(Close Window)
Topic: Is is just me or are people afraid of giving true comments now.
I feel like the whole world of magic releases nowadays are full of:
1. Adds that look fancy with other magicians (Some you might've never even heard of) telling you how great it is
2. Actual Fillers in the content
and then people are like OMG this is another great product full of insight and whatever, and I'd be like "Seriously? I've seen this from years ago."
So, yeah, do people have lower standards for Magic releases now, or has everyone gone sansmindlike?
Its the Murphys machine at work.
Magic tricks are now given meaningless names like the names given to cars. They are packaged like Iphones and have trailers like Hollywood movies.

But you also have better access to information than ever before. Find or request reviews. Start a discussion in the forums. Chat with the creator or even Facetime with them.

When I was a kid (old timer story ahead) I ordered based on a tiny ad in the pages of a comic book and that was about it.
I'm the worst person when it comes to writing ad copy. So I describe our effects just the way I see them. Another thing is realistic transparency.
People tell me we would sell "A lot more" if the photos were nicer. To me that kicks the real Wow factor right out the front door. We photograph
them just the way they are without any Photoshoping, So what you see in the ad is what you are going to see in the box exactly.

Boy, strolling magician did you just hit the nail on the head with Murphys machine. I recently did a review of their Copper Cups & Balls.
They falsely advertised them as Copper cups, when in actuality they are Copper plated and poorly done at that IMHO. I think the packaging
was actually the most impressive rather than the product inside.

Ace, we specialize in bringing back old effects from years ago. We don't take into consideration that magicians have seen the effect, but
rather the spectators. I don't consider this a lower standard, but bringing back a "Classic" that the public has probably never seen. So far
it has worked out great.
There's a lot of quid pro quo going on, I've noticed its always the same magicians who always leave good reviews for other magicians in their new releases

Also a lot of these murphys Vault Releases you can buy the original for cheaper

I also don't trust dealers who say they use it in their repertoire, chances are they are only gigging a few times a month if they are running a fulltime magic business
If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it...
Some [i]people[/i] prefer to spend a lot of money for one trick with accompanying patter than read one book, learn multiple skills, and create something of their own...

We're livin' in a punters paradise ;)
Lol! Punters paradise!
Things is - we love our toys!

I perform more now than I have in years, but it's an act. It's the same three or four tricks again and again and because I'm getting paid, I'll think nothing of spending good money on some tiny improvement. But I still like the toys. I like seeing how they work, playing with them, showing them to friends (occasionally, but most of them roll their eyes these days!)

There's a huge market selling toys to hobbyists. Most of the stuff on the market will NEVER make its way into the performing repertoires of pros. For example, I have "Daryl's Ultimate Ambition". It's a gorgeous piece of magic: well though-out and wonderfully deceptive. I've performed it about twice. Why? Because if I go out casually where I might be asked to perform I prefer to just toss an ungimmicked deck into my pocket (maybe there'll be a odd-backer and a Twilight Angel in there as well) and be done with it. People who do walk-around also have to consider pocket-space, and reset time, and angles, and lighting, and repeatability etc etc.

So the market is crowded, but there seems to be room for all these toys. And as MeetMagicMike reminded us: for us old timers, this is a golden age! At least you see what you're getting (usually!)
We all love our toys and will continue to buy because they make us happy.

Murphys is just pumping way too much magic into the market. Magicorthodoxy on youtube rarely has anything bad to say about a product when many tricks are just given to him. He needs to scrutinize more as 32 thousand followers look to him in a very crowded market where many of us feel overwhelmed at how many things come out per day. Harder to make informed decisions. Usually we only know in hindsight.

Seems like for every 10 things I am sucked into purchasing, only 1 or 2 end up being worth the money.

Also, please stop recycling everything back into the market and remember when “crediting” was done in magic.

I love magic and will never stop purchasing. Lord help me.

I love magic just as much as all of you, but its starting to feel like we are the ones being fooled and getting played.
I always try to add comments about new releases and I try not hold back with my opinions. However, I try to be fair to the creator, but also honest with my assessment. More specifically, is it something I will actually use? What I don't like on the Café are the people who receive complimentary copies and praise the release despite not actually liking it or only doing it to help a magic friend.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
There's a lot of quid pro quo going on, I've noticed its always the same magicians who always leave good reviews for other magicians in their new releases

Also a lot of these murphys Vault Releases you can buy the original for cheaper

I also don't trust dealers who say they use it in their repertoire, chances are they are only gigging a few times a month if they are running a fulltime magic business [/quote]
I’m not sure there are many people that run a full time magic business, possibly Peter Nardi and David Penn, well David works for one he doesn’t run it and David is definitely a very busy working pro. I personally don’t gig anywhere near as often as I used to because I’m getting old but I do still have a working repertoire and I still use a lot of my material which is why I can include the pitfalls.

As far as reviews are concerned people have a tendency to only write when they waste money on stuff. Reviews of good stuff are a little bit harder to come by and reviews sell. To give an example for Totally Free Will there were plenty of pre-orders but despite it being out for 3 months there have been two reviews. One posted before release and one posted by magic orthodoxy. After release maybe 4 copies were sold before the next review which then kicked off a bunch of sales. All feedback from buyers has been that they love the book and I haven’t seen a single copy put up for sale on the second hand market. So I can completely understand why some people will ask their friends to post reviews.

However I do agree that there are people out there who come up with stuff for the sole purpose of releasing it without ever testing it in the real world and these tend to be the busiest threads on here. Probably because the market isn’t for real world tested solid material. Workers tend to buy a lot less and tend to move in the same circles and share their material. It’s the hobby side that drives the market, people who perform to family and friends and people who love to learn about magic but who don’t actually perform. This is the target market of much of the stuff that gets released these days. There are exceptions but a large percentage of stuff released these days couldn’t be used in an actual show.

Mark
[quote]On Feb 8, 2020, strollingmagician wrote:
We all love our toys and will continue to buy because they make us happy.

Murphys is just pumping way too much magic into the market.

I love magic just as much as all of you, but its starting to feel like we are the ones being fooled and getting played. [/quote]

They could never pump way too much magic into the market.
All the new decks and rubix cube tricks out seems excessive. Sock tricks are next. Lol.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2020, acethewonderer wrote:
I feel like the whole world of magic releases nowadays are full of:
1. Adds that look fancy with other magicians (Some you might've never even heard of) telling you how great it is
2. Actual Fillers in the content
and then people are like OMG this is another great product full of insight and whatever, and I'd be like "Seriously? I've seen this from years ago."
So, yeah, do people have lower standards for Magic releases now, or has everyone gone sansmindlike? [/quote]

IMO (YMMV) people have lower standards for almost everything (at least based on reviews), not just magic releases. But, magic releases are part of it.

I recently saw a review where the reviewer went over pros and cons, said they liked the product and gave it 3 stars out of 5 (which seemed reasonable based on the review, probably would have gone to 3.5 if half stars were allowed). Someone commented, "You liked the product but didn't give it 5 stars? Why would you not give it 5 stars?"

Because if you like something AT ALL these days, it's supposed to automatically get 5 stars. Sigh.

And this is even after all the BS regarding testimonials or praises from friends for other friends.
I'll buy something on here if it inspires thought. There are a lot of fun/cool things out there to play with, but at the end of the day it usually doesn't suit my style.

20 years ago I was a swiss army knife magician (one moment I would do a card trick, then read a mind, then escape a chain...) but now like others have stated my strolling act consist of only 6 tricks.

Now there are somethings I do buy (collect) such as vintage instructions, duck pans, and brass pedestals. But today I'm more just looking for something one of my puppets could use to perform a trick.
The magic industry has never been so bloated. Online shops only need to have one or two items in stock. Murphys will demand to have items on hand (but not purchased). So there's very little downside to the Penguins of the world and even the distributors carrying crap items. Combine that with the fact that anyone with a phone can record a demo, quip pro quo friendships between creators, pre-leases, an active magic Café audience that loves to speculate and hype pre-leases and boom, you've got the answer for why we're in the absurd place we're in.

That explains the hype but doesn't explain why "people are afraid to give true comments." I don't think they are. It's just that by the time the item is actually released, the speculation and quip pro quo BS is over and people have moved on to the next pile of junk and the cycle begins again. As for the handful of chumps who are $40 lighter and stuck with another desk drawer item? Most of these people are probably slightly embarrassed and would rather move on then expose the fact that they got suckered...again.
I'm going to give my opinion as a very new buyer and user of products.
I'm one who likes to do research on anything that I buy, i. e. cars, electronics, camera equipment, and yes magic accessories.
I always go for quality over quantity and function over flash. There is not worse feeling when you get something and it breaks or doesn't work after a few uses.
That being said, most of my purchases have come from Airship and I've never been disappointed with quality. Things like sponge balls and TT even vary in quality. I found out the hard way that coins need to be researched as well.
I'm ready to purchase a Lippencott type box from Viking Magic because of real great advice from people on this forum willing to be honest with me.
Well that's my 2 cents from a noob :)
We must be highly selective moving forward as the crap coming out will not let up. Good luck to all of you on your next purchases. I hope they are more than you expected.
To answer the OP’s original question , not likely .
I will always say what I think about anything magic or otherwise without fear of retribution .
I don’t understand why people pussy foot around in today’s world .
You don’t have to agree with me or anyone if you don’t want to .
Whats the point in anything if you are just a nodding lap dog .
That will never ever be me Gaz 🙂
All the fake reviews are one of my biggest pet peeves in magic. There are a couple youtube channels which have reviews going up rapid fire, and never have a critical thing to say about any of the products. People who pay nothing for the products don't look at them the same way an actual purchaser would. One of the things I always try to understand when I see a review, is whether the reviewer is someone like me, who is paying their own money for the thing.
I try not to hold back. If you want me to say something honest bad or good about your product, send it to me.
Message: Posted by: UnbiasedMagicReviews (Feb 10, 2020 12:05AM)
Are you guys tired of seeing reviews that are just another advertisement for products? Tired of seeing reviews that offer no real insight? Tired of reviews that don't tell you virtually anything about the product other than what the ad copy says? Tired of review channels that only give glowing reviews because they are receiving the magic product for free to review? Tired of seeing these review channels that post up a new review everyday and obviously they haven't used the product themselves? Do you want a stone cold, honest review? Well come check out my review channel. I don't hold anything back. I give you all kinds of recommendations, alternative options, my real thoughts. No one sends me any magic products so I tell you the honest truth from real world experience using the product. I personally demo everything I review because I am actually using these magic products in my own performances. I am not afraid to say out loud what you would be thinking if you purchased the product yourself. I am not here to suck up to anyone. I purchase magic everyday. My purpose is to help people make better informed decisions regarding the magic they buy. I get nothing from this other than the satisfaction that I am helping my fellow magi. Remember that! Several magic creators have already sent me nasty mail as they didn't like my reviews. Sometimes the truth hurts and is hard to accept.

Come watch Unbiased Magic Reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYX0ZQN30w4BvuwRkxYstsw

The only place on youtube where you can trust that the review is honest and unbiased.

I just watched a book review yesterday on someone's youtube channel (not going to mention any names) but they didn't say anything informative about the book at all. I was like, REALLY!? What a waste.
Pssst... ¶
[quote]On Feb 10, 2020, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
(not going to mention any names)[/quote]

I thought you weren’t afraid to tell it like it is?
Message: Posted by: UnbiasedMagicReviews (Feb 10, 2020 03:37AM)
[quote]On Feb 10, 2020, TheGingerWizard wrote:
[quote]On Feb 10, 2020, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
(not going to mention any names)[/quote]

I thought you weren’t afraid to tell it like it is? [/quote]

Yes when I review magic products. But this was in reference to someone's magic book review on youtube.
I highly recommend UnbiasedMagicReviews's YouTube channel!
I agree his reviews are excellent! I enjoy them. I just wish he would promote them on their own merits rather than make snidey comments about others without then having the front to name them. Either say why yours are worthwhile and leave it at that or have the stones to call someone out properly. Making comments about others and then saying ‘im not naming names’ just seems a bit snakey to me, but hey maybe its just me!?
If anyone is worried about reviewing something incase they get horrible emails from creators for being candid and honest then let me do the reviewing .
I will only write is as I see it and have absolutely no worries whatsoever whatever they email me .
It honestly would hardly ever happen and I literally wouldn’t be bothered about it one little bit I truly wouldn’t Gaz 🙂
My main problem with these near endless YouTube reviewers is that I don't often see why I should trust their opinion. Don't know who they are or their experience or performance style. What might be **** for them may work for someone else.

Are they pro? Amateur? Something else? All have advantages and biases...

Have they performed it? In what environment? That kinda thing.

They're not all bad, but in my eyes, they are all pretty much the same...

I think Real Magic Reviews is the best...
[quote]On Feb 10, 2020, IAIN wrote:
My main problem with these near endless YouTube reviewers is that I don't often see why I should trust their opinion.... [/quote]

Someone needed to say it ;)
You don’t have to trust them but it certainly gives you more information which can only help imo .
Of course it has to give you the skinny of various pros and cons then you just have to fill in the blanks .
It’s more helpful imo than literally know review at all .
If they don’t answer the questions that need answering in your own mind then that often tells you the answer in itself Gaz 🙂
You do have to trust them. To be thorough, fair, to have spent a bit more than ten minutes with the product. All kinds of things.
Yes you’re right Iain you do have to trust them on the core elements .
I suppose I mean if someone keeps giving things 10/10 you might know based on the review and the reviewer as a whole it’s an 8/10 in most people’s eyes .
As you know it’s like judging a magic competition if you give the first person 10/10 you have no where to go if the next competitor is better .
Therefore if they are great you can say mark down an 8/10 and juggle this figure around until they have all performed .
That’s my method anyway Gaz 🙂
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Feb 10, 2020 02:15PM)
I for one appreciate honest reviews from people who actually purchased the product with their own hard earned money and field tested it before reviewing.
Yeah me too I wouldn’t want anything for nothing . I presumed people like Hocus Pocus review it because they are buying stock anyway Gaz 🙂
Message: Posted by: UnbiasedMagicReviews (Feb 10, 2020 03:10PM)
[quote]On Feb 10, 2020, IAIN wrote:
My main problem with these near endless YouTube reviewers is that I don't often see why I should trust their opinion. [/quote]

I totally agree with you! The main reason I even started my own YT review channel is because I felt that many of these reviews are simply another advertisement as they are supplied these products from magic companies for free. They are not unbiased. I also suspect they are not using the product in the real world. How can you churn out a magic review every day and try to claim that you have any real world experience using any of those products? I buy magic every day and perform for people constantly. So am I qualified to do a review since I am constantly buying this stuff and using it all the time? Experience is the best teacher and trial and error has been what shortens the learning curve. In almost all of my own magic reviews I demo the products myself (unlike most reviews you see). I'm not afraid of knuckle busting sleight of hand or the practice that goes into it. I only review magic products that I have extensive experience using. Example - I purchased Elixir magazine over the summer and it took me months before I even made just the first review because I wanted to really road test the material. There was a time that I was also including real world performances as part of my reviews but I was only including the audio because people are hesitant when I tell them that I am going to use the footage on youtube. The funny part was the reactions I got. I was expecting people would appreciate to hear a real world performance, to see how I am using the products that I am reviewing. Instead they didn't like that it was only audio. I stopped including live performances as part of my reviews since people didn't appreciate it.

I hope that I have given you guys something to think about the next time you watch a review on youtube. For those people that don't want to watch an unbiased review or don't want to hear the truth then please don't watch my reviews. You definitely don't want to hear my analysis and comparisons I do with other magic products. =)

As I mentioned above, I don't get anything for spending my time doing reviews other than the satisfaction of helping others.
One man's truth... et al
The other thing I have no use for is the "big name endorsements." Usually, one hand washing the other.
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Feb 11, 2020 08:50PM)
It will be interesting to see the reviews on the 30+ new Blackpool releases on here and on youtube play out. Let the fun begin. :crazydude:
The magic Café is a site designed to sell product. So...why complain about it here. It's a blatant commercial endeavor. It's designed to sell you product. Resistance is futile. Buy the latest newist thing. You can't resist. Do it now. And then... hype it.
To be fair to Steve Brooks I think selling products is a necessary evil rather than the purpose of this site. In a previous life I ran one of the largest combat flight simulation sites in the world Frugal’s World of Simulations and I can say from experience that when your traffic gets high and your forums get busy the running costs go up astronomically. Bandwidth is cheap until you start using a ton of it and need a dedicated server, then it gets very expensive. It is simply not economically viable to run a site as busy as this without either charging subscription fees or advertising. My forums only had around 16000 members.

When it comes to reviews, I tend to know which creators I trust and which reviewers I agree with. I also know which reviewers don’t match my tastes. When I provide my own material for review I provide it with no strings attached and ask the reviewer to give their honest opinion. Reviews are worthless if they are not honest.

Personally I am more likely to write a review of something if I like it. If I have nothing good to say I usually don’t bother to write anything unless the thing is so bad that I think people need to be warned. I’m sure there are reviewers out there with similar policies. I have been asked to endorse things in the past and have declined whilst privately giving my opinion to the creator. I won’t endorse something unless I genuinely like it.

Mark
[quote]On Feb 12, 2020, reese wrote:
The magic Café is a site designed to sell product. So...why complain about it here. It's a blatant commercial endeavor. It's designed to sell you product. Resistance is futile. Buy the latest newest thing. You can't resist. Do it now. And then... hype it. [/quote]

I respect your opinion and even agree with some points to an extent, but I have to disagree on other points. I have only been a member for a little over a year before you joined but I remember 17 years ago when I joined, it was more of a message board but very advanced for the time. This was a great place to find other magicians in your area as well as meet some from many different continents. It was free to join and use all the forums then and still is. I really believe for Steve Brooks, the Magic Café is a labor of love.

Sure there are more L&G products being shoved at us in the proper forums, but that is, in my opinion, people who want to sell new items as well as some put "out there" to sell to the hobbyist so they can pay to advertise here (the part that pays for all this as well as donations from members who can afford to).

I think because in the beginning of the Magic Café's life, there was not a lot of promo videos. I still remember getting catalogs mailed by companies big and small (Chris Smith's "Magicsmith" was a favorite of mine). Often you read a blurb, sent a check and later got your "item" if you loved it or hated it, it was yours, no refunds - you bought the secret. The Magic Café made it possible to communicate with others and often make better buying decisions. It's kind of the same today, it just comes with more trolls and drama. In the end, it still works out.

I remember when Penguin first started doing video demo's of the effects they sold and thought it was the next best thing than being at the local magic shop. Unfortunately, it eventually led to video demo's being par for the course if you wanted anyone to buy a product. Then they tried to go Hollywood but many took the route of deception by how and what they showed. This brings us to now but it is certainly not Steve Brooks trying to sell merch.

I liked it more back in the beginning but it is still the best of all the forums out there Thanks to Steve Brooks, his web gurus and the Mods who do their best with the extreme volume of replies and new threads every day.

As for the topic of this thread - "Is is just me or are people afraid of giving true comments now" I think it is just him. If anything, you can find just as many true negative comments as there are true positive ones. As far as reviews, I never go by pre-planted quotes by other creators. Then there are several "Review Channels" on YouTube. Most of them "I" consider useless. Some were great, like Jeff Stone's videos and "My Lovely Assistant" but I think his health got too bad to do it anymore. I pretty much gave up on most review channels. Instead, over the many years on this forum, I have quite a few members who I know I can count on their view and several who I take with a grain of salt. Lastly, a list of members that I just outright ignore their entire posts. I find it easy to skip what I don't want to read rather than take the bait and argue. I live by the rule, Don't feed the Trolls.
I find it easy to skip what I don't want to read rather than take the bait and argue. I live by the rule, Don't feed the Trolls.

Great post I am a sucker for that , hence one social network platform ( ie here ) is enough for me .
I would find life quite boring though if we couldn’t have an opinion on anything or pull people up when they are obviously wrong imo .
( see there , we have to almost apologise with imo after everything we say these days 😂😂 )
Gaz 🙂
I pulled up some well know names here some time ago for their over priced rubbish, and although I didn't receive open threats, I did receive condemation from members here, their fan boys sent flying monkeys to condemn me. The slight satisfaction that after time they were exposed and the fan boys silenced was a very minor and shallow victory.
I come here to enjoy a comradery of like minded people who enjoy the same arts and discuss the pro's and con's, but to wake up in the morning to those members who enjoy confrontations rather than discussions and others who just enjoy trolling or just wanting to demonstrate their superior intellectual being, is not how I want to start my day.
So now, I basically stay quite and don't pass on rubbish in the "for sale section" instead I take the hit and it goes into the back draw, sometimes the bin.
I do continue to answer many PM's but little in open forums anymore. There are some really wonderful members here that one can benefit greatly from their knowledge and then there are those who are legends in their own minds here as well.
I tip my hat to those who can take the heat and appreciate their opinion's.
Like a lot of social media sites, the Café can wear you down just like any site of it's kind.
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (Feb 12, 2020 09:45AM)
The Magic Café motto is “magicians helping magicians”. Feels more like “magicians selling magicians” now.
The Wizards of Madison Avenue are not called Wizards for nothing; advertising is a form of magic called Sorcery; controlling the inner, with the outer world - a matter of matter over the mind as opposed to mind over matter. When a great magician becomes a great sorcerer he will become big on the boards.
I don't think that people is afraid but I do think that people does not give their honest opinion or the today standards for most of the people is way low.
I dunno how many times ive seen magic reviews theyare almost always positive and the final conclusion is like is a good trick you should buy it...
Since when you have to buy it if is a good trick? Is like this is the new hyper trick you must buy it and the next day you found out that there is version 2.0 and other super wonderful stuff that you must buy...

Magic is not treated like an art anymore...
NowadaysMagic is treated like fast food.
You eat fast, continue qwith other things,
Is the other day, you eat fast...
Can’t believe this post stop. Great discussion here