(Close Window)
Topic: “22” New book by Scott Creasey coming soon
I had a psychic flash this new book might be coming soon. Or maybe it was an email.

In any case, looking forward to this release!
Me too, Stunninger--and I'm guessing that goes for a lot of us! This was a very welcome email (er, psychic flash) as I am always looking for good info about psychic parties, and Scott's MMM books have been marvelous.

So many of the pros seem to feel that psi parties should be readings only, without any mental effects. I'm fascinated with Scott's approach and I'm interested to see how he incorporates a bit of mentalism into his parties without breaking the psychic mood. (The photo of him, in the Lulu preview, having some wine with the ladies after his disastrous first party is priceless.)

Can't wait for this! Since Scott’s sale lasts until Tuesday, I’m going to wait a couple days since I expect Lulu will have a further 10% or 15% discount code up shortly, as usual...

Seth
[quote]On Jan 25, 2020, Stunninger wrote:
I had a psychic flash this new book might be coming soon. Or maybe it was an email.

In any case, looking forward to this release! [/quote]

Looks like it was published last week... so not even coming soon:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/scott-creasey/22/paperback/product-24399152.html
Will probably order next week...sounds interesting...
[quote]On Jan 25, 2020, Seth speaks wrote:

Can't wait for this! Since Scott’s sale lasts until Tuesday, I’m going to wait a couple days since I expect Lulu will have a further 10% or 15% discount code up shortly, as usual...

Seth [/quote]

Exactly, you can count on it!
I think I'm allowed to talk about this now - so here you go!

Scott kindly sent me a pre-release copy and I had a chance to read it.

Firstly - this is all very good, practical material, and it's offered with a very respectful stance. Here's my review blurb:

"Tarot cards are often mistreated in mainstream magic and mentalism. At best, they are treated as mere props, at worst, with sneering cynicism. Scott Creasey, however, clearly respects the cards for the powerful tools they are and approaches using them in mentalism in a refreshing way. This book is full of practical, straightforward effects that are within the reach of most performers. Many are well tailored for psychic parties where the focus should be more on the participants than the performer. If you are interested in adding some solid and powerful routines with Tarot cards to your repertoire, I highly recommend you check out this book!"

Some of these are well suited for psychic parties, and/or as introductions to readings. Others might fit better in a mentalism or bizarre set.

The one caveat I guess that it's worth mentioning is that for those that are fairly familiar with Scott's work, you will be familiar with many of these methods. Much of the material in 22 uses ideas that he has has explored in MMM and elsewhere, but applied to tarot. Which is to say lots of solid ideas that are real world practical.
Ordered my copy :)

Looking forward to reading another of Scott's informative, practical and road-tested essays and routines.

Paul McCaig.
And there it is, as expected--discount code ONEFIVE gets a further 15% off Scott's intro price... order placed!

Seth
Looking forward to Q&A Tarot. Have always found Scott’s releases well worth the investment.
Book received, can't wait to get enough peace around me to dive in!
Mine is scheduled to arrive this week. Can’t wait to read 22!
22 arrived yesterday :)

I will share my thoughts as I read the book.

The Loftiest Dreams Become Concrete Realities

Scott Creasey

Preface, Introduction, Keeping It Real (pages 1 - 14)

Scott briefly shares the story of how he got started performing tarot/psychic parties in people's homes at age 22, how he turned failure and a bruised ego into motivation to find a better way and ultimately succeed. What to leave at home, thoughts on a performer's style and the props they may bring, doing what feels right for you, selecting a tarot deck and more.

14 pages in, I'm excited, feeling as though I am reading a work that could prove to be quite valuable long-term.
Continuing my review...

Pendulum (pages 16 - 21)

Scott introduces the first of his tarot/psychic party routines, involving three randomly chosen cards and a pendulum. The focus of the routine is on the sitter, demonstrating how they are drawn to a particular card based on their present situation.

Of the 22 major arcana, the sitter selects three face-down random cards, which are then mixed again by the sitter. She selects one card and looks at it, then returns it face down, mixing the cards again.

Even though the 22 major arcana cards are completely ungimmicked, well-mixed by a guest, three cards randomly chosen by the sitter and also well mixed by the sitter, the psychic entertainer is able to know which card the sitter was drawn to.

Scott also explains how he uses additional pendulums with other guests during the party so they can become familiar using them, and mentions briefly the pendulums will play a role in back of room sales at the end of the party. Looking forward to learning more about that.

Perhaps others much smarter than me will read the description of the pendulum effect in the book and know how it was done. I did not, and found this first effect quite intriguing.

Really enjoying this book and wondering if I might find myself in the tarot/psychic party business in the near future...
My review continues...

Responsibility (pages 22 - 25)

In this short chapter Scott underscores the important differences between performing tarot/psychic effects for entertainment and giving tarot readings for individual sitters at the party, summarizing the section with five key insights.

Coming from a man who has been successfully performing tarot/psychic parties for 30 years, I feel these few pages have offered wise counsel.

As with all of the books and videos of Scott's I have read or watched, the quality of the thinking in 22 is impressive.

I look forward to continue reading...
I haven't visited the Café in months and wasn't aware there was a thread about the new book "22".

So it was a surprise when I was told last night it was being reviewed.

I thought I'd drop in and say thanks to those who have bought it, and thanks to those who have started to review it. Here's another review, from a man who really knows his tarot, shared on another forum recently.

cheers

[quote]"I am loving this book.

I don't like to pick out just one item...but Tarot Q and A is a touch of genius.

I present mediumship demonstrations...this would be a lovely way to finish the demonstration.

Wow...just wow.

I am going to work.on this and craft it to suit my own work.

Thank you so much for sharing this........David Lees"[/quote]
My review continues...

Psychic Sitter (pages 26 - 30)

In this effect one volunteer is chosen as the sitter, who selects six random cards from the pack of 22 major arcana. The sitter mixes the 6 cards and without looking at them, hands one card to each of 6 other guests. The sitter then selects one of those six guests as the "target".

The target looks at their card, then returns in to the stack of 6, all face down. Only the target knows the name of their card. Only the target ever sees their card until the very end. The cards are kept face down and mixed a number of times, yet somehow the reader knows which one the target is thinking of.

This is one of those truly baffling effects that Scott calls self working. It's the kind of method I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I don't really understand how it works, but am glad it just works.

22 is proving to be a very enjoyable read. I continue to wonder if after finishing this book I may find myself with a new part-time business performing local tarot parties.
Continuing my review:

A Date With Destiny (pages 31 - 39)

This is a "Chronologue" themed effect, using tarot cards and a single diary. However, as is to be expected from Scott Creasey, he has super-charged the routine, re-working it somewhat by adding his own devious thinking and layers of deception.

Those familiar with Cassidy's Chronologue effect and method will appreciate just how impossible Scott's version appears.

Rather than describe the complete effect, I will just quote three sentences from this chapter, with a few words in between deleted so as not to give anything away:

"The tarot cards are in the hands of the guest before the diary is introduced, the reader doesn't approach the cards throughout the presentation, and...(deleted to protect the secret)...The second guest merely thinks of a date in the year, she never reveals the date she is thinking of, there is only one diary used and that is in her hands before she's asked to choose a date.

Think about that for a moment..."
Went to Portillos’s drive through tonite to buy a whole chocolate cake because, you know, I needed a whole chocolate cake. When I was driving away I saw the number the stuck on my windshield was still there. I reached up, pulled it off and looked at it. Must be a sign.
I don't do readings of any sort, but if it comes from Scott Creasey then get it if you like to do readings. I've never been let down by anything I've bought from him. His stuff is always full of gems.

Greg
I've devoured the book and am now on a more careful, second reading. I agree pretty much with everything Stunninger has said so there's no point doing a more in-depth review as his is covering all bases.

I stopped doing readings a few years ago due to burn-out and a change in circumstances but this is the first thing that's got me interested in going back to doing readings. The material is excellent and the advice segments/essays are totally on point. I can't recommend this enough if you are wanting to get into readings.
Well said, David.

Continuing with my review...

Tarot Party Conclusions, Tarot Tool Kit, MINDS6 (pages 40 - 44)

In these three short chapters, Scott shares some additional thoughts on segueing from the three main routines he uses at the start of his tarot parties into readings, introduces a series of additional routines he refers to as his 'Tarot Tool Kit', and explains how he received a bit of unexpected mind-expanding inspiration at a lecture in Newcastle which has influenced his thinking and opened up new possibilities with some of his routines.

Indexed Tarot (pages 45 -52)

This is a wonderful and very strong routine. The effect as the sitter and guests perceive it: The reader removes the 22 major arcana from his pocket, hands them to the sitter and asks her to mix them up. The sitter is then instructed to remove 6 of the cards. Of those 6, the sitter mentally selects three. The sitter is then asked to verbalize the three cards she thought of. The reader explains the meaning of each card and the meaning of the order which the sitter selected the cards. The meaning of one of the three cards is of particular importance. The reader asks the sitter to hand him a single envelope which has been sitting on the table the entire time. The reader opens the envelope and inside is a folded piece of paper. The reader removes the paper and hands it to the sitter who opens it. Written on the paper is the name of one of the three tarot cards she mentally selected, the one of particular importance, along with several handwritten thoughts about that card and its meaning.

This is a fantastic routine with multiple methods and multiple layers of deception at play. Pure genius!
Just waiting for a Lulu code to drop 👍
ONEFIVE code is live...
Oh I'll be buying this

Scott if you're reading this it would be great to have a book on your actual readings you do, e.g the spreads/business side/marketing

I occasioanlly do readings at gigs as a backup set/or if someone asks if I do readings and I just use the Major Arcana, and use your Eternal Triangle layout (from your tarot in your pocket book)
I inhaled this the same day in landed on my doorstep. As an unabashed Creasey fan this lived up to (and in many ways exceeded) my expectations.

It is REMARKABLE how much variety Scott can squeeze from the same core techniques that make up the bulk of his recent releases. Even when some of the routines in 22 are almost beat-for-beat the same as those shared in his earlier books (his approach to 4DT for example) I can't help but smile at how different the impact and tone of the effects are when applied to the Tarot.

This was a lovely read and has given me plenty of inspiration. I'm certain that if you've liked MMM1 and MMM2 you'll savor the same caliber of ideas within 22.

Best wishes,

Drew
Continuing my review...

Three Faces of Time (pages 53 - 60)

Effect: The reader removes two packs of major arcana cards, asking the sitter to choose one pack. The reader removes one card from his pack and places it face down, explaining to the sitter he feels this card relates to her past. The sitter is asked to select one card she is drawn to and place it face up next to the card the reader has chosen. This is repeated two more times, once for the present, and again for the future.

The reader next selects one card called the signifier and places it face up on the table. He explains what this card means, and gives a short reading based on it.

The routine ends by the reader turning his three face down cards over to reveal they match the three cards selected by the sitter.

Another powerful effect made possible by some very clever thinking.
My review continues...

Tarot's Last Stand (pages 61 - 65)

Effect: A routine with three guests at a psychic/tarot party, inspired by Neal Scryer's "last one standing". Each guest chooses a card from a pack of the major arcana. With his back turned to the three volunteers, the reader instructs the volunteers to change places several times, then has two of them sit down. The reader gives a short reading to the last person standing, names them, and reveals the tarot card they selected.
My review continues...

Cold Reading Fact or Fiction (pages 66 -75)

A deep and thought-provoking chapter sure to ruffle some feathers. Fallacies of cold reading. Cold reading vs. genuine readings. Tarot in psychotherapy and more.
My review continues...

Blind Tarot (pages 76 - 83)

Effect: the reader puts 12 small coin envelopes on the table and asks a guest to pick them up, mix them, then select one envelope and hand it to the reader. The reader opens the envelope, dumping the contents on the table, which is a single folded piece of paper. The guest is instructed to open the paper and read what is on it. Written on the paper is the name of a famous person. The inside of the envelope is casually shown to be empty.

This is repeated 2 or 3 times to show each envelope contains a different name of a famous person.

Another guest is asked to randomly select an envelope but not open it.

The reader explains tarot readings can be given for sitters who aren’t present, and proceeds to mix the 22 major arcana and deal five on to the table face up.

A reading is given based on the five selected cards.

After the reading, the reader asks the guest to hand him the envelope they randomly selected and have been holding unopened. The reader opens the envelope and dumps the single piece of paper on the table instructing the guest to open the paper and read the name on it.

The reading just given matches very closely the famous person whose name is written on the slip.

I really like this powerful routine. All of the routines so far are powerful, actually. The methods at play are not new but are combined in such a way as to make this effect appear utterly impossible.

22 is proving to be a wonderful book which I am enjoying immensely.
Tarot Stack (pages 84 - 85)

Hidden Vision (pages 86 - 88)

These two short chapters explain a stack using the 22 major arcana, and a present - future reading using the stack.

Hidden vision allows the sitter to remove 2 cards from a shuffled stack of the 22 major arcana, and put the 2 chosen cards in her pocket. The reader proceeds to given a present - future reading based on the chosen cards without apparently knowing what the two cards are.

Bloody brilliant.
Continuing my review...

The Power of Three (pages 89 - 93)

Effect: the 22 major arcana are shuffled and cut several times. Three sitters are chosen, each instructed to cut a small packet of cards off the top and hold it against themselves without looking at the card facing them. The card packet selection is done with the reader turned around, not facing the sitters. Once all three sitters have a small stack of cards, they are instructed to look at the card they cut to and remember it.

The first sitter reads out loud the names of the cards in the small stack she holds. The second sitter reads silently to herself the names of each card she holds. And the third sitter merely holds the cards she has chosen between the palms of her hands.

The reader is able to name the card each sitter is thinking of and gives a reading based on each sitters chosen card.

This routine is ingenious. It just seems utterly impossible.
Something I keep forgetting to mention about this wonderful book:

Before I bought 22, I made up my own set of major arcana flash cards using blank business card stock. I wrote down the number and name of each card, on its own card, then looked up meanings for each of the 22 cards. I chose to go with 4 key words for each card, writing them down on the cards. For example. The fool card says, “Fool”, the number 0, and the four key words I selected to describe what the fool card means.

I practiced for weeks. Eventually the meanings and numbers were recorded in my memory and I knew them cold.

I’d recommend this process to anyone wanting to learn the 22 major arcana.

However, in the book 22, Scott has done much of the work for you. Each chapter or section begins with one of the major arcana along with three words Scott has selected to describe that card. And they are in order, 0 through 21. So all you have to do is write them down on blank business cards, blank playing cards or index cards and you have your flash cards ready to go. A nice bonus for readers of this book.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2020, Stunninger wrote:
Something I keep forgetting to mention about this wonderful book:

Before I bought 22, I made up my own set of major arcana flash cards using blank business card stock. I wrote down the number and name of each card, on its own card, then looked up meanings for each of the 22 cards. I chose to go with 4 key words for each card, writing them down on the cards. For example. The fool card says, “Fool”, the number 0, and the four key words I selected to describe what the fool card means.

I practiced for weeks. Eventually the meanings and numbers were recorded in my memory and I knew them cold.

I’d recommend this process to anyone wanting to learn the 22 major arcana.

However, in the book 22, Scott has done much of the work for you. Each chapter or section begins with one of the major arcana along with three words Scott has selected to describe that card. And they are in order, 0 through 21. So all you have to do is write them down on blank business cards, blank playing cards or index cards and you have your flash cards ready to go. A nice bonus for readers of this book. [/quote]

I recommend "Flashcards" application if you are using Android.
Great suggestion, pacozaa. Hadn’t thought about using an app. Guess I’m too old school. It’s a good idea.
Absolutely love your detailed reviews, Stunninger...thanks for taking the care and time!
[quote]On Feb 19, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Absolutely love your detailed reviews, Stunninger...thanks for taking the care and time! [/quote]

My pleasure, Mr. Mindbender. Glad you find them useful!
My review continues...

Just when you think the routines couldn’t get any better!

Eternal Triangle (pages 94 - 104)

Two different versions of this routine are taught. I’ll briefly describe the second:

Effect: The reader places an envelope on the table. The 22 major arcana are shown, mixed thoroughly and handed to the sitter who cuts three stacks. The reader asks the sitter to choose one pile for the past, one pile for the present and one pile for the future. This is truly a free choice. The sitter turns the top card on the past pile over and the reader gives a brief reading about her past based on this card.

Next the sitter turns the top card on the present pile over and the reader gives a brief reading about her present based on this card.

Finally the sitter turns the top card from the future pile over and the reader gives a brief reading about her fixture based on this card.

The reader opens the envelope which has been sitting on the table since before the cards were shuffled, cut by the sitter and put into piles by the sitter. From the envelope The reader dumps out a single folded slip of paper and asks the sitter to open and read it. The sitter reads the name of the future card for which she just received a reading.
My review continues...

Devils Matrix (pages 105 - 111)

Effect: The reader removes the first 9 cards from the 22 major arcana, then removes one more card and sets it aside face down.

The reader hands the sitter three coins, then thoroughly mixes the cards, finally pacing the cards in three rows, three cards across each.

The sitter places one coin on each of three cards, representing her past, present and future. A brief reading is given for each card, and during the routine certain cards are removed showing how decisions made in the past now impact the present, and decisions made in the present will affect the future. I like this bit of routining very much.

After the past, present and future reading is complete, the reader adds up the numbers of each tarot card the sitter selected, the asks the sitter to turn over the face down card set aside at the very beginning. The total of the numbers on the cards the sitter selected match the number on the set aside card.

I’m purposely leaving out some of the description of the effect so as to protect what the performers says, but suffice it to say Scott has beautifully routined and scripted this effect to flow and conclude in such a way to make it both entertaining and potentially very meaningful for the sitter and other guests watching.
Continuing my review...

Untossed Tarot (pages 112 - 115)

This is a tossed out deck themed effect except tarot cards are used and they are not tossed out in the traditional manner. Rather the three cards selected by the three guests are chosen in a different way. All three cards are different and the reader knows not only what the cards are but which guest has which card.

This is a very good effect. However, I have now come across one area of slight dissatisfaction with this book. This is just my opinion, and others will surely disagree as is their right, but I feel for some parts of the book, in particular some of the handlings or moves, it would have been really helpful to have included some short video links. Scott’s videos are exceptional and I wish he had included some short videos to accompany some of the chapters in 22. Not full performances just how he does certain moves.

Scott does say in this chapter that this is not a book on card moves, and I get that. But if he did offer a supplemental video going over all of the moves used in 22, I would certainly buy it.
My review continues...

Distant Vision (pages 117 - 130)

This is a Fourth Dimensional Telepathy themed routine using the 22 major arcana and post it notes. Three guests volunteer to participate. But instead of the traditional 4DT premise, the reader is able to know the name and relationship of each guest’s chosen friend or relative (who are not present at the tarot party), and give that distant person a reading.

Beautiful routine!

Scott mentions the method seems complicated in writing, but is actually quite simple to perform. I agree it does seem a bit complicated in print, but knowing the handling of a similar routine in Scott’s book MMM 1, the actual execution of the handling is quite straightforward.

22 has been a real treat to read and review. I am sad there are only a few pages left to go, but excited to be preparing for my first tarot party.
My review continues...

A Couple More, Q&A Tarot (pages 131 - 142)

A Couple More provides a brief introduction to two bonus routines, the fist of which is Q&A Tarot.

Scott introduces Q&A Tarot this way:

“The first is a routine I doubt many will perform, but those who do will find they have a ready to go, no props required, psychic system at their finger tips, one that when played straight for the right audience can’t be beaten.”

I agree completely...
Forgot to mention...

Q&A Tarot is completely propless, audience questions are not written down, and everyone’s question is answered.

In many ways, Q&A Tarot may be the ultimate Q&A.
My review continues...

Tarot Talk (pages 143 - 147)

In this chapter Scott provides the complete talk he gives at the beginning of every tarot party or lecture on the tarot.

This is sheer brilliance. Scott’s talk raises and answers the major question and areas of concern many people have, including:

“So, does the Tarot really work?”

“Do I need to be psychic to read the tarot?”

“What happens during a tarot reading?”

And more.

The answers Scott provides to all these questions are worth multiples of the price of the book, to me anyway. Very solid, well reasoned thinking.

One chapter left to go...
My review concludes...

The Perception of Value (pages 148 - 152)

This chapter talks about the thinking behind contemplating and deciding how much to charge and covers:

- Charging for tarot readings

- Perception of value, a definition

- When and where?

My final thoughts about this book:

“22 The Loftiest Dreams Become Concrete Realities” by Scott Creasey is a delightful book that describes in detail exactly how to conduct paid tarot reading parties.

This book spells out what to do and how to do it by someone who has been performing tarot reading parties for decades. The book is well written in a style that is clear, to the point and easy to read.

Overall rating: 10/10. Highly recommended.
This book was such a pleasure to read. Practical, easy material using proven methods ingeniously woven together to create routines that will never fail to leave a lasting impact.

If you know Scott’s style, get this. If you don’t know it, that’s the perfect way to start.

A must-buy. Especially at this price.

Love to all,

Phedon
Hi there,

Does anyone know if there are any lulu discount codes available now? thanks

best
joe