(Close Window)
Topic: Custom Quick Change help
Hey friends,

I'm currently in the process of creating a new routine for my show. One element involves a quick change that I would need. I know nothing about quick change illusions, and I am looking for someone who would make a custom quick change for this particular routine I'm working on.

I'd truly be grateful if you can point me in the right direction.

Zak Mirzadeh
For how many people? For example, a One Person Quick Change - use a variation of The Rip Van Winkle Illusion by Edwin Brush (c.1940) as found here: https://www.magicnook.com/PVC-Books/PVC04/PVC04-05RipVanWinkle.htm Most two person quick change illusions also require a couple of assistants to participate such as in the "Transfigmigration" which is a made-up word from "Transfiguration" and "Migration" that describes what the audience sees happening. The Illusionist is wrapped up in a cloth and is transfigured into someone else. At the same instant of time, he migrates to the back of the audience. In other words, be more specific about what you have and what you need.
Hey Jim,

Thanks for this. I can't get into the specifics of the routine. But essentially, I am a one-man show. So, it would need to be self-contained. I will have a big piece of butcher paper as a cover to do the change.

Thanks for the book references, but what I'm really looking for is someone who designs quick change as this would be very custom to my show.

Zak
Okay, you left out a lot of helpful information, like is it for you, if you are a man, and want a full clothing quick change outfit, then that has never been done to my knowledge. Usually it a woman that can accomplish a quick change outfit.

I have never seen an advertisement of anyone sewing custom quick change clothing. I am sure they may be some in Las Vegas, but the price would be very expensive.

The only solution I can offer, is for you to purchase the Quick Change Transformation book, and lean what is involved. Then find a Taylor and/or Seamstress to get together with, and create your vision. I suggest you check if the book covers men's clothing before you make a decision to purchase the book.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-books/quick-change-transformation/?There gclid=Cj0KCQiAvJXxBRCeARIsAMSkApqZQl2Gj3tFrItUO5WlFpthUfu0uQwckCV6WarhmU1ymHpqzsd7mloaAl0LEALw_wcB

There is a quick change vest, and necktie on the market, by a guy in Europe. More recently, there have been a couple T-Shirt changes available, the latest one looks really good.

Many of the magicians you see do cloths changes by holding something up in front of them, and let it drop, is their own inventions. They did not just buy it ready made. They came up with the idea and then worked out the method themselves. That is the big reason magicians like Danny Cole does not have anyone else coping them.

Hope this helps in some way.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, you left out a lot of helpful information, like is it for you, if you are a man, and want a full clothing quick change outfit, then that has never been done to my knowledge. Usually it a woman that can accomplish a quick change outfit. [/quote]

Very few and far between for sure, but they do exist. The Orange Magician from AGT is probably the latest example of a full on quick change act. Of course, there is some help in this.

[youtube]38gSMK3eHWo[/youtube]

Typically for men the only option is a tear away garmet.

[youtube]fT8ZZ2nUnhU[/youtube]

The hardest thing is finding a tight undersuit that looks good.
In fact, many people have done a male quick changes including Danny Cole and David & Dania. I would suggest contacting David. They make quick change costumes from time to time. They are not cheap but they are the best. david@costumechange.com.
My favorite is Fielding West. Saw him live do his "600 lb Burmese man eating Tiger" change in under five seconds.