(Close Window)
Topic: An interesting Tarot card trick
Blasphemy! Tarot cards should NEVER be used for magic.
They open up all sorts of creative avenues and engaging presentations! Plus, they're just more interesting to look at.
Tarot cards are nothing more than a standard deck of playing cards with additional wild cards added (in order to play the game of Tarocchi). They were created with no mystical purpose whatsoever.

Those who ascribe divinatory or other supernatural attributes to the cards are free to treat them however they wish; others will be more likely to treat them as any other playing card deck.
Stephen Minch has published a collection of Tarot tricks, [i]The Book of Thoth[/i]. Some nice effects in it.
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, ddyment wrote:
Tarot cards are nothing more than a standard deck of playing cards with additional wild cards added (in order to play the game of Tarocchi). They were created with no mystical purpose whatsoever.

Those who ascribe divinatory or other supernatural attributes to the cards are free to treat them however they wish; others will be more likely to treat them as any other playing card deck. [/quote]
don't let Mark Lewis hear you say that!
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
They open up all sorts of creative avenues and engaging presentations! Plus, they're just more interesting to look at. [/quote]
Blasphemy!
I like magicians who do Tarot-tricks but not Tarot-readers who do magic.
Thanks Doug
[quote]On Apr 15, 2020, ddyment wrote:

Those who ascribe divinatory or other supernatural attributes to the cards are free to treat them however they wish; others will be more likely to treat them as any other playing card deck. [/quote]
Michael Dummett is a respected academic who has done important and extensive work to substantiate this with scholarly evidence.

The [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dummett]Wikipedia article[/url] on him give a good summary of his conclusions:
[quote]His historical work on the use of the tarot pack in card games attempted to establish that the invention of Tarot could be set in 15th-century Italy. He laid the foundation for most subsequent research on the game of tarot, including exhaustive accounts of the rules of all hitherto known forms of the game.

Dummett's analysis of the historical evidence suggested that fortune-telling and occult interpretations were unknown before the 18th century. During most of their recorded history, he wrote, Tarot cards were used to play an extremely popular trick-taking game which is still enjoyed in much of Europe. Dummett showed that the middle of the 18th century saw a great development in the game of Tarot, including a modernized deck with French suit-signs, and without the medieval allegories that interest occultists. This coincided with a growth in Tarot's popularity. "The hundred years between about 1730 and 1830 were the heyday of the game of Tarot; it was played not only in northern Italy, eastern France, Switzerland, Germany and Austro-Hungary, but also in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and even Russia. Not only was it, in these areas, a famous game with many devotees: it was also, during that period, more truly an international game than it had ever been before or than it has ever been since.[/quote]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/u6L7GBg.jpg[/img]

I've also touched on this topic here: [url=https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all-in/debunking-common-myths-about-playing-cards-tarot-cards]Were playing cards developed from Tarot cards?[/url]

BTW, what happened to the original post in this thread - has it been removed? The subject line doesn't seem to fit with the post at the top of this thread.
The tarot card tricks that I have seen were really cool. Plus I just think that overall the tarot decks are beautiful and you can go into some interesting routines and possibilities with them
Message: Posted by: Oliver Munoz Gutierrez (Aug 14, 2020 12:55PM)
I love tarot psychometrie by Luke Jermay, although I'm not a mind reader or a mentalist.
Its just about presentation....
This shop has lot of fine Tarot cards:
https://www.alidastore.com/ilnegozio?language=en
A great trick with Tarot cards: Beat the Devil by Darwin Ortiz, page 196 in the fantastic book Scams & Fantasies with Cards (2002).
Surely some of the best tarot card magic I've encountered comes from Doc Shiels. He has some amazingly simple handlings that work underneath some truly bizarre storytelling. Great effects.

I think I remember there was a gemini artifacts trick that was essentially color monte with tarot cards. Reinforcing my belief once again that if we take the moves we already have and reapply the storytelling, there are some performance treasures beneath the surface.

I've done twisting the aces with your choice of favorite four major arcana.

I also use tarot cards in a stack order. It's super hard to learn: it's quite literally just the major arcana in order. Cut, display a card or two, cut, display another card or two. No one catches on to the order because most people aren't aware there is an order at all. Now you can do mnemonicosis, spelling tricks, predictions and reveals.

The sky is really the limit.

The tough cookie is performing 'magic' with tarot cards for anyone who uses tarot cards as an oracle in their own life. With the amount of information available and how popular it's been the last few years, it's not entirely uncommon to pull out the tarot cards and have your spectator be way more well versed in the interpretations of the cards.
When taking about Tarot effects, don't forget the Black Hart! Kieth has some of the most amazing effect of this type, including my very favorite for something like 20 years (which will be KILLER for this year; The Curse of the Black Death!

Great thinker and dealer, and (from the few times I've corresponded with him) a great guy.
[quote]On Oct 5, 2020, pulpscrypt wrote:
When taking about Tarot effects, don't forget the Black Hart! Kieth has some of the most amazing effect of this type, including my very favorite for something like 20 years (which will be KILLER for this year; The Curse of the Black Death!

Great thinker and dealer, and (from the few times I've corresponded with him) a great guy. [/quote]

I'm not familiar with him, where can I find his work?
Ditto
Here's the link: [url=http://www.blackhart.co.uk/index.html]Black Hart[/url]. Keith Hart is the one you deal with.
Great website. Nice effects and presentation with tarot.
Another vote for Black Artifacts: http://www.blackhart.co.uk/index.html