(Close Window)
Topic: Psych Artist
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm starting a new project to focus my time and energy right now into being productive and attempt to give something back to the community and art form that I love.

On my site Psych-Artist.com I plan to continue writing and publishing short essays.

If there is anything you'd like me to write about or discuss, I'm happy to take suggestions here.

I'm very fortunate to have had the career I've had and would love to be able to share success stories and help you guys avoid potential failures that I've learned from.

Obviously there is a chance of the public stumbling on it (which is why it's all listed under my real name and kept separate from my performing name), so as much as I can't get into specific methods, I think there are more important things I can be sharing anyway.

So basically ... ask away and allow me to write about it so hopefully there will be some benefit for at least a few people.

Much love & stay safe,
Colin
I spent some time on the site this morning poking around. Very interesting concepts and some cutting edge ideas.

David
Thank you kindly sir!

It's just getting started and I truly feel I have a lot to give.

... I just want to know how to best channel and priorities my thinking.

Good thoughts,
Colin
I'd be interested in discussions about:

1) How you plan to cope with mentalism in a no-touch post Covid world
2) What some of the highlights of AGT were like -- the challenges of mounting an effect within such tight timelines
3) Any insights you have for engaging large audiences

I think you are at the start of what could be an outstanding project. I wish you well with it,

David
Consider them added to the list.

Colin
Yesterday I DEVOURED the four video downloads that Colin has made available on the site.

I just added a post in Latest and Greatest detailing my thoughts: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=712111&forum=218#0

In summary, don't miss out on this!

Best wishes,

Drew
Truly means a lot Drew!!

Most importantly, for people going stir crazy at home, I'm aiming to add a new essay every other day to provide some food for thought, positive creative exercises or answer questions on areas I can best asset people.

Good thoughts,
Colin
I don't buy much mentalism these days, but I'm enough of a fan of Colin's work that I got the whole package. I've watched ForceSight so far, and it is frankly stellar. His new mechanical twists on a prop we all know and love are ingenious by themselves, but the real gold is seeing the mileage he then gets out of it Ė the structure, the subtleties, and how he maximizes the revelations. And that information can be applied to lots of other props and techniques. Highly recommended.
I'm interested in forcesight and thief, mainly cos I've always wanted to know who let the dogs out...
Colin, what a wonderful and selfless act and it is greatly appreciated. I also loved your ProMystic Video chat. My tours have all been postponed as well as my local and international consulting projects so I have a LOT of time to look at everything!
... Iím answering the important questions Iain 😂.

Colin (who is glad someone noticed)
1) Injecting your character's personality into your act (e.g., when to do so, how much and what to reveal)
2) Fashion/style for the mentalist
Colin wrote to me this morning and asked me if I would take a look at these four downloads and post a review. Since I happen to have a little time on my hands (sigh), I was happy to agree. Just before the review, let me tell it straight: There is no way I would say anything was good if I honestly didn't believe it -- no matter who the artist is. I mean it.

That said...here's the review:

I've spent the day with Colin McLeod. For nearly four hours he's been on my iPad, chatting and instructing -- sharing stories and insights into the creation of four signature routines. I've just finished watching the fourth and I find myself sitting here in silence...with ideas pounding through my mind. There's a palm sized red mark in the middle of my forehead from me smacking myself, asking me why I didn't think of that.

Each one of the four routines is a jewel, cracking with original thinking, manic attention to tiny detail, crystal clear instruction and complete respect paid to nuance. This is THE no-kidding BEST set of routines I have ever seen. If you're interested in watching one of the most inventive minds in mentalism tackle classics and upgrade them into something utterly extraordinary, you need to consider taking a very close look at these offerings.

FORCE-SIGHT is the crown jewel of the collection. It requires nothing but a gently modified pad. The audience sees you read multiple minds -- one after the other, coming up with remarkable revelations. They see you divining PIN numbers, revealing private memories in a system that is diabolically simple and uses an item you can modify yourself in an hour or another item that has been widely commercially available. It's not the method that is groundbreaking -- although there are some very innovative modifications that can be employed. What blew me away -- and I DO mean 'blew me away' -- is where his thinking takes this effect. Ideas from other routines, original concepts...nuance. This whole routine is genius and the presentation is elegant and highly commercial. Absolutely my favorite in the set.

PSYCHO is something you have probably seen Colin do on AGT or in performance at mentalism conventions. I saw him performing this at MindVention one year and he and I chatted about it. I was mystified as to how it had been done. I was able to put some of the pieces together, but to deconstruct the whole routine was made impossible. Okay...it IS impossible to take apart because layer after layer of what Bob Cassidy called "Logical Disconnects" are built into the structure. It remains one of the best confabulation routines I have ever seen. It marries a "Which Hand" concept with confabulation in a routine that really works.

With most confab effects the performer solicits input from the audience and in the end -- to no one's surprise -- he reveals that he knew what they were going to decide on all along. And that's where they fall flat because the only one who is really impressed with what's just happened...is the performer. This effect is loaded with entertainment and energy built into a steady rising action to a powerful reveal that will bring the house down. (I almost wrote "a steady rising action that leads to a powerful climax"...but that just sounded wrong.) Fun, brilliant and wildly entertaining. Great fun. Outstanding mentalism.

THIEF is Colin's treatment of an all time classic: Max Maven's transcendent "Desire." I have been doing this effect as a staple of my shows for nearly ten years. I love it's adaptability and the simplicity of its design. Colin's solutions for some of the rougher parts of the effect are bold and very clever. If you're not already doing Desire, consider taking a look at THIEF. It's smooth, clean and very well thought out.

ENVision is a series of ideas for things you can do with envelopes of all sizes. Great concepts for everything from confabulation routines where the prediction is presented as in a sealed envelope to headline predictions. What is fascinating about this download is not just the routines talked about but the way Colin's thinking can be applied to so many other effects. Essentially if you're in the market for doing a prediction in a sealed envelope and you want to know EVERYTHING about how to make it happen? This is it. Consider it as an option for a media interview, or a high end corporate event. How about a prediction on a playoff game (assuming there will be playoff games again.) Outstanding applications for close up as well as stage. I really loved the versatility of concepts presented in this download.

The truly wonderful thing about this collection aren't just great road-tested routines. They are certainly that -- and there's a powerful something to be said of those rare events where seasoned performers actually share ALL of the really good stuff they've learned from performing the same routine hundreds or even thousands of times. But what really excites me is the way the concepts built into these routines can be applied to an infinite number of possibilities. I love ideas that are adaptable to my own style and these four video downloads are perfect candidates for "ideas to build on."

Here's the bottom line: when I want to take my mentalism to graduate school, I open up Bruce Bernstien's Unreal. So far that one work has been my go-to for inspiration -- my own University of Mentalism. Up till now there hasn't been a real companion piece. But I have one now. Colin McLeod's brilliant Pro Pack is in its own way as good as Unreal for challenging thinking and exciting concepts. It is a masterwork.

It really is an example of an offering to the community that truly is an investment. Speaking of that investment: all four routines are available in a package for $129.99 or can be purchased individually. The package discount only applies for the next six days. If any of the concepts here tickle your fancy, I strongly suggest you head over to psych-artist.com and have a look. You just might be seeing one direction of the future of mentalism.

David
Following up on my earlier post after having watched a second video, Psycho, here are my thoughts. The highest praise I can give to a release is not to say that I'll use it myself; rather, the highest praise I can say is that it has given me the tools and inspiration to make something I do better. Psycho has done that, in spades. A this point, even if the remaining two videos I haven't yet watched turned out to be absolute crap (which I highly doubt), I would still feel I'd gotten my money's worth.

PS - In case there's any doubt, I paid full price for these, and Colin had no advance knowledge that I'd be buying them in the first place, let alone what I'd say about them.
I need to be honest, I've had tried to write a response to this three times today, but struggled because I am simply overwhelmed with the response.

When you perform your creations for real people it's scary. However they improve and become more honed and and defined over time. But when you release them to your peers and colleagues, that's a different fear entirely. You have one chance to share them in a way where you not only do them justice, but want to enable and empower everyone with the knowledge and the confidence to go and perform them as close to perfect, off the bat, as possible.

I'm truly relieved, honored and delighted that they are having the positive impact I wanted them to. I tried to pour my heart and mind into these and give everything I could.

The fact that people I respect and honest strangers have been so positive about these has filled me with joy.

Guys, thank you.
Truly excited to discover Colins project and the prospect of his 1:1 consulting. A superb website and really look forward to reading more insightful essays. Would be intrigued to read more about scripting and character for stage. Colin, you've been so gracious with your time with the recently brilliant interviews on the ProMystic and All Things Magic Facebook group, thank you for sharing. All the best, keep well and stay safe.
Colin, saw your show in Vegas recently. My wife thought you're the best mentalist she has seen, and she has seen many, and says hello.

Bought the effects in a heartbeat. Question: how do you see creativity? Any thoughts your own creative process?

Feras
That truly means a lot.

I just posted this today ...

https://www.psych-artist.com/blog-1/a-magician-is-an-actor-playing-the-part-of-a-magician

But the creativity topic is the first thing I'm going to write about this evening.

Best,
C
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Yesterday I DEVOURED the four video downloads that Colin has made available on the site.

I just added a post in Latest and Greatest detailing my thoughts: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=712111&forum=218#0

In summary, don't miss out on this!

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]

I agree with everything Drew says in his review. I was glad that I saw the message from magic Cafť about this offer.

I was fortunate enough to buy as well. I think this will be one of my better purchases. Real practical methods and better than purchasing fancy new prop. I feel like I will get a lot out of these routines and the video instructions that come with this are top notch. I am more of a visual learner. This is at a great price for anyone to buy.
Sale ends in 7 days and I'm going to stay true to that to both respect everyone who did take the risk up front and because others have confirmed the value in this stuff.

For those who aren't looking to buy yet, feel free to continue to enjoy/disagree with my essays I've going to continue publishing.

https://www.psych-artist.com/blog-1/l5kx33k9lahb4aedrng7wda2gazs2a

Much love team,
Colin
I bought THIEF last night, looking forward to watching it at the weekend...
Ended up watching it tonight - its very good, well taught, thorough - and always really useful and interesting to see how someone approaches a classic and where they go with it that suits them...

you'll get more than your monies worth with THIEF...

you could say its a....wait for it....

a steal...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 16, 2020 03:16PM)
:lol:
Iain ... gold 😂
[quote]On Apr 16, 2020, lancenicolai58 wrote:

I was fortunate enough to buy as well. I think this will be one of my better purchases. Real practical methods and better than purchasing fancy new prop. I feel like I will get a lot out of these routines and the video instructions that come with this are top notch. I am more of a visual learner. This is at a great price for anyone to buy. [/quote]

I could not agree more. These four videos are superb. They set a whole new standard for instructional videos, with actual clips from various real shows (i.e. no pipe dreams). My only regret with these routines is they are so perfect and well thought out, that I will have a real hard time creating my own presentation in stead of just presenting it like Colin is. ;-)

Thank you Colin
A question about force-sight, is this workable for a close-up kinda scenario please?
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, IAIN wrote:
A question about force-sight, is this workable for a close-up kinda scenario please? [/quote]

Yes it is brilliant for both stage and close-up :-)
Thanks👍
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, Lars Andersen wrote:
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, IAIN wrote:
A question about force-sight, is this workable for a close-up kinda scenario please? [/quote]

Yes it is brilliant for both stage and close-up :-) [/quote]

Note, but not in the same way.
For stage - it's set up to work with 5 participants, two on stage and 3 in the audience.

For close-up, I'd only use 3 people at most (only one person for the normal pad approach).

But, Colin provides advice about how to set up the pad that is brilliant.
Ok, thanks alot...will have a think about it :)
Purchased the 4 downloads from https://www.psych-artist.com. Iíve been a fan of Colinís thinking and I love his character. Iím a A big fan of the inspector that lived on 221b Baker Street! Iíve watched force sight and itís brilliant with updated info and impactful subtleties that make the In-depth downloads feel perfect! If the other 3 Downloads are as great as this one which I hear they are then this is a very good deal for what you get! Starting ďthiefĒ later tonight!
[quote]On Apr 16, 2020, Colin wrote:
Sale ends in 7 days and I'm going to stay true to that to both respect everyone who did take the risk up front and because others have confirmed the value in this stuff.

Much love team,
Colin [/quote]
seven days from when? Do I still have time? can't find a date to start or finish...
7 days from the 16th (the day of this post) I guess....?
Iíve been asked to write about being creative, heís gonna take me a number if days to get through it all, but Iíll gladly share as much as I can.

Iím pretty sure Iíll go around in circles a little, but Iím confident Iíll hit on beneficial points on the way.

Enjoy ... or disagree. Either way, get thinking and writing.

Best,
Colin

https://www.psych-artist.com/blog-1/buffering-part-1
Colin has scheduled a Facebook live!: https://www.facebook.com/ColinCloudOfficial/videos/231297537983976/?vh=e&d=n
Sorry that was just a test! But Luca Volpe will be announcing information soon :)

I'll make sure it gets posted here too.

Best,
Colin
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Colin wrote:
Sorry that was just a test! But Luca Volpe will be announcing information soon :)

I'll make sure it gets posted here too.

Best,
Colin [/quote]

Thank you for the update Colin. Any more talks with Craig at ProMystic planned? Best wishes, N
Craig will be announcing something new for our next chat soon.

We like to do them when we have a new approach.

Thereís so much online content for magic now, we like to do it when we have something genuinely different and worthy of everyoneís time.

Stay safe team,
C.
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]On Apr 16, 2020, Colin wrote:

Much love team,
Colin [/quote]
seven days from when? Do I still have time? can't find a date to start or finish...
7 days from the 16th (the day of this post) I guess....? [/quote]
Wow.... Can't get an answer for this legit question 😠
But isn't it obvious?! Look at the date Colin made the announcement then add 7...
Lol!
Hey Colin, how the craic? Just wondering could you write about a gig where things didn't go right? Either the crowd weren't feeling it, you had an off night or some technical mishap? Think we've all been there and be interesting to have a look behind the curtain in how you dealt with such an experience.

Got the bundle earlier this morning - looking forward to them.

Sound!

Pete Carroll
Can anyone confirm which of the four effects show real world footage of them being performed?
Kroots - All of the downloads contain such footage (and in some cases from multiple performances).

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Apr 14, 2020, Joshua Quinn wrote:
...The highest praise I can give to a release is not to say that I'll use it myself; rather, the highest praise I can say is that it has given me the tools and inspiration to make something I do better...[/quote]

I picked up the Pro package on Colinís site and have slowly watched the videos the past couple of days. Ditto to what Joshua Quinn wrote above. Iíve made some, what I consider pretty big, improvements to effects I already do.

The free essays are really interesting as well. Some really great content on this site.
Tomorrow at 7pm Italy Time we have a FREE LIVE TALK from Colin here: https://www.facebook.com/events/264189014747001/
Make sure you join to my group at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lucavolpeproductions
Not rich enough to afford all the tutorials...do any of them lend well to closeup situations?
Or are they all only best for stage?
Colin, I love reading your essays. Could you write something about your thoughts on using electronics in mentalism shows?

Also, I would be extremely interested in reading more about character development for the mentalist. (and as someone else mentioned: scripting)
A fantastic Q&A with the brilliant mind of Colin Cloud orgainsed by the equally fantastic Luca Volpe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7A3Jt1nGs
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, IAIN wrote:
But isn't it obvious?! Look at the date Colin made the announcement then add 7... [/quote]
... then you take that # and reverse it. Subtract that date from the original date, put
the result in CHaSeD order add 9 and that's your date, unless that lands on a Wednesday,
it so add 1 extra day.
Lol! Of course.
Went ahead and took the plunge and did the full 4-pack deal. Very pleased that I did. I really like the way that he plays with the concepts to create the routine. Don't just watch the video once to learn the effect. These are lectures that you study. Looking forward to enjoying more.
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, IAIN wrote:
But isn't it obvious?! Look at the date Colin made the announcement then add 7... [/quote]

Can you tell us the obvious answer? because I thought the offer expired yesterday but it's still running today.
It would have been better if he wouldn't have set any expiring date at all.

Regards
Not my problem...

He said a week and now it's longer...no reason to complain...
I left it because Thursday midnight is different all over the world.

I would rather that than someone just miss out on it then complain.

But hey, some people are always going to find a reason to get upset about something arenít they?

I know which type of people Iíd rather be.

So, given that Iíve just woken up, Iíll be removing it now, so you can relax and get on with your day. Crisis averted.
Glad I just got in yesterday! 😊
Canít wait to check the videos out!
Bought envision and FORCEsightóboth are amazing!

I will review when I have absorbed more. Many subtleties and nuances that have to be reviewed. All practical and really usable gems to put it shortly.

Bravo, and In short, donít buy it! I want it just for the few...

PAUL
Having purchased the 'Pro-package', Iím loving the new downloads Force-Sight, Psycho, Thief and ENVision. Psycho is possibly my favourite, as itís a fantastic routine that any seasoned performer could adapt to suit their style of performance and character. As with all the other tutorials, Colin breaks down the routine into all its detail, accompanied with a number of his recorded performances with all its nuances in how you can transform it from 'which hand' to a full blown stage performance. Really looking forward to Colins webinar today, later followed by Colins 'The Structure' in how one could incorporate all the other routines to create a whole one man show. Fabulous work Mr Cloud!
Hey guys!
For FORCE-SIGHT what size of rhoda pads you recomend?
[quote]On Jun 7, 2020, Arielhamui wrote:
Hey guys!
For FORCE-SIGHT what size of rhoda pads you recomend? [/quote]

Colin recommends the Rhodia Head Stapled Pad, No11 here: https://www.amazon.com/Rhodia-Staplebound-Notepads-sheets-Orange/dp/B00A6VSH4O/ref=pd_sim_229_1/142-6881562-5266721?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00A6VSH4O&pd_rd_r=48140a16-f976-4e08-b38e-072cc1cb1aab&pd_rd_w=2iirC&pd_rd_wg=XThIX&pf_rd_p=3c412f72-0ba4-4e48-ac1a-8867997981bd&pf_rd_r=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D&psc=1&refRID=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D
[quote]On Jun 7, 2020, Nigel Quinn wrote:
Hey guys!

Colin recommends the Rhodia Head Stapled Pad, No11 here: https://www.amazon.com/Rhodia-Staplebound-Notepads-sheets-Orange/dp/B00A6VSH4O/ref=pd_sim_229_1/142-6881562-5266721?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00A6VSH4O&pd_rd_r=48140a16-f976-4e08-b38e-072cc1cb1aab&pd_rd_w=2iirC&pd_rd_wg=XThIX&pf_rd_p=3c412f72-0ba4-4e48-ac1a-8867997981bd&pf_rd_r=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D&psc=1&refRID=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D [/quote]

I bought the Rhodia pads but the bottom line is much bigger than looks in your tutorial... is the A7 or n11 fid you have any recomendation or did I'm getting in wrong?
Thanks in advance
Arielhamui - Iíve found the bottom line can vary from pad to pad. I havenít had any issue with it.

However - I have noticed a smaller gap between the bottom line and the bottom of the page on the graph paper pads. This may also sound odd, but Iíve also found less of a gap on the black covered pads. Unfortunately, without the luxury of looking through a pile of them, were locked into what we can get delivered. All is not lost! Give your book a try, you shouldnít have issues with it. To preserve methodology, Iím going to pm you a tip.
[quote]On Jun 12, 2020, Demitri wrote:
Arielhamui - Iíve found the bottom line can vary from pad to pad. I havenít had any issue with it.

However - I have noticed a smaller gap between the bottom line and the bottom of the page on the graph paper pads. This may also sound odd, but Iíve also found less of a gap on the black covered pads. Unfortunately, without the luxury of looking through a pile of them, were locked into what we can get delivered. All is not lost! Give your book a try, you shouldnít have issues with it. To preserve methodology, Iím going to pm you a tip. [/quote]

Having the blackones can say that is the same! But here in the uk are quite cheap... less than a pound so will order a few and see
[quote]On Jun 7, 2020, Nigel Quinn wrote:
Hey guys!

Colin recommends the Rhodia Head Stapled Pad, No11 here: https://www.amazon.com/Rhodia-Staplebound-Notepads-sheets-Orange/dp/B00A6VSH4O/ref=pd_sim_229_1/142-6881562-5266721?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00A6VSH4O&pd_rd_r=48140a16-f976-4e08-b38e-072cc1cb1aab&pd_rd_w=2iirC&pd_rd_wg=XThIX&pf_rd_p=3c412f72-0ba4-4e48-ac1a-8867997981bd&pf_rd_r=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D&psc=1&refRID=SDHCD7ZB43FKXPD0C34D [/quote]

Don't bother about that. Its just a commercial break. Colin himself states that he actually uses diy index cards bunch and clearly talks about the advantages in that. And rhoda is a bad fit for this, imo. You can see how its jaws just refuse to shut and Colin has to make an effort hold it shut always.

I am taking the index cards route. But if you insist on using a pad, this should be a better fit, as it looks more organic or normal.
https://forcepads.co.uk/

Force sight though is a brilliant power horse and can be taken in many new directions.
During the web session for pro package purchasers, I shared ideas on how to do this effect with spiral bound notepads. I also have index card and versions with other materials that have added features. While I also have about 10 Rhodia pads, in various sizes, I use an alternate version that can be done closeup with groups as small as 5 or 6. Just think it through.
I also liked these downloads. A lot of good thinking.
I have read a lot of Colin's material in the past and one area that he has contributed to that isn't mentioned in the downloads is his use of the sa**d* gimmick. I hope he releases a product dedicated to his tips and routines with that tool alone...

Again, appreciated his thoughts, routining, etc. Hope to see him perform live some day.

--
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Colin has just released a brand new digital download: CYBER SECRETS https://www.psych-artist.com/store. If you havent already, I encourage you to check out Colins excellent Cyber Mentalist show, theyíre held every Saturday at 1pm and 7pm pacific time.
Very kind sir!

❤️
[quote]On Jun 27, 2020, Nigel Quinn wrote:
Colin has just released a brand new digital download: CYBER SECRETS https://www.psych-artist.com/store. If you havent already, I encourage you to check out Colins excellent Cyber Mentalist show, theyíre held every Saturday at 1pm and 7pm pacific time. [/quote]

Attended Colin's show tonight.

What an amazing performer! Highly recommended.
Message: Posted by: Corporate Magician (Jul 8, 2020 05:21AM)
Hi

For those that are interested Colin is only going to be performing a few more of 'The Cyber Mentalist' online shows for the time being and if you're interested in watching the show you can find out more information by visiting either of the following website links.

https://www.psych-artist.com/cyber

https://www.CyberMentalist.com

Regards

EC

Corporate Logo Graphic Designer
https://www.facebook.com/corporatelogographicdesigner
"Imaginative, professional, a perfectionist and very easy to work with!" - Colin McLeod
Hey guys! Thank you so much for the amazing response to this already. I've just updated it and added some Mentalism ideas as well as some magic ones. So anyone who already had it, simply email at the purchase invoice address and I'll send you a fresh link for the update.

Also make sure you join the forum on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/219076365953946/?ref=share
where we can continue to share ideas and I'll post more as I create them ... I'll just ask for your order number to confirm it against your name for entry.

Cyber Secrets is available at: www.psych-artist.com/store
You can watch the trailer here: https://youtu.be/zL0xbGQArOM

Much love,
Colin

PS: Very kind of people to check out my virtual show too! It's been a great chance to hone all the material I perform at private events. Only three left to go!