(Close Window)
Topic: The Wishing Mirror by Gemini Artifacts
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Dec 10, 2019 03:58AM)
Saw this in the Gemini webpage and was curious if any one has this and could post a review. The tarot deck in particular caught my eye, too bad it is only two cards in the deck, I wouldn't mind a complete deck if one exists. Curious how realistic the writing in the mirror looks, and how well this effect plays with specs overall.
Message: Posted by: topherhester (Dec 10, 2019 02:23PM)
I think the writing is your own writing. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong. I was hesitant on this due to lack of some details on the handling. The overall force is pretty straight forward and well known. The mirror handling was questionable.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (Dec 10, 2019 02:53PM)
[quote]On Dec 10, 2019, Intrepid wrote:
Saw this in the Gemini webpage and was curious if any one has this and could post a review. The tarot deck in particular caught my eye, too bad it is only two cards in the deck, I wouldn't mind a complete deck if one exists. Curious how realistic the writing in the mirror looks, and how well this effect plays with specs overall. [/quote]

The blank cards was why I chose not to purchase it. Screams 'card trick' to me when anticipated faces disappear leaving only 1. I may have purchased if a full deck or major arcana. I'd also prefer a generic back. But for some, this would not matter.

Top was right about the force. Just looking at the description tells me it was probably the same I used in the 80's.

However, it is still a pretty good effect, most likely as the review I read by a purchaser said he was going to keep his.

I would like to see more reviews from actual purchasers to make an informed decision.
Message: Posted by: PROF BC (Dec 11, 2019 08:03AM)
We are rather missing the point of bizarre magic when we say, 'this looks like an old trick with some new stuff attached'. That is, in essence, where bizarre began, and, not to put too fine a point on it, it remains the beating heart of our craft.

The Wishing Mirror is an excellent case in point. Here is a very fine piece of kit. The amulet/disc/mirror is heavy and attractive--just the sort of frock to distract and delight an audience while the magic happens. The trick itself may be familiar to magicians--only last year I published an article on what might be the first card trick ever published (over 400 years old), and it was in every way similar to this in its general approach--but here is a zodiac theme, my fellow wizards, a mentalism twist, and a rather astonishing final revelation that elevates a really good trick (which I myself enjoyed performing at a popular theme-park magic counter over several summers in the seventies!) to a bizarre miracle.

And, please, let's not forget that this is Vic. Repeat with me, Vic Nadata. For heaven's sake! The routines are new, solid, fun (even amazing), and entirely performance-ready--*particularly* if you already know the classic handlings of the effect.

Gentlemen, you can buy tarot cards from many places, but these tarot are performance-specific and integral to the effect. It is really unfair to keep tossing up in the faces of creators that you wish the offering were something else: 'You are including twelve cards, would it were seventy-two!' Dear me. These are newly created, costly to produce, and time consuming to age and make ready for your performance. Vic has made some beauties here.

I have my Wishing Mirror, first in line, and I can firmly attest that it is most assuredly worth your holiday dollars. This is an exquisite offering, subtle and entirely portable, with a sure-fire, time-tested and performance-proven method to assure you solid mysteries time and time again. Remember, too, that, with this method (and its many mystifying variations), the effect is immediately repeatable with different results!

I can heartily recommend The Wishing Mirror to anyone doing mind reading, astrology or alchemy themed magic, walk around, close-up, or, indeed, even as a wonderful climax to your Spectre or Codex V performance. The prop is a most useful little utility item even without doing the effect. Once again, Heartily Recommended.

BC
Message: Posted by: topherhester (Dec 11, 2019 09:04AM)
Prof, I am a firm believer that nothing is "new". I try to stick to the belief that the BEST methods and hidden gems are in books of the past. I don't have an issue with existing methods. I'm actually more hesitant when creators claim a "brand new method". I like the concept of Wishing Mirror. My only reservation has been the mirror handling. That and the price. It's a love hate relationship that bizarre effects are often substantially more expensive than mainstream magic which keeps the laymen and the curious at bay but makes me have to be very selective with my yearly purchases. Thanks for your review though, as it makes me feel better about it, especially the Codex V potentials as I use my Codex religiously.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (Dec 11, 2019 09:41AM)
Hi Professor BC:

I also appreciate the review. I also agree with Top Hester, nothing is new, not really.

However, I feel you misunderstand the intent or the tone of my post, as often occurs in written form versus spoken form. I was not criticizing the effect, quality, method, or the name Vic Nada, Repeat with me, Vic Nada, nor was I trying to throw anything in the face of a creator, as I admire any and all of those who come up with such ideas and wish I were among them. I was just sharing what I, as a buyer, would have liked. Not asking for 78 cards at all but asking for a face printed on the already back printed blank cards. I do not think it is unfair to express these opinions at all, but think they could be helpful in the planning and implemented possible additional coming additions to this effect and would hope the creators may be mature enough to consider them without offense, because none is intended, nor was my intent to dampen sales of this effect.

Guess my customer opinion mattering comes from my profession. Do you want auntie Sally smiling or uncle Fred's hair combed to the left or right. The review I read from a purchaser said he was 80% satisfied. Perhaps by listening to his review the next customers could be 100%. Just my opinion. I also assume there are many who will be 100% satisfied with it as it is. I doubt any effect would get 100% satisfaction from everyone.

Hopefully, this forum will continue to be one of sharing constructive opinions and would welcome those from those who have purchased the effects, as I mentioned earlier.
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Dec 11, 2019 11:03AM)
Prof BC,
thanks for the insightful review, much appreciated!
Message: Posted by: Bogbadger (Dec 11, 2019 04:36PM)
Sadly out of my reach at the moment but this looks beautiful Vic as always!

If it comes from Gemini it will be brilliantly designed, be both functional and a work of art, be backed up by support and advice from one of the best, have taken days of blood sweat and tears to design and create, be worth every single penny.
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 11, 2019 07:36PM)
This seems to be Richard Micucci's "Zodiac Coin" ( available from Meir Yedid for 35.00 postpaid ) It actually looks like Vic took Richard's actual Zodiac Coins and modified the look very slightly. It's the exact same design on the front with an added filigree on the back. I hope Mr. Micucci is credited and his permission was given for this.
Message: Posted by: the Sponge (Dec 11, 2019 10:13PM)
[quote]On Dec 11, 2019, reese wrote:
This seems to be Richard Micucci's "Zodiac Coin" ... I hope Mr. Micucci is credited and his permission was given for this.


[/quote]
1. Do you think Micucci is sitting at home making zodiac mirrors? Do you think Micucci created this effect? method? Or do you think he found a cool pocket mirror and thought "I can add a public domain method and sell some"?

Vic is a stand up guy. Period. Period.

2. I didn't read any review of this effect from Prof. BC, but I agree with you about customers asking about effects (especially bizarre ones).

s
Message: Posted by: PROF BC (Dec 12, 2019 10:14AM)
I am not in a business relationship with Vic Nadata for this effect. In fact, I have an effect of my own on the market just now (from Lebanon), and Vic's offering is competing for your magic dollars against my own Ring effect. If I praise his work, it is done with sincerity and in direct competition with my own effect.

The 'Prof BC' effects on offer at Gemini I gave to Vic some years ago. I do not see a penny of those sales, nor have I done for some years. The reasons for this generosity are nobody's business but our own.

What I wrote is my honest opinion of the effect, and I am a customer as surely as everybody else who ponied up for this effect. I am one of those 'poor customers' even though I also consulted with Vic on its handling during its development as well as assisted him with the written advert.

In my response (it was not a review) I honestly pointed to the background history of the effect and gave clear revelation to the nature of the method and its not being new but rather a new take on an old, even ancient, effect that many of us already know. This was an effort to steer other buyers towards a reasoned consideration whether to buy or not.

Vic is a friend of mine, that is no secret, but I am neither his toady nor his cheering section, and I must admit to real irritation at the imputation. I do not automatically post glowing reviews of everything Vic (or anyone) puts out. If I say I own and like a thing, it is because I have purchased and genuinely approved the purchase. Full stop. To suggest that I would prostitute myself in exchange for some trinket is as false as it is unworthy to imply; surely only a scoundrel would intend such a suggestion.

BC
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 12, 2019 11:34AM)
[quote]On Dec 12, 2019, Bogbadger wrote:
[quote]On Dec 12, 2019, reese wrote:
This seems to be Richard Micucci's "Zodiac Coin" ( available from Meir Yedid for 35.00 postpaid ) It actually looks like Vic took Richard's actual Zodiac Coins and modified the look very slightly. It's the exact same design on the front with an added filigree on the back. I hope Mr. Micucci is credited and his permission was given for this. [/quote]

I think you might find that this design including the filigree was first used slightly earlier than copyright laws were first thought up! [/quote]

You're right. That must be it. Years ago when I investigated the manufacture of medallions for an effect, it was for a custom image. ( depending on quantity, the cost was between $2.00 - $5.00 per medallion) But there must of been stock images available too. The bizarre magician looked at the stock image and thought "clock trick with tarot cards."
The close-up magician looked at the stock image and thought "clock trick with playing cards". The bizarre magician thinks "I'll charge $175.00 for it!" The close-up magician thinks "I'll sell it for $35.00!"

My bad. That"s what probably happened.
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Dec 12, 2019 01:56PM)
[quote]On Dec 12, 2019, reese wrote:
The bizarre magician thinks "I'll charge $175.00 for it!" The close-up magician thinks "I'll sell it for $35.00!"
[/quote]
Reese,
these are all good points that you bring us. As consumers every purchase is a decision and its important that we understand the alternative options that are available to us so that we can make the best decision depending on our needs. And your input here has been most helpful in helping us to take other factors and options into consideration.
Like many here, I have an interest in both straight magic as well as bizarre magick. And the intended use makes a big difference regarding my expectation and what I'm willing to pay for an effect and the related props. The information contributed by everyone in this thread has been very helpful and informative to myself and hopefully others.
For myself, I tend to set a very high bar for bizarre magick. While the methods all have their roots in conventional magic and mentalism, the key to attracting my interest is how well the bizarre piece elevates that method beyond a trick and a puzzle, and into one that captivates the imagination while also flirting on the edge of believability. The Micucci version certainly would of been the better fit for me if my intent was to use it in conjunction with my more conventional magic. Thank you for providing that option. In this particular case, however, the interest is strictly as a bizarre magick piece. And because my requirements and expectations are higher for bizarre pieces, the additional details and story lines that Vic adds to all of his products have enormous value themselves, and is why I have been a repeat buyer of Vic's. So in short, I look at the price comparison as an insult to the quality and detail Vic adds to an effect that takes it to a much higher lever. But I do appreciate this exchange of information and views as it helps us all to consider other ideas and opinions. Thank you and everyone who here for all your inputs.
Message: Posted by: Bogbadger (Dec 12, 2019 02:44PM)
Reece,

I was thinking more along the lines of Elizabethan or Georgian - though I believe somewhat similar versions also appear in Babylonian and Summerian astrological paraphernalia. If they are not on open display at the British museum they can probably be found in the catalogue of items in storage.

I have a wonderful clock trick that I purchased from Marty Martini. It probably cost under $15 including delivery to the UK. It works like a dream and has a kicker ending that leaves jaws dropped. It takes about 8 minutes to perform to one person. that's about $1.88 per minute. Marty will always go the extra mile, will offer free advice and often includes some lovely little freebies with your order. That's why I love buying from Marty.

I also have "The Bog" which I purchased from Vic. It cost $175. It works like a dream and has a kicker ending that leaves jaws dropped. I performed it around a camp fire in the summer for 10 people and I kept it short and only took about 90 minutes. That's about $1.94 per minute or 19.4 cents per person.
Vic will always go the extra mile will offer free advice and often puts freebies on his website (His Alice Dopps routine is lovely) That's why I love buying from Vic.
Message: Posted by: David Eichler (Dec 12, 2019 08:36PM)
When I think of Vic or Prof BC, I think of folks who are generous (in ways many of us will never know), looking out for the craft, contributing to the evolution of the craft, very fair in their pricing (considering the thought, time, and quality that goes into the props and routining) and individuals who operate out of the highest integrity. I have no financial ties to either of them and have bought effects over the years from both of them.

If we wish to continue having the likes of effects released by any of the creators who regularly grace the Café, we need to be mindful that comments questioning the integrity, honesty or motivation of these individuals will drive them underground and out of the reach of most. Any creator is not doing this to become rich. They are sharing their visions, their dreams, their creations with us. That is a true gift. One that has deeply enriched the next evolution of this genre of the art.

Please be thoughtful in your postings so we do not end up chasing away those who are disproportionately sharing their works with us. Honest reviews are always welcome. Believe in the positive of one another, until we are given proof that someone is not operating out of their integrity.

In the spirit of the holiday season at hand,

David
Message: Posted by: Wizard of Oz (Dec 12, 2019 09:33PM)
David, I"m always glad you are one of the mods here on the Café, as your input is consistently insightful, logical, and fair. Thank you for that.

Considering some of the blood spilled here in Spooky with a few shunned peddlers who literally behaved in a fraudulent manner, trusted creators like Prof BC and Vic, will always be held in high esteem by me. They are artists in what they create physically and mentally, and their works should be appreciated as such. I know I may be making a considerable investment when I purchase one of their props and routines, because I know considerable care is put into these limited edition releases...they are not commercial props. They are quite literally, unique pieces in and of themselves, and I know - most importantly - that I will never have buyer's remorse.
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 12, 2019 09:37PM)
[quote]On Dec 12, 2019, Bogbadger wrote:
Reece,

I was thinking more along the lines of Elizabethan or Georgian - though I believe somewhat similar versions also appear in Babylonian and Summerian astrological paraphernalia. If they are not on open display at the British museum they can probably be found in the catalogue of items in storage.

I have a wonderful clock trick that I purchased from Marty Martini. It probably cost under $15 including delivery to the UK. It works like a dream and has a kicker ending that leaves jaws dropped. It takes about 8 minutes to perform to one person. that's about $1.88 per minute. Marty will always go the extra mile, will offer free advice and often includes some lovely little freebies with your order. That's why I love buying from Marty.

I also have "The Bog" which I purchased from Vic. It cost $175. It works like a dream and has a kicker ending that leaves jaws dropped. I performed it around a camp fire in the summer for 10 people and I kept it short and only took about 90 minutes. That's about $1.94 per minute or 19.4 cents per person.
Vic will always go the extra mile will offer free advice and often puts freebies on his website (His Alice Dopps routine is lovely) That's why I love buying from Vic. [/quote] I also perform Vic's "the Bog" It is a killer effect and worth every penny. But Cheezus man ! You spent 90 minutes
to perform it! Uh.... O.K. Fun times.....I've purchased many items from him and have been very pleased. I am not in anyway disputing that Vic is a stand-up guy. I trust him. Rare in the magic world. I just went "huh? this is exactly like something else I already own" when I saw the Wishing Mirror. ( I do think of how much bang for the buck I will get for my $ when buying an effect. We've all been disappointed too much, haven't we?) Happy Horror Days to one and all! I hope Satan crawls down all of y'alls chimneys or through your bedroom window. Rest in pieces!
Message: Posted by: Bogbadger (Dec 13, 2019 01:42AM)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2019, David Eichler wrote:
When I think of Vic or Prof BC, I think of folks who are generous (in ways many of us will never know), looking out for the craft, contributing to the evolution of the craft, very fair in their pricing (considering the thought, time, and quality that goes into the props and routining) and individuals who operate out of the highest integrity. I have no financial ties to either of them and have bought effects over the years from both of them.

If we wish to continue having the likes of effects released by any of the creators who regularly grace the Café, we need to be mindful that comments questioning the integrity, honesty or motivation of these individuals will drive them underground and out of the reach of most. Any creator is not doing this to become rich. They are sharing their visions, their dreams, their creations with us. That is a true gift. One that has deeply enriched the next evolution of this genre of the art.

Please be thoughtful in your postings so we do not end up chasing away those who are disproportionately sharing their works with us. Honest reviews are always welcome. Believe in the positive of one another, until we are given proof that someone is not operating out of their integrity.

In the spirit of the holiday season at hand,

David [/quote]

Hear, hear. Perfectly said David
Message: Posted by: Bogbadger (Dec 13, 2019 01:48AM)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2019, Wizard of Oz wrote:
David, I"m always glad you are one of the mods here on the Café, as your input is consistently insightful, logical, and fair. Thank you for that.

Considering some of the blood spilled here in Spooky with a few shunned peddlers who literally behaved in a fraudulent manner, trusted creators like Prof BC and Vic, will always be held in high esteem by me. They are artists in what they create physically and mentally, and their works should be appreciated as such. I know I may be making a considerable investment when I purchase one of their props and routines, because I know considerable care is put into these limited edition releases...they are not commercial props. They are quite literally, unique pieces in and of themselves, and I know - most importantly - that I will never have buyer's remorse. [/quote]

Wizdom!
Message: Posted by: Bogbadger (Dec 13, 2019 02:24AM)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2019, reese wrote:
I also perform Vic's "the Bog" It is a killer effect and worth every penny. But Cheezus man ! You spent 90 minutes
to perform it! Uh.... O.K. Fun times...[/quote]

That included the intermission , the flaming marshmallow incident and time to clean up all the blood at the end!
Message: Posted by: Mad0hatter (Dec 13, 2019 05:52PM)
I'm the one who said I was 80% happy with this effect on Facebook. First I want to say that given what I know now versus what I did before I'd buy this again.

Looking at the webpage for the zodiac coin I can see the similarity. Beyond the similarities the coin looks like a shiny new coin, the mirror looks like an old mirror. It also includes 27 aged cards. Aging props takes time and time cost money. If you recall the first book of the library Alchemy Moon put out that you had to age yourself was for very reasonable price. While it was a simple self working card trick that a magician might sell for $35 the price Chris suggested that it would be were he to sell it pre-age would firmly place it in the same price range as the mirror. Also there is not an effect with the coin, no interesting character to catch attention, no story designed to build in impact as the hits accumulate. The coin is 100% "hey look what I can do ain't I so clever". These two items should not be compared apples to apples and judged on the price. That said Micucci and his coin are fully credited among others, and one of the main characters is named Richard. I might just get the coin cause I think the mirror would be nice prop for readings but a cheap non-fragile alternative would also be great.

For me the single card amid the blanks is not only the strongest part but the only part where my participant expressed being spooked, plus it's got that great line from the script going for it. The word appearing was a complete miss and I think something something like Tagged from ellusionist or the sugar cube trick would be so much stronger even if I was the sort who could make the mirror word hit.

I'm still not a huge fan of how the story/routine is presented in manual, but that has more to do with me than anything. Personally I think Crandon killed Anna to prove her psychic abilities and I intend to prove it with Crandon's own tools.
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 13, 2019 10:15PM)
Hey man, thanks for your honest thoughts & the time you took to write them out. Your post is very informative and useful. (I'm not on Facebook anymore) My intention was not to demean anyone but I also believe that there is no such thing as a Sacred Cow.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 14, 2019 02:47PM)
I, for one, looked at the mirror and decided that it would make a lovely addition to my séance show. I've been slowing replacing the ESP effects in the first half with more and more bizarre effects.

I'm not particularly crazy about the clock trick, but I realized that it's possible to put my Hand of Cleopatra on top of the mirror.

Interestingly enough, I also thought about combining this with Collectors' Workshop's "Zodiac Sensation."
Message: Posted by: Mad0hatter (Dec 14, 2019 06:51PM)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2019, reese wrote:
Hey man, thanks for your honest thoughts & the time you took to write them out. Your post is very informative and useful. (I'm not on Facebook anymore) My intention was not to demean anyone but I also believe that there is no such thing as a Sacred Cow. [/quote] You spent quite a few characters arguing that the mirror is a rip off both of another effect and in terms of pricing, that reads in the inflection-less realm of forums as trying to demean it.



[quote]On Dec 14, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I, for one, looked at the mirror and decided that it would make a lovely addition to my séance show. I've been slowing replacing the ESP effects in the first half with more and more bizarre effects.

I'm not particularly crazy about the clock trick, but I realized that it's possible to put my Hand of Cleopatra on top of the mirror.

Interestingly enough, I also thought about combining this with Collectors' Workshop's "Zodiac Sensation." [/quote]When people say clock trick I think of that thing where they spell their number and a couple follow ups to end up at a force number, which this is not so it causes me a mental misstep when I read it.
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 14, 2019 08:06PM)
Yes. That was my exact first impression. That the effect might have been ripped off. I asked the question here "was it ?" I got the answer "no". I accept that. Is that O.K. with you? Do you allow me to ask the question in the first place?
Message: Posted by: Mad0hatter (Dec 14, 2019 08:50PM)
[quote]On Dec 14, 2019, reese wrote:
Yes. That was my exact first impression. That the effect might have been ripped off. I asked the question here "was it ?" I got the answer "no". I accept that. Is that O.K. with you? Do you allow me to ask the question in the first place? [/quote]You went a little further than asking a question. You flat insinuated that even if it were a dressed up version of the other that there would be no justification for a price tag five times higher. To which I'm arguing there definitely is. You also insinuated that would lie or misrepresent a product and were kind of a dick when called out on it. I'm not the most active on here but in my mind you were the most vocal anti-outlaw poster on here and now that he's gone it seems like you're looking for the next dragon to slay and attacking people that don't deserve it.
Message: Posted by: horus1 (Dec 14, 2019 10:36PM)
I bought this. I like the mirror, but really love the beautiful cards and for me, make it well worth the price. I hope Vic does more with these cards and releases a full deck. (count me in for one!)
The basic routines and back story are good, and definitely get the creative gears going as to how one can make this their own. I'm happy and recommend it.
Message: Posted by: Vic Nadata (Dec 16, 2019 10:32AM)
This thread was a reminder to me of why I never visit the Café any longer.

On Dec 14, 2019, reese wrote:
Yes. That was my exact first impression. That the effect might have been ripped off. I asked the question here "was it ?" I got the answer "no". I accept that. Is that O.K. with you? Do you allow me to ask the question in the first place?

Reese, what I do not appreciate is that you publicly assumed first that this might have been ripped off. If you had a question about this, then why not email/pm me and ask directly? If you did, I would have told you that Rich and I have been friends for decades. I also would have mentioned that he called me and offered it to Gemini, to which I accepted.

To be perfectly honest, I am not sure why I need to explain myself to you at all. I do my best to run Gemini in an honest manner. Online reviews and accusations based on not an actual sale, but a thought, can destroy small home-based business-like GA.

Of course, actual reviews and questions are always welcome. You can question the price, method, etc. However, I will say one thing on price. Each mirror goes through a 4-step process. Each single card goes through another 4-step process.

For both sides.

It takes me hours and hours to make these.

While yes you can buy Richs Zodiac Disc (and encourage you to do so if that type of magic is your thing) for $35, there is no manual labor in that product. No high quality double thick hand waxed cards, no aged mirror, no museum type box, etc. The GA disc is also antiqued. Not to mention the hours spent on research and thought on this release. Like others have said before, its not an accurate comparison.

If you feel you can produce a finished product for me for $35, Ill hire you tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest!
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 16, 2019 10:31PM)
Honestly, I feel terrible about the whole thing. You are completely right. Often my posts to the Café are impulsive. I didn't consider how the medallions could look so alike. I appreciate most of the product I've purchased from you. Even if it doesn't work for me I see the artistry. I apologize for my reckless stupidity. Through others posts here I found out my mistake. By then, of course, it was a public discussion. I know Bizarre Magic often involves a story, well considered, worked out over long sessions. The cliche of that is: you tell a story and then after an hour... a pencil moves! Moving across a table! And then it falls! Off the table to the floor! I guess I got too much into mocking the whole Bizarre thing. I am truly sorry.
Message: Posted by: reese (Dec 17, 2019 11:48PM)
There are only two left at Meir Yedid Magic. They won't be made again. It is a worthwhile prop. But.... you can buy it elsewhere for more.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 19, 2019 07:53PM)
Mine arrived in the mail today. Wow! that was fast.

For those who are also lucky (and were fast enough) to buy it, what do you think about the "aging" process on the face of the mirror itself?

For me, I'm not sure if it reads as authentic, but rather appears like a decal on the surface of the glass. I see some more patterning beneath the glass, and that seems to me to be more of what I would expect.

Having seen my fair share of antique mirrors, I guess I was hoping that it would more closely resemble what I've seen in the past; with the glass somewhat foggy, and the silver backing behind the glass worn and tarnished.
Message: Posted by: Mad0hatter (Dec 22, 2019 09:03PM)
[quote]On Dec 19, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Mine arrived in the mail today. Wow! that was fast.

For those who are also lucky (and were fast enough) to buy it, what do you think about the "aging" process on the face of the mirror itself?

For me, I'm not sure if it reads as authentic, but rather appears like a decal on the surface of the glass. I see some more patterning beneath the glass, and that seems to me to be more of what I would expect.

Having seen my fair share of antique mirrors, I guess I was hoping that it would more closely resemble what I've seen in the past; with the glass somewhat foggy, and the silver backing behind the glass worn and tarnished. [/quote]I don't think I can really tell anything done to the face of mine. Mine look reasonable enough I doubt anyone would question it.
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Dec 22, 2019 10:58PM)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2019, Mad0hatter wrote:
[quote]On Dec 19, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Mine arrived in the mail today. Wow! that was fast.

For those who are also lucky (and were fast enough) to buy it, what do you think about the "aging" process on the face of the mirror itself?

For me, I'm not sure if it reads as authentic, but rather appears like a decal on the surface of the glass. I see some more patterning beneath the glass, and that seems to me to be more of what I would expect.

Having seen my fair share of antique mirrors, I guess I was hoping that it would more closely resemble what I've seen in the past; with the glass somewhat foggy, and the silver backing behind the glass worn and tarnished. [/quote]I don't think I can really tell anything done to the face of mine. Mine look reasonable enough I doubt anyone would question it. [/quote]
I think only a very experienced eye would question the aging of the face of the mirror. I'm usually tough to please when it comes to realism, and it looked convincing to my eye. And in a performance people would have even less time to look at the mirror. So that doesn't concern me.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jan 13, 2020 09:59AM)
I guess it's just me then.

Personally, I'm surprised that Vic went with the method he did for aging the mirror. There's plenty of DIY tutorials on the web that show how to antique a mirror, typically using muriatic acid, that looks like the actual antique mirrors I've seen hanging in many a famous haunted location.

On the other hand, I find the aging done to the back of the mirror and the cards to be quite acceptable.

However, I'm tempted to either sell mine, or else, try prying off the mirror and replacing it with a different mirror. One of my other issues is that the mirror is clearly a craft supply mirror glued to the "coin," and is not inset into the coin, or at least has a beveled edge, as an antique mirror of this type would appear.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in purchasing mine (after all my critique) and doesn't want to wait for Vic to make another batch, please feel free to PM me. I'll be more than happy to let it go for what I originally paid for it (plus shipping).
Message: Posted by: Damian1031 (Apr 5, 2021 06:55PM)
I have this and personally, I think Vic did a great job with it - it lends itself to tons of possibilities