(Close Window)
Topic: Just a weird thing with a ring and a string...
My presentation of Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vsKN9AdSc/

Now that I feel more comfortable with the core mechanics, I'd like to start modifying the routine to really make it feel original. Before that, I wanted to get y'alls thoughts and opinions; any helpful feedback is appreciated!

Hope y'all enjoy!
Well I can say Iíve been doing that ring and string thing almost identical for about 20 years. Ding ding ding.
I like it!

Doug
Very good, I enjoyed that. You've done that a few times :bunny2:
[quote]On Dec 7, 2019, John C wrote:
Well I can say Iíve been doing that ring and string thing almost identical for about 20 years. Ding ding ding. [/quote]

Cool! Any tips for improving it with that 20 years experience? :-)
Glad you guys enjoyed it! Thank you sincerely for taking the time to watch!
I think that 3 or 4 moves (as you have) is ideal, much more than that runs the risk of being 'magic for magicians'. In terms if feedback, its hard when you're performing to a camera in a narrow field of focus - you did a fine job, but it lacks the interaction of people etc.

There are a couple of options in terms of moves, e.g. Mark Leveridge has some great work as has others such as Matthew Wright. For me, I think originality in such routines comes from the presentation rather than the mechanics or sequencing, but as mentioned, its hard to make suggestions based on the video.

Matthew Wright (as one example) is very good at putting in running gags or devising presentational themes, which for me really lifts the magic. The Jerx blog (which is aimed at casual rather than paid performances) has some great posts that help promote thinking about how the magic is presented (e.g. the 'peek backstage')...

Good luck,
Charlie
[quote]On Dec 8, 2019, puggo wrote:
I think that 3 or 4 moves (as you have) is ideal, much more than that runs the risk of being 'magic for magicians'. In terms if feedback, its hard when you're performing to a camera in a narrow field of focus - you did a fine job, but it lacks the interaction of people etc.

There are a couple of options in terms of moves, e.g. Mark Leveridge has some great work as has others such as Matthew Wright. For me, I think originality in such routines comes from the presentation rather than the mechanics or sequencing, but as mentioned, its hard to make suggestions based on the video.

Matthew Wright (as one example) is very good at putting in running gags or devising presentational themes, which for me really lifts the magic. The Jerx blog (which is aimed at casual rather than paid performances) has some great posts that help promote thinking about how the magic is presented (e.g. the 'peek backstage')...

Good luck,
Charlie [/quote]

Thanks for the awesome feedback Charlie! I appreciate you taking the time to check out the video as well.

At this moment, all of my videos (as you noticed here) unfortunately lack audience participation, but I'm making moves to change that here soon though. I'll check out the Jerx for presentation tips as well, I think that would be a beneficial resource!

Thanks

MV
Message: Posted by: Charlieherbertmagic (Jan 4, 2020 02:38PM)
Nice ending!
Nice work! Loved the ending!