michael-murray-video-download
I watched the video...which tells me nothing, except that it appears in all three cut-aways that the spectator always chooses a low number. I am still waiting to learn if the method for spec to select a number and method to think of a card is wanky or it is something that will not scream "very limited choice" to spectator. I have been burned too many times to spend my money before actual reviews are posted. I hope this is something that will fool laymen, if not magicians. Growing very weary of over-hyped effects, especially ACAAN. Crossing my fingers on this one.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, dscanning wrote:
I watched the video...which tells me nothing, except that it appears in all three cut-aways that the spectator always chooses a low number. I am still waiting to learn if the method for spec to select a number and method to think of a card is wanky or it is something that will not scream "very limited choice" to spectator. I have been burned too many times to spend my money before actual reviews are posted. I hope this is something that will fool laymen, if not magicians. Growing very weary of over-hyped effects, especially ACAAN. Crossing my fingers on this one. [/quote]

Wise words my friend. However, the price is very fair which reflects Michael as a person. A true Gent, even though heís a Geordie. :rotf:
This can be any number 1-52 and is not magician-restrictive at all.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, pegasus wrote:

Wise words my friend. However, the price is very fair which reflects Michael as a person. A true Gent, even though heís a Geordie. :rotf: [/quote]

Right on. He is a creative mastermind with principles many of us use all the time. This is a great price and great routine.
I just bought it, but never got the email with the download. Please help me with this Michael.
Thanks
I had an issue also and had to put the order through twice. But I did get a confirmation email and Iím looking forward to this.
Maybe itís me.
Just bought the trick but cannot see where is the download.
Any help?
We're all facing the same issue. Maybe Michael could help.
Probably get a link sometime today Iím guessing.
Also bought this as soon as it came out. Michael can sometimes take a little bit to send out the downloads - I feel sometimes he sends individual emails to purchasers. I, for one, love this approach. Makes me feel like a valued customer, as opposed to a singular fish in the ocean.
Iím impressed with how he priced this, very fair imo.
Patience. He will send. This is a presale for those on his mailing list.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, 252life wrote:
Iím impressed with how he priced this, very fair imo. [/quote]

Agreed. Especially compared to those who release sh*** books at 3 times the price with zero content.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, 252life wrote:
Iím impressed with how he priced this, very fair imo. [/quote]

Agreed. Especially compared to those who release sh*** books at 3 times the price with zero content. [/quote]

Amen. Couldnít agree more.
Hey guys,

I have been using this since Michael first shared this with me, and this is only the 1st iteration, Michael said he changed it up to make it even better and more fooling.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

This absolutely slays everyone I have shown it to, and you all are in for a real treat today once you see the method.

The easiest most deceptive ACAAN, doesn't get any better than this. So fair, yet so diabolical.

Once you have had a look I am curious to see your reactions to the effect, method, as well as going out and performing it. I am glad Michael has decided to share this, and hope you get as much use out of this as I have.

Alex Alejandro
I have been sitting on this for quite some time now. Michael shared it with me back in November and I was blown away. Typical Murray genius. Itís so simple and so deceptive. Itís a totally new take on ACAAN (even though it seems someone SHOULD have already thought of this.)

I gave it the wife test after learning and it and it fooled her BAD. It just seems too fair. Michaelís demo shows just how deceptive it is. There are several smart additions which aid in the deceptiveness.

I donít think anyone will be disappointed with this.

Madison
Ok, so I've just watched the explanation (as well as the full uncut performances) and thought I'd give a little (unbiased) review for anyone who cares what a new and not-yet-established member of the Cafť think about this trick.

The plot is very straight-forward (focusing more on mind reading than on magic), and there are no overly unnatural / unusual actions done by the performer. Everything feels as it potentially should. There is one "move", and in all honesty it's not even really a move, as if the spectator were to catch you doing it, they wouldn't really come any closer to knowing the method at all. This is not to say that the move SHOULD be done openly (on the off-beat is always preferable), but simply to reassure people that it is hardly a sleight and hardly anything overly suspicious. There are alternatives to the main "move" presented that are even less sleight-heavy (not that the first one is) and can be burned more by the spectator for those that would prefer something along those lines. All variations taught make sense in the context of the routine, and aren't just shown as not-thought-out fillers.

Not wanting to say too much before Michael openly releases the full performances, I'll try to remain somewhat vague as to the specifics of the card and number thought of. Suffice it to say that the number can truly be anywhere from 1-52, and the card is not forced. Also, it is worth noting that the performer has no knowledge of either the card or the number before the finale of the trick, in which the card is revealed to be at the number.

In general, the method is incredibly easy and is nothing revolutionary (not that this is a bad thing). I trust all the glowing reviews will be enough to make sure that nobody dismisses the method in fear of it being too transparent or obvious to the spectator - I assure you it is not. The handling is very hands-off, with the spectator cutting and shuffling (parts) of the deck at various points throughout the routine. The spectator can deal to the card themselves, as by that point all the "dirty work" is complete.

The only "negative" point I would make is that a certain aspect of the method (can't really go into details here, but it is related to the spectator's shuffling during the routine) may come across as slightly illogical (TO MAGICIANS / MENTALISTS). I don't think this is enough of a downside to negate all the positives, and I highly doubt spectators would give it much second thought at all - it is somewhat justified in the routine and isn't in any way random or dodgy as a process.

As is to be expected from MindFX products, the explanation is great, and goes over everything in more-than-sufficient detail. Michael also does a good job of crediting various people that he sees as having had similar ideas (to at least parts of his own trick).

All in all, I highly recommend this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all early orders also receive a copy of Michael's "Recreation", which is another ACAAN. I can't comment on that just yet (have only started reading it), but it's very generous of Michael to offer this as a bonus to early purchasers.
Many thanks for the support gents, all orders have now been emailed out. As mentioned these are all done manually which saves me having to add VAT on them. As mentioned at the top of the product description I will be adding a full performance clip to the site on Monday and in the interim am offering a free copy of my ReCreation ACAAN with this product through till Monday as a thanks for the faith in my work ;)

Many thanks for the in depth initial feedback too Derotanim, I am sure you will love it when you put it to use. Be sure to let us know how it plays for you too!

Pegasus, since you were one of the very first to show interest in this shoot me a pm and I will gift you a free copy, the only condition I ask is that you give it an honest review after you have tried it in performance (without any rush to do so).

Wishing you all a great weekend!!!

Best Wishes Michael
Very kind Michael but I shall buy my copy like everyone else. I shall wait for a few more reviews before doing so though. :rotf:
Just finished watching all the material as well. Lovely. Simple.

I have not yet performed it, but I think anyone with basic card handling could perform this right away. It is always nice to have simple, virtually self-working, effects ready to go that could be done anytime you are asked to "do something". This lands right in that category for me.

The subtleties are very clever, there are enough elements that make this feel different than other ACAAN's. Mr. Murray should feel quite proud of this release.

Thank you!
I received this and immediately watched the videos!

The production is very straightforward with no frills- just clear concise instructions. While this is great as an ACAAN, I love how Michael details the alternatives which is in reality a toolbox on its own and I will be using some of those techniques in other card work.

As for the ACAAN effect, it is very direct. Yes, it is well suited for a mentalist. I would not play it as coincidence or magic (one can spin it like if they want to). The so-called 'move' is very well choreographed you are more than likely to not see it during the performance. This just shows the extra layers not advertised.

This effect works from a borrowed shuffled deck with 1-52 choice of number. That alone is enough.

I agree with Derotanim about the 'negative point'. It is us nitpicking but there are those audience members who can actually bring it under the spotlight.

My other main negative is with a specific angle in the presentation that I am seeing more and more in ACAAN especially as mentalists: "I will position you card at your number".

Michael does a lovely job making sense of it but it in my opinion, it causes confusion and questions to be asked even after the effect is done. They will not know how the effect is done. But that point if and when they question it will take away from the effect. Again, this is my opinion performing ACAAN. The Crusade had the same angle and I did not like it after a while.

If the same piece is performed as a magician, then there are few presentations that will not only make sense, but make it more amazing (with few handling changes).

Overall, I love this piece and I am already working on tweaking it to fit my style.

Great work Michael and such an awesome price for an anytime, anywhere piece.

P.S.: Even though I already own ReCreation, it is a hidden gem that while situational (and thus limited), is devastating!
Just got my email download from Michael too. Congrats on another well put together project my friend! Keep em coming Michael!
Many thanks for all the feedback gents, I know you will love it even more when you guys start working it.

You may be happy to know that I have big plans this year and am in the process of closing a deal to purchase some new premises right next door to my office which will be exclusively used for filming projects. This will allow me to raise the standard of the video production and will also allow me to produce more videos for both new and existing material.

Best Wishes Michael
Very kind Michael but I shall buy my copy like everyone else. I shall wait for a few more reviews before doing so though. :rotf: [/quote]
Iíll take Pegasusís 😀 but seriously I am looking forward to this and will most likely eventually buy it.
I know itís just me but I think the teaching is very poor way too quick itís like heís in a rush to get it filmed
First and last Iíll buy from Michael
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
I know itís just me but I think the teaching is very poor way too quick itís like heís in a rush to get it filmed
First and last Iíll buy from Michael [/quote]

You watched it in 2x.
I just watched it as well. Nice, simple, fooling concept. Easily adapted to slightly different moves that I'm already fairly proficient at. Presentationally flexible. Price is fair. Definitely a more casual, close up effect, though. I wouldn't do this on stage. Good stuff.
Can someone who has this answer yes or no to these ACAAN criteria ?

-deck on the table beforehand ?
-free choice of card ?
-free choice of number ?
-normal deck ?
-no manipulation, hands-off ?
-spectator does everything ?
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:

1. -deck on the table beforehand ?
2. -free choice of card ?
3. -free choice of number ?
4. -normal deck ?
5. -no manipulation, hands-off ?
6. -spectator does everything ? [/quote]

1. Yes
2. Yes-ish. Not forced, but not a completely randomly-thought-of card (although the card is random).
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Very hands-off, with minimal "manipulation" (barely) by the performer
6. No, but can do a lot / most of it

I don't know how an effect could satisfy all 6 of your conditions, and if it can, show me it - must be some kind of miracle! (Even Asi Wind's highly-regarded A.A.C.A.A.N. only meets the first 3 of these)
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
First and last Iíll buy from Michael [/quote]

I find this quite surprising - in the video I watched Michael went over everything a few times and in more-than-sufficient detail. Even if this product's explanation wasn't to your liking, Michael's / MindFX's other products are (at least!) equally fantastic and largely feature slow explanations (including when compared to Fragment). I wouldn't be so rash in ruling him as someone you'll never buy from again. Just my 2c.
I just bought it and watched the download. It's clever and simple. It definitely feels like something that should have come out long ago. I don't mean that in a bad way, just because of it's simplicity. I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. This fits my style very well. I like tricks that are easy to do, practically self working, and can be done with a normal shuffled deck. I think what will make this effect really shine is a good presentation. There is only one sort of slight odd bit with a shuffle the spectator does further in the effect. This has been mentioned previously. It's not really a big deal at all, but something that will benefit from a good presentation.

I really like it and will be using it for sure. Definitely worth the purchase in my opinion. It's actually one of the cleaner ACAAN effects out there when presented right.
Itís hard to judge this objectively right now, the glowing reviews and recurring statements of ďthis is a magician foolerĒ set my expectations at a certain level, and after seeing the price I realised those expectations probably werenít going to be met, and I needed to lower them... kinda hard though right?

I donít think I managed to lower them, which is why 3 hours on... Iím actively trying to filter out the subjective feelings I got after watching the first performance video. About 30 seconds in Michael gave the spectator the first instruction, and it was at that point I realised what method heíd be using, and was waiting to see when and how he would employ it. 20 seconds after that I saw him do it, and at that moment I had this feeling of ďthatís a shame, I really wish I was cluelessĒ. The next 2 mins were nice, Michael had added a couple of touches that spiced up what could have been a very boring presentation. The spectator loved it, which is a great sign. But I wonít lie I was a tad deflated. I donít think itís entirely wrong why I felt this way, but mostly wrong, Iíll explain why for those on the fence:

If Michael had performed this for me, and I didnít know what the conclusion was meant to be, he might have fooled me for a moment. Iím sure Iíd backtrack to the correct solution, but I would have been in the moment for the duration of the presentation, and walked away with a more positive outlook. But because that didnít happen, my mind focused on the POTENTIAL negative elements of the method; firstly the first part of the trick takes a bit of time (not too much) but enough for me to notice. Itís not procedural, but just unavoidably a bit long winded, and the potential issue is that this moment can double in length half the time.

Another issue running in tandem with this is that fact that the spectator must remember a number and a card without sharing that information.... I know that seems like a positive, and it is... but it can also cause an issue. If I asked someone to simply think of a number and a card, I wouldnít worry to much about them forgetting either piece of info (it would happen eventually, but hey-ho theyíd just admit to forgetting and Iíd move on). But with this method Iíd worry about it a tad more about them MISREMEMBERING. From experience using similar methods in the past, a spectator can easily misremember the suit, or get a bit flustered and completely misremember another piece of info entirely and thatís it, the trick will fail. Itís not a fear of forgetting, but a fear of misremembering thatís the issue. Iím not saying this will happen often, nor am I saying this risk canít be mitigated, all Iím saying is that my mind noticed this potential issue straight away, and itís worth mentioning.

The third potential issue is that due to the nature of the method, you basically have to present this with a mentalism-esque favour for the whole thing to make sense. A more traditional ACAAN (like asi winds) can be presented in so many more ways.

Iíve labelled all of these points as ďpotentialĒ issues, because I feel like a lot of people wonít be phased by them at all, and more importantly they are small in comparison to the positives:

This trick is similar to a couple of releases by atlas brookings, but I much prefer this version. Itís more streamlined and to the point, itís definitely more fooling (I think thatís why a few magicians were fooled in the first place), and ultimately it feels like itís getting to the conclusion in a more concise manor.

Itís incredibly easy to do, and there Is literally is no real restriction.

I would say itís a almost perfect trick to do when someone hands you a deck of cards.

Itís priced very well. I mean, WELL worth £12. So many creators have released arguably worse stuff for way more money. Itís great value even if you donít end up using it that often.

In conclusion, I actually really like the trick, but I donít like how the human mind works. If I had just not looked at any reviews and took a punt on it, and have walked away loving the improvements this trick has on previous offerings, and those negatives mentioned above wouldnít have bothered me anywhere near as much.

That said, I think this review might help lower the expectations of some people on the fence, and theyíll walk away feeling the way I wish I did. Iíd recommend this to anyone, but it isnít the best ACAAN I know.... but the best ACAAN I know is much harder than this and canít be presented the way in which this one can... so If you love the presentation, this might be the best ACAAN for you.

I think Iíll appreciate this trick more as time does on.
I am always fearful when a demo video bypasses the selection process. I wonder if a video showing the selection process for the card AND the selection process for the number will be forthcoming. Not showing either makes me think that they must be weak. Too many times, too many times I see reviews from magicians that tell us how badly they were fooled, only to find out they were fooled by principles or handlings that are in most beginner books. I hope this is as good as many have said, but I cannot plunk down my hard earned cash for something that is over-hyped and just a tired, re-work of an old math-magic process. I hope I am wrong, and this is a knock-out! But I need more convincing...
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, dscanning wrote:
I am always fearful when a demo video bypasses the selection process. I wonder if a video showing the selection process for the card AND the selection process for the number will be forthcoming. Not showing either makes me think that they must be weak. Too many times, too many times I see reviews from magicians that tell us how badly they were fooled, only to find out they were fooled by principles or handlings that are in most beginner books. I hope this is as good as many have said, but I cannot plunk down my hard earned cash for something that is over-hyped and just a tired, re-work of an old math-magic process. I hope I am wrong, and this is a knock-out! But I need more convincing... [/quote]

Well Michael has said he's posting a full performance on Monday, so you can make up your mind then. In the meantime, I picked this up earlier today. Its a very solid effect, but if you go into this expecting a pure ACAAN (e.g. "they name a card, name a number, deal down and its there", this is not for you) - the tagline on the cover even says its "NOT the grail you are looking for". What you are getting is a well constructed effect that is impromptu, easy to do and deceptive.

Personally I was not a fan of the procedure involved for a few reasons - and while the scripting does justify the actions, I still have to compare it to the the vast number of ACAANs available and there are others that fit my style better. However, if you do not own Recreation, it is worth jumping on the limited time bonus offer as that is worth it for the price alone. When you think about it, Fragment really is a streamlined and practical approach to his solution in Recreation - however there are trade offs to achieve that to keep in mind. Hope that helps anyone on the fence.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2020, Derotanim wrote:

4. -normal deck ?

1. Yes
2. Yes-ish. Not forced, but not a completely randomly-thought-of card (although the card is random).
3. Yes
4. Yes

I don't know how an effect could satisfy all 6 of your conditions, and if it can, show me it - must be some kind of miracle! (Even Asi Wind's highly-regarded A.A.C.A.A.N. only meets the first 3 of these) [/quote]

My version meets all these conditions, but it is quite difficult to perform, you just need some work by it works perfectly.

For Fragment, I will wait for a complete demo, too afraid of a mathematical procedure...
The effect is very solid and deceptive. The method is not self-working but the move is easy.

As already mentioned in the thread this is not a pure ACAAN plot but a "I place your card at your number".

It is easy, deceptive and practical so is it perfect for me? Not really... The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).

I know many mentalists don't share this view and of course this is irrelevant for magicians so for them this could be a perfect effect. But maybe my view could be an useful information for whom share my philosophy. In this regards, I prefer The Crusade or, for very special and limited contexts, Michael's ReCreation.

Anyway, I think this is a great addition to the magic and mentalist community.

P.S. Not mathematical or mnemonic procedures are invokved.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, ipe wrote:
The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).[/quote]
Other alternative moves are shown in the explanation video, but for me the issue remains.

If someone has a more natural looking handling for that purpose, I would love to hear that. Thank you in advance. :)
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:

4. -normal deck ?

1. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

I don't know how an effect could satisfy all 6 of your conditions, and if it can, show me it - must be some kind of miracle! (Even Asi Wind's highly-regarded A.A.C.A.A.N. only meets the first 3 of these) [/quote]

My version meets all these conditions, but it is quite difficult to perform, you just need some work by it works perfectly.

For Fragment, I will wait for a complete demo, too afraid of a mathematical procedure... [/quote]

Fair enough. Let me add that Fragment is not at all mathematical in nature.
This looks very very good! A great ACAAN presentation and Iím fooled big time by this. Just when you think you have an idea, itís blown out of the water. Michael is onto a winner here and Iím sure he will take Blackpool by storm!!
Michael,

Just wondering how long you will offer Recreation as a bonus? (just trying to plan some of my upcoming purchases)

Thanks
Robert, I donít like to disappoint so if you order at a later point just send me the order number and I will make sure you get the ReCreation effect too.

Best Wishes Michael
I've tried it and also tried to find a presentation to suit me, but I can't...

it feels very procedural (for me and my tastes) - there's a fair bit of handling/counting out loud and as its just under 5 minutes performance time - its too much for what I guess I was hoping for! but all very well taught and explained, it just doesn't suit me personally...
Very kind Michael but I shall buy my copy like everyone else. I shall wait for a few more reviews before doing so though. :rotf: [/quote]

Really? A few more reviews haha

I will purchase a copy as well to see what the final product looks like.l

This is fantastic.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:

4. -normal deck ?

1. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

For Fragment, I will wait for a complete demo, too afraid of a mathematical procedure... [/quote]

zero math procedure.
Isn't this just Devastation by Tom Daugherty on Geoff William's Miracles for Mortals volume 2?...
Fragment is excellent, I have it and I love it !
Will it fool the laymen ? Of course, it will blow their mind...
Is it a magician fooler ?, it fooled me badly when I saw the performances footage although iím not a Magician or a professional magician, just an Amateur of magic.

The effect is excellent and Michael Murray is a genius, and iím not even talking about his VIP customer service !!!

Congratulations Michael !!!! Youíre the man !!!
Along with Crusade and double back I'm saying this is the best card trick in the last 30 years. Absolutely brilliant.
Best in last 30 years?
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Isn't this just Devastation by Tom Daugherty on Geoff William's Miracles for Mortals volume 2?... [/quote]

I thought that too but it's an in the hands version, which is no small thing. Plus it's not just "in the hands" but "in the spectator's hands" (for the denouement). So it's a variation - but different enough to stand alone. Probably not as good as Devastation but that's no criticism - few card tricks are.
The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).[/quote]
Other alternative moves are shown in the explanation video, but for me the issue remains.

If someone has a more natural looking handling for that purpose, I would love to hear that. Thank you in advance. :) [/quote]

If you make the alternatives haphazardly it looks even more mixed up. Just be casual like youíre not even aware of it. Like while you do the alternative move say, so what do you think so far? Weíre not finished yet you know. Oh yea, thereís more. Ready to continue?
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, John7 wrote:

I thought that too but it's an in the hands version, which is no small thing. Plus it's not just "in the hands" but "in the spectator's hands" (for the denouement). So it's a variation - but different enough to stand alone. Probably not as good as Devastation but that's no criticism - few card tricks are. [/quote]

??? You can easily do Devastation in the hands, and you can have the denouement happen in their hands... It's the same. Except Devastation is even easier because it has zero moves.
Sure you can but that's not as taught - split the deck into 5 piles, spec picks one and spreads it, mentally choosing a card then shuffles the packet, etc. And I think I said that Devastation is probably better. My point is that this is a valid variation from the standard Devastation (as that trick is taught).
I purchased this yesterday as I was curious about one aspect. From the descriptions given my reviewers and the outline of the effect I was pretty certain of what had to happen, I just wasn't entirely certain how Michael made it happen. I'm delighted - an excellent effect, simple, straighforward and worthy of my hero Dani Daortiz. In fact one aspect bears a passing resemblance to an aspect of one of his many versions.

So - the "procedure" there isn't really one. There's none of this "cut some cards and count them" which you get in some other similar effects.

The big selling point is that you genuinely have a thought of card and number and the performer has no idea which, there's nothing dodgy about how either are arrived at and at the end the cards are in THEIR hands.

Brilliant.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2020, David Numen wrote:

The big selling point is that you genuinely have a thought of card and number and the performer has no idea which, there's nothing dodgy about how either are arrived at and at the end the cards are in THEIR hands.

[/quote]
The caveat here is that there is a correlation between the number and the card during the selection process. For me, that feels a little too cozy for a CAAN style effect.
They really can though pick any card based on any number. Is it berglas? No probably not but is it a darn good trick? Yea, I think so!
Havenít road tested it yet, but very happy with this.
Michael always releases quality though imo
[quote]On Jan 18, 2020, John C wrote:

If someone has a more natural looking handling for that purpose, I would love to hear that. Thank you in advance. :) [/quote]

If you make the alternatives haphazardly it looks even more mixed up. Just be casual like youíre not even aware of it. Like while you do the alternative move say, so what do you think so far? Weíre not finished yet you know. Oh yea, thereís more. Ready to continue? [/quote]
Hi John, thank you for the suggestion, I will try it and ponder over.

But for the moment, my favorite effect of this kind is a mix: using the method of "Devastation" (but not using 4 or more piles; the spectator just picks a quarter of the deck) with the presentation and the subtleties of "Fragment". This, for me, is the perfect solution. :)
This is a true gem, full of subtleties. I love this.
Has the full performance video been posted yet? It's Jan 20 and I really wanna see this!
For 12 pounds, this is a great buy. Love this and I learned a new easy sleight as well that I didnít know before. Again well done!
I really don't think a full performance should be posted. There is ample information available to anyone who is interested.

In any event, this is a lovely wee effect and presentation and is definitely something Im looking forward to playing around with.
Only reason I was asking was because Michael said a couple of times there would be a full perf video on the 20th. Ordering it anyway, but would like to see this as well...
Also waiting for the full performance video.
Sorry gents, I spent the full day with the intention of filming the newsletter and getting the new video uploaded and instead I have had to spend the day getting this taken down from two torrent sites. To say that I am both highly disappointed and furious is an understatement. To make matters worse I also found out that another idea of mine has been freely shared with over 27,000 people on a social media platform and that a third idea has been taught on another project without permission.

I was also due to to sign a contract on a new premises today for the sole purpose for filming more projects but in light of the current situation I decided not to proceed and contacted the current owner to decline the offer. Although I was successful in getting this removed from both sites I feel that my day has been a complete waste of time. Let's just say that today was not a good day and I will allow my stress levels to stabilise overnight before seeing what tomorrow throws at me.

In the meantime I have sent a couple of pm's out.

Best Wishes Michael
OMG - that is so not good. I can't believe that! It's only been out a few moments ago! I won't patronize you with "your work is so good its worth stealing". Cus that just doesn't cut it.

I have not long had an email from a Cafť member who wants to trade magic with me. He wanted to "trade" Phil Smiths AMAZING Mythology Codex. The balls of some people! Needless to say, I told him it was being re-released today and he can get a copy for £150 which is a bargain!

So carp that this is going on.
I've been playing with this a bit and like it more and more.

A few notes, some of which have already been mentioned:

Ė This is NOT the grail you have been looking for. It is not an ACAAN, but has enough similarities that it is considered an "ACAAN-style" effect. The presentation and subtleties that Michael gives make it feel like mind-reading. Whereas a lot of ACAANs fall more into the category of either prediction, influence, or coincidence.

Ė†For me, this is a great casual performance piece. I used to perform Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at any Number. It served me well, but was far more "move-y" than this one, and relied on a lot of card handling skills and had to be in my hands far too much. Other than the one "move", this is clean. Yes, it IS procedural, but I do think the presentation justifies it. If I wanted something faster and less procedural, I would just perform Asi's routine, which I would probably still do for a formal performance. Again, for a FASDIU effect, this is great.

Ė†I have come up with an alternative handling of the one "move" that suits me better. I think there are countless ways to make that moment happen. The method I am working with has a few additional subtleties that I think make it seem even more fair. I doubt there will be a private group for an effect of this scale (although I would join it), so I am not really sure how to share my thoughts on this. I also have some other handling adjustments for a few alternate scenarios. Perhaps I will film these and just send them to Michael.

Ė Others have mentioned it, but I would like to re-iterate to those doing their research that there is no "mathematics" involved. Neither on the spectator nor the performer's end. That was a concern of mine, and was happy to find that it wasn't the case.

All in all, a nice effect. Easy to do. Can go right into the bag-of-tools for any situation. AAA effect (Any deck, Anytime, Anywhere). Not the holy grail, but I will absolutely continue to use it.
I picked this up from Michael , you receive 3 full performances and a full explanation video.
I watched all 3 performances quite a few times and I couldnít work it out at all .
I left it until morning but had to give in.
This is quite simple , utilises a slight move nothing knuckle busting , and bar that itís straight forward, I really like this , for my acaan I use prediction impossible however you can use this as more a mentalism effect , Iím definitely going to use this itís great, very fooling and will get great reactions for sure.

Carl.
Sorry to hear that... Sucks as to how much time you have to spend to stop the crooks. Day job for me is in tech, so if you ever need any advice or ferring things out, feel free to reach out...

[quote]On Jan 20, 2020, celebrity wrote:
Sorry gents, I spent the full day with the intention of filming the newsletter and getting the new video uploaded and instead I have had to spend the day getting this taken down from two torrent sites. To say that I am both highly disappointed and furious is an understatement. To make matters worse I also found out that another idea of mine has been freely shared with over 27,000 people on a social media platform and that a third idea has been taught on another project without permission.

I was also due to to sign a contract on a new premises today for the sole purpose for filming more projects but in light of the current situation I decided not to proceed and contacted the current owner to decline the offer. Although I was successful in getting this removed from both sites I feel that my day has been a complete waste of time. Let's just say that today was not a good day and I will allow my stress levels to stabilise overnight before seeing what tomorrow throws at me.

In the meantime I have sent a couple of pm's out.

I gave on my PDFs they are out on a few magic sites. I donít have time to stop anything. Sucks but folks still buy them from me.

Sorry to hear that Michael.
I'm impressed that Michael managed to get them taken down from the sites

Hasn't Hollywood failed where Michael has succeeded

And in reference to the 'trader' that contacted Dave - I guess the same person contacted me. We didn't get as far as discussing what titles - as I just told him that trading made no sense as after we have each paid the postage and packaging to send the items, to each other, it would have been cheaper to buy the stuff new... hmm - he didn't get back in contact with me
So going further off on a tangent; I've been talking with Michael about this and one of the sites in question, I looked at (and managed to provide him with the owner of the site, and the registrar to try to see about cutting off their knees, but...) the point of this post is... in looking at that site, they have a section of "we're looking for the following products; contact us if you have one of these" so they kinda have an open call for someone to "share" with them so they can then sell it themselves. Totally scummy. They don't even buy it themselves (not that that would make it any better, but...)
I thought / guessed - that ALL the sites either:

a] were on that secret magicians torrent site that is apparently the hardest group in the world to join

or

b] they all buy them off each other... so one site x has loads of copied stuff, site y buys them off site x [as it's loads cheaper than buying anything new], then site z buys them off site y - etc

I never presumed that all these sites ever bought products

I'd also guess the other way would be to PM magicians and ask if they want to do a trade... you trade a product to get one off the chap... but the chap then puts it on his/her site.... and they are using other trades to trade with you - so not spending any money

The idea of them buying all the stuff wouldn't make a lot of sense - as then they need to sell a good 5 or 6 copies just to break even

Finally Michael wasn't talking about those sites was he... he said a torrent site. Is what he said. Those are not torrent sites - those are sites selling illegal copies. Torrents are illegal but most don't sell anything and they would be a lot harder to get your stuff off. If Michael has got his stuff off torrent sites that is very impressive. If he got it off sites selling illegal copies, it's still a result. but is much less impressive... as you have ways to contact them guys

I hope that made sense
Yeah; it does. I often look thru torrent sites and let my creator friends know if their stuff is showing up. Good news is, there seems to be less and less on the torrent sites these days.

The other thing on this site that Michael shared with me is their ask for "not watermarked" digital products.

I also verified that this site in question had their PayPal deactivated, so I added something to a cart, and when I went to checkout (with no intention to really buy - this was only to verify about their PayPal) it said "Sorry, we have no way to accept payment from your location right now, so contact us to make alternate payment arrangements" . So anything to hinder them...
Yeah but that only works - if rather than each creator does it [when they see their work up] and instead everyone joins and go for all of them - all the time...

But if Hollywood and the music industry can't do it - with their billions - it seems unlikely that a few magic producers will do anything much
I agree it is a virus that we will never eradicate, but if individual vendors make it hard enough for their own products, at least it is a dent in it that helps these people with way shallower pocketbooks than hollywood.

And we can help by not patronizing them.
Just managed to watch the package.
Like this and will use along with ĎThe Crusadeí
Well worth the £12
Well done again Michael.
I am happy to say that since I take intellectual property theft serious I was able (with the assistance of other performers who had been affected) to shut one of the largest companies dealing in pirated items down. When they re-opened with a different domain I enlisted help once again to remove this companies ability to take payments via PayPal which was a huge win. Due to how clever Paypal is (and their blacklisting technology) they have been unable to re-gain access to Paypal for the past eight months and will no doubt be unable to use Paypal for their personal everyday transactions tool. As soon as my agenda is clear I will be picking back up on my endeavours to tackle these stores and will continue to share this knowledge with those that have been affected by piracy (there are more creators than stores of this nature so we certainly have the numbers on our side). I have also spent the past few days working out an effective system to weed out those responsible for pirating this material too.

Now, back on topic I am very pleased with the very positive feedback received on this one. Whilst there is no one effect that will suit everyone, the vast majority seem to be having great fun with this.

Best Wishes to All!

Michael
By popular request I have also set up a Facebook group for this item. All existing owners can join by searching Facebook for 'Fragment Owners Group' and adding their MindFX order number into the relevant place.

Best Wishes Michael
I absolutely love this and have performed it to stunned reactions already, thanks Michael. I canít find the fb group though......is it me ?
I cannot find it too
Here is the direct link to join the group -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107739740668864/?ref=share

Naturally you will need to enter your MindFX order number for proof of purchase ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Just ordered. Looking forward to joining the group also.

The full performance is on Michaels site now and looks very strong.
Got it and will test it, then review it.
Although I am not a big fan of this plot, I must say that there are a lot of things that I like about this effect.
First of all, the selection procedure is quite fair and there don't seem to be any restrictions anywhere throughout the routine. Secondly, the thing you need to do in a moment of relaxation is very well taught in the video and is actually a move that I believe a lot of people should add to their arsenal.
Last but not least, there are subtleties in this routine that polish it just enough to fly under the radar when performing for real people.
Another brilliant idea from the always so clever Mr Murray.
Many thanks for the kind words gents!

Best Wishes Michael
So full performance of this has been removed now ?
Just checked and it is still showing on the product page at my end. It appears below the product description.

Best Wishes Michael
You are correct. I was wrong. Thanks Michael
No worries sir ;)

Best Wishes Michael
[quote]On Jan 22, 2020, celebrity wrote:
By popular request I have also set up a Facebook group for this item. All existing owners can join by searching Facebook for 'Fragment Owners Group' and adding their MindFX order number into the relevant place.

According to your website, I have no order history?? Ha I have bought manos/deadlock/fragment at least.... Shoot me a PM
Pm sent ;)
Forgot to post his earlier - I reviewed 'Fragment' on the latest episode of The Mystery Arts Podcast. Fragment starts at about 34:26.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mystery-arts-podcast/id1475397501?mt=2&app=itunes

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/18-the-review-o-rama
This effect is way too complicated for my tastes. I fell asleep watching the tutorial due to the time it took for Michael to explained the many nuances involved.
[quote]On Jan 30, 2020, Payner44 wrote:
This effect is way too complicated for my tastes. I fell asleep watching the tutorial due to the time it took for Michael to explained the many nuances involved. [/quote]

What an odd comment. The effect is not even remotely complicated. The tutorial is 24 minutes, which is not long at all, and the basic effect is explained pretty clearly quite early on. The "nuances" are just the things that make it better and help you deal with any possible problems. I wish all tricks were taught as thoroughly.
I get his point.
MindFx should shorten the instructions to 30 seconds, add music, omit those annoying nuances, and include coffee.

Maybe shorten the name as well. Fragment takes half the day to enunciate.
How similar is this to Route 101 Gaz 🙂
I get his point, all that nuance in there, it's a lot to take in.

If nuance, subtlety, and patience aren't your thing...might I suggest that one could give up mentalism and take up box magic?
Due to several requests, Fragment is now available in DVD format too ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Just got the download from penguin magic on this. very very nice and very nice thinking but I will add if you do get the download you have to go to video four for the tutorial.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Just want to give this a massive thumbs up after purchasing this yesterday and watching the download tutorial today .
Itís a brilliant effect with a borrowed shuffled deck thatís has some wonderful layers and subtleties .
I 100% will use this , it really is a fooler and itís genius thinking from Michael as ever .
This couldnít be more up my street , highly recommended and the explanations are easy and clear .
Best wishes to all Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Jan 31, 2020, 252life wrote:
I get his point.
MindFx should shorten the instructions to 30 seconds, add music, omit those annoying nuances, and include coffee.

Maybe shorten the name as well. Fragment takes half the day to enunciate. [/quote]

You're right; it should come with coffee since I literally spewed mine all over the screen while simultaneously knocking over my coffee cup as I attempted to clean said screen after reading your comment. :rotf:

On another note, I watched the performance for this and like very much. I may have to pick it up.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Sudo Nimh wrote:
[quote]On Jan 31, 2020, 252life wrote:
I get his point.

Maybe shorten the name as well. Fragment takes half the day to enunciate. [/quote]

You're right; it should come with coffee since I literally spewed mine all over the screen while simultaneously knocking over my coffee cup as I attempted to clean said screen after reading your comment. :rotf:

On another note, I watched the performance for this and like very much. I may have to pick it up. [/quote]

Lmao well then my job is done :)
With regards to this effect:

Dastardly simple and very sneaky - I absolutely love it!

How another commented earlier that this was too complex, leaves me feeling very perplexed. Honestly, you couldn't ask for a more straight-forward and elegantly simple solution. This is precisely the type of sheer pluckiness and boldness that I adore and is something you can put into use pretty much immediately. Loved all the little subtle nuances here , and particularly, the bit with the two cards at the end. Just wonderful. This is a perfect FASDIU effect.

Thanks Michael! ;)
Love the presentation of the effect of the principals involved.
Don't have it,but see the beauty...
Gotta buy it now, cause,I'm gonna use it.
I havenít read the whole 8 pages but two times I read that people are wondering if this has been thought before. More than 20 years ago David Roth showed me nearly the same routine on a convention in Switzerland. It was not his idea, but I canít remember whom he credited it to. So this has definitely been thought on long before. I canít understand why this qualifies as an ACAAN effect. To me its more a ĄThe card chosen through your number is still laying at your choosen numberď. Bit different in my opinion.
The point is the card can be thought of if you wish before the number and itís then completely shuffled so you have no idea what number or card it is but you are able to put the thought of card back in the thought of position . Brilliant Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Apr 7, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The point is the card can be thought of if you wish before the number and itís then completely shuffled so you have no idea what number or card it is but you are able to put the thought of card back in the thought of position . Brilliant Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
This doesnít change much...
Iíve bought Fragment and iam undecided yet.
Good thinking went into the effect and Michael Murray is a beast when it comes to that!

The core method is what Iíve expected it to be. There is a obvious limitation with this.
Iíve asked myself if a simple thought of your participant could put the illusion at danger. Even with the nuances explained.
You ask your spectator to name a number and remember the card at that exact position.
After byplay, a simple but crucial move and convincers you later reveal the card at that exact position.

The nuances to sell the effect are reasoned and necessary.
The whole thing is very procedural like already mentioned. You have to like and sell that.

Fragment seems very well suited for impromtu situations and a borrowed deck on the fly.

It will not replace the version(s) I already use.
There are much stronger and direct CAAN and ACAAN around.
The procedural handling of Fragment makes it less transparent (in terms of layers of deception) but potentially less entertaining in my opinion.

If you like it - go for it!
If you still have a good and working version there is no need to buy this.
If you want to educate yourself and looking for a impromptu version I would recommend the Crusade.
I wouldnít mind bore my spectators with the Crusade followed by Fragment (or vice versa)! Only if you want to put them to sleep.
I got bored and picked this up. Demo fooled me. At first I thought it was too procedural but Iíve done it five times now and was honestly shocked by how great the reactions have been. Even the wife said it was one of the best tricks sheís ever seen. So glad I gave it a shot. Will definitely be using it.
I don't own this, but I do something very similar. I can't say it is the same method, but I assume so. I love the plot and I think this is a great "borrowed deck" routine. I do several variations of ACAAN, most of them not technically ACAANs as this isn't either, but who cares? Audiences just want to be entertained. I have never had an audience member, even with magicians in the room say: "Wait, that technically wasn't an ACAAN." and even some where ACAAN is combined with other effects. I do two sleights in my routine, and from what I have read here, there is just one sleight in Fragment. The second sleight I do isn't absolutely required, but I think it sells the effect very well. What I love about this routine is that in my routine it is 98% theater of the mind that makes people think that what is happening isn't happening, and I suspect that in Fragment, it is 99% theater. Very nice.
KJ
I think this is simply brilliant! I can see why people are surprised this (exactly)hasn't been done before but not in a negative way. Yes, it is procedural, but I feel it gives you time to sell the effect. I even devilishly laughed myself while practicing because I can imagine how it plays in the spectator's head...impossible! I've performed a few times and it's gotten great awe reactions! I always liked the idea of The Crusade but not so much the way it plays out. I feel Michael kept the same "impossible guidelines" of it but made the effect way better. Well done Michael
I hugely appreciate the very kind words and hope that you all have great fun with this!

Best Wishes Michael
I really enjoy performing Fragment, and I realize that one of its strengths is that it can be done totally impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards - which is great. But the reality is, most of the time I perform this, I'm in a situation where no one has a deck of cards - just me...and in those circumstance, I actually prefer to use a marked deck. Why? Because during the performance, you're claiming to have read their mind and know their card - so when they finally deal down to the card but just before they turn it over I say "And your card was the 4 of hearts, right?" When they confirm it, I give them a slight smile like "Great, I got it!" and then they turn over the 4 or hearts (or whatever card they selected). Hope that makes sense, and hope I'm not giving anything away.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I really enjoy performing Fragment, and I realize that one of its strengths is that it can be done totally impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards - which is great. But the reality is, most of the time I perform this, I'm in a situation where no one has a deck of cards - just me...and in those circumstance, I actually prefer to use a marked deck. Why? Because during the performance, you're claiming to have read their mind and know their card - so when they finally deal down to the card but just before they turn it over I say "And your card was the 4 of hearts, right?" When they confirm it, I give them a slight smile like "Great, I got it!" and then they turn over the 4 or hearts (or whatever card they selected). Hope that makes sense, and hope I'm not giving anything away. [/qu
Nice!...
Mr Mindbender, that's a NICE touch! I'll be trying that out, thanks.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I really enjoy performing Fragment, and I realize that one of its strengths is that it can be done totally impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards - which is great. But the reality is, most of the time I perform this, I'm in a situation where no one has a deck of cards - just me...and in those circumstance, I actually prefer to use a marked deck. Why? Because during the performance, you're claiming to have read their mind and know their card - so when they finally deal down to the card but just before they turn it over I say "And your card was the 4 of hearts, right?" When they confirm it, I give them a slight smile like "Great, I got it!" and then they turn over the 4 or hearts (or whatever card they selected). Hope that makes sense, and hope I'm not giving anything away. [/quote]

Completely logical. Nice!
I can obviously see how a marked deck would work with this but to me itís whole strength is that it can be performed with any borrowed shuffled deck that doesnít have to even be complete . You make much more use of a marked deck with effects than something that just doesnít require it imo Gaz 🙂
Completely agree, but if you're using your own marked deck anyway, might as well take advantage of it to put the cherry on top.

[quote]On Apr 10, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I can obviously see how a marked deck would work with this but to me itís whole strength is that it can be performed with any borrowed shuffled deck that doesnít have to even be complete . You make much more use of a marked deck with effects than something that just doesnít require it imo Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
Another positive is that this can be performed over FaceTime or Skype too.

This is something I took advantage of in the early days of development ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Well with being able to perform this trick through facetime I think I'll have to pick it up. I've been wanting some more things that I could perform with the current situation we're in with the virus. I hope everyone is staying safe!
How sleight-heavy is this routine? Is it suitable for beginner/intermediate/advanced magicians?
Absolutely is doable & manageable , recommended and not sleight heavy at all.
[quote]On Apr 21, 2020, Rizzo wrote:
Absolutely is doable & manageable , recommended and not sleight heavy at all. [/quote]

But may take a little bit of practice if you've not done this particular "move" before. It's not something that is difficult to master. Just takes some practice to get a feel for it.
I agree but Michael offers a couple of other handlings which are super super simple and one I actually prefer to the main handling Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Apr 21, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I agree but Michael offers a couple of other handlings which are super super simple and one I actually prefer to the main handling Gaz 🙂 [/quote]
Agree completely
Hi, I really want to purchase the download but everywhere I look it's a DVD. I live in Spain, and in the current situation it will take 2-3 weeks to get here, plus shipping will cost almost the same as the DVD. Is there anywhere I can purchase the download from? Thanks!
Maybe look on [url=https://www.mindfx.co.uk/products/fragment-by-michael-murray-online-video-instruction?_pos=1&_sid=e3517e453&_ss=r] Michael's site?[/url]
Gary1976,
How about: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13361

Hope that helps?

rochaz
See my review here, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/fE8_yUiYUqU
Great reviews