(Close Window)
Topic: Magicians spread viruses?
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Feb 20, 2020 06:15PM)
Are you virus aware?
We shake their hands. We give them cards, pens, coins and other objects to touch. Then we go to the next table and do the same again. We could, unwittingly, be the one person responsible for the spread of their (and our) germs or viruses!
Here are a few thoughts on practical steps we should all be thinking about to prevent the spread of viruses and germs.

1) Your presence at an event is your way of making a living, but if you have the flu, sore throat, coughing, runny nose, etc. then ask yourself what impression will you be giving to your clients? What germs might you be spreading? what does your contract say about you being unhealthy? (as opposed to being unwell) Do you have a contingency plan or a magician friend who can step in?
2) Consider taking a new deck of cards to every event and throwing the used deck in the bin afterwards. Germs can stay on any surface for a few days. Can you use plastic cards which can be washed when you get home? How often do you clean your sharpie or other props that they touch?
3) Does your audience really need to touch anything? Can you perform the same effect with minimal audience contact while still keeping them involved?
4) Restrict the amount of time you spend at each table and try to avoid touching or being in very close contact with your audience.
5) Carry a sanitising hand spray or gel in your pocket. Discretely use it say, every half hour at a function. I have started to bring the spray out after my closing effect and explain, for my final trick, that I can make germs disappear. I say the cards have been handled by hundreds of people and would they like to use my hand sanitiser? I get some very nice comments. "how thoughtful, what a nice gesture", etc.

Wishing you a safe and healthy future.
Little bit paranoid.

Do you realize EVERYONE shakes hands at these events? As a performer you are no more a conduit than the most popular person there.

Do what you want needless to say but paranoia helps nobody. Guests stay at the table all night! They dance, touch, talk close, hand out business cards, and society goes merrily on. Most gems are only effective for 24 hours.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about.
I encountered that scenario this evening in light of "Flu Season" and have escaped getting sick thus far.I want to keep it that way.
I was performing at a table and a woman who was with her family started coughing and hacking.
It concerned me, especially this time of year. I directed my attention to others at the table and afterwards headed for the hand sanitizer.

You can't escape all the "bugs" but I'm more cautious during these few months who I physically interact with magically.
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Feb 21, 2020 04:39AM)
[quote]On Feb 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Little bit paranoid.

Do you realize EVERYONE shakes hands at these events? As a performer you are no more a conduit than the most popular person there.

Do what you want needless to say but paranoia helps nobody. Guests stay at the table all night! They dance, touch, talk close, hand out business cards, and society goes merrily on. Most gems are only effective for 24 hours.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about. [/quote]

Not paranoid. With the threat of a Coronavirus pandemic, we should at least consider what steps we can take to minimise the risks to ourselves and others. My post is only a list of suggestions for a healthier way of performing at events.
[quote]On Feb 21, 2020, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:
[quote]On Feb 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Little bit paranoid.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about. [/quote]

Not paranoid. With the threat of a Coronavirus pandemic, we should at least consider what steps we can take to minimise the risks to ourselves and others. My post is only a list of suggestions for a healthier way of performing at events. [/quote]

It IS paranoid. I mean there is nothing wrong with not spreading virus. BUT seriously the guests interacting are MORE of a danger than a wandering magician. It is just simple.

Yes use hand washing. That is common practice though isn't it?
If you're so freaked out, become a hermit. LOL

As for me, I'll stick to my diet and maintain my salt intake. I'm surrounded by sick people, yet I don't catch a thing.
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Feb 24, 2020 06:06AM)
[quote]On Feb 23, 2020, Alan Munro wrote:
If you're so freaked out, become a hermit. LOL

As for me, I'll stick to my diet and maintain my salt intake. I'm surrounded by sick people, yet I don't catch a thing. [/quote]

I am not freaked out. Just looking for healthier ways of working close-up and walkaround magic for me and for my clients.
Good point. But the issue is not what the truth is. The issue is what perception is. That is the sad part.

It happens too much so many times. Hurricane forecast have shut down businesses forever and they never came through as true. Resorts have shut down from the Swine Flu nonsense over hype. Exaggerating dangers of certain countries kills travel related industry quite often.

Worst part is they are never held to account.
We should not overreact about the corona virus and injecting a little funny into any serious situation can be helpful in many ways. Most things have two sides as well. The biggest danger in an outbreak is complacency, that is how it could gain the opportunity to spread out of control.

Here are two great YouTube videos, one serious, one funny, both informative. The first is the World Health Organization update on the virus, as of today March, 5th. The second is a "Last Week Tonight" episode with John Oliver.

WHO Update - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yspzHBCG9I8&t=844s

Last Week Tonight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09m5f7Gnic
OMG... John Oliver is hilarious. That was awesome!
[quote]On Feb 20, 2020, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:
Are you virus aware?
We shake their hands. We give them cards, pens, coins and other objects to touch. Then we go to the next table and do the same again. We could, unwittingly, be the one person responsible for the spread of their (and our) germs or viruses!
Here are a few thoughts on practical steps we should all be thinking about to prevent the spread of viruses and germs.

1) Your presence at an event is your way of making a living, but if you have the flu, sore throat, coughing, runny nose, etc. then ask yourself what impression will you be giving to your clients? What germs might you be spreading? what does your contract say about you being unhealthy? (as opposed to being unwell) Do you have a contingency plan or a magician friend who can step in?
2) Consider taking a new deck of cards to every event and throwing the used deck in the bin afterwards. Germs can stay on any surface for a few days. Can you use plastic cards which can be washed when you get home? How often do you clean your sharpie or other props that they touch?
3) Does your audience really need to touch anything? Can you perform the same effect with minimal audience contact while still keeping them involved?
4) Restrict the amount of time you spend at each table and try to avoid touching or being in very close contact with your audience.
5) Carry a sanitising hand spray or gel in your pocket. Discretely use it say, every half hour at a function. I have started to bring the spray out after my closing effect and explain, for my final trick, that I can make germs disappear. I say the cards have been handled by hundreds of people and would they like to use my hand sanitiser? I get some very nice comments. "how thoughtful, what a nice gesture", etc.

Wishing you a safe and healthy future. [/quote]

Thank you! Good ideas. NOT paranoid! Coronavirus is VERY contagious and spreading like wildfire.
So, I guess that means signed card to mouth is not part of your act? LOL

I'm glad so many of you are freaking out over this. I can't tell you how much comedy material you are giving me.

Yesterday, I did a show in Lincoln, NE and did about 6 minutes of comedy material about people like you. The audience loved it and after the show, people said they wish there was more people like me who don't live and die by the fake news, scare tactics and instead, has fun with it. I told them, there are a LOT more people like me out there, I'm not the only one, who has common sense.

So keep on being paranoid because you are fun to laugh at. While you're hiding in your bomb shelters and rioting over toilet paper, I'm cashing checks in your name.
I agree with the OP for the majority of the best practices
In this special time, if you are lucky enough to have a gig not canceled/rescheduled, we should def. take heed to the latest advice (no handshakes, limit the amount of times our audiences touch our objects, etc..).
I just came back from a 2 days conference for the event industry, whereas it is true a small amount of people still hand out biz cards (we were advised to use the conference's app for contact exchange), I think it def. doesn't hurt to change up our materials slightly to put our audiences at ease.
It does suck when our audiences can no longer experience the magic within their hands, but if you do strolling and particularly restaurant gigs, I will err on the safe side y'all.

Back to sad crying and drinking whisky now that all my shows but one in March is canceled/rescheduled LOL (insert nervous laughter)
Is the bartender making drinks with his elbows? Does the server have a hazmat suit on?

In New York they probably CAME to the gig on the subway!

I wish people would just stop watching the news.

https://www.diamandis.com/blog/coronavirus-fear-vs-reality

There is no doubt things are being canceled, and the people spreading the hysteria don't care. It is just sad they can not be held to account for this type of crime.
I was truly expecting my restaurant gigs to be less crowded. Officials on the news suggesting avoiding public places and yes they included restaurants. Well I haven't experienced any downturn. In fact this evening was extremely busy. My Monday gig was busy as well. I have another on Thursday and Friday. We'll see. I totally agree with you Danny.
My Thursday restaurant gig was busy as well..The restaurant installed wall sanitizer dispensors in various areas. Lots of talk, obviously, about the current virus situation but people in general that I've talked to feel it is overblown and media hype. Time will tell. We shall see Friday's gig.
A lot depends on your area, how hard it's been hit. In Seattle area, it's a ghost town. Some restaurants are closed, some going out of business. State of Emergency declared: no large gatherings (no more that 250 people).

If cases mount in your area, expect the same.
Paranoia isn't always our choice. Strolling is my Bread & Butter. I've prepared a 2nd routine for almost everything I carry. Have recently found myself with guests not wanting to pick a card... hold a knife... or touch a Sponge Bunny! Eek. As I approach each group, I'll try to get a feel for touch or no-touch. Whatever they want I'm ready for. Gonna be a different world for a while.
Before being closed down I was using a riffle and side steal instead of having cards removed from the deck. I stopped doing sponges, and pretty much removed all touching from the show.
How quickly this post has dated.

I hope you Americans are taking a bit more precaution now. To be honest I don't think we're doing much better here in Australia, but the quicker we all cooperate, the quicker this global situation can be contained, the quicker we can ALL get back to some kind of normality. I mean I never thought I'd ever miss saying the words "pick a card, any card" (I know, I hate it too...)

In the fallout of all of this, I'm sure I'm gonna have to use "think of a card", or "name a card, any card" a lot more, even though I do much prefer card magic that can be performed in the spectator's own hands.

I do agree that after the dust settles, & people are less on edge about the whole situation, we can definitely find some comedy gold & perhaps even structure new routines that have a hands off experience, or quarantine, or detecting traces of virus or something as the centrepiece or focus of presentation effects. I for certain am looking forward to it.

But in the meantime, let's give each other & ourselves some space to breathe, to grow, to rest & to recover as a population, a society, a planet.

...& wash your hands!
As one who thinks the whole response to this coronavirus and itís lockdown has been overblown, in light of the threat and the fact that itís proven to be only incrementally more deadly than the typical flu season, Iím wondering how this will affect magic and magicians over the short and long-term. Itís debatable whether the lockdown, at least past a certain point, has led to saving lives or has been a total wash in terms of the number of suicides, people losing their livelihoods, deaths of despair, not being able to have routine and necessary medical procedures done, etc. Iím also wondering how this will affect magic, not only in how we adapt our tricks to the paranoia, but whether people will be as willing to hire magicians over the short and long-term future. I for one do not relish the idea of having to perform while wearing a mask, and Iím sure other magicians have been hurt much much harder than me in terms of losing their entire livelihood over the past two months and possibly in the future as well. I guess only time will tell, but itís up to the general public, yes, ďWe the People,Ē to question whether these measures were valid or whether the ďcureĒ so to speak, was worse than the disease.
I hear ya Timothy and totally agree. There are more than numerous immunologists and microbiologists that say wearing masks and social distancing for the healthy does more harm to the immune system.
Herd immunity is seldom discussed. Why do infants put everything and anything into their mouths. They are building their immune systems. Those Dr.'s are silenced and banned from the media.

I had to laugh. I was at Home Depot on Saturday. Had to wear a mask, had to enter and exit the store in specific places. People were scrambling for carts to haul paving stones, mulch, plants etc. When one person was done with their cart others were eager to get the cart which were in short supply.
Did they care about sanitizing it? No, No, No, they could care less.

Regarding magic, I think people are going to say enough is enough and act out on that sentiment. Hopefully sooner than later. (Well not if the fake news media has anything to say about it)
I had a cousin that just died this morning after a bout of cancer. Over 605,000 people die from cancer every year in the US alone. (National Cancer Institute) Are we shutting the country down to find out why? Heart Attack deaths every year....ready for it? Close to 650,000.

Deaths from Covid and we really don't know if they actually died from covid is 99,459. All deaths are sad period. Even a CDC official stated that if a person died from a respiratory illness or other co-morbidity but had the covid antibody they were noted as "official cause of death-covid-19) They didn't die from covid, thet died from 30 years of smoking.

Time will tell but this is the FIRST TIME in our nations history where the country was shut down and our Civil Rights are being taken away. Civil Rights are inalienable. Which means cannot be taken away. Well certain governors don't care. I'm done ranting. Hot topic for me and MANY others.