(Close Window)
Topic: So hand washing is a new thing huh?
Seriously I fear for a society that has not already tumbled to the fact that hand washing helps to curtail the spread of virus.

It is sort of the same as another thing that happens. I feed my dogs raw food. (NOT trying to start a debate. If you do not do this then cool.) Human grade raw food. The BIG argument people have with me is the bacteria, and the fact that it can be on the surfaces of counters and such.

Here is a crazy thing I do after I FIX MY DINNER as well as when I handle the dogs food. I WASH THE COUNTER! Write that down. It turns out it seems to curtail bacteria! I then wash the dish he eats out of! Crazy talk huh? I also wash my hands BEFORE I HANDLE THE FOOD. I mean it really does seem to help some. I mean yea it is only anecdotal evidence I must admit but it seems powerful.

How has the need to wash hands and dishes become such a burden and something that people seem just too busy to want to do?
It still amazes me how many men I see using public bathrooms (in restaurants, grocery stores, music concerts, the ferry etc.) and leaving without washing their hands.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2020, arthur stead wrote:
It still amazes me how many men I see using public bathrooms (in restaurants, grocery stores, music concerts, the ferry etc.) and leaving without washing their hands. [/quote]

Yea this too. It does make one wonder does it not?
It is not going to stop you the virus anyway: it is all over the door handle after they have blown their nose into a clean tissue.
That's why, after washing my hands, I use a paper napkin to close bathroom door handles when I leave.
A classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssktVpcv9WI

Ron
Costs, loss of pay versus other peoples health.
Soap and water is good general hygiene.

Caution: Damaging skin by drying it out with alcohol or soap and then rubbing with coarse paper makes it more vulnerable to both bacteria and viruses.
That's why, after washing my hands, I use a paper napkin to close bathroom door handles when I leave. [/quote]

Oh that's smart
That's why, after washing my hands, I use a paper napkin to close bathroom door handles when I leave. [/quote]

Do you throw the napkin on the floor inside or outside the bathroom?
Before leaving, while keeping the door open with my elbow, I aim for the trash can inside the bathroom.
The way itís going magicians will soon be performing for a sheet of toilet paper.
I understand the U.K Minister of Health is infected.
Is that political?
[quote]On Mar 11, 2020, tommy wrote:
Is that political? [/quote]

Corona-bias.
Is that political? [/quote]
Medical I think.
Tom Hanks and his wife have it.
Oh, and the NBA is shut down.
Fantastic. Now I have nothing to watch in my bunker.
NHL is done
People freaking out here buying up all the Toilet Paper?
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
People freaking out here buying up all the Toilet Paper? [/quote]

We try. People will grab it out of your cart if you leave it unattended.
When this all blows over the torn n restored toilet paper will have a whole new context 😂
Or squirting toilet paper weeping for all of its fallen brethren.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 17, 2020 03:11PM)
Please don't confuse the mundane with the sublime. Getting a small cup of bleach and a paper towel for cleaning is not some kind of communion from Mister Clean.
It might be if one suppresses the distance between Mister Clean and his consumers.
I can see the future in his shiney head and it is grimmmmmmm
Seattle is a ghost town in the downtown area. I haven't had a commute to work so light in ages.
We're out of Germ-X. I had to pour in rubbing alcohol in the pump bottle with the remnant that the pump could not reach. Still working 70 hours a week.
The way itís going magicians will soon be performing for a sheet of toilet paper. [/quote]

Paper Balls Over the Head BAYBEE! :dancing:

There are TP alternatives on amazon.
Ya. It's called facial tissue. Or paper towel.
When my dad was a child they didn't have toilet paper. Neither did his parents or theirs.
Hmmm...how can we possibly live without it.
[quote]On Mar 27, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:

There are TP alternatives on amazon. [/quote]

I only wish the were alternatives to greed, stupidity and panic.
[quote]On Mar 27, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Ya. It's called facial tissue. Or paper towel.
When my dad was a child they didn't have toilet paper. Neither did his parents or theirs.
Hmmm...how can we possibly live without it. [/quote]

The Farmer's Almanac in the late 1800's came with a hole in the corner to make it easier to hang in the outhouse.

You might enjoy this:

"The first commercially packaged toilet paper was made in 1857 by Joseph Gayetty. The paper was wet with aloe and had his name printed on every sheet. It was sold as a medical product, and claimed to prevent hemorrhoids. The product wasnít very successful, because most people had a hard time paying the equivalent of $12 for 500 sheets when there were so many free options available.

The mass production of toilet paper continued, however, and perforated rolls like what we use today were patented in 1871 by Zeth Wheeler. The Scott brand made toilet paper rolls popular beginning in 1890, because it was sold to hotels and drug stores. Many people were uncomfortable buying the product, because Americans were embarrassed by their own bodily functions at the time. Toilet paper was literally uncomfortable until the 1930s, in fact, because it contained splinters.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, indoor plumbing and flush toilets were becoming more common, so Americans were forced to deal with their issues and buy toilet paper that would not cause clogs or damage to pipes. Another big advancement in the toilet paper industry came in 1928, when the Hoberg Paper Company introduced Charmin toilet paper, gave it a feminine logo, and advertised its softness instead of its purpose. The product was extremely successful, and toilet paper quickly became a necessity instead of a luxury item reserved only for royalty or the very wealthy."
Re toilet paper:
Yes, there are alternatives. However, many are not properly educated or experienced in their use. Things are being flushed down the toilet that shouldn't and this can lead to things getting much much worse.
You can use wet newspaper as a substitute. Don't flush it.
I've used a Wheel Deals and Nickel Nick.
You can use diaper wipes, don't flush them.
Not all flushable wipes are flushable. The ones that are come with instructions to not flush more than one at a time. Adhere to that.
Corn husks work. Don't flush them.
Lots of plants work, research and positively identify.
You can use snow. Location matters.
You can use a rock and leave it in the sun to dry out. Not too fun. See also snow.
Best alternative is to jump in the shower, IMO.
Keep in mind if people keep flushing nonflushables or over flushing sortaflushables this can lead not only to massive hygiene issues but damage the water supply.
You do not want to damage the water supply, trust me.
Or you can install a bidet and reduce your TP by 75% or more. I really don't understand why the U.S. don't use bidets...
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, critter wrote:
Keep in mind if people keep flushing nonflushables or over flushing sortaflushables this can lead not only to massive hygiene issues but damage the water supply.
You do not want to damage the water supply, trust me. [/quote]

HUGE point here that too many miss.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 28, 2020 02:16PM)
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, Animated Puppets wrote:
Or you can install a bidet and reduce your TP by 75% or more. I really don't understand why the U.S. don't use bidets... [/quote]

Surface level response - see the movie Demolition Man about the "three seashells". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnuOa7tDco

in detail... okay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI5shsQuauY
There was this Japanese toilet seat with all of these multi functions for sale at the thrift store once. I was intrigued, but not enough to buy a used toilet seat.
Although I guess most of us get a used toilet seat when we rent a place someone else has lived in so eh
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 28, 2020 05:52PM)
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, critter wrote:
Although I guess most of us get a used toilet seat when we rent a place someone else has lived in so eh [/quote]
Yah know, at the back of the seat are two hinge covers, and below that are the ... nope, not gonna tip real magic secrets :D
What have we got that isn't made in China?
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, tommy wrote:
What have we got that isn't made in China? [/quote]

Coronavirus.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 29, 2020 05:20PM)
Made? It's looking like animal traffic - pangolin in particular - was a cause in this animal-to-human virus event.
They have a patent.
[quote]On Mar 29, 2020, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Made? It's looking like animal traffic - pangolin in particular - was a cause in this animal-to-human virus event. [/quote]
Correct. In Wuhan, China.
Guys Critter was making what prior to the internet was called a joke.
I'm a counselor. I've heard every paranoid conspiracy theory. I have to laugh about some of them or I'll need my own services.
All of the conspiracy theories originate from the same tiny cabal in Lithuania...at least that's what people are saying.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:
All of the conspiracy theories originate from the same tiny cabal in Lithuania...at least that's what people are saying. [/quote]

Smartest joke of the Pandemic!

Also quite funny.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, critter wrote:
I'm a counselor. I've heard every paranoid conspiracy theory. I have to laugh about some of them or I'll need my own services. [/quote]

I can imagine.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2020, critter wrote:
I'm a counselor. I've heard every paranoid conspiracy theory. I have to laugh about some of them or I'll need my own services. [/quote]Other peoples personal logic can make good presentation... just not in front of the person whose story you are using.

If you recall the classic "turn off the electricity to stay safe from high powered rifle" story - re-frame that as a "Matrix glitch" where you show how a compass moves when you turn the DC power on/off. "See, it's all a simulation. Now if only we can hack it a little further..."

So, what good stories have you heard?

(avatar pic to change very soon - the smug shot joke just didn't play :goof: )
[quote]On Mar 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Seriously I fear for a society that has not already tumbled to the fact that hand washing helps to curtail the spread of virus.

It is sort of the same as another thing that happens. I feed my dogs raw food. (NOT trying to start a debate. If you do not do this then cool.) Human grade raw food. The BIG argument people have with me is the bacteria, and the fact that it can be on the surfaces of counters and such.

Here is a crazy thing I do after I FIX MY DINNER as well as when I handle the dogs food. I WASH THE COUNTER! Write that down. It turns out it seems to curtail bacteria! I then wash the dish he eats out of! Crazy talk huh? I also wash my hands BEFORE I HANDLE THE FOOD. I mean it really does seem to help some. I mean yea it is only anecdotal evidence I must admit but it seems powerful.

How has the need to wash hands and dishes become such a burden and something that people seem just too busy to want to do? [/quote]

I don't believe it's a question of people NOT washing their hands at all, so much as it's a question of people not washing their hand CORRECTLY!

Most people, get their hands wet, put a little soap in the palm, rub the palms together, then the backs of their hands and rinse off.

Total time; between 5 and 8 seconds.

Most people DON'T get in between their fingers, (or fingers and thumb) and most certainly don't continue lathering for 20 seconds before rinsing.
Under the nails is critical.
[quote]On Apr 21, 2020, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Mar 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

How has the need to wash hands and dishes become such a burden and something that people seem just too busy to want to do? [/quote]

I don't believe it's a question of people NOT washing their hands at all, so much as it's a question of people not washing their hand CORRECTLY!

Most people, get their hands wet, put a little soap in the palm, rub the palms together, then the backs of their hands and rinse off.

Total time; between 5 and 8 seconds.

Most people DON'T get in between their fingers, (or fingers and thumb) and most certainly don't continue lathering for 20 seconds before rinsing. [/quote]

Seriously? People don't know how to wash their hands? Society is indeed doomed.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

Seriously? People don't know how to wash their hands? Society is indeed doomed. [/quote]

Luckily, Christopher T Magician has come along to save the day! https://youtu.be/V1hthhTKdjw
I am going with doomed, and using that video as proof.
Secret societies are doomed because they can no longer use secret handshakes.
[quote]Secret societies are doomed because they can no longer use secret handshakes.[/quote]

But they [i]are[/i] shaking hands. You just don't see them because they're secret...
[img]https://mtv-main-assets.mountvernon.org/files/resources/washington_constitutional_convention_1787.jpg[/img]

"But, none of this counts if there is a virus."
[quote]On Apr 25, 2020, tommy wrote:
[img]https://mtv-main-assets.mountvernon.org/files/resources/washington_constitutional_convention_1787.jpg[/img]

"But, none of this counts if there is a virus." [/quote]

Exactly the problem I have.
Secret societies are doomed because they can no longer use secret handshakes. [/quote]
Yes they can.
Cut out ceremonial handshakes to fight coronavirus, freemasons told

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/05/cut-ceremonial-handshakes-fight-coronavirus-freemasons-told/
Cut out ceremonial handshakes to fight coronavirus, freemasons told

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/05/cut-ceremonial-handshakes-fight-coronavirus-freemasons-told/ [/quote]

Yes, I'm very much aware of the communication from U.G.L.E.
Here is the key point from your article:

"...if you or candidates are concerned about how they can take place with little or no physical contact, while maintaining their meaning and impact, you may even wish to consider postponing the ceremony until the situation has improved,..."

Which is precisely what we are doing.
LOL
??
[quote]On Apr 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

"But, none of this counts if there is a virus." [/quote]

Exactly the problem I have. [/quote]

That horse left the stable a loooonnnnnggg time ago.
He who rides a tiger can never dismount.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/E4I5qcQ.jpg[/img]
insert clever comment here...
[img]https://i.imgur.com/E4I5qcQ.jpg[/img]
clever comment
I wonder where our old friend Danny is and I hope he and is tribe are well.
We've had 2 people test positive in our office. For 2 weeks we had to wear masks inside the office. Once those 2 cleared isolation the masks disapeared within the office; though we still have to wear them outside.

I checked under my desk and did not find a pod...