(Close Window)
Topic: New show
Episode four of my tv series has a bit of a bizarre magic themed episode for those interested and able to access BBC iplayer. Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000frhc/inside-no-9-series-5-4-misdirection
That was excellent. Best episode of this very enjoyable series so far. Thought we were going to see a wee cameo from "Dolly" there for a minute!
Thanks for the tip. Forging access now.
Absolutely superb! Many thanks for the heads up.

BTW, I liked the look of the Tarot cards.....were they specially produced for this episode?
Yes - the art department did the tarot cards. Glad you enjoyed it.
Always a wonderful pleasure!
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, papalazarou wrote:
Yes - the art department did the tarot cards. Glad you enjoyed it. [/quote]

Great merchandising opportunity there to help fund the good old Beeb while people are taking pot shots at the licence fee: 'The No. 9 Tarot'? I'd be in like a shot! The art department did a fantastic job!
Yes, count me in on the Tarot.

Possibly a Kickstarter funded project....just a thought!
Am looking into possibilities regarding a reproduction of the tarot deck that Neville uses in the episode...
Not available for us yanks.. :firedevil:
Gold - cue Spandau Ballet. Also noticed a little cameo in The Worlds End. Which I finally got round to watching last night.
Curses. No dice.

I'll have to wait patiently for it to hit BritBox.
Britbox has it on 17th March - so not long!
I finally had a chance to watch this episode on BritBox last night. I had to watch it again as soon as the credits rolled. It's that good.

This episode is, in itself, a masterful, bizarre magic routine.

So many levels of 'misdirection' at play beyond the keenly plotted routines that frame the mystery -- the script, the performances... I swear, if you're on this forum, you need to see it. It was practically made for us spookies. There are so many delicious references to our faux-shadowed world.

Bravo, Papa L.

Perkins

PS And of course, if you end up making those cards... I mean... yeah, who could resist?
Thanks so much! I’m delighted you enjoyed it. It was - as you spotted, a love letter to the bizarre!
Just watched on BritBox...beautifully written! The tarot effect is a true lesson in bizarre magic.
Thank you Rick - so pleased you enjoyed!
Fantastic episode of Inside No.9. Who did all the magic props used on the episode belong to?
Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton are genius!
As soon as a cut throat Razor comes into play the legs start to go, for many!

The cut throat razor seen on the BBC show Inside No.9, Series:5 Episode:4 Misdirection is a chilling and disturbing element to add to the already mysterious and strange tales conjured up by Reece and Steve. If you have not seen the shows and you like strange, curious and bizarre tales, with a twisting tinge of horror, then this is definitely for you. This particular episode is a great magic themed twisted tale.

The fantastic cut throat razor (Slasher) prop is available from Black Hart - Black Artefacts, based in the Scottish Highlands, UK. Black Harts customer service is excellent!
Thank you JBD.

Clips available http://www.blackhart.co.uk/ and here http://www.blackhart.co.uk/slasher.html

Keith Hart
Fantastic ! as always, loved the prop spotting and love letter to the bizarre. If you haven’t seen it yet you won’t be disappointed.
Thanks for watching!
I belly-laughed hard when proto-Andy Nymans' first instinct was to murderously bosh him in the nut, rather than peek his secrets!

You two are so good are creating and portraying these vile and tragic characters. The look on Mr. Pemberton's face at the crack of the whisky bottle cap, oh man.

I had not seen anything of this new programme before, but had enjoyed your "The League of Gentlemen". I will be watching more now.

Thoroughly recommended.
I’m glad you found it. You now have five series worth of our stories to enjoy!
There is a lot of magic to Inside No. 9. The writing is extraordinary. It is quite a trick to maintain this level of interesting, absorbing scripts over an anthology, and the talent they keep pulling out of the hat (in addition to Steve & Reece) is just astonishing: from Felicity Kendall and Fiona Shaw to Derek Jacobi and David Bamber (in a role that will surprise!) I am treating myself to one episode each day and, sad to say, I'm nearing the end of the fifth series. The least episode is quite worthwhile, most are simply superb, and two are among the best things I have seen in a very long time indeed. And, if you are looking for more straight-up magic, with a hook, do keep an eye out for Mr Jelly.

This is excellent viewing.

BC
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, papalazarou wrote:
Thanks so much! I’m delighted you enjoyed it. It was - as you spotted, a love letter to the bizarre! [/quote]

Massive congratulations to you and your wicked crew, Papa L.

It’s not a golden hare, but a BAFTA’s still alright.

Looking forward to catching up when your new season hits BritBox!

Bizarre Regards,
Perkins
Thanks for congrats re BAFTA . I hope you enjoy the new season. Available from today on Britbox…
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, papalazarou wrote:
Thanks for congrats re BAFTA . I hope you enjoy the new season. Available from today on Britbox… [/quote]

Another superb season, Reece, every tale different but sublime in its own special way. All are superb, but three deserve special mention...

'Last Night of the Proms' opens far more cans of worms than a first viewing might suggest, with many dark trails for the mind to follow.

I am sure 'How Do You Plead?' will be a favourite here. Its premise immediately suggests a bizarre scenario which should be evident and usable to every visitor to this forum.

For me personally, the highlight was one which people will probably love or hate, depending upon personal tastes: 'Wuthering Heist' I adore it! Why? Maybe it's my love for masks and clowning. Maybe it's my love of razor sharp word play. Or maybe it's because Gemma Whelan, our narrator, has me drooling...

But a magnificent collection all round.
Ah thanks so much! Yes - if there was an episode that this forum should watch first - it would have to be “How Do You Plead” I guess…. probably my favourite from series six. So glad you enjoyed “Wuthering Heist” though! Was great fun to film, and “Last Night of the Proms” is the truly horrific one of the series!
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, papalazarou wrote:
Thanks for congrats re BAFTA . I hope you enjoy the new season. Available from today on Britbox… [/quote]

Perfect! Enjoy the spoils and thanks for the heads up. Also, really been enjoying the Inside Inside No. 9 podcast. Great insight. Now on can get caught up on both.

Headed back inside…
I watched Inside Mo. 9 on Brit Box over the past few evenings. Simply marvelous. In several instances, Idid not

see tghe ending coming .

The episodes are so well acted and produced. I Will never look at the Salem Witch Trials the same way again!

Kotah
Thank you Kotah! The Witchfinder’s episode is probably my favourite of them all.