(Close Window)
Topic: Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona
Anyone seeing less bookings and cancellations of gigs due to the Covid 19 virus? So many events are canceling in my state and at first I thought it was panic but now it seems like its not getting any better. I have two huge corporate gigs coming up next month but not getting my hopes up now.

Decomposing Gigs
Just got back from a tour in Asia and we cancelled Hong Kong and came close to cancelling Tokyo as well. Seoul, Korea was no problem as we were far from the bad sections.
Thanks Ray. Its crazy. Today after I posted, I get a referral from Paris to USA so at least some are still business as usual. I think once we learn more about this strain, things will certainly return to normal.
Yes, so far I haven't noticed any type of slow down or a drop in bookings or cancellations due to this. I suspect there may be a few larger public events that may be cancelled over the next few weeks as a precautionary measure, however, I also suspect some progress and favorable news also during this period that may put many at ease.
The cruise industry is definitely feeling the pain from this. I fear it will get a lot worse before getting better.
So far, I'm booked for nearly 90 fair days and none of them have been canceled. BUT, even if they were, I have the ability to work anywhere, on the drop of a dime. Plus, I don't have all my eggs in one basket (market). Since I have consistent bookings in several markets, one can dry up and while it will suck, it won't break me. A lesson learned long ago, that most workers already know about.
I have had almost a dozen bookings cancelled but 90% of my work is repeat trade shows and universities; so much so that I do little advertising and wait for repeat bookings to call year after year. Rather than lose future bookings from a hard-nosed "We have a contract - you pay anyway" position, I've been letting them reschedule the booking as holiday parties and smaller in-house corporate events.There's a method to this madness in that I am hoping they will see my value at smaller in-house activities and book those in the future in addition to the trade shows and big company meetings. Regardless, now is the time to be generous. It's usually returned in spades.

Good luck!
I have 5 show booked for the next 2 weeks, no cancellations as of yet, but things have gone crazy in Australia! You can't buy hand santizer or toilet paper because demand out strips supply. Is anyone changing their act considering the virus? Have you modified tricks at all that require touching? Is anyone using a mask and if so have you 'dressed it up' to look part of your outfit?
Worth starting to think carefully about how to apply cancellation policies that you may have attached to your bookings. Maybe you can come to an agreement with your clients to effectively retain the booking but with the date still to be confirmed. Or potentially even requesting payment (as per your formal cancellation policy) but issuing a credit not against future bookings.
I've had two big bookings cancel so far. Both were within the next 30 days.

There will be many more cancellations in the next 60 days. I suspect many clients will refrain from booking in the first place. Whether or not the entire year is a bust depends on how this whole thing plays out. Nobody knows right now... and that's the scary part.

One of my mentors recommends HOLDING all deposits, and offering to apply them to a future date. This way you don't have to drain your bank account, you ensure future bookings when things pick up, and you build goodwill with the client.

My instinct is to say that the general public is overreacting. But then again, the currently estimated 10% ICU and 3% fatality rate spell disaster if this virus maintains it's lethality and spread.

I'd be shocked if 2020 ends up a great year for any of us. But fingers crossed.
I'm not sure what markets you all work within that you are seeing such concerns and cancellations or panic, but I must say as a talent broker and nationwide full-service agency owner, in addition to the markets I personally perform in, we have yet to see any cancellation or serious concerns. The closest thing we received was one "what if" call just as a thinking ahead, precautionary consideration. One out of over 700 bookings currently on the books.
So far, no state or county fairs in the areas where I am booked have cancelled or even sent out a "what if" message. I perform in another market, you might call it a secret venue, since no one else works it. That market is my biggest money maker which is saying a lot and again zERO cancelations. I'm performing in this market 3 shows per week.
I work major conventions and corporate events. I am the only one Affected but a simple google search will show you major companies are teleconference in lieu of conventions. Austin Texas is banning any event with over 2500 in attendance without submitting ahead of time written safely guidelines. Guess I am the only one with slow down since I work conferences. Glad everyone else is business as usual.
Yeah being sarcastic cause you can see entertainers all over social media suffering.

https://www.businessinsider.com/major-events-cancelled-or-postponed-due-to-the-coronavirus-2020

No stress for me. I have other ways to make money. And yes long term it will recover. But it will get worse. History always repeats itself.
In the past 10 days, I've had two cancellations from Fortune 500 companies/associations, and one from a Fortune 100 company. The entire conferences were cancelled. Attendees at a corporate event from 2 nights ago informed the planner that this would be their last event until told otherwise, all others were cancelled by their company. Friends working for multinational companies in LA have had their future international travel cancelled, and employees have been instructed to only see clients by teleconferencing - no visits to their US offices until this is over. It's a very fluid situation, and my colleagues working actively in the corporate market are experiencing similar stories.

As far as placing blame, it's difficult to point fingers at one person or one department. There's news coverage from many different sources showing the missteps that the US has made in designing their own tests that fell short or didn't work, while the tests in other countries are getting the job done. A scan of 8 or 9 articles from different sources this morning demonstrates that the US confirmed cases are low, in large part, simply because we haven't had the capacity to test more people. This short chart from Business Insider shows the testing data as of 14 hours ago. It's about halfway down the page:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-covid-19-tests-per-capita-chart-us-behind-2020-3

The business world has already been reacting to the spread of the virus, and trying to keep their employees and clients safe, ahead of the various governmental agencies. They're protecting their people and their money. The list of cancelled events changes by the minute. A prudent person would use this information to formulate a plan around the disruption. The Atlantic has been following this closely and detailing it for their readers. This was posted this morning:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

For those more concerned with lost income than with the possibility of getting the virus, there's some sobering statistics in that article that may change the way -you- work.
I'm tempted to throw up my hands and say "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"

My main market is Alberta -- OIL country. A few years ago there was a fire in Fort MacMurray -- the epicenter of oil production -- twinned with the election of a provincial government that didn't like the oil industry. It was a perfect storm and nearly 60% of my bookings vanished inside of one "holy cr*p...what is HAPPENING???" week. Many shows had been signed a LONG time in advance. That was a tough year.

This year I've only lost a very solid 4 day trade show which has been postponed and one convention booking. I expect that the louder the media beats the drum the more cancellations there will be.

But you know something? This, too, shall pass. It always does. Hunker down, thank God for deposit payments (you DO take deposits, right?) and keep slogging away. It could turn out to be a good thing. After all -- the snowflakes are all running for the hills and taking their "Gee I'll work for almost nothing, Sir -- and I'm worth every penny" attitudes with them.

It is what it is. Worrying about it never once changed a single thing. That's what hard work is for. Who knew?

David
[quote]On Mar 10, 2020, David Thiel wrote: This, too, shall pass. It always does. [/quote]

This is my mindset.
These set backs happen to all businesses in all industries at one time or another. The ones that fail and go out of business are the ones that didn't have a solid business plan in place to begin with. Eliminating the weak links is always good for us who know how to run our businesses and plan for the unexpected.

It Will Pass & We Will Be Fine. The world is NOT going to end.

Keep doing what you do and don't sweat it too much. I just looked and already the stock markets are surging again. Don't believe the media hype, EVER!
Just had another huge 3 day event cancel everything here at a major theme park in Anaheim. I was only producing one show for their closing night but it still hurt. I fully understand they are overreacting but perception is reality. Yes, it will pass, we just have to survive this slow period.
That sucks Ray! The powers that be are certainly under a lot of pressure. I'm sure the majority don't want to cancel, but they have to make decisions, even if they are bad decisions. Hope it turns around for you quickly. The good news is the stock market is moving back up. That's usually a good sign for what's to come.
Everyone needs to pull together. Yes Ray, perception of reality is so true. Last night I put it all in perspective and today I was feeling much better then I turned on the news. Another news conference. Then all the social distancing etc etc. More schools canceling classes and one University where I am scheduled next month cancelling classes. Oh well, best thing is it is not permanent like all we agree on.

:fruity:
**sigh**

A client in a small settlement that was just in the finalization stages of a really sweet agreement says they are going into "Lockdown" mode and won't be doing the event. And it was for March 28th...............a corporate client just cancelled a high producers retreat in Jasper.................an intergovernmental conference postponed a booking till September (they were talking about a 'pandemic')......Really, people! C'mon now...

This too shall pass...this too shall pass....this too.........

David
I just got a call from a client on a big event I am scheduled on April 23. They wanted to know before their meeting if I was feeling apprehensive about traveling and still doing the event. She said she fully understands if I want to pull out. Heck, I basically said as long as it is not inside a nursing home in Washington I am good. I will see if it still goes.

Now that I said that, I have been giving this some thought about my actual performance. I am a keynote speaker but as a lot here, I use effects and closeup inside the personal space of the audience. Now with all this going on, I am going to have to concentrate not only with my routine but how it will play when I use a volunteer. I can of course play it off as comedy and wipe down the everyday prop with sanitizer like I did once with Howie Mandel.

Anyway, I know this is not big issue with so many loosing gigs and I don't mean it to be. Today I received an email from GigSalad about all the cancellations of events and basically we will all get through this. Austin's business took collections and are having a mini music festival anyway.

Its difficult to go to sleep because every time I wake up, the zombie apocalypse gets worse. :evilgrin:
The power of the press and media as I always say
I had 3,shows canceled today for this month. Ouch
Sorry Devin. It seems if I take a nap, I get up and more havoc with the world on the cuspid of ending. NBA postponing season, Tom Hanks and wife infected, Big NCAA tourney played without fans, on and on it goes.

I still have three gigs on hold, all in April. One today emailed me and said now with the ban on European flights, April 3 is on hold. I guess I missed they had clients from Paris flying in. Anyway I was called today by another planner and asked if my town was "that" bad. Fake news or rumors or both. I am the keynote and they just wanted to see if I was still traveling up for the event mid April.

Once people are tested, of course the infected count will rise. But those infected getting sick and dying?
I just had my first cancellation, entertaining kids for a group event at a country club. And my improv comedy group just had it's first cancellation at a small public show. My favorite band cancelled their upcoming European tour cause they couldn't get insurance due to Corona. A friend who does motivational speeches for companies is having a bunch of cancellations.
A couple of thoughts to add -- now that my cancellations are rolling in as well. They are offered here as meat for discussion -- not an excuse to pick a fight:

1) Whether or not the Corona virus is a Chicken Little Bandwagon topic or not -- I am a marketer of my shows. And one thing I know for CERTAIN is that what the client perceives as real IS real to them. If they perceive a "sky is falling" pandemic -- they won't do events. If they don't do events, they won't need entertainment or speakers for them. And if they don't need entertainers...well...you can do the math.

Client perception is everything. The media is expert at fanning the flames. How do I know this?

2) I was a reporter for 10 years prior to moving into the entertainment field. Actually -- I WAS in the entertainment field as a reporter, when you think about it. (And I did.) The radio superstation I was working at specialized in male 18-25. Media -- all media -- is about capturing listeners/readers/viewers. The bigger the market share, the more attractive that media outlet appears to advertisers. Advertisers bring money --which is the lifeblood of media. With me so far?

There's a saying in the news business: "If it bleeds it leads" -- which shrewdly addresses that quirk in the human psyche that loves to hear about and look upon horrible things. This is why traffic slows way down when there is an accident. People are just dying to see someone else dying...or at least to find out what's happening.

Interested people = avid readers/listeners/viewers.

I can lead my newscast with "Everything's pretty good around the globe. There is some concern about a virus called Corona. Medical professionals say you should wash your hands. We are keeping an eye on it." OR I can say "THE W.H.O. has declared the Corona Virus a WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC! SPORTING EVENTS ARE BEING CANCELLED. 108 people in China DIED in ONE DAY from this virulent HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS disease! Cruise ships are being barred from..."

Granted both examples above are exaggerations. But you can understand the tone, right? One explains facts in a straight up but non-inflammatory way. The other fans sparks into an inferno. My simple question is: Which approach are YOU seeing?

Don't kid yourself: the media couldn't care less about the carnage it leaves behind in coverage as long as they get people to pay attention to them TODAY. And if industries start failing -- as they will -- that's good too -- because that's a whole NEW source for stories. Modern media is all about manipulation of facts so that the people can be manipulated. They mess with your emotions, rattle your preconceptions. Every reporter worth their salt knows how to construct a story for maximum impact -- or twist things to suit a predefined conclusion. Every newscaster knows how to take a pause -- just long enough to let YOU know that they agree/don't agree/are as horrified as you/holding back emotions.

Back in The Day -- when I was reporting -- there were still a few ethics. Most reporters would have been horrified at the notion of exploiting a story, editorializing or "blowing it up." But in my day there wasn't competition from the Internet. People weren't getting their news from MSN -- or worse yet -- Facebook posts. There was a whole lot less competition. Now many papers have fallen and the range of options for people to get their news is VAST! Media outlets are fighting for their lives and make no mistake: they will happily elbow their way into the lifeboats in front of women and children if they feel they have to. And they do.

So what does this mean for entertainers???

No matter how you cut it -- it's going to be very bad. Maybe it's going to be bad for a long time. Hopefully not. But to simply say that it's being blown out right out of reality is ultimately meaningless from a hard business perspective.

Personally I need to think about my next course of actions as an entertainer very carefully. That's my reality because it is the client's reality.

David
Boy, I may need to change the title of this thread. It shows how quickly news is changing literally minute by minute. I am a basketball fan and thought I would watch my favorite college team play without fans. I wake up and now the tourney is cancelled.

Cruise ship entertainers no work now (I think I would turn that one down for sure) with all cruises docked now.

I read (hope fake news) Italy in lock down deaths increased 23 percent in one day.
Message: Posted by: EliTheIllusionist (Mar 12, 2020 02:23PM)
I've had 3 clients contact me this morning about their upcoming events this weekend being either cancelled or postponed. Still working out how I should handle the payment or non-payment aspect. For the one client that wants to postpone, we worked out that the payment will be collected and honored at the later date when the client reschedules. All good there.

How's everyone handling clients/events who decide to cancel (meaning not to be rescheduled) but are under contract and near in event date (Ex: this weekend)? Are you sticking to the terms of the contract for payment? Or just breaking the contract agreement, due to the CoronaVirus?
[quote]On Mar 9, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
I think you are creating your own panic in much the same way the media does/has. I'm not sure what markets you work within that you are seeing such concerns and cancellations or panic, but I must say as a talent broker and nationwide full-service agency owner, in addition to the markets I personally perform in, we have yet to see any cancellation or serious concerns. The closest thing we received was one "what if" call just as a thinking ahead, precautionary consideration. One out of over 700 bookings currently on the books. [/quote]

This situation has had to have changed by now...Schools, houses of worship, offices, businesses, are all limiting their services. Schools and colleges are going online for the foreseeable future, Starbucks is considering drive-thru only. Offices are having their workers work remotely (from home).

Trade shows, conventions, conferences, NBA, concerts, Broadway, all shutting down, and canceling or postponing events. Everyone will be affected by this in one way or another. I've had six major trade shows cancel in the past three days, and I fully expect the other two that I have on the books to cancel or postpone as well. It is going to be a very rough ride.
Whether you’re in the entertainment field or not, I think we’re all in for a bumpy ride at least for the immediate future. The stock market is taking a shellacking, and that in and of itself is making people nervous and really question their purchases.

The grocery stores were packed today. Everyone was out stocking up on water, toilet paper, paper towels, and extra food items. Of course, you can’t find hand sanitizer anywhere, except for maybe on eBay and even then, you’ll be paying top prices for stuff that was selling for just a dollar weeks ago.

If you were thinking about buying a new house, car, clothes, take a vacation, etc., all that stuff can wait till this thing blows over. Unfortunately, entertainment falls into that category of things that will most likely get postponed and/or just outright cancelled.

I really feel for anyone out there working cruise ships, trade shows, school shows, motivational speaking engagements, etc. My guess is that even birthday party performers are going to take a hit at least in the short run. Hopefully if you’ve been in this business a long time you’ve socked away enough money to help you get through rough patches here and there.

Let’s pray that things return to normal A.S.A.P.

Gerry
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Mar 12, 2020 10:36PM)
I agree. Actually, if are thinking about refinancing an existing house, now is the perfect time. Mortgage interest rates are the lowest they have been in years as the Fed has dropped interest rates. It is the lowest since the financial crisis. Mine dropped 1.7% from when I bought my house 2 years ago.

Refinances are up more than 10 percent...They are having a boom in that industry.
A major announcement will be coming tomorrow that will spark even greater concern and craziness that will answer some of everyones questions. Many booked gigs will be affected.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Mar 12, 2020 11:23PM)
And here I was trying to go to sleep. Waiting with baited breath Mindpro!

Too much bad news for my taste... Now, it is reported that Trudeau's wife has been tested positive for Coronavirus. Hoping she has a fast recovery
[quote]On Mar 12, 2020, The Mysterious One wrote:
And here I was trying to go to sleep. Waiting with baited breath Mindpro!

Too much bad news for my taste... Now, it is reported that Trudeau's wife has been tested positive for Coronavirus. Hoping she has a fast recovery [/quote]

The more high profile people who recover quickly the better.
Here it's Horror.

All bookings till mid-Avril canceled and almost no inquiries. I work in my country but also in Belgium, Germany, and France.

Luxembourg: Schools closed, no events inside with more than 100 people.
Belgium: Schools closed, Restaurants closed, Discos closed and so one
France: Same

I tought till today that they are over-reacting and the media only make panic but maybe there is much more behind. I never saw anything like this.
Yesterday was quite a day. Biggest drop in the stock market since 1987, and all the cancellations, etc.

Somehow, I was able to make a little lemonade out of lemons.

We’ve been agonizing over our planned vacation, a cruise to Alaska in late June. It not so much getting the virus I was concerned about, but being quarantined for the first 2 weeks of July would be extremely costly for me. I’d be horrified to cancel on all of those clients, some of them have been loyal to me for 25 years, not to mention the amount of money I’d lose.
We decided to cancel our vacation.

Within hours I received a booking for one the dates we’d have had to turn down. I also emailed two other clients who I had told them I was not available and informed them I am now available. One booked, and one has not gotten back to me yet.

So, not only did we save a ton of money on the vacation, I just got 2 bookings I would not have had. Which is good because I have a feeling I’m going to need that money!
Similar experience here, Ken. Our first cruise to Alaska was to be in May, after season closes down here.

In the last couple weeks I've spoken to all of the agents, event planners and activities directors that have booked me for their events. They've expressed similar thoughts to most of us, that the 24-hour news stations are making more out of this than we're accustomed to, and that its impossible to know where the truth lies. So they're erring on the side of caution, in part because of the local Covid-19 cases that are being reported.

But I'm still getting calls for new dates in April and May. They're just different types of events - more private parties and local companies, rather than the larger corporate conferences that are being postponed.

I remain hopeful, and will use the time catch up on marketing, to be ready for when things normalize. I've seen difficult cycles like this before.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
Yesterday was quite a day. Biggest drop in the stock market since 1987, and all the cancellations, etc.

Somehow, I was able to make a little lemonade out of lemons.

Within hours I received a booking for one the dates we’d have had to turn down. I also emailed two other clients who I had told them I was not available and informed them I am now available. One booked, and one has not gotten back to me yet.

So, not only did we save a ton of money I just got 2 bookings I would not have had. Which is good because I have a feeling I’m going to need that money! [/quote]

As I said earlier, nothing has changed. I have not had a single cancellation or postponement personally or at our agencies, brokerage - yet. I fully expect to especially in light of some expected announcements today or tomorrow (if you understand how the media works).

However what I was referring to is my many coaching students and consulting clients whose venues, events, or productions will or are being affected. For example one of my students has 10 Easter events scheduled. There is a strong possibility that these will be canceled in the near future. The school announcements coming will affect those performers, speakers, and presenters for the next 6 weeks, for now, those that perform at trade events, and those that perform at public entertainment venues - that is who my posts were directed at, not the resident Tricky Business (or wherever else I post) agenda troll.

Unfortunately, most performers use a business model that has them working gig to gig, booking to booking, and often check to check, with only one or a primary source of income. These guys and gals will be affected the most by this temporary "crisis." Those working in consumer markets will be hurt the most due to the consumer panic, as will large internationally attended professional market events.

This is a business-related issue, not performance-related. This is why I was asked to come here and address this, from the business perspective, not to mention the ever-important "now what?" and "what is the best way to deal with this?" and "how can this affect the greater picture not yet being seen or discussed?"

As I said this is what it is, is being overplayed by the media, which is fine (not really but again it is what it is), and much we just have to roll with and is beyond our immediate and initial control. But how we handle it is something much more important than many getting stunned by the developments may be considering. As I said it is an opportunity on many levels for the business professional, just like when the real estate market drop happened in 2007, 08 and 09, while devastating many, it was a great opportunity for investors. We need to see the greater picture. Once the media changes it's story and waves the flag that it is ok to get back to normal, will you be ready and prepared. Are you thinking of what comes next? How to turn this into a business benefit or advantage?

Like Ken, our bookings and inquiries have continued strongly, and there are several reasons for that based on our business models. As I said those on the continuous hamster wheel of booking gig to gig on only a 3-4 month window will suffer the most. For now, the hamster wheel has stopped and is broken. Those of us working another busienss models may feel a temorary dip, but I expect there will be a decent bounceback depending on how you deal with this and your positioning. Plus those booking 6, 12, and 18 months out will not feel this the same way other than the next 30-45 days, which if handled right much of which can be salvaged.

Remember this is also a customer service issue/concern with our clients, customers, and accounts. See this for what it is to your business, beyond just your performances being canceled and immediate loss of revenue.

When I say accept it and roll with it, this can also be a great time to do any in-business house cleaning, specialized marketing, and contact with your list)s) offering help, advice, tip, and strategies of how to navigate this, all of which can be utilized to your advantage. This is also a great time to commit yourself to improving your business, learning and business education, and finally implementing the things that get put aside due to our busy performing schedules.

So we can sit around in shock, devasted, or complaining, or we can see the opportunity and possibilities that can be created by this. It is also an eye-opener to maybe reevaluate or reconsider some foundational aspects to your business, especially your current business model. Now is a great time for changes and implementation within your business. Utilize this time and situation well.
I’m launching my new magic show:
Exclusive Magic for the Exclusive and Discerning Client. I perform for only one person at a time, and I have a very large sheet of transparent plastic wrap between my singular audience and myself. I am planning to post a video of this show on YouTube, and I expect it to go viral.
There have been a lot of interest, inquiries, and questions to me about how to deal with cancellation, postponements, and rescheduling due to the current Covid-19 reactions.

While I am not one to jump on the fear bandwagon or the media hype, I am one who supports my students and other performers and meets them where they are at, in their current position/situation in their business.

While there is much misinformation being dispursed about the current Corona Virus, it is important to separate "social" media and its often opinionated transmission along with once-factual information from a credible source turned into watered-down misinformation, information taken out of its original context, and of course, simply just fake news information spread on more social and opinionated medias. So like most information offered here, we must first remember to separate real, factual information from all else.

I am getting quite a few messages and requests to come on here and offer some insight and business advice as to suggest how we can deal with cancellations, postponements, rescheduled events, and other possible and potential outcomes from related bookings and business.

First, this is an issue of some foundational aspects of our business as performers. The two main things that will greatly come into play are the performance markets in which you perform and the related business models, and the terms and conditions of which you accept bookings and conduct business.

We often talk here about the topic of having a contract for your bookings. I have regularly and repeatedly said that if you perform for pay you are operating a business transaction as a business. As a business, you should have a contract (or agreement or whatever you wish to call it) to confirm and define the terms and conditions of the acceptance of the agreement BOTH for your protection as well as the clients. Not just to commit to the booking and related the payment determinations, but also for other business aspects that should be part of the agreement. This should include several things but for this post's purpose, the concern is your predetermined, predefined cancellation policy(s).

For those operating without a contract, any cancellations are likely to create a loss for you (and justifiably so) unless you have a very generous and giving customer/client. Without a contract, you are basically out of luck and will have to accept the loss without much you can do.

For other performers hopefully your contract includes guidelines for both cancellations and/or unforeseen circumstances. This will determine your position and ability for enforcement. There are several ways this can be addressed including technically being able to (depending on the exact terms of your policies) remain entitled to retain your received deposit. Your balance due may, again based on your specific terms, allow you to still be paid if THEY are canceling the event. Now let me say it is important to remember, that just because you legally may be entitled to do this, you may want to think about this and consider responding in other more understanding and sympathetic ways, such as while retaining your deposit, offering to carry the balance and agreement over to a mutually rescheduled date. To do this or at least offer an attempt to do this can be a decent way of conducting business while being mindful of the perception and professionalism in your handling of the situations.

Remember most are canceling or postponing due to suggestions or guidelines related to events with international attendees, events of over 250 expected attendance, or simply just as a precautionary measure whether due to alarm, safety or to show a perception/position of concern and safety publicly.

So my advice is to first determine how you can or are able to address this by whether or not you have a contract covering this, and by the specific terms stated within it. Next, I suggest you do not overact, panic or jump to conclusions, but rather handle this professionally with the greater picture in mind. Yes, some events are being canceled. Others are taking a wait and see position in the hopes or belief that this will be a temporary state and rescheduling will occur. Remember, most events and venues do not want to cancel because it is a sure loss to their business as well. This is why many are likely to reschedule when cleared and you may simply just transfer you currently in place agreement to the rescheduled date (I would still issue a new contract with the revised information, yet referencing the previous honored agreement.)

Remember we are viewed as professionals - in business, so this is also a customer service issue as well. People are already concerned and some even panicked, so be mindful of all of this as you are dealing with clients and customers.

I know this may sound weird, but this is (as far as business goes) an opportunity. An opportunity to demonstrate your professionalism as well as your heart and compassion. How you handle these situations can go a long way to reflect on your relationships moving forward. When the smoke clears, as it will, and normal returns, how you deal with this will continue and be remembered.

I will be happy to answer any questions related to this as well. How we respond, handle, and operate in this situation can say a lot about your business, while protecting relationships, your positioning and reputation, and your business interest in the booking.
Opportunity is right.

I have clients that during the last pandemic were so happy with how we worked with them they look for nobody BUT us as the grow. It is also an opportunity to panic with everyone, which I simply would not recommend.

If you take deposits, my suggestion is to just transfer them to new dates if they want to reschedule. If they just cancel it is then up to you to decide how to handle it. You could very well be canceling ANY work from this client in the future. MANY of these events are canceled through no fault of the client. To charge them for this is going to leave a bad taste in their mouth.

I KNOW losing work is going to affect many of us. It has me. Broadway has shut down for at least 4 weeks. Read that again. Imagine the number of performers this will affect. All you can do is roll with it.

I hope everyone gets through this. Just remember that aside from your involvement there is a TON of others such as caterers, DJ's and other things that go with a event that had to be canceled. The person will be STRESSED more perhaps than even yourself. This is a good thing to keep in mind when moving forward with your actions as to how to deal with them.
I've had about 5 or 6 cancellations in the past few days. I've been offering to apply their deposit to any gig within the next year or so, and so far they have all been very cool about that option. I suppose some will reschedule within 2-4 months, if the virus gets under control in the next several months, others will just skip this year and re-book next year. For birthdays, which is 60% of what I do, maybe next year the birthday kid won't even want me, and choose something different, but that's fine, no big whoop. I really don't want to catch it and then spread it party to party, or my family. I don't want to spread it to old people and people who have immune issues. And going into lockdown would suck.
We must remember to look at this from our customer's/client's point of view. They have booked you and usually have paid a non-refundable deposit. In their minds, they will lose the deposit, which is clearly stated (or at least should be) in your contract. So when you respond with a sympathetic, understanding position stating you will allow them to apply their deposit to another event in the next 12 months, you are presenting them with something positive, encouraging, and an opportunity not to lose their deposit paid even though their event must be canceled. This gesture can go a long way. If you couple this with seeding and harvesting you may get two or more bookings from the client as a result of this! Again, as discussed - an opportunity.

This also gets me to my next question. Up to this point most of which is being discussed is having a client or event cancel on us, the performer. What about the reverse of this - have you or are/will you cancel on a client in the name of safety or perception?
I just got my first virus cancellation; actually a postponement, today for an event scheduled for tomorrow but did cause me some work to reschedule for next week. I usually stipulate that a cancellation/postponement concerning the NR deposit can be applied to an event held within 90 days. A year, in my opinion, is too long.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2020, stempleton wrote:
I usually stipulate that a cancellation/postponement concerning the NR deposit can be applied to an event held within 90 days. A year, in my opinion, is too long. [/quote]

Again, this may be different for each performer depending on the performance markets they work and their business models. For performers who are dealing with annual events such as trade shows, a 12 month period may well be quite the norm for the next rescheduled event. It is important to think and discuss this from an industry perspective not just your own "me" perspective.

12-months is not way too long for many performers, serving many types of events in many performance markets. Yes, we must each adapt things to your own situation. However, I have seen very few contracts that have only 90-day rescheduling period/option. You may be shooting yourself in the foot for that, again depending on some of the variables and the greater picture. Also, it often isn't about "what you think, feel or like" or your opinion in business as much as it is the client's and the industry's.

Also, it depends on if you operate on a one-and-done basis or a long-term relationship basis, or a single booking basis or a multiple booking per contract basis. Again, many variables to consider.
I’m selling tickets to the general public. The tickets clearly say “no refunds” - when people ask for a refund because of this (and many are) I tell them I understand the concern and offer them a refund. I would do the same with any client.

Many of my friends and co-workers just lost their jobs overnight. In the concert touring world almost everyone is paid by the show (unless you get to the big name acts that hire a few crew members on salary.). When a tour gets cancelled, you don’t get paid.

Some performer friends had a 1 year contract just get cancelled yesterday.

So far I still have some work lined up but who knows if they will decide to cancel as well.
I have one client who is having a meeting Tuesday and another one all systems go still. April 20th week. I go to sleep, dream and wake up to this nightmare once again. Its like Bill Murray movie, same stuff day after day. A bottle of lysol selling for $114 and toilet paper is more ridiculous. Zombie apocalypse.
I spent time Thursday and Friday reaching out to booked clients proactively to share my concern that there event might be cancelled due to evolving circumstances beyond there control. In order to serve them best, I asked if they have a reschedule date in mind, in the event of cancelation. I wanted them to know that I was giving them the opportunity to reserve the date now, before it is taken. This allowed me to build a stronger relationship with my client, gain insight as to their plans (or alert them that they need to begin making such decisions), balance my future booking schedule better, and set expectations regarding use of my services.

Mindpro and Danny spoke of turning these times into opportunities and I definitely felt better about my situation after the conversations and messages I received back from those I contacted.

Many here know I consult with Mindpro on a continual basis as a student. Navigating through these times as a first year full time person is challenging. Speaking to someone who can offer advice and insights on how to create opportunity through adversity is helpful not only for the immediate situation, but for a mindset shift.
If it gets to it guys there is often relief. SBA is offering help soon.

https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-newsroom/press-releases-media-advisories/sba-provide-disaster-assistance-loans-small-businesses-impacted-coronavirus-covid-19

Don't overlook things like this.
[quote]On Mar 14, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
If it gets to it guys there is often relief. SBA is offering help soon.

https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-newsroom/press-releases-media-advisories/sba-provide-disaster-assistance-loans-small-businesses-impacted-coronavirus-covid-19

Don't overlook things like this. [/quote]

Thank you for this. I posted the link on Facebook for our development. We’ve got lots of small business owners...They were grateful to see the link.
Here in Germany all shows, theatre events and sport events have been cancelled. All theatres, movies, schools, universities are closed. A lot of flights are cancelled, public transportation is reduced. Borders are closed with few exceptions. Travelling to other countries is nearly impossible. Most European countries act identically.

It seems most to all magicians in Europe have therefore stopped performing.
Copperfield, Penn&Teller and Chris Angel have been suspended their acts until further notice...

Don
Yeah, this has a financial impact on just about everyone; not just the big guys. I'm semi-retired now, but I still do some peripheral corporate events. They've all been canceled for at least two weeks, and I doubt this is all going to blow over in two weeks. Probably half the people on this forum have a similar story. Hang in there!
The last Corporate show I did was March 9th. I walked up to my first group, did my intro, and had a lady pick a card. She asked if the cards were sanitised. I said I open a new pack each show. I took the card back. She asked if she has to touch it again. I said no. She then took out hand sanitiser and cleaned her hands. I had a great reveal so the set went great.

After that I adjusted the way I had cards selected. I had them call a card or point to one. I did ID a lot.

Hotels are closing and the casinos will be closed for 30 days starting at midnight.

I had 3 big Easter Egg hunts cancel. Schools are closed for a month here so those shows are not happening. I perform at the local NBA games and those are cancelled. I still have a few birthdays scheduled. One rescheduled for mid April. A few more are coming up and I am just waiting to see.

I was thinking of street performing, but the streets are empty. I have a good line: Will work for toilet paper, lol

ACE
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, thomasR wrote:
All broadway shows. All Disney parks and resorts. All Vegas casinos. [/quote]

In the name of accuracy this is simply not true. All Vegas casinos have not been closed. MGM closed their 10 properties, but the majority are still open as well as their shows as of today.
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, Mindpro wrote:

In the name of accuracy this is simply not true. All Vegas casinos have not been closed. MGM closed their 10 properties, but the majority are still open as well as their shows as of today. [/quote]

Wow... that’s surprising. When I saw MGM and Wynn I assumed they all closed but yeah Caesars is still open.
Yes, as are many of the independents, locally-owned, downtown, and just off the strip properties.
Yes, as are many of the independents, locally-owned, downtown, and just off the strip properties. [/quote]

We will see how long that lasts....
Its not all bad, one of the festivals I'm performing at in Texas, was forced to start at a later date and booked me for two additional days resulting in 11 rather than 9 performing days at that festival. This is great news when we were initially thinking we were going to lose money.

Then, the fair in Utah decided to up my day rate by a significant amount. It's all about how we handle these situations. These people did these things for me because even during adversity, I continue to deliver Disney quality customer service. But mostly, because I put all my trust in Jesus. He always knows what's best, better than I do.
FYI ALL Atlantic City Casinos are closed until further notice, as well as all bars and restaurants in New Jersey.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
FYI ALL Atlantic City Casinos are closed until further notice, as well as all bars and restaurants in New Jersey. [/quote]

Theaters and gyms are closed now too. Restaurants can be open as long as it is for take out or delivery. To help seniors over 60, one grocery chain in my area is opening early for 1 1/2 hours just for them since they are the most at risk right now. Not that there will be more items on the shelf, just that the crowds will be less.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am under marshal law in Hoboken. 10 PN curfew. No joke. [/quote]
You live in New Jersey? I never knew that. Sorry to hear it. LOL.
Hi everyone! Have not posted for a very long time and glad to be back!

I am a kid show performer from Manila, Philippines and yes all of our events for the month of March and early April were either cancelled or moved to another date. Some opted to refund their deposits as at the current situation we don't have any assurance as to when this pandemic will end, let's just all stay positive and for that this will be over very soon. Most communities are on lockdown and the government is asking all individuals to stay at home for self-impose quarantine. Not included are the frontliners like Doctors, nurses, and health workers. Work has also been suspended as they also impose a rule on "social distancing". Restaurant may open but only on a delivery or take home basis only.
Danny,

You posted:

[quote]
So, I guess that means signed card to mouth is not part of your act? LOL

I'm glad so many of you are freaking out over this. I can't tell you how much comedy material you are giving me.

Yesterday, I did a show in Lincoln, NE and did about 6 minutes of comedy material about people like you. The audience loved it and after the show, people said they wish there was more people like me who don't live and die by the fake news, scare tactics and instead, has fun with it. I told them, there are a LOT more people like me out there, I'm not the only one, who has common sense.

So keep on being paranoid because you are fun to laugh at. While you're hiding in your bomb shelters and rioting over toilet paper, I'm cashing checks in your name.

So how is all your comedy material going over now?[/quote]

ANSWER: My comedy material is STILL going as well as it can. I am currently using my MailChimp account as well as Youtube and Facebook to communicate with not only fans, but every current, past and future client.

I am keeping theme laughing from a distance and th response is ovrewhelingingly huge. I am getting nothing but outstanding feedback and thanks for helping them to laugh during this crazy time. As a result, I have picked up more booked dates and I raised my fees again. Signed two more contracts yesterday and while I (along with everyone else) will deal with short term set backs, I am setting my business up for a fast, huge and unprecedented rebound.

My customer service and relationships are so solid, that even during this time, I am getting referrals and signing contracts to secure future dates.

While most people are scared & wondering what they are going to do, they are missing out on a huge opportunity. Success breeds success, no matter what the current circumstances are. Adaption, creativity and planning ahead are important to continued success. The most successful companies in America find unique ways to overcome obstacles in difficult times.

One of the advantages we have as very, very, very small business owners is that we don't have to have meetings and get anyone else approval before taking action. Get an idea and take action. That's really it, in it's simplest form. I have ZERO competition because nobody, in my market can compete with me. Not because I have the best show, the greatest skill at sleight of hand or the funniest comedy, it's because I have unmatched customer services that breeds incredibly strong relationships.

AND... if I can make this work, anybody can!
A point that Mindoro made that really should be highlighted- after 9/11 things were never the same. I feel like this will be true, multiplied by a number that I’m not able to guess.

It will be different for various markets. But there will be no flipping a switch and getting back to “normal” - there will be old opportunities that are gone, and new opportunities that didn’t exist prior. But it will be different.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea Stop and Shop has early hours for 60 plus age group.

I am under marshal law in Hoboken. 10 PN curfew. No joke. [/quote]

Gee Danny, in all the years we've been talking, I never realized you were in Hoboken.
Only the past year.
Just got the hit myself. Several bookings cancelled both with schools and other private shows. Well, time to clean equipment, maintain and catalog props. The school season is over for me.
“Hilton’s been around 100 years -- we’ve never closed a hotel that wasn’t going to be demolished or rebuilding,” he said. “The bulk of our hotels in the major cities are closing as we speak.” - Hilton CEO.

The Walt Disney World Resort has never closed since 1971. Parks have closed because of hurricanes and 9/11 but the resorts have never closed.

This is not going to pretty. My only hope is that when things start back up, there will be opportunities for smaller shows / entertainment options. People won’t be able to take major trips or afford the high priced tickets.
[quote]My only hope is that when things start back up, there will be opportunities for smaller shows / entertainment options[/quote] This is going to be an economic hit for everyone. After it's over, people may be making choices for needs over pleasure and entertainment. It's going to be a long haul I think.
I've had three shows canceled so far. Did actually pick up a last minute birthday show last Saturday because of virus, if you can believe. Was for a 23 year old girl and her college friends. They couldn't go out to a bar or dancing so they hired me to come in and it went very well. But am very worried about cancellations and the phone and emails have stopped also. Hard to refund deposits when nothing is coming in.
I am going to go ahead and doubt that the huge percentage of entertainment is affected by this worldwide. We can all pose as if this is not costing us work. Nobody buys it. I have heard from entertainers on almost every continent who are being crippled financially by this. In New York/New Jersey it has shut down so much more than just entertainers.

I know bigger companies are hoping for a short turn around on the panic. Travel companies are devastated, airlines are feeling it HUGE. We may not panic personally, but that does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I know of at least one restaurant that literally just opened a couple weeks ago. Clothing stores are shut down, hair styling places, dry cleaners, and on and on. All businesses that can not really sustain a long 3 month run of this.

I hope everyone has business interruption insurance. If not, it may not be a bad thing to look into.

In the name of accuracy this is simply not true. All Vegas casinos have not been closed. MGM closed their 10 properties, but the majority are still open as well as their shows as of today. [/quote]

And NOW it’s true. Call it.... a prediction! And scratch “Vegas” and insert “Nevada”
And Atlantic City.

I still am not smart enough to understand, shoo I Judy file doctor's and what people who are smart say.
Exactly. And Nevada is not in lockdown, lol.
[quote]On Mar 18, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Exactly. And Nevada is not in lockdown, lol. [/quote]

I didn’t say it was but all casinos and bars are ordered to close.
My biggest event of the year is rescheduling for August. That's better news than I had hoped, I had guessed it would be completely cancelled.

That was the first positive e-mail I've gotten for a few days!
This is a trying hour for a lot of us. I'm slated to make only $500 this whole month of March and $0 in April.
Just got 3 events in the first week of May cancelled flat out too.
Welp. More day drinking and spending time with my baby daughter at home (those 2 statements go well together right?) :goof: :goof: :goof:
So a number of performers are saying that they have had cancellations.
Anyone working the streets?
I know that most are not
But Street Performers are creative people, just wanted to get your thoughts.
We�re all doing the best we can.
Nickoli
Message: Posted by: Illusionsfortheblind2 (Mar 18, 2020 03:27PM)
Only thing holding me back is rain.

Huntington Beach pier still has people.

No volunteers, keeping my edge socially distant. No examining not props, just visual effects, no card to mouth.

Also practicing social distance when hatting.

Very important, don't collect money with the hat you will wear on your head, viruses can travel from head to face.

My show is shorter, I'm making no attempt to crowd build or tighten my edge.
Another one bites the dust. Another day, another refund. Think I will put off my bank trips for cashier checks until later this week. I am down to one event in April now. Uncertainty abounds in the corporate market. How big of an impact will this be? Anyone's guess.

I am hoping this entire year is not a wash but how in the heck can the economy sustain entertainers when people are going to be looking for work?

Decomposing Work :exercise:
I just have a feeling this thing is going to get really, really ugly. It's already ugly, but I feel this is just the beginning.

A friend of mine owns a company that caters to the entertainment industry. He just had huge multiple orders cancel. I don't the specifics, but even if he was able to keep his 25-50% deposits, that's still won't carry him through this thing. If things get better in a few months, yes. However, he told me if this goes into summer or beyond, and that's why some of the newspaper stories are saying, it will absolutely bankrupt him. He just let a few of his workers go yesterday. I'm sure others RIFs will follow the longer this thing continues.

It's not pretty.

Gerry
Boy Gerry. That stinks. I had one company ask for a refund never mentioning the no refund policy. Not even a "I know the contact says no refunds but." Then their email bounced so they contacted the booking company thinking I was scamming.

I guess companies are seeing the losses already and forecasting for the future. If this turns out to be all hype, it will be trillions of dollars loss for it.

Where are those test kits again?
Mindpro,

Given how things are changing so rapidly, what are your current thoughts about the Corona situation and the magic entertainment field at this point in time? Do you foresee social distancing / small crowd efforts continuing until spring, late summer or beyond that? I mean it's anybody's guess, but you may have a better sense of things since you're heavily involved in the entertainment field.

I just saw that the Easter Egg Roll on the grounds of the White House was just cancelled.

Yesterday I lost my first booking.

My entire office was just told that we can work from home and be prepared to do so for an indefinite period of time. I stopped at the local 7-11 store by my work and the owner told me how much business had dropped off since most people are now working from home.

Gerry
[quote]On Mar 19, 2020, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Mindpro,

Given how things are changing so rapidly, what are your current thoughts about the Corona situation and the magic entertainment field at this point in time? Do you foresee social distancing / small crowd efforts continuing until spring, late summer or beyond that? I mean it's anybody's guess, but you may have a better sense of things since you're heavily involved in the entertainment field.

I just saw that the Easter Egg Roll on the grounds of the White House was just cancelled.

Yesterday I lost my first booking.

My entire office was just told that we can work from home and be prepared to do so for an indefinite period of time. I stopped at the local 7-11 store by my work and the owner told me how much business had dropped off since most people are now working from home.

Gerry [/quote]

Hey Gerry, thanks for the post. I hope you and everyone here in Tricky Business are remaining open-minded and trying to hang in there the best they can, and most of all - don't panic, freakout or overreact.

Yes, I have been staying up o this on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. We are in unchartered territory here so that makes it very interesting in many ways.

First, to address your questions, let me say that I often talk about how I operate from an industry perspective not a "me" or individual" perspective, and the differences of an industry-based operation vs. a me-based operation. My background as an enetrtainer, agent, talent broker, producer, promoter, press and media specialist, and of course coach and consultant allows me access to much more than a typical performer, especially operating from the industry perspective as I do. Because of all of these areas I am/have been on advisory boards, association board, committees, and management teams that allows me access to insight and information that is of course very useful in by entertainment businesses.

My current thoughts are since this is directly affecting most magician's/performer's livelihood, and since most of these operate on a gig to gig business model, they are concerned/panicking, freaking out the most. Their businesses are based solely on them performing. If they can't perform they aren't producing income or providing for themselves and their families. Most have little savings or nest egg in the bank or business for such situations and therefore will be most affected.

I have believed initially that this would last 6 to maybe 8 weeks or less. This would be a punch in the stomach to most, that while hurtful to devastating, would be something that would sting but we could bounce back from, much like the weeks, months after 9/11. At first, it was complete shutdown, then after a few weeks slowly things started the rebound process. That's what I saw here.

Much of this is happening on a state level with each state responding their own way. Now many are looking for the Federal government to step in for aide and assistance. This will result in more uniformity but also greater measures and likely increased panic. This wave needs to pass as it is what dominates the media, fuels social media, creates the panic, spreads misinformation, and prevents people from looking at this rationally and more importantly beyond the wave.

Since we are all complying with staying in and not being in or creating evets or places with gatherings, this is the first area we need to overcome. All of this is creating a new temporary normal that the response is the panic, resistance, and freaking out. When people panic or freak out they are not thinking or operating with a clear mind and objective.

I don't feel this initial mode we are in will last that long. Yes, this will likely take us into Spring and into May or June but we will see some aspects of normality coming back during this time as well. The more people comply, the better the chances of this ending more quickly.

We are all taking it week by week and watching it closely.

I see the social distancing being around for March, April and as I say maybe into May for now. I think we may be able to still salvage some Spring and Early Summer bookings. That is what I see at this time, but, of course, it can all change. Many April and May events are still waiting to see before making a call to cancel, suspend or postpone.

The great things I am seeing are that less than 10% of bookings and events (of course depending on the performance markets you work) are suspending or postponing their bookings, not actually canceling resulting in a loss. Now if you work restaurants, nightclubs, Easter events, etc. these will not reschedule and will be a loss. However many things from proms, graduations, festivals, many corporate or association events, etc. are all looking at rescheduling which can result in delayed income rather than loss of income.

I think there will be a strong interest in our services on the other side of this fro certain markets which I can very optimistic and excited about. Unlike 9/11 where people were hesitant, grieving, and devastated, this will be more inviting. People may be hurt financially which means they may be staying closer to home and seeking entertainment and events nearby. Fairs and fests could have a great season if this doesn't go beyond June because of this.

If you serve markets that need or require entertainment I think the bounceback will be decent and consistent. We may have a wave of a few months where we must maintain what we already have on the books while trying to accommodate the rescheduled events in order to not lose that income, so we could actually be busy in some areas following this intrusion in everyone's lives.

I still think it will not be long-lasting or devastating if we can come out of this by or in June. Now if we go beyond that, we reach a point that we may not be able to recover from as quickly and there will likely become a new norm once in the aftermath. I am hoping it doesn't get to this point. This is what many in the industry is most concerned about. How we act and react now may very well determine that.

This will be most costly to producers and promoters, more than entertainers or talent.

The Easter Egg Roll was canceled primarily for a show of demonstration of the President and government adhering to the guidelines it has been presenting. Let's face it Trump was never big into this traditional event in the first place, so it worked out fine. Performers there are not paid, so there is no real loss, but it can set a precedence we must be concerned with.

I have had a couple of tours cancel because they were in this immediate period of the next 4-6 weeks. I, at this point, personally have only had one booking cancel (two shows) though I expect more over the next week or two, but again, most of these I expect will reschedule.

The longer this goes on the greater hit it will have on the economy. This is why there is such a concern and push to have this end in/by May or June.

Oddly enough a couple of things can happen here most wouldn't suspect. For example, I have had a surge in performers coming to me for coaching and consulting in just the last 9 days, most just this week. They want to know how to navigate this and more so prevent themselves from being in this unsuspecting position again in the future. They want to reevaluate their current business models and performance markets.

However, the other thing I find interesting is as more people are being told to work at/from home, and many are being laid off or let go, combined with the interest in the self-controlled gig economy, there seems to be an influx of interest in people inquiring about jobs and opportunities in live entertainment, lol. So there could very easily be a bandwagon of newcomers entering magic and related possibilities in the near aftermath which is interesting. Our curb-appeal seems bright and shinny to laypeople, junior or young wantrepreneurs, or those that think it could be a fun opportunity in the gig economy.

You said "be prepared to do so for an indefinite period of time" and that is what I think is the mindset we should all have. This may be a few weeks, or a few months, but we should look at this as at least a 3-month concern for now. During this time I strongly suggest getting to those thigs that need attention in your business. Formulate your game plan on return to the other side of this. Work on your business during this time. Do not let it paralyze you. Operate in anticipation, not from current or temporary fears. Reevaluate your business model and markets. Maybe it's time to update your show or offerings, promotional materials, and marketing/promotional campaigns preparing for the aftermath or other side of this. Does your positioning need to change? Learn or research how your individual markets may be affected. For example, the cruise industry will take a hit and become very generous and proactive in trying to rebound. The school market is considering coming back in session through the summer, and taking this time off as their summer break and resuming through the summer months to make up for it in some areas.

So far very few people are asking for refunds and are remaining optimistic. I believe the next 7-10 days will be significant to watch and the next 30 day period will be defining.

We must get beyond this first hurdle of businesses being closed and avoiding social gatherings of more than 8-10 people. That is the first step toward forward movement for us. We can even begin to think about operating while this period is in effect.

It seems my full-time job this week has been in meetings and discussions with these boards, committees, advisors, about the current assessment and progression moving forward. While I hate what is happening, I am excited about the possibilities as we move forward. I just am hoping it will not last longer than May/June, which some of it or the effects will, but we're hoping the summer is still salvageable for all of us.

I will keep you posited on what I learn, discover or think moving forward.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
The great things I am seeing are that less than 10% of bookings and events (of course depending on the performance markets you work) are suspending or postponing their bookings, not actually canceling resulting in a loss. [/quote]

Let me correct and clarify this: The great things I am seeing are less than 10% of bookings and events are canceling resulting in a loss. Most are suspending or postponing their bookings.
Mindpro,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

Gerry
It is market dependent. I go back to work as soon as things settle down. No real hassle.

BUT if it is a birthday party market or some such specific event then it is most likely a loss. That is a huge problem and I feel for the one night show guys.

I was going to be off for a few weeks in the start of April, so this hit me a couple weeks early. Still a loss no doubt.

But the guys with events tied to specific dates are going to feel the pain. If you are in a market where discretionary income is used to fuel the show then yea you may feel the pain. As we are at the start of this nobody knows what reaction will be given for how we come out of this. I feel for the after prom guys who make SO much of the nut for the year off of the next 2 months. I am going to go ahead and doubt much of that market will recover in time for this year to be profitable.

If I can help send me a PM. I'll be happy to do what I can to give advice.
Yeah, I agree. I too had a two of the next 4 weeks off or light due to spring breaks
All California business closed except essential services will hurt all performers,especially magicians,a marginalized group already.the order is to last a month...
I haven't really had any events completely CANCEL at this point or ask for refunds, but have had them postpone or suspend (like my comedy clubs and other public show bookings). Just received payment yesterday for a large corporate event scheduled for January 2021. This gave me the idea of making a bit of a push through my email lists, direct mail lists, social media, etc., to get people who are already putting off events until next year as a result of this to start booking now because "that's what so many are doing"...not sure whether that will work or not but tossing that idea around somewhat to at least possibly continue to generate some cash flow.

Like so many others, this is my living so I'm trying to come up with creative ways to stay "top-of-mind" with clients and the public in general (without annoying everyone) and for a number of reasons; among them so that when things bounce back I'm still in the midst of things. Plus it helps keep me fresh. I just spoke with a local TV news station this morning where I live (and have appeared many times) to conduct a live Skype interview next week to talk about how the situation has affected performing artists and perform an interactive trick or two with them while on the live stream. They're unable to have in-studio visitors and are constantly looking for good content and having to adjust things considerably on their end as well. The better I can help them do this the better my relationship is with them and we both win as a result.

I believe looking for ways to give and help right now--as opposed to seeing what we can get--is essential. Even when we feel we don't have much or anything to give. It isn't easy. So the gigs may be dropping off now; they are for everyone. Digging deeper and developing relationships more is the best way I know to keep things moving and assure those bookings and clients will be there as things begin to rebound.
Well said, Curt! I agree as all week I have been working with my coaching students and consulting clients (entertainment venues, and performers) and those that purchased my Press & Media For Entertainers book discussing how they can use press and media during this time to their advantage, while still staying in front of them and in the public eye.

The media is looking for related angles to this whole COVIS-19 story, how it is affecting locals and local businesses and how people are dealing with it. This again is one of those opportunities I've been speaking of.

The media has been very receptive this week as they too are looking for HI angles rather than just hard news reporting and updates which cab become quite heavy, boring and tedious. Some are doing in-studio, but many are doing online interviews as you mentioned. I think this is also a way for us as performers to offer options to our audience and the public about how to view our services and laying the groundwork for the aftermath or other side of this wave.

Many of those that have taken my fundraising coaching are doing the same right now combining it with press and media and getting great interest and results.

Keep on making lemonade and as you said digging deeper.

Glad to hear you are being proactive
“The thing is, it’s very detrimental to my business not being able to do shows” - Piff the Magic Dragon.

Hey if you’ve got nothing else to do go listen to piff and / or Penns podcasts. I’ve been having some podcast marathons lately!
Been away for a little bit. Watching Corona TV is not helping my confidence. I did hear one radio program I listen to otw to my first responder job tonight. He had an interesting take concerning all of this. Which is worse, the deaths from this virus or the collapse of the economy? Tonight I heard Larry Kudlow on tv whom I respect state we can bounce back if this does not drag on too long. What is too long? We got a lot of people out of work and where I am located, it seems like a ghost town. People are truly panicking and CNN and FOX ratings are through the roof. Those two networks are truly doing well but the commercials that air are all about life before the virus. Sort of an odd paradox.

Anyway, rambling here but the point is we still do not know how all these shutdowns will affect the spread until all is said and done. Will it kill more people in the USA then the regular flu? Well so far, it does not seem it will but the curve is still going up. Once it flattens, I guess we will know a lot more.

My last gig had to postpone for now so I am gigless. The one before I had to refund the deposit and since it is attached to the restaurant industry I assume that one will never surface (all loosing big time here). Some good points surfacing here and I am glad to see its not all gloom and doom for the entertainment industry. We all will survive. I just hope its sooner then later.
It is very difficult to plan when there is nothing but a lot of unknowns.

I do think that local entertainers can offer a cheaper alternative for entertainment when things start to open up. People with kids will want to do something fun but many won’t be able to afford higher priced theme parks, tourist attractions, etc. right away.
Yea those are the markets I spent my whole life staying away from. Not for this reason, but it is ANOTHER reason for certain.

People will end up going back to resorts, they will go to Broadway, they will go to theater shows. It remains to be seen how many how quickly but it won't be long before it is back to what it once was.

The gig to gig one night stuff is not an easy way to do this. Now more than ever it is going to be really hard to get that sort of thing back.
How many of y'all are already getting Summer Reading shows cancelled?
None as of yet.
What is a Summer Reading Show?
Libraries.

I haven't had any summer events postpone or cancel yet.
Now you are 52. I am only 35 I just sound over 50. I say something nice and get battered.

No depression here. I started this thread and no one had any cancellations. Nothing is going to happen, etc etc.

Then the bottom falls out. If anyone does not think it is not well lets look at this everyday business as usual:

All sporting events including 800 million dollar NCAA tourney cancelled
Airlines shut down
Schools Closed
Entertainment aside from TV and Social media is gone
No Movies
Restaurants closed.

I could go on and on but lets just say if an Asteroid hit this planet, I would feel more optimistic about the economy.

Will I work again? Of course. I am an entertainer and speaker. I can get gigs, that will not be a problem. Am I frustrated?
Yup. If that is depressive, so be it.

Oh btw, 10000 new cases here in 24 hours. But a drug for malaria is working and this should be over in about 2 weeks.

That is optimistic but I am not optimistic about the amount of damage this has caused. Once President Biden takes over in January, the economy will spike as he rebuilds all that is lost.

Decomposing trillions of dollars in debt

PS: Up all night and now got to see if I can pass as a senior to get in the line at Walmart with seniors so I can get in to buy essential items before all is gone again. Yes, business as usual. Waiting in lines to shop for groceries is not a bad way to spend a day. :dance:
[quote]On Mar 24, 2020, Decomposed wrote:
It appears only two more weeks of lockdown in USA. Watched news conference few hours ago. Then hopefully business will open back up starting a recovery.

Danny you and other older folks probably will be advised to stay at home, I don't know for sure. Like you said, regular flu kills more, I agree. Doctors are the ones saying this is more contagious and more deadly. [/quote]

I watched the same news report. The numbers haven't gone down so I'm not sure how they can make a decision to send everyone back to work. If stay at home was having a marked effect, I could understand. The only downside of stay at home for me is I'm out of work and have been since January so there are no job interviews being scheduled.
I just received new bookings for May 17th and August 8th. I still have bookings on April 11th & the 14th that have not cancelled yet.

I sense an optimism out there. People are willing to do what is necessary for a time, but at some point we need to get on with our lives, even if there is some risk involved.
I agree. People are in a temporary state of mind. They know this will not last long and that they should be looking at things on the other side of this.

As I have said this current state will not last longer than 3 or 4 weeks. The effects will last a while longer, but many we talk to as well are planning and booking still for June, July, and August. It is not as dire as many reactors are making it seem. At least not as of yet.

We've received 6 bookings for far this week. Many people are calling for reassurance, asking questions, looking for professional suggestions, insights, and possibilities, and how to get things back on track as soon as possible. We have had no actual cancellations, mostly just a handful of postponements and reschedulings, even though dates have not been determined yet for some of these.

We are not experiencing anyone freaking out, over-reacting, or being angry or pessimistic, most are encouraged and looking forward to getting things back on track and back to normal (or a new normal). Many are upset for having to postpone and reschedule and are both appreciative and thankful for our being so accommodating and helpful while reassuring them that we will be there on the other side of all of this for them.
All my magic + speaking engagement are postponed/cancelled until June.
Many event planners and suppliers in the event industry are put on furlough. Many more also told me they are busier than ever as they are working overtime trying to reschedule all their events and working through a mountain of logistics.

As for me, welp, going to dedicate the next few months making more social media videos like these.
[youtube]NFs28S-M-DU[/youtube]
I figure now is the best time to put out positive content on the internet to keep past clients engaged and potentially attract some new eyeballs.
Gotta stay on top of people's minds even though most people are scrambling with cancellation/rescheduling.
And hey, I get to take a 3 months vacation with my baby girl; I don't think I've had 3 months 'off' since college summer vacation lol :dancing:
Can I derail this for just a bit to say you have a beautiful baby girl?!

Too often you have to lie to people when you say it. In this case it is 100% the truth!

Congrats on that sir.
[quote]On Mar 24, 2020, Nash wrote:
All my magic + speaking engagement are postponed/cancelled until June.
Many event planners and suppliers in the event industry are put on furlough. Many more also told me they are busier than ever as they are working overtime trying to reschedule all their events and working through a mountain of logistics.

As for me, welp, going to dedicate the next few months making more social media videos like these.
[youtube]NFs28S-M-DU[/youtube]
I figure now is the best time to put out positive content on the internet to keep past clients engaged and potentially attract some new eyeballs.
Gotta stay on top of people's minds even though most people are scrambling with cancellation/rescheduling.
And hey, I get to take a 3 months vacation with my baby girl; I don't think I've had 3 months 'off' since college summer vacation lol :dancing: [/quote]

Nice looking daughter you got there. You got it right.
There's a great article in the Wall Street Journal today whereby they say that the fall season is going to be jammed packed with delayed events due to COVID-19. They're basically saying it could be one of the busiest seasons ever.

Gerry
Its going to be great! I will be turning down jobs left and right.
I have seen a report that thinks New Jersey will hit the peak of cases about the same time as New York in 2-3 weeks.

The whale watching industry is taking a HUGE HIT. Many fishing boat owners make 80% of their money Memorial Day to Labor Day. Hopefully they get by.

I only post that as a comparison to some guys I know in the post prom market. I know guys with 80% of their year coming from post proms. I have seen many cancellations for proms here in New Jersey.

These are shows that will not likely be postponed, but flat out canceled. Being as that season is upon us quickly, I wonder if we can come up with something for them? I haven't worked one in 25 years so the market is foreign to me but is there some way to get them through?
Well ***...if we're going to stick to the topic, I'll have to put down the popcorn and browse in other rooms...
6) The president said all restrictions lifted by Easter.
[/quote]

If you believe that Trump said all restrictions will be lifted by Easter, please quote him (verbatim).
[quote]On Mar 23, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

The gig to gig one night stuff is not an easy way to do this. Now more than ever it is going to be really hard to get that sort of thing back. [/quote]

I don't understand what the alternative to "gig-to-gig one night stuff" could possibly be.
Gig-to-gig sounds like every gig I've ever done: holiday parties, client appreciation events, wedding receptions, trade shows.

What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it?
A touring act? A weekly theater show?
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote: What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it? A touring act? A weekly theater show? [/quote]

I'm pretty sure he's talking about performing in areas that are entertainment destinations. Resorts, theme-parks, etc.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote:
6) The president said all restrictions lifted by Easter.
[/quote]

If you believe that Trump said all restrictions will be lifted by Easter, please quote him (verbatim). [/quote]

I remember I lot of "hope" and "we will see if we can" going on myself.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote:
[quote]On Mar 23, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

The gig to gig one night stuff is not an easy way to do this. Now more than ever it is going to be really hard to get that sort of thing back. [/quote]

I don't understand what the alternative to "gig-to-gig one night stuff" could possibly be.
Gig-to-gig sounds like every gig I've ever done: holiday parties, client appreciation events, wedding receptions, trade shows.

What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it?
A touring act? A weekly theater show? [/quote]

Yes. Touring acts and nightly theater shows, resorts, comedy clubs and such.

I have based by life around long term contracts, not nightly stuff. I found out quite early it takes about the same amount of time to negotiate a long term deal as it does to negotiate a few one night gigs and then you don't have to do it again for 10 years!

Comedy clubs USED to be great because you could work the same ones twice a year and just keep going back every year. I have been out of that game for so long I don't know how it works now.

The DISADVANTAGE to doing what I propose is having to be willing to move to where the work actually is. For example moving from Chicago, to Key Largo, to Branson to Las Vegas, to New Jersey all within 15 or so years is a disadvantage. (Not to mention Playa del Carmen Mexico.) Interesting that success or failure are each reasons to move!

I don't know the name for it. I don't know what others call it. I call it working.
I have talked about this here for years. It is what I call the "default business model" that 98% of all magicians still operate from. This is how most start by picking up a booking or two, then keep seeking their next booking. It is how most start and by default is how most continue to operate. Unfortunately most never are aware of or learn about the many other business models available to performers and entertainers, so they just keep doing what they've always done - staying on the hamster wheel working gig-to-gig, bookings over and over again, 20, 30 and 40 years later these guys and gals are still doing the same thing with ups and downs, peaks and valleys, and often struggling to survive, pay their bills, have little to no savings, and are so dependent on many outside factors. These are those that are being hit the hardest and will have to start virtually from scratch once this is over.

This business model is fine when getting started or for part-timers, but quite limiting and not in their control or favor in many scenarios.

The other business models such as the one Danny and Curt mentioned are what many stop of their field professionals prefer as there are many advantages to it. These people are likely to bounce back much quicker and easily from this COVID-19 setback.

This model is different from touring acts, 2/4 walls, while it may appear similar at a glance.

This is also why magicians have trouble understanding how some others have such huge pricing and incomes, while they may be struggling to break the $500 or $1,500 price point. It is most often because of a different business model.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread now is a great time to reexamine and reevaluate your current business model, and this is a great reason why.
Guys, you may have noticed that quite a few posts in this forum have vanished. Just to clarify, the topic was started to discuss cancellations, rebookings and such and not to discuss current numbers or speculations on the virus in general. For that reason, many of the posts have been moved to a new topic "Corona Virus Outlook" in this forum. This was a big effort on our part so please choose the correct topic before making your post. Limit this one to cancellation information and the new topic for general virus conversations. Thanks

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=710938&forum=44
Hey Dave, just a quick thanks for all of this and all you are doing. I know this whole Coronavirus, the speculation, the information the progression of information (and misinformation), member's reactions and interpretations, and all is creating much additional work for you, so I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts to keep this still busiess-related and on-track. Much appreciated.
For me.... I’ve got all events trying to reschedule to August and september to the point that I’m having to choose which events to do and not. That sounds like a good problem to have but of course I was originally going to have ALL of those events plus new events.

It’s also a challenge because I wonder if all of these events will actually happen... so much has changed so quickly I’m not sure if large events will actually be taking place in August or not.

Honestly... it’s hard for me mentally to look at calendar with all of the “what if’s”
I think that is an issue many are going to have to deal with. I know some have larger multi-day events that they want to accommodate but in doing so how many smaller or single events will they have to forego? What can be salvageable? What is priority? Can we make ourselves be in two places at one time? Then still, as you say, all the what ifs?
Thanks for the sweet remarks for my baby girl y'all :) She pretty much keeps me sane during this lockdown (and of course, insane sometimes haha)

This morning a 10+ yrs repeat client of mine just cancelled their mid-June annual convention, yet another gig cancelled on my calendar (YIKES) and now I have no confirmed gigs until July (Double YIKES!)
My main concern after talking to my clients is how much stress they are put under right now. Wondering when we should do sales outreach again because of the sensitivity of this current moment. Or maybe I'm overthinking it? What y'all think gang?

One thing that hasn't changed is still the question of "how can we provide values for our clients", only now we have to do it remotely.
Couple friends of mine started offering Live Stream Magic Shows. Absolutely loved their creativity and entrepreneur spirit !
Curious to see if anyone had started this avenue and what's the initial response from clients?
I'm tempted to start creating one if things continue to get worse next month :dizzy:

But as of now, I assume this is a fantastic time for those who specialize in the children entertainment market to add value to their clients?
Right now tons of parents are stuck working from home with their kids and are dying to find entertainment for them.
Some teachers/parents friends of mine and previous private event clients had already asked if I do live stream shows...
Since I don't do kids shows, I had debated if I should have done this yesterday
[youtube]ZNaTFW09lek[/youtube]
I know I'm not a strong kids performer and had no idea if the video even appealed to kids or not lol.

So far I've only shared this privately with my teachers friends and they loved it.
Part of me want to eblast this to all my previous clients since most of them either have kids or know people with kids who can 'maybe' benefit from this? I'm debating if I should since my target market is in the corp./college./speaking. world. ; not sure if this video will send a mixed-signal to my overall branding? I dunno. Guess we'll see. :crazydude:

What are some of the things y'all been doing that focuses on bringing value to your clients during this time gang?
Love to hear your ideas guys. Stay safe everyone :drinkup:
I would think the last thing you want to show them is it can be done without you there. Just sayin.

I think one thing that can be a benefit to this that many miss is "how can I miss you if you won't go away" type of thing. I get the whole thing about being top of mind and all that. Great. BUT if you are constantly there you are not all that special when you show up, and to my way of thinking worth less than if you are there only at some times.

I mean do you really fear a 10 year client forgetting you when they want to see magic?

It is basic economics. The more of something there is, the less valuable it is. Your time is a commodity. I think it should be treated as one. Make them remember you from the work you do, not the emails you send to keep up with them. Not the live streaming magic shows for free or what not.

At least that is the way I approach it. I hope it works for you.
I know that I’ve been enjoying various live streams during this time. Improv Comedians, several singer songwriters (watched Dave Matthews this week!) and magic wise Matt Franco. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for everyone, just that I’ve personally enjoyed watching them. I know I said “oh I need to see Matt Franco again next time I’m in Vegas.” After seeing his online show. So it maybe sold him 1 ticket for sure! Ha.
Yeah there seems there is a market for live streams Thomas. It is a different way of entertaining and marketing, heck it may just be here to stay who knows? I mean in adjacent to live entertainment. I know the live mentalism summit was fantastic.

The economy will be back to somewhat normal and some folks may like being home after getting use to it.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Decomposed wrote:
Its going to be great! I will be turning down jobs left and right. [/quote]

I got a call from a wedding planner. She thought I was a "musician". She said that couples are rescheduling their weddings, and almost every musician is already booked at other weddings. Once she found out I was a magician she did not seem interested in talking to me. I told her I perform magic at wedding receptions, etc. She was looking specifically for musicians to fill in.
This just goes to show the demand is already there. It will be there for magicians also.

ACE :dance:
I agree. We've been getting calls for festivals, concert series, weddings, and some schools all working on reschedulings as well. I still belive it will bounce back strong for most performers.
[quote]On Mar 30, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Decomposed wrote:
Its going to be great! I will be turning down jobs left and right. [/quote]

I got a call from a wedding planner. She thought I was a "musician". She said that couples are rescheduling their weddings, and almost every musician is already booked at other weddings. Once she found out I was a magician she did not seem interested in talking to me. I told her I perform magic at wedding receptions, etc. She was looking specifically for musicians to fill in.
This just goes to show the demand is already there. It will be there for magicians also.

ACE :dance: [/quote]

Very encouraging!
I just got this in an email. I really like the concept. Be sure to read all the way through to see the rules. I signed up to only do juggling from a distance. I think it is worth a try.

I'm sure there will be a lot of pros and cons. But if it is safe, it will get me out of the house and in front of people. That is always a good thing.

https://www.nolafamily.com/birthday-parade-volunteer-callout-and-information/

I also just got a call from the New York Party Co. for a July show at a local school. Not sure they will get me as I charge more than anyone else around here.

ACE

:clownjuggling:
That is good Ace.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
I just got this in an email. I really like the concept. Be sure to read all the way through to see the rules. I signed up to only do juggling from a distance. I think it is worth a try.

I'm sure there will be a lot of pros and cons. But if it is safe, it will get me out of the house and in front of people. That is always a good thing.

I also just got a call from the New York Party Co. for a July show at a local school. Not sure they will get me as I charge more than anyone else around here.

ACE

:clownjuggling: [/quote]

This is what they sent to parents: https://www.nolafamily.com/let-us-give-you-a-birthday-parade/

Ace:
Okay, how about some good news!

Yesterday I just got two bookings for May 17th! One was originally booked for April, and one was a completely new booking! My first new booking in over 3 weeks. Both are birthday parties that include face painting, which is literally an 'in your face' type of entertainment.

I'm not sure if this is overconfidence on the part of the client but I'll take it as a sign of good things to come.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:

Yesterday I just got two bookings for May 17th! One was originally booked for April, and one was a completely new booking! My first new booking in over 3 weeks. Both are birthday parties that include face painting, which is literally an 'in your face' type of entertainment.

I'm not sure if this is overconfidence on the part of the client but I'll take it as a sign of good things to come. [/quote]

I am happy for you Ken! That is great news! I saw two job leads come through today also. Of course zillions jump on the leads, but doesn't matter. I just want hope. We are nearing the end of this mess. The worse is right now for a few weeks while this peaks. Once we are on the way down, I think people being sheltered will be one big party that will last years!
I have heard some of the bigger companies we work with who are thinking June. Seems optimistic to me. Again not the disease that is scary it is the reaction that is scary to me.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, Acecardician wrote:

ACE

This is what they sent to parents: https://www.nolafamily.com/let-us-give-you-a-birthday-parade/

Ace:

This was the first parade for NOLA Family Magazine(I was not there):

https://www.facebook.com/nolafamilymag/videos/woohoo-we-threw-our-first-birthday-parade-tonight-we-were-so-delighted-to-celebr/911682815963499/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

I volunteered for 4. Of those 4 new contacts, one does a big event each year and wants to talk to me about it later on! I called 2 clients that had to cancel for this week end and offered them the same deal. They loved it! One of MY clients wants my venmo. I told him it is no cost but he is insisting. I will be at each location about 5-10 minutes. So far I am doing these solo, but have invited some people I know to meet me. I'm doing 2 Friday, 2 Sat., and 2 Monday, all midday back to back. I picked locations 5-10 minutes from me. So I should not be gone more than an hour a day.

ACE
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:

Yesterday I just got two bookings for May 17th! One was originally booked for April, and one was a completely new booking! [/quote]

That's great news Ken. I just booked 2 shows yesterday and one this morning - two rescheduled and one new for May and June. We received many calls this week as I think people are at home looking forward to making choices and actions on the other side of this.

One thing I have heard from most is they are concerned that many people will be rescheduling or booking and are concerned their dates of interest may not be available if they wait too long to contact us.

You're right it has a good feeling and is good news.
More good news. "New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Begins Rebooking Events Cancelled by Coronavirus Crisis"

https://kadn.com/new-orleans-ernest-n-morial-convention-center-begins-rebooking-events-cancelled-by-coronavirus-crisis/
[quote]On Apr 4, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
More good news. "New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Begins Rebooking Events Cancelled by Coronavirus Crisis"

https://kadn.com/new-orleans-ernest-n-morial-convention-center-begins-rebooking-events-cancelled-by-coronavirus-crisis/ [/quote]

I’m not trying to take any water from your glass that’s half full but I wouldn’t think a convention center that is currently being converted into a medical center with no end date on the calendar is “good news” - I’m guessing some of those events rescheduled for 2021.

As a side note... are you in New Orleans area? I notice on your photo the riverboat gambler and wondering if you ever work on the Natchez!?
[quote]On Apr 4, 2020, thomasR wrote:

https://kadn.com/new-orleans-ernest-n-morial-convention-center-begins-rebooking-events-cancelled-by-coronavirus-crisis/ [/quote]

I’m not trying to take any water from your glass that’s half full but I wouldn’t think a convention center that is currently being converted into a medical center with no end date on the calendar is “good news” - I’m guessing some of those events rescheduled for 2021.

As a side note... are you in New Orleans area? I notice on your photo the riverboat gambler and wondering if you ever work on the Natchez!? [/quote]

It recovered from Katrina. They let people shelter there and the people trashed it bad. They remodeled and it came back bigger and stronger than ever.

Yes, I've been performing on all the riverboats in New Orleans since the early 80's.

ACE
I remember doing lighting for a show at house of blues shortly after Katrina. The show was sold out... so yes even after a disaster shows will happen.

But how long after Katrina until the convention center reopened?

I’m very jealous of you! Getting to perform magic on the Natchez... wow.
Thanks Thomas. Great encouragement and anything can happen after all this is done with. Its not a game over in the least. The one thing we learn from history is what we don't learn from history.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have heard some of the bigger companies we work with who are thinking June. Seems optimistic to me. Again not the disease that is scary it is the reaction that is scary to me. [/quote]

I’ve been hearing some of the same and agree.
Katrina was kind of a blur. I received self employed unemployment and a small business loan. I remember we were gone about a month. I made lots and lots of phone calls checking on people. When I got back, I was working non stop. A lot of businesses were doing Re-Grand Openings and welcome back parties.

Curbside birthday greetings:

https://vimeo.com/404367087
Since the vaccine is a non issue this year, once the cases go down and Covid 19 is a blur, I think the large gatherings will be held. No way the lucrative sports world will not resume this year. Treatment and a dramatic decrease in cases is the key.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only and any financial planning based on same is not suggested.
Agreed
Penn was a guest on the Piff online show this week and he wasn’t very hopeful.

“I don’t think colleges will start up in the fall, I don’t think any sports will start up in the fall, I think the danger of lawsuits is too great. We just have to watch colleges and sports cause those are the people with the big money who are in the gathering people business. So I don’t think people are going to go hundreds at a time into a room to see a magic dragon until there is a vaccine.”

Let’s hope he’s wrong...
I think he is.
[quote]On Apr 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think he is. [/quote]

Ditto
I think he is. [/quote]

He’s also hearing things from his managers etc. regarding a 1,500 seat theatre. So even if he’s right for the larger shows, hopefully we aren’t stuck in total solitary all year.
Still... not a bad idea to make business plans knowing that some think that’s a real possibility.
It is a HORRIBLE idea to make business plans based on something like that.
Danny... you think it’s a horrible idea to have a plan in place in case we can’t perform for the rest of the year? Plan for the worst, hope for the best!
Yea no.

Why not have a plan for 2 years then? Or 10? Not many are suggesting such a thing.
Yea no.

Why not have a plan for 2 years then? Or 10? Not many are suggesting such a thing. [/quote]

Well what are you planning for? I’ve got work booked in August, but I’m crossing my fingers it happens. So much for my plan! Lol
My only plan is to figure out where to store all the toilet paper I’m hoarding:)
No bookings yet, everything’s still cancelled here. (for me)
Danny you’re in Vegas no?
Wondering how the folks that do (bigger traditional) hypnosis shows are navigating this situation.
I think Penn is right.

Bill Gates (who has a much better pulse on this situation than any of us here) did an interview with Judy Woodruff last night.

Here is the part of the transcript that I think applies to us as performers:

Judy Woodruff:

Well, and you have said it may take — according to the scientists you work with and you talk to all the time, it could take up to a year-and-a-half to get that vaccine.

What — are you saying, literally, that it could be the fall of 2021 before Americans can be safe from this COVID-19?

Bill Gates:

Before you can be completely safe.

I mean, by doing the strong social distancing that most of the country is engaged with right now, that allows you to level off the cases and bring it down. And you want to bring it down to a level that your capacity to test, to do contact tracing, to make sure the quarantine is maintained, so you don't see a big rebound, even though you have allowed most work to continue — you know, school, you know, certainly in the fall, you would like to see that go in.

So, we want to have that period, have the economy not as damaged as it is in this extreme period, where the numbers are so big — and they have been growing exponentially — that we have got to get that down, so that it's much lower.

Judy Woodruff:

But when you talk about returning to some semblance of normal, what are we saying that looks like? I mean, you mentioned keeping up social distancing. What could life look like, say, six months, a year from now?

There's still some of these — some of these steps we're taking now, they would remain in effect?

Bill Gates:

Yes. I'm working to write about that.

The closest model today is, you look at China. They are sending people back to work, but they're wearing masks. They're checking temperatures. They're not doing large sporting events. And so they have been able to avoid a large rebound.

There are countries like Sweden that aren't locking down quite as much and seeing, OK, do their numbers go up? If so, can you trace back, which are the activities that are causing that?

We need to learn from all the countries. Our partner, international Health Metrics and Evaluation, is looking at forecasts, where they compatriot different countries. And then that's helping us to understand, OK, which policies in which countries seem to be working?

And so we will be far closer to normal once we get those case numbers down, but there will be some things where the benefit to the risk, like large public gatherings, may not resume until broad vaccination has taken place.

Judy Woodruff:

Meaning conventions, gathering — when you say large public gatherings, over 10 people?

Bill Gates:

Yes, well, we will have to figure out how to draw that threshold.

And we may even understand age-specific risk at that point. And so having a classroom with 30 young people in it may be just fine, because their role in transmitting the disease, we will understand in the next month or so. It may be so limited that you're far more liberal with young people getting together than you would be with a general-age audience.
Enjoy the thread folks, be well
[quote]On Apr 8, 2020, 252life wrote:
Enjoy the thread folks, be well [/quote]

Yea. Me too.
??? I’m not saying either are right but we are talking about Penn Jillette and Bill Gates here and you think there is nothing to discuss because they are wrong?
Major Outdoor Festivals in our area have recently cancelled 2020 events in June, July and August. It will be interesting to see what smaller venues will do. These larger events take time and money to plan, so they are making decisions now. Smaller events have the luxury of time, to wait a bit and see how things go.
I'm curious to know how many of you are hearing from clients who had to postpone their events. Have they yet tried to reschedule? I know many are taking a "wait and see" approach, but this week and last we have been getting many phone calls looking at dates and possibilities of rescheduling, which is a positive sign. Now, of course, these rescheduled dates are still subject to "we'll see how things are as we get closer to the date" understandings. We have had many April and May events reschedule for June-August so far. Even had one school that canceled school for the rest of the year actually reschedule their prom, post-prom and grad night events.

Just curious as to what others are experiencing as far as reschedulings and any new interests or bookings?
Broadway is closed until June 7th.
Many strip properties (casinos/hotels) are currently accepting reservations beginning May 1st.

I expect New York to be behind other parts of the country in coming back.
Yep very much so.
I had a few customers postpone their events until late May. However, the majority seem to have the 'wait and see' attitude. Which frankly I think is wiser. I'm just as hopeful as anyone that Mid-May will be the end, but who knows? We are all in uncharted territory.

Stock market is up today again so far! :)
June earliest but with social distancing. I know they will still be pushing that. Even if lets say social distancing is recommended until fall how will the general public at events act? What will the event planner require? I for one use props but looking more and more to working without them and just doing my entire act without them. Its a challenge of course but just have to be prepared. You get to your postponed event and have to adjust on the fly. There will be a new normal like it or not. Best be ready.

What do you think Danny?

Decomposing Preparation :cool: :cool:
I think that if you take the "live" out of live entertainment you may as well buy a DVD.

If that happens I will be working on the parts of my life that have nothing to do with entertainment.

I doubt people will put up with it. When you look at numbers there is a HUGE concentration of problems in a few spots. The rest of the country is wondering what all the hubbub is bub?. There are hot spots, and it is dangerous. I get all that. But how many places are going to put up with "social distancing" when they have not had large numbers of cases? How many people in Nevada with about 2,500 cases 80 deaths in the state and 27 deaths per million population are going to tolerate such a huge disruption in their lives for long? At some point it reaches a tipping point. At some point the casinos are just not going to tolerate it. It is simple math. People have short memories, and if it does not affect them it is only so long it can be pushed. (I don't know what would happen if that happens. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. Just observati
ons is all.)

Eventually Federalism will rear its head.

I don't know what the "new normal" will end up being. I really don't.
Every one of my postponemnts are a "wait and see". I have not had to refund any deposits yet.
Yup to Danny’s comments.
“Wait and see” here otherwise. Still mostly dead though.
(California btw)
Only one cancellation. I have hope. Nothing is a guarantee. Advance payment on big gig still on hold. Not spending that money plus Uncle Sam sending me a big check next week. Glad he still has plenty of cash. lol

Just back from Petsmart and Target. Essential trip. Still people with jobs.

One day at a time. One business that is doing real well here is the business of crime. No doubt about that. No speed limit for the future race car drivers also.

Suggest having a baseball bat by your door just in case. :realnerdy:
You think the government sending money they don't have is a good solution?

I might recommend an econ 101 class to set where that road leads.
There you are Danny, right on time. I was worried.

I like free paper btw. Hard to find toilet paper. :vcool:

Citizens for Bernie
All I am saying is that the managing of this coming out is going to be a critical time for all of us.

My worry is really for the guys working night to night. Once this is over, before the gigs start again how long will they be able to get that "free money"? I mean I worry that companies may very well not have entertainment as they start back up again.

Will people have money to go on vacation at all to places like Orlando or Vegas? How fast will New York shed that stigma of such a huge impact zone for this pandemic?

Sarcastic jabs aside these are very real issues that a LOT of performers will be dealing with even MORE than if social distancing becomes a thing. Do you lower rates to entice those who may be on the fence? Do you run specials or what?

I mean more than anything this is the sort of thing that will drive the re booking process. I mean how does this change ones positioning in their chosen market place? LOTS of questions that nobody seems to even be considering for the long term affects of this.

But much better to throw jabs out to be sarcastic. Far more productive for everyone that way.
No jabs, I agree. There is going to be a lot of uncertainty going forward to say the least. The reset button will be pushed and then the waiting button will be in order.

I still think that this happening after a booming economy was the best time for it. Would have been worse of course if right after 2008 or other bad times. It all seems so surreal. Go to sleep, wake up and seeing this is a "please pinch me" or gobsmacked moment. :comply:
OH it would have been worse!!! Wow yea I never even thought of that, because in reality it is bad enough, but yea. WAY WORSE. Oye even to think about that is uncomfortable right now thanks for the nightmares.

I just wish we could get stories about positive things about the recovered. My sister is a Nurse Practitioner at a hospital there where someone has on a white board that they had X number of patients in ICU, and so many have been downgraded to actual rooms, so many have been discharged, so many are in better condition and NONE have died.

I think THIS part of the story is what is NOT being told. Insert you own reasons for this, I don't know why and I don't pretend to know why. But certainly it is not a story being told at all. It is all doom and gloom and pandemic and all that.

But yes I am worried many will be in a wait and see posture. But then again so many are not even seeing what is happening in the hot spots other than on TV. It is possible that people will just be sick of being inside. (I now see why my pets bolt for the door at any opportunity after being in the house so long!) Maybe the places less affected will be just ready to get back to life as normal. It happened after 9/11. Outside New York and such it was shocking, but not as much as for them. I am pretty sure this will be the same thing.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Broadway is closed until June 7th. [/quote]

Universal Orlando announced today they are closed until June 1. You can currently book Disney hotels on June 1, but officially they are “closed until further notice”

I’d put $5 down on a Vegas table that no Vegas casino opens May 1. On average I usually leave a casino $0 down and $0 ahead so take that info consideration. (Well.... the casino still wins cause I bought a show ticket and Starbucks.)
I don't know. Look at how many are infected in Nevada. 80 have died. Not a huge number is it? It is "possible" the heat does something to this virus and that would be good for Nevada residents wouldn't it?

Like I have said somewhere the huge companies I work with worldwide are talking about June. That even looks a bit optimistic to me. Not that I think the virus itself is going to stop that but the panic will definitely play a roll.

ALL of the projections have been WAY over and even more over hyped. The thing that will really make this thing turn is when people stand up and say stop it. When they get sick of it. For better or worse that is what it will take. I just hope that IF that happens, it doesn't just cause a worse problem than is been going on.
Well it’s not the Nevada numbers... it’s keeping people from New York, Florida, etc. going “oh look Vegas is open” and then causing an outbreak there. That’s the idea behind closing the entire country isn’t it?

Danny how are things where you are in NJ? The news would make it sound like a war zone there in the nyc area.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
Stock market is up today again so far! :) [/quote]

The massive unprecedented fed action backstopping trillions in bonds is causing a short term adjustment higher, but ultimately we're going back down as the economic reality sinks in. Can't print your way out of the economic destruction of a shock this size. You take the bid out from stock buybacks and you have net outflows, which means the price goes down.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Danny how are things where you are in NJ? The news would make it sound like a war zone there in the nyc area. [/quote]

I don't live too far from Danny. New Jersey is too close to NYC not to be affected but we're in a lot better shape. It all depends on your area. In my township, there have only been 35 cases reports and only 1 death. Starting today, beside the "stay at home" order we are now mandated to wear some type of face mask or cover when going into a store. It was supposed to go into effect tonight, but some stores like grocery stores started it first thing this morning.

As luck would have it, just before I entered the store, the elastic strap on my mask broke. A nice lady behind me said we all have to stick together through this and gave me her scarf. The grocery store looked like day one of this pandemic. Everyone was gathering up as much as they could. I will say the shelves in the grocery stores do show signs of recovery. Midday and there's still a lot of paper towels on the shelves. Toilet paper is also readily available if you you're not particular of the brand. We even have hand sanitizer in some of the stores.
Well right around the end of March I left. As soon as Hoboken decided to have a 10 PM curfew I didn't like what was coming. So I was self isolated for about 3 weeks and left.

When I was there it looked nothing like a war zone. We had a minor run on things at the store, but then it leveled out. Oddly enough it is harder to get Peapod and Amazon Fresh deliveries than to go to the store.

They closed the parks and even the dog parks. I couldn't exercise my dog! Before the zombie apocalypse I would get back from the show and go to the dog park about midnight. When it all started and things went nutzo we used to prowl the badlands. Being 6'5" and 285 with a 75 pound German Shepard that is trained for personal protection practically GUARANTEED a "social distancing"!

So I came to near Chicago. My sister lives here and it is just not as bad as the hot zone of New York/New Jersey. Not even close. Broadway is now closed until the 7th of June so I won't need to be back until then at the earliest.

No matter what you think of what is happening or why it is pretty dark. I will say where I was there was defiantly a "get through this together" vibe that was nice to see.
Keep safe everyone-Our whole country New Zealand, is in a 4 week lockdown,everything is closed except supermarkets that have a 1 person in 1 person out policy
. No swimming allowed,no fishing no driving, or any outdoor activities except local walks or cycling,Police stopping all travel between towns. All trade & shipping still going on as usual. No foreign tourist arrivals at airport as all nz citizens are only people allowed in & the govt puts everybody in 2 week Hotel isolation. Essential workers only ones on the move.
Show wise I lost 8 grand in the first week alone with 4 shows cancelled. will be a while until close up corporate events are allowed to be held,similar to everywhere else.
Lets all do the best we can & support all Magicians & families and hopefully we will all be entertaining the masses soon because they are going to need it..keep safe
Wow, that's really a lockdown. Grocery stores 1 in and 1 out. We have a 50% capacity rule here in New Jersey.
Yeah here we had 10,000 in line for the food bank. Not just regulars of course, most were first time folks out of work. Laredo, TX mandatory mask law when out in public. Michigan you cannot even visit neighbors anymore.

And I still have one booking that has not canceled. I feel fortunate.

Lifting of restrictions will be soon but will people venture out thinking they might die? That is the perception of course for many. Vaccine is not the issue, we were promised a vaccine for HIV that never happened. I believe this one will happen of course but that is next year at the earliest. Treatment is the key IMO. Its going to happen, its just painful and thankful waiting.

If I was reading this thread last year I would think this was a new apocalypse movie thread. :no:
Do some research into how many viruses science has cured and come back.

It is just amazing how easy sheep are to scare.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Do some research into how many viruses science has cured and come back.

It is just amazing how easy sheep are to scare. [/quote]

Amen.
These days it seems you’re labeled a denier of some sort if you don’t go along with the group think blindly and loudly.
“Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.” Quoted from the New York Times - “Zeke Emanuel is vice provost for global initiatives and director of the Healthcare Transformation Institute at the University of Pennsylvania”

As with the quotes from Penn and Bill Gates... I hope he’s wrong.
I think the sheeple are getting restless.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2020, thomasR wrote:
“Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.” Quoted from the New York Times - “Zeke Emanuel is vice provost for global initiatives and director of the Healthcare Transformation Institute at the University of Pennsylvania”

As with the quotes from Penn and Bill Gates... I hope he’s wrong. [/quote]

Are you familiar with Zeke’s failed and corrupt history? How’s The NY Times doing with credibility?
Sorry, but when I see those sources quoted it’s a non starter for the most part.

Drinks are on me Danny.
Sorry if that came out harshly thomas, it’s just that those sources in particular hit a bit of a nerve.
Didn’t mean to sound insulting.
And with that, I’m moving on to more magical threads lol.

Peace and health to all.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think the sheeple are getting restless. [/quote]

I know I am!! I think there might be an opportunity to do some smaller shows locally when things start to open up slowly.
People as I said by and large are not in areas affected by this. They are not going to put up with it for long.

I don't want to devolve this into political nonsense, but suffice as to say projections are WAY high and keep getting revised down. People are being hurt financially. BADLY and want back to work. They are just not going to tolerate this. I don't know what is right or what is wrong or what is or is not safe or not safe. I just know people fairly well. As a nation they are getting tired of this. What this means for opening up things I have NO idea.
Trump will begin meeting with his 'get back to work' task force today. I'm sure Trump wants a May 1st start, the experts say June, July, or even 18 months from now! I suspect a compromise will be reached. I hoping for May 11th but I wouldn't be surprised to see a June 1st start.

A reminder, nearly 38,000 people die every year in the US from car accidents, but do we stay at home and shut down the country? No, we put on a seat belt (take precautions) and go on with life. Life is risky, there are no guarantees. I'll continue keeping my distance from people and washing my hands, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Universal Orlando announced today they are closed until June 1. You can currently book Disney hotels on June 1, but officially they are “closed until further notice”

I’d put $5 down on a Vegas table that no Vegas casino opens May 1. On average I usually leave a casino $0 down and $0 ahead so take that info consideration. (Well.... the casino still wins cause I bought a show ticket and Starbucks.) [/quote]

I heard from my dad that casinos are going to start a curbside service. Pull up, drop off your money, and then leave.

Ace :dance:
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, Acecardician wrote:

I’d put $5 down on a Vegas table that no Vegas casino opens May 1. On average I usually leave a casino $0 down and $0 ahead so take that info consideration. (Well.... the casino still wins cause I bought a show ticket and Starbucks.) [/quote]

I heard from my dad that casinos are going to start a curbside service. Pull up, drop off your money, and then leave.

Ace :dance: [/quote]

Lol so nothings changing basically?
That has been going on for a long time.
Ventured downtown today. A city of almost 2 million people. Saw one theater where a stage magic show use to be held another flier for another magic show. I had a possible gig working on one show a month gig downtown. Surreal now, a virtual ghost town with the only people homeless, workers or a few others taking photos of the apocalypse.

Stopped by one store on the way back and paid $17 for paper towels.

I agree Danny. Open things back up. I and many others can take precautions and lets get the workers back. It will still not be normal but ease back at least.
$17.00?! We’re all in the wrong business lol.
The Gaslamp in San Diego looks like a set for a zombie movie. Surreal.
Were the towels at least a quality double ply?
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, Decomposed wrote:
I agree Danny. Open things back up. I and many others can take precautions and lets get the workers back. It will still not be normal but ease back at least. [/quote]

Where did I say open things back up that you agree with?
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, 252life wrote:
Were the towels at least a quality double ply? [/quote]

It is crazy. The place is called CVS. I was in a hurry and saw they had them and grabbed a semi large pack of paper towels. I think there was six rolls. I will go to grocery store next time. The government stimulus check I am using for the supplies.

Danny I just agreed with your post. Of course they should not open the world up. Just places with just a few cases.

If you are saying to keep restrictions going however, I disagree. Healthy people need to go back to work in States where data shows "curve" has come down. There are still lots of information I just take with a grain of salt. Listening to a virologist tonight who is saying the opposite of what the task force docs are saying. Book released today The Plague of Destruction. Sold out in one day. Just sayin.
Yes the guy who said that we need to know how many are infected and if it is really high that is good. Hmmmm I wonder who had been shouting that and being corrected that since day ONE.

Oh wait that was me!
Yeah, hey my post I said book was plague of destruction. Correction, its Plague Of Corruption.
Mark your calendars, we all share a full page of agreement.
Enjoy this moment gents, drink it in. History indicates it may not last lol
I was driving down Williams Blvd. in Kenner, La. today to drop off paperwork for taxes so I can apply for a PPP loan. I need the paper work for the crumbs they are giving back. Everyone else was driving around like I did before this. The traffic was even thicker than on a normal day. I guess those crumb payments are coming in. No crumbs at my house yet, but it is all good...I booked a gig! I'd rather work.

ACE :dance:
The Paycheck Protection thing is based on what you made. If it is crumbs that is your own fault.

You also qualify for unemployment insurance and that extra $600 a week. Yet you want to call it crumbs.

I seriously am worried about this exact thing. This is such an unprecedented event, government makes people more than whole and it is not enough.
What I mean is that it is crumbs compared to what I paid in. They take take take and give very little back...( it was a nice way of putting they steal from us and then give us a tiny bit back and expect us to be grateful)

My real point before I got sidetracked was it looked like a busier than normal day on the Boulevard. Not many are staying home.
Well they are fighting a pandemic and I'm pretty sure it costs money. The CDC doesn't exactly fund itself.

I'm not a fan of taxes but when the fire department shows up I like it.
A theatre contacted me about booking a show in early November, and a summer camp wanted to know about options for late June.

The camp said they were planning on having more activities at the camp since they are not sure what field trips will be possible.
Tell them to watch a live stream of your show since that is the future.
Message: Posted by: Al Kazam the Magic Man (Apr 20, 2020 08:02AM)
It's a very hard thing to fathom for us not living in the US about opening up again compared to other countries. For context, where I live there was no new infections today. We only have 103 people still recovering from the virus and only 6 people in ICU. 7 deaths in total in our state. Our state government here in not looking to open up for a while yet. Pubs, clubs, restaurants, and a whole slew of business are forbidden from operating. The government is offering different payment schemes etc. Though not everybody is happy, the majority are keen to ensure this virus doesn't drag on forever.

I've lost all of my gigs I had booked, and it's not looking good for when kids parties will be allowed again. Just yesterday a kids party was being held in a Melbourne suburb and the cops were alerted and attended and gave out $26,000 in fines to the hosts and parents who attended with their children.
I heard they may postpone the Olympics (now scheduled for the summer of 2021) again! IMHO this sets the record for most disturbing corona virus news thus far.
By the direction of the Library Administration I had 2 library shows cancel for July 15th and July 27th. I take that as significantly bad news since other summer library events are not far behind. Plus, I am fearful this will set off a 'we care more than you' cancellation frenzy.
All my May-July shows have been cancelled. The organizers all feel bad about it, but it's hard for them because they're dealing with so many unknowns. So I certainly feel their pain. If there is a bright side, they've already booked me for 2021.

I have other shows booked from August going forward, however, I'm just not getting my hopes up at this point.
[quote]On Apr 25, 2020, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I have other shows booked from August going forward, however, I'm just not getting my hopes up at this point. [/quote]

This is where I’m at as well. We will see how things go as some states begin to open up. I’m hoping by August events will be happening but it is anyone’s guess at this point.

Fortunately the stimulus and unemployment money have come through for me, which is a nice surprise.
I think August is reasonable Thomas. I portended December at the beginning of this mess.
Well it depends upon what state you live in. August is longer than I thought this stupidity would last. It is political now, and this much is sad as can be. I thought June might be a turning point. I still think on some level it might be.

But if the country is locked down on the 4th of July celebrating freedom might be tough.

But I am having serious doubts if New York or New Jersey will be back to anything close to normal for performers in August.

I mean think about the MONUMENTAL task of bringing back Broadway. Not only the ticket sales point of view and if it even pays the theater cost to keep people SO far apart, but the idea of recasting, rehearsing and on and on. I don't know what is going to happen. The longer it goes the tougher it is. It is not just turning on a switch.

Other parts of the country will be back sooner obviously, but I thought I saw where Disney is closed until 2021? Not certain how that will pan out or not.
[quote]On May 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well it depends upon what state you live in. August is longer than I thought this stupidity would last. It is political now, and this much is sad as can be. I thought June might be a turning point. I still think on some level it might be.

But if the country is locked down on the 4th of July celebrating freedom might be tough.

But I am having serious doubts if New York or New Jersey will be back to anything close to normal for performers in August.

I mean think about the MONUMENTAL task of bringing back Broadway. Not only the ticket sales point of view and if it even pays the theater cost to keep people SO far apart, but the idea of recasting, rehearsing and on and on. I don't know what is going to happen. The longer it goes the tougher it is. It is not just turning on a switch.

Other parts of the country will be back sooner obviously, but I thought I saw where Disney is closed until 2021? Not certain how that will pan out or not. [/quote]

Totally agree regarding Broadway and the West End shows. I can't even imagine what a mess it is for producers trying to figure out what to do.

Regarding Disney... the shareholders call today they basically just said "we don't know" regarding the domestic parks. Shanghai is opening with extreme measures (you must display a government health app to enter property, you have to have a temperature check, you must wear a mask at all times except when eating.).

I've heard rumors that Disney World might open up the shopping district around the beginning of June? The shopping area was the first to open at Shanghai as well.. it opened a few weeks ago. (For those non-Disney fans each Disney property has an outdoor shopping area that is outside of the parks.)
[quote]On May 6, 2020, thomasR wrote:

I've heard rumors that Disney World might open up the shopping district around the beginning of June? The shopping area was the first to open at Shanghai as well.. it opened a few weeks ago, [/quote]

I’m really hoping that Downtown Disney will open out here as well. On the other hand, I’m not sure if they’ll be bringing back the entertainment options as we tended to draw crowds of over 100 people for our shows. Time will tell!
The worst part is the FEAR! I mean this is a disease that IF you vet it the is a 98% chance of not even needing treatment. Then those who do a large portion recover.
It has been reported so crazy and the 24 hour news cycle with the only concentration being on death toll is ridiculous.

The sheeple are darn scared now. It is a great way to cow a nation that is for sure.

At some point we have to leave the caves and see if it is just shadows moving.
It is interesting to observe the levels of fear. I've seen the whole spectrum, from those who it barely bothers to those who are totally freaked out to the point of a breakdown.
Just booked a new summer camp for June. 200 kids. I usually do a big one hour show. I will do 4-30 min. shows so they can have smaller groups. Not quite doubling my fee, I will do a little extra work but make more overall. It will be in an auditorium. The problem with outside field trips is they have to put less kids on a bus. And they still have to pay full price for each trip. She also said many bus drivers dropped insurance as it is too expensive to keep up while they are not working. If this is the trend I will be super busy. I'm going to do a walk around gig this afternoon at a Church in the parking lot. People will remain in their cars. I will juggle and do visual magic.

ACE
Great to hear ACE. Business is picking up. I got to speak with client tomorrow about event in Sept. Fall should be good for us as the revenge attendees will be ready to break from the freak out news.
[quote]On Apr 5, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
[quote]On Apr 4, 2020, thomasR wrote:

The latest:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/convention-center-beds/289-3823bde8-4636-4f72-a39a-873702030f56

As a side note... are you in New Orleans area? I notice on your photo the riverboat gambler and wondering if you ever work on the Natchez!? [/quote]

It recovered from Katrina. They let people shelter there and the people trashed it bad. They remodeled and it came back bigger and stronger than ever.

Yes, I've been performing on all the riverboats in New Orleans since the early 80's.

ACE [/quote]

May 13, 1000 beds, 17 patients:
https://www.fox8live.com/2020/05/13/hospital-beds-re-open-state-prepares-dismantle-some-covid-beds-convention-center/

ACE
I actually had a Birthday show yesterday. The fellow that hired me is a Doctor, as is his daughter. The show was for his daughter's son who turned 10. So, it was just 4 adults and the Birthday boy. Since it was raining it was inside the house, but everyone was at least 15 feet from me. With my normal Birthday show about 70% of the time I have a kid up helping with a trick. I had to do some digging through my props, but I was able to come up with a show without anyone from the audience coming up to help. It was a lot of fun and they gave me a nice tip, so I would call it a success. It was a nice surprise to get this. I did have a busy summer booked, 1 fair, several festivals, camps, end of the year shows at schools and such. But of course everything is now canceled.
Thanks for sharing Dr. Delusion. Congrats on getting the job done under difficult circumstances.

I worry about this because my show relies so much on audience participation, not just for comedy, but timing and misdirection also. I seriously don't know if I want to do a show without it. I think I'll have to be upfront with my clients about this.
I've been thinking about the no-touch idea as well. Thinking about how I can ask members of the audience to call out "stop" to select playing cards for example. Still... magic is so much better if objects can be examined.
Thanks Ken,
It was fun, but not nearly as enjoyable as a normal show with kids coming up to help. The show was a half hour long and I ended up doing about 10 tricks during that time. I did things like Hippity Hops, Silkcola, the milk pitcher followed by grants water suspension - of course using milk from the pitcher, die box, I used a jumbo deck of cards and ruffled through them to force a card to do the card rise pad with. I had the Birthday Boy say a magic word each time to make the magic happen to try to make him feel like he was a part of the show.
I actually got a request for a balloon twisting gig for tomorrow. She's having a drive-by event and wanted me to twist a balloon for all the kids in the cars, which means the line of cars would be there for 30-minutes. New Jersey is still a closed state with mandatory face coverings. I didn't like the sound of this so I told her I'd make a bunch of balloons, put them in a bag and drop them off 30-minutes before the event so she could hand them out.

The new normal?
In Branson shows, restaurants and such are open. I'm going to doubt new normal.
Here is the thing I'd consider. Everyone perceives this through the lens of how they were personally affected, or through the lens of the media.

My point being that a HUGE percentage of this country was not hurt by this virus but almost destroyed by the reaction to it.

I am not making a statement about the response being right or wrong. Not the point. But the rate at which things return will vary dramatically by location.

If you are in the Northeast this has been a very dramatic and painful thing. I know, I was there when it started. But most of the rest of the country doesn't have that vivid visual of the problem. Again I'm not saying it is good or bad, right or wrong, just that it IS.

Many parts of the country are not even wearing masks or paying much attention to social distancing. Many other parts are tightening restrictions.

I'm just suggesting that there are many more opportunities out there than most seen to think.
I couldn't agree more. The media keeps portraying ground zero and the most heavily hit areas. Those of us that are national performers know this is not at all the case in other parts of the country, some may even say most of the country. People need to look beyond just their area to see the greater picture.
[quote]On May 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
In Branson shows, restaurants and such are open. I'm going to doubt new normal. [/quote]

Magic shows look like they are opening in June (Rick Thomas, Reza, Taylor Reed) - Hamners opening May 23.

Will be interesting to see when Silver Dollar City and Dollywood (both operated by Herschend) open up.

Disney Springs, the shopping center at Disney world opened up today with face mask rule, temperature screening etc. no Disney owned stores opened, only 3rd parties. But at least something at Disney world is open.
Branson is opening. Is it good or bad? I have no opinion. It is opening.
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (May 20, 2020 02:20PM)
Branson is opening slow but sure. I took in an opening show on Saturday.
It had a good turnout with everything considered. The theater did a good job with employees wearing masks
and doing "social distancing" in seating guests. They were also "disinfecting" the theater between shows.

I work at SDC and they have made no announcement when they are going to open, follow them on their website to
get the latest information.

People are starting to come into town...cautiously.

Mark
Exactly. And IF things don't go bad it well continue across the country.

Again I'm not ordering opinion. Just observing.
Yeah, Disney is opening Disney Springs in FL much like the pre-opened the shopping area in Shanghai before letting the park open. Their current thinking is to test local social compliance in the shopping area where they have space on their side. If they feel comfortable with the level of compliance to their safety standards, they can go ahead and open up the parks which obviously carry more risk.
I am also hearing trepidation on a lot of fronts. Making money has to do with occupancy. Hotels that can have 30% occupancy lose money simple as that. The park runs on numbers like that as well as attractions and shows. Often it is just a better business decision to stay closed.

Many in Branson think that they don't want to open until people start coming. People don't want to show up until they know shows are going. It is a chicken egg problem.

The other very real problem that is the 800 pound gorilla in the room is liability. This has many companies quite worried.
There's a great article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled, "Nobody Likes Tourists—Until They Stay Away. The #stayhome brigades are shaming travelers, but summer travel may be what this country needs."

My favorite quote from the article is this, "The economy cannot recover with everyone at home watching Netflix."

Gerry
Universal Orlando Westhill open to limited capacity on June 5th.
[quote]On May 23, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I'm not getting into it. I think this I'd by and large political. If you don't think so cool.

Live music events have a TON of reasons they are not opening. Logistically is 90% of there problem with live events. Tours, hotels, large venues and a million and one other things need time to restart.

On another note Universal Orlando Westhill open to limited capacity on June 5th. [/quote]

You’re the one that said it was political. I was just asking you to clarify.

Regarding live music... Trust me I know... I make my living working on national concert tours. I’m personally happy they aren’t back yet, I don’t want to be living on a tour bus with 12 other people right now.
Universal is opening with limited capacity. All the doomsday scenarios are getting tougher to sell to the public. We will see what happens.

I have NO CLUE if it is right or wrong or what will happen. IF it differs not bring about a huge spike in deaths I think things will start to change quite rapidly. Only an opinion.

What I have no remote idea of is what happens if the very real possibility of things flairing up again comes to pass? No matter what any of us "think" it is possible. Then what? Pretty scary thought.
Universal is the first major park to open.... which is an interesting move. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for them.
Although I suppose some people are not old enough to remember it (hard as it is to believe) I wonder if the coronavirus is going to turn out to be something like the Y2K scare. That was when everybody thought the world was going to end, the lights were going to go out, we would have to live like hermits because all the computer systems were going to break down simultaneously. That was widely seen as a total wash after the fact. Although some people argued that the disaster was avoided because precautions were taken, I think the general consensus was that the whole thing was just blown way out of proportion. It seems we’re kind of in the same situation with the coronavirus. The original predictions were 2 million fatalities, hospital boats were brought into New York Harbor, new hospitals were built, half the country was locked down for two months, the way of life for many of us was changed forever, and the whole thing has turned out to be not much more dangerous than a typical flu season. Will time judge this as “disaster avoided” or as a Y2K scare on steroids? Time will tell.
Well... 100,000 and counting didn’t die over y2k in the USA did they?

I’m not happy over the loss of shows for me, but this is not the time to be gathering large groups of people indoors. Imho of course.

One of the major events I have booked for August is outdoors, so I’m hoping for the best.
This is NOT Y2K. There is very real death associated with this.
One of my events in August just cancelled today... Postponing the multi-day event until 2021.

I’ve got another multi-day event lined up for August and then the start of a national concert tour in late August... we shall see if either of them actually happen.
It’s funny how some of the people who are Now cheering on the protesters, who are marching cheek by jowl with one another, were the same ones insisting we all continue practicing social distancing for the foreseeable future. News flash: there is very little social distancing going on with the massive protests, (which I consider to mark the unofficial end to the COVID quarantine). Nevertheless, the damage to many people’s businesses and livelihoods has been done, and it will take a long time for many to economically recover from all of this.
Its very sad about all the people that have died and have become sick from the virus. Every day we see the reports of how many people have died and tested positive. But will we ever know the statistics of increased suicides, drug addictions, drug overdoses, domestic abuse and injuries, etc. etc. I believe the riots were, in part, a result of the mental trauma caused by the shut down. Perhaps even the death of George Floyd was partially to blame for the police officer's mental state cause by the shut down.

Staying home in isolation is against the nature human beings! We NEED to be productive, even at the risk of getting sick.

Concerning the economic impact, its been devastating and far-reaching. Its as bad if not worse than the great depression, which took a good 10 to 15 years to recover. However, I believe the American economy is a mighty engine that will overcome this.
[quote]On Jun 8, 2020, MagicalArtist wrote:
It’s funny how some of the people who are Now cheering on the protesters, who are marching cheek by jowl with one another, were the same ones insisting we all continue practicing social distancing for the foreseeable future. News flash: there is very little social distancing going on with the massive protests, (which I consider to mark the unofficial end to the COVID quarantine). Nevertheless, the damage to many people’s businesses and livelihoods has been done, and it will take a long time for many to economically recover from all of this. [/quote]

Also ironic to see posts of folks who were complaining about stay-at-home/shelter-in-place now denouncing protests and curfews. Went from "you can't keep up locked up!" to "If police tell you to stay home...stay home!"
Is it possible to believe some of the states tried to over reach with some power grabs during lock downs? AND at the same time believe that protesting it wasn't the worst thing in the world because it is their right? Oh AND believe that those protesting (Peacefully mind you.) have an absolute right to make their point with protesting also about George Floyd?

I happen to believe that if you want to exercise your right to protest have at it. I am also in the camp that each group actually has a point to make. I may not agree with both, or either but I still support their absolute right to do so. I wish we could all just TRY that and see how it works out.

People have a right to protest both things we agree and disagree with. I used to think THAT was part of what being American was all about. Silly me. So lets just support each other and our rights and not make this political and give the moderators a lot of extra work or delete this and all get angry PM's.
[quote]On Jun 8, 2020, imgic wrote:Also ironic to see posts of folks who were complaining about stay-at-home/shelter-in-place now denouncing protests and curfews. Went from "you can't keep up locked up!" to "If police tell you to stay home...stay home!" [/quote]

Don't you see the reverse hypocrisy of demanding "stay at home" one day and the next day cheering on thousands of people swarming the streets without any distancing whatsoever? Also don't you see the difference between protesting and setting fire to things? If you don't, God help you.
Back to performing and drawing as contracted beginning June 18th, with Zero restrictions.

First fair with zero restrictions is the end of July.

All the rest of my contracts going forward (from end of July through the end of September) are all a go!
I'll admit that our larger domestic and international tours are all 2,000 - 5,000 seat venues and are pushed back until at least 2021.
At least are the scary words.
[quote]On Jun 11, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
At least are the scary words. [/quote]

Oh, I know! On the other hand, I just got news that the Disneyland Resort is reopening on July 17th and Downtown Disney is opening on July 7th with obvious restrictions and additional rules. I'm not sure if the DTD entertainment will be back but I hope to hear soon. All of the park wide entertainment (shows, parades, fireworks, etc.) is on hold.
[quote]On Jun 11, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
I'll admit that our larger domestic and international tours are all 2,000 - 5,000 seat venues and are pushed back until at least 2021. [/quote]

Last week the artist I work for said “fall tour is iffy, I’m really hoping we can at least do the Christmas tour”
[quote]On Jun 11, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Last week the artist I work for said “fall tour is iffy, I’m really hoping we can at least do the Christmas tour” [/quote]

I know, the problem is that the large shows are at the far backside of "Essential" and have so many practical and economic obstacles to overcome. Of course it doesn't help that there are still so many cases spiking through the country from that very example of large gatherings.
I created this effect, especially for COVID performances. I hope you all like it. It is in the spirit of our craft and the pain of these times. See effect here: Much thanks to Stevens Magic Emporium for their commitment to keeping us happy during rough times!

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/covid-......rs-mask/
[quote]On Jun 16, 2020, StarManager wrote:
I created this effect, especially for COVID performances. I hope you all like it. It is in the spirit of our craft and the pain of these times. See effect here: Much thanks to Stevens Magic Emporium for their commitment to keeping us happy during rough times!

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/covid-......rs-mask/ [/quote]

Haha! love it! Definitely a top shelf item
[quote]On Jun 16, 2020, Bill08 wrote:
[quote]On Jun 16, 2020, StarManager wrote:

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/covid-......rs-mask/ [/quote]

Haha! love it! Definitely a top shelf item [/quote]

Ahh Dan! So glad it tickled you! Love your gallery at your link! Best of luck during these challenging times!!! JT
Thanks JT! (the link didn't work for some reason, but I was able to find it at the website)
[quote]On Jun 16, 2020, Bill08 wrote:
Thanks JT! (the link didn't work for some reason, but I was able to find it at the website) [/quote]

For others curious: Let’s see if this link sticks: https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/covid-20-magicians-performers-mask/

IF not - visit Stevensmagic.com and search COVID. Look for the man with the full face cover . . . Enjoy!
I predicted December earliest but I was wrong. I am booking shows now. My only concern is social distancing and most of my routines require handling items by my audiences.

PS Like the performer s mask. Four minutes until dizzy is a good fail safe. I wore something similar at Walmart. Got a lot of stares and one photograph.
[quote]On Apr 8, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Danny... you think it’s a horrible idea to have a plan in place in case we can’t perform for the rest of the year? Plan for the worst, hope for the best! [/quote]

Well here we are at the end of the year. And guess what? ALL PERFORMERS ARE WORKING AGAIN! Oh wait, I mean the other thing. Guess who was WILDLY WRONG about this! Go ahead guess.

Wildly, unbelievably embarrassingly wrong!
2020 is simply crazy and unpredictable...

I just saw that one of Copperfields staff tested positive so they are suspending shows until further notice. They had just reopened.
But you didn't guess.
[quote]On Nov 17, 2020, thomasR wrote:
2020 is simply crazy and unpredictable...

I just saw that one of Copperfields staff tested positive so they are suspending shows until further notice. They had just reopened. [/quote]

Come to find it he tested “positive” for antibodies but negative for COVID, but they are still requiring the entire cast and crew to be retested before they can open again.
CRAZY! He tested for the ability to be resistant to the disease. OH LORD we live in a crazy world.
Looks like Vegas shows are down again for a few weeks. Not sure when it started but they were talking about it on Penn’s podcast that aired last week.

I think Copperfield and Piff were the only 2 magic shows back up and running.
I think Murray is back up at the Flamingo.
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
I think Murray is back up at the Flamingo. [/quote]

Oh really? Last time I saw Murray he was at planet Hollywood before Angel opened there. I knew he had to move but surprised the flamingo would have Piff and Murray.
There is about to be a LOT of shuffling going on with showrooms in Vegas.
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
There is about to be a LOT of shuffling going on with showrooms in Vegas. [/quote]

Very true! Piff was playing the main showroom in Flamingo and on one of Penn’s podcasts he mentioned that the Forum was being tossed around for them!

Anybody happen to know what Copperfield was doing when he was open? His show had so much audience participation I'm curious how he changed it.
I am sure they will stay at a Cesar's Entertainment property.
Piff has been having a bit of a hard time. Word behind the scenes is there are some problems which I am sure is part of what is going on.
My mistake, Murray is hosting the Laugh Factory at the Trop. and is (I believe) the only magician working the strip for now. Puff was in the smaller room at the Flamingo but shifted into the main room we were in earlier in the year. From what I heard, David is still down but took out all of his stuff with him in the audience. He’s using his crew for stand in’s for Floating Rose and some of those things, he’s still bringing people on stage but they have to be masked and 6 feet away. I’m not sure if they are still enforcing the 25 foot “moat” between the first row and the performer which has been brutal for most entertainers and especially for magic.
[quote]On Dec 8, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
My mistake, Murray is hosting the Laugh Factory at the Trop. and is (I believe) the only magician working the strip for now. Puff was in the smaller room at the Flamingo but shifted into the main room we were in earlier in the year. From what I heard, David is still down but took out all of his stuff with him in the audience. He’s using his crew for stand in’s for Floating Rose and some of those things, he’s still bringing people on stage but they have to be masked and 6 feet away. I’m not sure if they are still enforcing the 25 foot “moat” between the first row and the performer which has been brutal for most entertainers and especially for magic. [/quote]

Oh cool. I’ve always liked the Tropicana, feels “classic Vegas” still but not in the old and dated way. Would be fun to see him there.

That makes sense regarding David’s show, still has got to be an interesting version of his show to see.
I’ve never been to the comedy club at the Trop but I’m sure it’s functional and work is work!! If anyone can make those restrictions work, It is David, Chris & Homer. I’ll admit I’m curious myself.
This is going to sound TOTAL fanboy, but I believe if anyone can adapt it is Copperfield. He has been doing what he is doing for a LOOOONNG time and I am not the least bit surprised he would be on the forefront.
[quote]On Dec 9, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
This is going to sound TOTAL fanboy, but I believe if anyone can adapt it is Copperfield. He has been doing what he is doing for a LOOOONNG time and I am not the least bit surprised he would be on the forefront. [/quote]

Good point and agree
Are any of the Vegas shows currently open?
They just went into a month long emergency what not.
I heard Absinthe was open but just closed down. They said there is effectively no way to stay open with the newest restrictions.