(Close Window)
Topic: UNOrthodox by Antonio Martinez
UNOrthodox is an interesting take on the Ultra Mental or Invisible Deck effect that uses cards designed to look like UNO cards. Not only is their named card the only card reversed in the deck, but it is the only actual playing card in the deck. Unique and easy to do, this would be great in a close-up setting or in your favorite coffee shop with a game shelf.

More info: https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=66382

Best regards,
TItanas
Nice update on the invisible deck!
Fun take on the ID. Might pick this up just to mix things up a bit. Just gotta wait for part of my taxes to come back in.
How much memory work is involved, and do you need a crib card.
Nice idea, really enjoyed it.

We need a review from MagicOrthodoxy :bg:
Interesting idea, though $40 seems kinda pricey for a slightly modified ID, no? Also, I like the Dave Loosley presentation in which he says his son must have swapped out his cards, but the Antonio presentation where he does the basic ID script feels weird. I'd wonder how much more impressive is that than the regular ID given that premise. I think it's better to come up with a more unique presentation that takes more into account regarding the Uno cards.

Still, between this, You Know by David Jonathan and Scott Creasey's UNO It, someone could put together quite an Uno-based routine these days.
$40 for that?! Thatís insane.
Are we beginning to shift from Rubikís Cube magic to Uno cards magic?
[quote]On Feb 14, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
$40 for that?! Thatís insane. [/quote]

yep, because everyone has been buying everything else at that price...it has set the market to gouge us on everything until we decide enough is enough and stop buying it all.

Yes. Especially considering most folks here probably know how to and have the necessary to create such a deck themselves.
If anything, itís a minor tweak on a classic. Not to mention the cards arenít even true Uno cards and the real cards arenít even Bikes or Phoenix brand. This should be $15 at most.
I like the idea, and I think it has good entertainment value. If I was to use this in my show on a regular basis, it would be well worth the $40 to me. If I was just going to show it to a few friends and then shelve it, then it would not be worth it.
[quote]On Feb 15, 2020, no2ss wrote:

Yes. Especially considering most folks here probably know how to and have the necessary to create such a deck themselves. [/quote]

Support the creator - stop ripping people off for their imagination and creativity by making your own...

If the trick can create wonder and entertain your audience, and help you make some money, them $40 is a steal!
These cards must be thin card stock Iím assuming :confused:
[quote]On Feb 17, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
[quote]On Feb 15, 2020, no2ss wrote:

Yes. Especially considering most folks here probably know how to and have the necessary to create such a deck themselves. [/quote]

Support the creator - stop ripping people off for their imagination and creativity by making your own...

If the trick can create wonder and entertain your audience, and help you make some money, them $40 is a steal! [/quote]

It's an ID deck. How is it ripping anyone off to make your own ID deck?
[quote]On Feb 17, 2020, pegasus wrote:
These cards must be thin card stock Iím assuming :confused: [/quote]
Agreed, it has to be in order for it to work.
[quote]On Feb 18, 2020, markmagic wrote:
[quote]On Feb 17, 2020, pegasus wrote:
These cards must be thin card stock Iím assuming :confused: [/quote]
Agreed, it has to be in order for it to work. [/quote]

I suspect this is instead covered by the odds or even question as demonstrated in the trailer, but thatís just speculation.
Grabbed this for the Daveís presentation for those at home magic moments.
Correct David. There must be a 26 card restriction that is taken care of via equivoque.

But the Alakazam video demo had no restrictions. Hmmm
I picked this up at Blackpool. As above, you are limited to half the deck, however the included equivoque makes sense in the presentation. As for the price, agreed it is pricey considering you can pick up an ID in Bikes for £7, however Alakazam have had to create and print a very unique deck for this trick, presumably to avoid any copyright issues. Card stock used is nice, and it has been created with SF spray rather than RS, which will again add to the cost given the ridiculous price of SF spray.

One thing I will add - the backs of the ordinary cards are not standard rider backs. I doubt any muggle will notice or care, but there is nothing to stop you from replacing these with cards from a deck of standard bikes - or a deck of your choosing, as these cards are not gimmicked in any way.

I'm not trying to defend Alakazam here - this year's Blackpool offerings were again lacklustre, many re-treading old ground, and their own releases have been creeping up in price, however I can see where the money has been spent on this, and it is a nice little trick.
But are uno cards the same size?
Uno cards, in board game parlance, (as Endersgame on here, a fellow board gamer, will tell you) are Standard American card game size (56mm x 88.9mm - effectively Bridge sized). The 'One!' cards used in UNOrthadox are standard poker size (63.5mm x 88.9mm).
Thank you. Thought as much.
I saw this at Blackpool and was suitably underwhelmed. The person demming it used a presentation where he realised his kid had been playing with the Uno cards and put them in his card case then co-incidentally the one playing card left in the middle was there chosen card. I can't think of many better presentations that would make sense or could have the gravitas you can build up with an ID. On top of that, you need to use equivoke at the start and the price point means you're unlikely to take a punt on it and see how it plays. Unless you had a very specific reason to use this prop I can't see the point.
For the price you should get two decks. Odd and even, and begin with decks in pocket. At least it would be nice to have the choice.
Funnily enough, Nardi mentions this in the instructions - when the creator brought it to Alakazam it was two decks and they streamlined it, advising that if there is enough interest they may release 'odd' decks in the future, lol. You've got to hand it to the man, he knows how to make a bob or two...
The Alkazam video starts with "have you got a favourite card" I am guessing this cannot be an accurate promotional video as you would have to have 104 cards in the deck - then there is an other trailer showing having to use an equivoque - The first is clearly misreputation which seems to be a growing trend when marketing products to magicians maybe they get so used to fooling audiences its crept into their sales pitches
[quote]On Feb 20, 2020, peterdilger wrote:
The Alkazam video starts with "have you got a favourite card" I am guessing this cannot be an accurate promotional video as you would have to have 104 cards in the deck - then there is an other trailer showing having to use an equivoque - The first is clearly misreputation which seems to be a growing trend when marketing products to magicians maybe they get so used to fooling audiences its crept into their sales pitches [/quote]

The only industry that isnít regulated and they exploit it to the max. The cost of this effect for only a 50 percent hit is scandalous imo.

Then just don't buy it... there, all done.
Hi Tom its not a matter of "then don't buy it" many people will buy the product after looking at the promotional materials luckily some of us have the forum to look to for advice - but even there someone will have probably had to buy it before giving a review.

The ASA Code of Practice (enforceable in law) covering misleading advertising includes:

Rule 3.1 states ďMarketing communications must not materially mislead or be likely to do soĒ.
rule 3.3,states that "marketing communications must not mislead by hiding material information or presenting it in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely manner".
Rule 3.11 states "care must be taken to avoid exaggerating the capability or performance of a product"

Product creators in our market space have a problem of not revealing the "secret", so do many others, but all are subject to the rules relating to misleading advertising. am sure that many of us in the forum have such items in our draw or which have been thrown in the bin - and as long as we take the view "Oh well I shouldn't have bought it" a small majority will take advantage and push the boundaries.
These comments are not against any particular vendor or creator but are observations based on a full draw of unused props all bought before joining this forum.
Oops should be drawer not draw lol
[quote]On Feb 22, 2020, peterdilger wrote:
Hi Tom its not a matter of "then don't buy it" many people will buy the product after looking at the promotional materials luckily some of us have the forum to look to for advice - but even there someone will have probably had to buy it before giving a review.

The ASA Code of Practice (enforceable in law) covering misleading advertising includes:

Rule 3.1 states ďMarketing communications must not materially mislead or be likely to do soĒ.
rule 3.3,states that "marketing communications must not mislead by hiding material information or presenting it in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely manner".
Rule 3.11 states "care must be taken to avoid exaggerating the capability or performance of a product"

Product creators in our market space have a problem of not revealing the "secret", so do many others, but all are subject to the rules relating to misleading advertising. am sure that many of us in the forum have such items in our draw or which have been thrown in the bin - and as long as we take the view "Oh well I shouldn't have bought it" a small majority will take advantage and push the boundaries.
These comments are not against any particular vendor or creator but are observations based on a full draw of unused props all bought before joining this forum. [/quote]

Don't think the ASA code of practice is relevant here (as in the UK). Also, I'm sure they could/would just argue against what you saw in the advert. I imagine it could go something like ...."He named an odd card it WAS the one that was turned over. Had he said an even card the trick would have worked slightly differently and been..." oh interesting. Any idea what my son's favorite card is ... he likes even numbers...." Subtle right! ;)

You don't see anyone complaining about Mark Elsdon's B'voke which has only one out but uses the same method as this to lead the spectator towards a certain selection of cards.
Reason I never buy anything from Elsdon
[quote]On Feb 23, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Reason I never buy anything from Elsdon [/quote]

That's too bad.... can't pull it off huh?
I received this on Friday and learned it yesterday. IMO this is stronger than an invisible deck because there's probably a large number of laypersons who think that that magicians can somehow reverse a named card by using sleight of hand. But with UNOrthodox the named card is the ONLY card in the pack, thus elevating the impossibility. Moreover, the UNO cards lend themselves to more entertaining presentations and the Science friction spray makes the cards handle better (no accidental chance of them separating). I know it that it may seem expensive when compared to a traditional Invisible deck, but when you consider that the cards were specially printed (they are larger than actual UNO cards) and that they coated the cards with more expensive Science Friction spray, you'll be getting a deck that looks and performs as good as advertised.

BTW- I agree with Peter Nardi's decision to go with only one deck instead of two. The equivoque line is so fair that it will fly past 99.9% of spectator's without question it and does not dilute the effect. I would not purchase a second deck if were made available.
Curious what kind of card box people are carrying this in. Do they include a genuine looking Uno box?
Or are most using a standard Bicycle box and then acting confused that a deck of Uno cards are in it?
Just curious what the options are.
I prefer removing the cards from a Bicycle card case, but that decision should ultimately be decided by your presentation.
[quote]On Feb 23, 2020, Jared wrote:
I prefer removing the cards from a Bicycle card case, but that decision should ultimately be decided by your presentation. [/quote]

Thanks Jared, I get it and I'm 99% sure I would use a Bike case too, but just would like to know if they include an Uno case in order to even have that as an option. My guess is that no Uno case is included.

Since the cards are larger than standard Uno cards I assume they would not fit in an off the shelf Uno case.

Also, I presume that only card in each pair is treated as that is how SF works, but can anyone comment on whether the treated cards are sprayed on the entire card surface or only in the center section as is the case with Richard Sander's Any Card?
They include an UNO case, but it cannot be examined closely; although it would certainly fly by you were performing on stage or parlor. The cards are poker-sized. You are correct in that they cannot fit inside a traditional UNO case.

The UNO cards are treated with SF spray, but not the playing cards, which means that spectators can examine their card and won't find anything strange about the texture etc. All the details are well thought out by the Alakazam design team.
So you could choose to use bicycle stock cards instead then I assume?
Hi Pegasus, yes you can remove those generic looking red cards and replace them with any Bicycle card style of your choice. What's important to note is that these "regular" cards do not have SF applied to them...Only the UNO cards do. So, if you lose one of the reveal cards or it somehow gets soiled from a spectator who has greasy hands from eating chicken wings you can easily replace the cards. The UNO cards are actually never handled by spectators.
OK, got it, but is the entire surface of the card treated or only a section?

This is important to a lot of people including myself because it determines how difficult it will be to use the deck.
Is it 100% fact SF spray is being used?
Thanks Jared.

Yes, it has been confirmed more than once that SF has been used.
Videoman, the SF spray is only applied on the two opposite ends of the card...the middle section (slightly less than 50% of the card) does not have any on it to facilitate separating the cards.
Thanks Jared
So you could buy 2 and have free choice in that case. Start in pocket.
Mine arrived and pleased with the quality.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
So you could buy 2 and have free choice in that case. Start in pocket. [/quote]

Not quite a 'free choice'. you could switch out the non uno cards for odd values and mentally adjust the markings, but you would have to steer the participant away from either the Aces or Kings as there are 6 odd values and 7 even.
Here is my latest blog review on Unorthodox by Antonio Martinez.

https://www.alexmagicreview.com/post/unorthodox-by-antonio-martinez

This is a neat effect with some issues. You may read all the details in this review.

Hope this help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Great review Alex. And as I stated, and you yourself, a 50 percent reduction in choice is backwards imo. Why would you do it? Oh well, more money saved.
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Great review Alex. And as I stated, and you yourself, a 50 percent reduction in choice is backwards imo. Why would you do it? Oh well, more money saved. [/quote]

You are right. I am sorry for the creator... he made a 2-deck version but it was changed.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Of course the creator would have to speak for himself but I'm not so sure this was created to be an improvement on the ID. Who said that, him or Alakazam? This is more like a quirky, playful version. I don't agree with a 2 deck version due to price and pocket space.

Leo
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, gibby357 wrote:
Of course the creator would have to speak for himself but I'm not so sure this was created to be an improvement on the ID. Who said that, him or Alakazam? This is more like a quirky, playful version. I don't agree with a 2 deck version due to price and pocket space.

Leo [/quote]
Hi Leo, I understood your choice of 1-deck version.

Thatís why I tried to say, if a 2-deck version was provided, then we can choose no matter our preference is.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
I have uploaded the Youtube review. I've started a new series called 'Alex Magic Review: Quick Look' in addition to my in-depth reviews.

I will offer quick but informative reviews on the latest products. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLt4uo-GvQ

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, gibby357 wrote:

Leo [/quote]

For the price, 2 decks shouldíve been provided imo.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, alexhui wrote:
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, gibby357 wrote:

Leo [/quote]
Hi Leo, I understood your choice of 1-deck version.

Thatís why I tried to say, if a 2-deck version was provided, then we can choose no matter our preference is.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong [/quote]

I agree it is always nice to have a choice and we all think differently!

Leo
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, gibby357 wrote:

Leo [/quote]

For the price, 2 decks shouldíve been provided imo. [/quote]

40 bucks and up seems to be the going price for gaffed decks these days from what I am seeing. I made my statement based on 1 deck being $40 and if they added another, then it being more. Perhaps like Alex said, a choice would make us all happy!

Leo
Like I mentioned above.. you could make this a 2 deck effect because you can exchange their cards for bikes, because itís the uno cards that are treated and they are poker size.
[quote]On Feb 24, 2020, Jared wrote:
Videoman, the SF spray is only applied on the two opposite ends of the card...the middle section (slightly less than 50% of the card) does not have any on it to facilitate separating the cards. [/quote]

That is strange, my uno card only has one end sprayed and doesnít stay together well. Can anybody else confirm that it should have both ends sprayed ?
[quote]On Mar 2, 2020, rowland wrote:
Videoman, the SF spray is only applied on the two opposite ends of the card...the middle section (slightly less than 50% of the card) does not have any on it to facilitate separating the cards. [/quote]

That is strange, my uno card only has one end sprayed and doesnít stay together well. Can anybody else confirm that it should have both ends sprayed ? [/quote]

The cards are sprayed on 1 half, it is explained in the video. Pushing on one side they stay together, move fingers to the bottom and they seperate.
And it saves them 50 percent of spray on each deck. Iíd prefer the whole card sprayed personally. And yes I own my own tin of sf, and know exactly how it functions thank you.
[quote]On Mar 2, 2020, tomdeg wrote:
[quote]On Mar 2, 2020, rowland wrote:

That is strange, my uno card only has one end sprayed and doesnít stay together well. Can anybody else confirm that it should have both ends sprayed ? [/quote]

The cards are sprayed on 1 half, it is explained in the video. Pushing on one side they stay together, move fingers to the bottom and they seperate. [/quote]

Yes I have watched the vid and have made my own decks and cards using sf. I also have fortuity which uses the same principle but unfortunately my cards split far too easily
Iíd go over them again Rowland. As you know with SF. Less is more.
[quote]On Mar 3, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Iíd go over them again Rowland. As you know with SF. Less is more. [/quote]

Youíre probably right but Iím a bit miffed that they are brand new. The sprayed part doesnít actually feel like sf cards I have sprayed myself
[quote]On Mar 2, 2020, pegasus wrote:
And it saves them 50 percent of spray on each deck. Iíd prefer the whole card sprayed personally. And yes I own my own tin of sf, and know exactly how it functions thank you. [/quote]
Spraying the whole card would make them practically impossible to spread/separate?
Not if done properly. SF was not marketed as a 50 percent only coverage spray.
Only half of the Uno cards are treated I think.
With SF you get spraying templates and none of those were for a full card.
[quote]On Mar 3, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Only half of the Uno cards are treated I think.
With SF you get spraying templates and none of those were for a full card. [/quote]

Thatís because you wouldnít need a template for a full card. Come on, think about it.
A "properly" SF full card would NOT spread apart. That's the purpose of it. The cards would be "lifted" to separate. If you could spread two cards apart with one of them fully treated, it's not done right.
[quote]On Mar 3, 2020, tomdeg wrote:
A "properly" SF full card would NOT spread apart. That's the purpose of it. The cards would be "lifted" to separate. If you could spread two cards apart with one of them fully treated, it's not done right. [/quote]

Thatís fine Tom but I have several decks and packet tricks where the whole card is covered and I have no problem spreading.

You have to remember that alternative spray treatments are full spread on both cards. SF is no different other than you only have to spray a single card.