(Close Window)
Topic: Gospel message with Cups and Balls?
Does any one have a gospel message that they include into there Cups and ball routeen?
I have an advance Cup and Ball routeen, but I struggle to come up with a gospel message I can include with it.
Beyound life is full of choices ----
Mario
Well, I never worked it all out or routined with the idea but as far as a general idea to work with.
The basic message, that I thought might work, is something along the lines of... We can try to run from God or hide from Him, but He always knows exactly where we are, even if we don't know sometimes, etc.
Sort of like we are here one moment but over there the next... am I getting redundant ?
Ok, so that's the basic idea and like I said I never really tried to work it all out. I thought it had potential for non-believers or as an encouragement to believers that wherever they find themselves not to fear because God knows exactly what is going on and where they are.

GlenD
You might also find a fruit of the spirits theme to work, as the little "cherries" go and yet when you need them again they are back. (Or maybe, you could comment on how "some people's fruit looks more like a bunch of nuts...") And sneak in some acorns instead of balls.

But you could go through the fruits of the Spirit as you appear and vanish the balls. Talk even a bit about how good fruit attracks more good fruit. Once you get the taste for doing good, you just cant stop.

And then when your heart is right and you need to share the fruit, you got the orange load once, and then again just for convincers, and finally a hat load of a melon. Now that is some big time "Fruit of the Spirit".

Probably sounds corny, and I havent thought about the actual patter for it, as it is just a thought off the top of my noggin. But it might be "grown" into something useful... ;)

BroDavid
BroDavid,

"Groan" is right -- but I like it! :bg:
Glem - I love the run and hide theory, beautifully thought out
Psalm 139 ties in nicely with the run and hide theme.

Craig
I do a cups and balls routine with a tithing message. The basic application is, I put 1 ball on top of a chop cup, with 2 balls already inside, and say something along the lines of, "This ball here on top is the money that you give to the church," (cover cup and ball with other cup and lift up revealing 2 balls)then I say, "and this is how much money the church asks you to give them after you already gave what you had". It usually goes over well for everybody.
Doesn't Spiritual Applications for Tarbell 1 also have a Gospel Cups and Balls routine?

RevJohn
I just came across this today. It's Paul Gertner's Steel Cups and Balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_6gFVn3Og&feature=related

Terry
The clip is fine and I believe the Gospel was definitely preached. We don't often see this technical of an effect with a gospel message. It is refreshing and the the fact that it was done competently is also refreshing .
Gertners routine is great but not the routine I would have chosen for that message. His main message was " bearing fruit" yet no fruit is visibly seen. As a spectator I had to make a choice - listen to his message or watch his trick. I think he had to fight hard to make scripture fit the trick. I don't think we should have to fight this hard.
I preach the Gospel full time . For over a decade I made my living doing magic. I have done a considerable amount of teaching using magic but it's very hard to resist the temptation of taking one's favorite effect and forcing a gospel message into it . I know because I've done it - NOT GOOD!.
The cups and balls is my personal favorite effect of all. I have been working on an evangelistic C&B routine for over a year. I have yet to perform it because I still think I'm forcing it .
Cups and balls with final fruit loads is a natural effect to teach John 15:16. I just didn't think that ball bearings really working to burn the message . Just my opinion. This mans passion for Jesus Christ is obvious - if one person in the room was blessed by that message -Job well done!
Blessings+++,
Rich
I have to disagree with Rich...The concept of bearing fruit doesn't have to have fruit to demonstrate that...a seed produces after it's own kind. I've never bore an apple, peach or pear, but yet I produce fruit...If he would have used fruit production at the end of the routine, it wouldn't have fit...he got me with the finale, and got me with the message...

I thought that was a great Gospel routine. I was able to get the message, see it demonstrated and watch tremendous magic too. I didn't have to choose between watching and hearing...(but I am highly trained and can walk and chew gum at the same time)

Thanks Terry for sharing that.
Ouch! I normally don't stumble while chewing gum .
God Bless you Terry,
In Christ Jesus+++,
Rich
Just trying to be a little humerous Padre...sorry if it upset you.
No problem . I reread my own post . Probably comes across harsher than I intended.
I can read your post and see the humor now .
Blessings+++,
Rich
Since I was the one who posted the Gospel routine put to Paul Gertner's Steel Cups and Balls, I'll include the link for his performance on YouTube for those of you who haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cGxqYZp6M

Terry
I use a message close to what GlenD said, actually almost spot on.
Greetings,
In an attempt to offer a suggestion towards the original question, when I want to put a Christian/educational/themed message to a trick/routine there are 3 things I do.

Firstly, consider what the effect (does something appear, disappear, change clors,etc) is, or perceived to be. There may be more than one answer. Make a list of all the Christian principles that could be applied to that effect.

Secondly, practice the trick. Do it silently, try to notice something new about it. Maybe there is a different way to do it. Try a made up, silly story line Play with it. All sorts of ideas may come to you if you don't focus too hard on one thing. (Personal hint: keep your mouth open when trying to improvise a story line.)

Thirdly, relax. Lay down or sit in a comfy chair. Close your eyes and think of nothing. Allow all ideas to float around your mind. Think of something other than the trick. Make notes, put them away and don't think about this for one day, two days, a week. Work on another project, then come back to this one.

All these steps will help you to create a patter/story line that came from you and will be natural when you present it, as opposed to using someone else's story and trying to make it fit you. And this ends this session of creative writing 101.
Excellent routine. I, too, thought it was a superb Gospel application of C&B
'unc.
Message: Posted by: brownsentertainment (Aug 12, 2008 05:11PM)
I agree.