(Close Window)
Topic: Harpacrown 2!! Mark Chandaue
I was fortunate enough to be sent a sneak preview of Harpacrown 2. Incredibly, this isn’t even all of the contents of the book! In fact, this is probably only 2/3 of what will be the finished product. But I thought it would be a nice teaser for you guys to whet the appetite for what’s to come.

The descriptions of the effects below are in Mark’s own words from the pages of his new book. My thoughts follow each description when appropriate.

Poison Pin: The performer explains that he is often asked if he can guess people’s pin codes. As it would be unethical for the performer to reveal the participant’s real pin he asks them to generate a random pin. He then proceeds to reveal the pin and other information such as the participant’s star sign.

Mark adds some nice subtleties in this routine which give the spectator a genuine choice after creating a random number. This subtly makes the effect feel more fair and certainly adds a layer of deception. It’s nothing exciting/revolutionary in terms of method, but is a nice dressing up of a principle we all know and love. When you read it you will probably ask yourself why you didn’t think of that.

Routining and Scripting: A chapter devoted to why you should script your shows and includes discussions about Consistency, Timing, Confidence, Stage fright, and even the science behind what makes a deceptive script/routine.

I found the insight in this chapter to be very valuable. Mark shares a couple of examples of scripts and routining that takes some traditional effects and makes them 100% his. If you utilize the concepts and techniques discussed here, your show will be better because of it. It won’t be easy! It will take hard work and deep thought, but in the end, your performance will resonate with audiences on a different level. I was also really intrigued by the science he discusses and how it relates to magic. I totally agree with his statement. If you’ve seen Nate Staniforth’s “Making Tricks into Magic” then I think you will be fascinated by the science behind one of Nate’s key principles. This chapter alone could change your entire career if you take it to heart.

Chandaulopes: This section details how to make a two way out, four way out, or six way out envelope.

This is perhaps what Mark is most known for. Pros all over the world have been using and praising the chandaulopes since their conception. These additional ideas take it to the next level allowing for more outs without much more work to build.

What’s Mine is Mine: The entire audience play a game of which hand. The winner is invited to the stage where the performer displays two envelopes, one red, and one green. The performer explains that one of these envelopes is for the participant and it is their job to choose the right one. The envelope is chosen by the participant and opened. It appears that the participant selected the correct envelope. After some further business the contents of the other envelope are shown to be identical to the one selected by the participant. Finally in a surprising manner the performer proves that the participant really did pick the correct envelope.

This is the whimsical style you can expect from Mark. The routine is simple to do, but fun to be part of as you watch the shenanigans unfold. I would consider this Mark’s take on the sucker punch plot with some mentalism flair.

ESPecially for You: The performer displays four envelopes, each decorated with a different E.S.P. symbol. He explains that the contents of each of these envelopes could change the participant’s life, but one more than the others. The participant is asked to select one of the E.S.P. symbols. The envelope bearing this symbol is placed down in full view. Each of the other envelopes are opened and shown to include a reading related to the type of person that selects that symbol and some advice that might improve such a person’s life. The selected envelope is opened and found to contain a reading that simply states “The person that selects this sign is born lucky.” In addition to the reading, this envelope also contains a lottery ticket which the participant is given to keep.

As Mark says in the book, “I’ve always loved the idea of Bank Night effects but too many are based on the ‘I win – You lose’ premise. This really doesn’t fit with the experience I want to give to my audiences. The beauty of mentalism is it allows you to make the performance about the spectator rather than the performer. The ‘I’m clever – you are dumb’ or as I see it the ‘I’m a dick!’ undertone of many bank night presentations really pushed me to create my own. Another objective is that I wanted the unselected envelopes to have a little more meaning than simply ‘It’s not here.’”

I think he perfectly accomplished what he set out to do. Again, the method is easy. All of the value lies in the routining and structure.

Broken Heart Out: The broken heart out system isn’t an effect, it’s a tool that can be used to enhance an effect such as allowing you to get the first letter in a book test without any apparent fishing. For example, during a book test the participant selects a random word from a book. The performer asks the participant to think of the first letter of the word. The performer writes a letter on a business card and then changes his mind, tears the card in half and drops the torn pieces in his pocket. The performer then writes a new letter on a second card. As he tables the card, he asks the participant to reveal the letter they are thinking of. When the participant reveals the letter, the performer turns over the business card and boom, he is right!! Or more commonly the performer will respond that he should have stuck with his first instinct as he removes the torn pieces from his pocket revealing that the first letter that he wrote was indeed correct. This system is not limited to book tests.

This was inspired by Peter Turner’s idea, but Mark’s take eliminates the need for the special skill Pete’s method involves which makes this well within anyone’s grasp. The method is totally different, but the underlying effect is the same. The only downsides to this version is you are slightly limited to what you can reveal, and you can only do this when you’re prepared to do it—it’s not an impromptu piece. With some creativity, you can use this for a world of effects.

Gone Fishing: An envelope is displayed, and a member of the audience selects a hand of cards by eliminating cards in a very fair manner until only six remain. The participant is asked to select one card from this hand and discard the rest; this is a completely free choice. Before the participant reveals their card the performer removes a single card from the envelope that has been on display the entire time. The envelope is shown to be otherwise empty. The card matches the participant’s card.

This is a utility method to force six cards in an extremely fair manner. What you do from there depends on you. However, Mark explains three routines with a poker deck to get you started. Then Mark expounds on this and uses this method to demonstrate how changing the premise and props can create a myriad of effects, each one vastly different than the last (the next two chapters use the same method but create totally different effects.) I believe this is a core principle of this entire book. From these three back-to-back chapters, you can gain inspiration for creating your own routines using methods you already know. This entire book is a journey into this idea, and if you read between the lines in these chapters, you will see that even if you don’t perform a single effect from the book “as is,” you can use the underbelly of the method to create someone totally new that fits you and your style.

Countdown Booktest: The performer offers to demonstrate how an oracle can be used to predict the future. A participant is selected at random by throwing a paper ball into the audience. A set of alphabet cards is displayed and shown to be different. The performer explains that to use the oracle, cards must be selected at random. The participant selects a hand of cards by eliminating cards in a very fair manner until only six remain. The participant is invited on to the stage where he is asked to select a book to be used. He is then asked to select another participant by throwing out the paper ball. The second participant is invited to open the book to a page randomly selected by the first participant and note the first word on the page. The first participant is asked to make a word with the letter cards that he selected earlier. Both participants reveal their words and both have the word ‘BEFORE’. The performer reveals that the alphabet cards were not the oracle, the paper ball was the oracle. The performer opens up the paper ball to reveal it has the word ‘BEFORE’ printed on it.

As stated, this uses the same method from the previous trick disguised as a book test. There’s a lot going on in the routine, but I think seeing it performed wouldn’t feel like too much is happening. Essentially, randomly selected cards spell a randomly selected word from a book, and that word was predicted. The method is simple and solid, and reading this already begins to show you how much an effect can change just by varying the presentation, premise, and props.

Scrabbled: The performer offers to show how he uses his abilities in the real world. He explains that he sucks at Scrabble® but uses his abilities to give himself an advantage. He offers to demonstrate using the Scrabble® card game. The performer draws a grid showing all the possible scores, assuming no bonuses or or double word scores, from an initial Scrabble® hand. He explains that if he can intuit the score that his opponent will get, he can easily identify how many chances there are to beat that score and can select his own word accordingly. A participant is chosen by throwing out a paper ball into the audience. The person that catches this ball is asked to select a hand of Scrabble® letters at random and to form the best word possible with those letters. Once the participant has created a word the performer asks the participant to add up their score then close their eyes and repeat that score in their head. Once the participant’s eyes are closed the performer circles one of the numbers in the grid. The participant is asked to call out their score and it matches the circled number. The performer asks how many letters the participant has left over. They reply that there are none left over, all the letters were used. The performer states that this highlights the fatal flaw in his plan. If all the letters in a player’s hand are used, this is called a Scrabble® or a Bingo which scores an additional 50 points. Those points are added to the participant’s score. The participant is asked to call out their new total. The performer states that fortunately whilst he sucks at Scrabble® he is pretty good at math. He proceeds to reveal the grid as a magic square where every row, column, diagonal etc adds up to the participants total score. He asks the participant to return the paper ball and then asks for their word. The paper ball is opened to reveal their word printed on the inside.

This is our last look at the forcing method. This time it uses scrabble cards and an added magic square. I think there are some nice twists throughout the routine. Again, it’s a lot happening, but for a confident performer who can direct the focus, this routine is sure to be an entertaining hit. Obviously, you would never use the last three chapters together in the same show, and that’s not the point. The point is to show the wide range a single method can have. So often we see a method used with a certain presentation, and then we only use that method with that presentation. This is a really inspiring look at breaking the method from the presentation. Free yourself of how “most” people do the trick, and find a way to make it your own.

Ophiuchus: After testing the participant’s intuition using the Astrological Research Society Intuition Cards the performer gives the participant a reading and correctly guesses their star sign and exact birthday.

This was a stand alone release which garnered a lot of attention in the community. The basic method is a system of ascertaining the spectators star sign through a series of intuition tests. The birthdate reveal was the thing that fooled everyone who saw it (me included!) It’s very clever indeed, and the explanation is incredibly in depth showing you every possible outcome. There are three versions of the effect taught. Basic: you reveal their star sign intermediate: you reveal their star sign and birthdate advanced: you reveal their star sign and the star sign of two other people

Name and Space: The performer explains that it is difficult to be a mind reader in the modern world because so much information is available online. For example, if the performer were to ask someone to think of their best friends name it would be too easy for them to have researched it online. However if the performer had no idea of what type of information a person was thinking of he would be unable to research it in advance. The performer introduces some cards with many topics that a person could think of such as names, dates places. He invites two participants to select a random card and asks each to think of the topic written on that card. The performer is able to divine the type of information that each participant is thinking of and the specific thoughts they each have in their minds.

This is a very clever reveal of two thoughts. Mark has done some really clever things with this method which allow you some incredible freedom and extra deceptiveness. The combination of principles is really great; the combination Mark uses cancels out the method the audience may be assuming. This is one of the standouts to me. I think a lot of people will love this direct mind reading with clever methods AND it’s easy to do!? What’s not to love?

The Present: The performer explains that he wanted to buy a present but because he is terrible at making decisions, he created a book of choices. He explains that it started as a book of gift ideas but it was so helpful that he now uses it to make all of his decisions. He displays a pad and shows that the pages contain choices of gifts, budgets, holiday destinations, restaurants etc. After the pages are shown to be all different, a member of the audience is asked to select a budget and a gift. The performer ask’s the participant if they are happy with both choices but the participant is not completely happy with the budget. The performer allows the participant to choose another budget and this time the participant is happy. The selected budget is revealed as £25 and the present is a scented candle. The performer opens the gift box that has been in view the whole time and removes a scented candle. The candle has a large price tag showing £20 rather than the £25 selected by the participant. The performer turns the candle around to show a label that say’s “Reduced from £25”. The performer then reaches into the gift box and removes his £5 change.

This is a lovely way to present a gift to a spectator. I think it would work nicely for a stage performer after using a spectator in a routine with DR or any kind of Instant Stooging. It will keep them on stage a bit longer, give them a gift, and involve them in a final magical moment. I think this would significantly increase the chances of them keeping their mouth shut ;) The method is what you assume it is, however, Mark again adds a subtle rouse that allows for a double force. The clever thing here is the routining which makes it seem like the spectator is the one who decides she wants to change the budget (which she really is.) It seems spur of the moment and totally unpredictable. A truly great moment and lovely routine.

Eskimos: *This the only description I am intentionally leaving blank*

Essentially, this is Mark’s method of forcing a number. The reason for not including Mark’s description here is because the description gives away the routining, and I genuinely think this is one of the best routines in the book, and giving away his routine would be a shame because it is hilarious, entertaining, and very fooling. If you can’t tell, I absolutely love the structure of this. I love that Mark doesn’t just reveal the number, instead, there’s some great comedy gold as it goes from an incorrect prediction, to a sad attempt at salvaging the situation, to a really surprising finish that the original prediction was correct in the first place. This is going to be the one everyone is doing before long. Plus, the method Mark uses of forcing the number is incredibly clever and fooling. He teaches three methods, the final of which is his baby. It is a combination of two very old forcing techniques, but used in combination, the technique becomes virtually impossible to backtrack. It also uses a LOT of people. At least 12 people take part in naming numbers. These numbers are added by the entire audience on their cellphones, and yet you’ve sneakily forced the total. It’s great, it’s fooling, it’s simple, it’s the thing people will start using immediately. And even though there were three chapters devoted to making a routine your own, I think the routine Mark provides is such an entertaining premise, many people will perform it verbatim.

Berglas and the Medallion: The performer hands out a large envelope and a small envelope at the start of the show. At the appropriate moment in the show, the audience are asked to all think of a playing card. The performer asks six spectators to call out the card they are thinking of. These are noted down on a clipboard. The performer has the person holding the large envelope bring it to the stage. He asks the audience if they would be impressed if the envelope contains those six cards. The envelope is opened, and a jumbo deck of cards is removed. The performer points out that those six cards indeed are somewhere in there. The audience are not impressed.
The performer explains that the chances of him getting one of those cards right would be 52-1, the chances of getting two correct, would be 52-1 times 51-1. He states that he would have more chance of winning the lottery than predicting all six cards. He tells the audience that he bought a lottery ticket which is currently in the small envelope being held by the spectator. The performer retrieves the envelope from the spectator whilst handing him the clipboard. The performer points out that each of the playing cards has a number from 1-52 written on the back so the order of the cards is set in stone. Likewise, the numbers on the lottery ticket were set in stone when the ticket was purchased. The participant is asked to deal down to the card at the position of the first number on the lottery ticket and place it to one side. This is repeated for the other five numbers on the ticket. The participant is asked to hold the six cards he dealt to in a fan as if playing poker. The performer asks for the first card listed on the clipboard to be called out. One by one the cards in the participant’s hand are shown to be the named cards.

This is a strange combination of ACAAN and the Lottery Prediction. I have no doubt many performers would be fooled badly if they saw this. Audiences don’t stand a chance. The method is wonderful and simple to execute, and layered to the point of leaving the audience with no where to turn to explain it. It creates a nice intrigue with the two envelopes and using the jumbo deck ensures everyone can see the ending. You may ask, “why not just do a lottery prediction?” In the book, Mark explains that he used to do just that, but because of the popularity of lottery predictions on street magic specials, AGT, BGT, Fool Us, etc, audiences grew bored of the lottery prediction by itself. They knew that you would be successful as soon as they start naming numbers. So, many years ago, Mark set out to find a solution. He came up with a way to disguise the lottery effect so that people wouldn’t see it coming. The only problem was that he was using an expensive piece of technology, and sometimes, it would fail. He could never come up with a good solution for when the technology failed, so instead, he scraped the technology and built it from the ground up. This is what is provided here. It hides the lottery effect from the audience. They don’t expect it, and because they don’t expect it, it hits them much harder than a traditional Lottery Prediction on its own.

Wrapping up, I think Mark has provided solid routines that have clearly been worked. The structure of the routines are always sound, and the methods are always simple and deceptive. Mark clearly has an eye for adding twists and subtleties that enhance every piece of mentalism. This is a great look into his mind. His essays and philosophy on making your tricks/presentations original to you will inspire you to take a deep dive into your own performances. If you have Harpacrown, you will know what to expect from this book. Mark’s writing style is very casual and there’s humor thrown in throughout. There are many times I’ll read a line or two that Mark has written and I can’t help but smile at his wit and charm. As for the material, this is one of the rare occasions where the material in this second book is just as strong (maybe even stronger) than the material in the first book. I certainly found myself attracted to more of the routines in this book than Harpacrown, and I think buyers will feel the same way. And remember... this isn’t even all of the material that will be in the book! You could buy it as is, and you would be happy with your purchase. The fact that there’s loads more on the way is exciting, and even more of a reason to get your wallet ready for when this is finally released.

Madison
Thanks for your review! What’s is the estimated release date?
I am aiming for end of June. I am a little behind as I was very ill with covid 19 for a few weeks and recovery has been a little slower than I would like but I am back to writing now.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 21, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I am aiming for end of June. I am a little behind as I was very ill with covid 19 for a few weeks and recovery has been a little slower than I would like but I am back to writing now.

Mark [/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that Mark. Glad you're feeling better.

Mark [/quote]

Glad to hear you’re on the mend Mark.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 21, 2020 04:29AM)
Have a good recovery, Mark! Best wishes from Amsterdam!
Thanks for the well wishes guys and please stay safe. I can say from experience that this thing is not just another flu. However I don’t want my brush with my own mortality to take away from discussion about the book and it’s contents.

In addition to the chapters mentioned by Madison there are a couple more essays, one on building and act which should compliment the scripting chapter. One on the importance of friendships formed through this art and how they are far more valuable than money, fame or reputation. My take on Pegasus Page, Mental logs, Fourth dimensional telepathy. A major effect where the entire audience attempt to guess your pin and a theatrical variant on Marc Paul’s Human deck of cards. There is also an essay called brain farts. Rather than untested material these are stories of when my brain let me down in performance with amusing results. Although they were not necessarily amusing at the time. There is a foreword by Marc Paul, and afterword by Marc Salem and contributions from Steve Drury, Mark Elsdon, John Carey and a few others to be announced. There is also a chapter entitled bits and pieces that has items too small for their own chapter such as some alternative presentations for my Numbers effect, a one ahead subtlety, a card peek for lefties like me. How to protect yourself from people lying about their phone unlock code which is applicable to 99% of phone unlock methods and a few other bits and pieces.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Oh the Ophiuchus cards will be included. Whilst this was a commercial release I wanted to include it for completeness because the bare bones appears in the making sense of it chapter in Harpacrown. Also whilst this will be formatted in the same way as the Harpacrown Collectors Edition there may not be a softback standard edition. This is because the collectors was far more popular than the standard eedition to the point where they are all gone. I still have around 75 standards left. Sticking to a single edition keeps costs down which could lead to Harpacrown 2 being cheaper than the first one.

Mark
Oh I forgot to say thank you to Madison for such an in-depth preview.

Mark
I was a big fan of Harpacrown so I'm eager to pick up "Son of Harpacrown". Thanks Mark!!!!
Sorry to hear you have had Covid Mark and am glad you are now much better. Like many, looking forward to Harpacrown 2. The contents as described promise something special and with many treats in store.

Neil
Yes agreed Marks work is always great and I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the next chapter in the brilliant Harpacrown series .
Mark puts everything into his books and I know this will be another one that is so worth waiting for .
I met Mark through having similar interests in the art , we then became great buddy’s but his passion , knowledge and dam right helpfulness I will never forget .
He is one guy who does this for the absolute love of our art and I respect that above all over Gaz 🙂
I've been very lucky as Mark has been sending me chapters as he writes them. All I can say is that if you liked Harpacrown (and who didn't!) you'll love Harpacrown Too. It's simply more of the same. More strong, powerful, commercially tested practical material which Mark has actually used and continues to use. In a time when almost everyone who calls themselves a mentalist is also publishing material left right and centre, Mark’s material stands out for the very simple reason that it works. By that I don’t mean the methods (of course they work!) what I mean is that these are routines that work for real people. Routines that not only entertain and amaze, but engage. Engaging mentalism is what it all about, we all get tied up, and sometimes even obsessed by methods and forget the overall effect. Mark doesn’t do that, his focus is always on the experience of his audiences and they love him for it. Mark charms his audiences and I think he'll charm you too.
Just to add a little more detail. Harpacrown places a heavy focus on the why, Harpacrown Too shifts the focus to the how. Not how as in methods although of course methods are included but rather how to present. As such it includes very little in new methods but quite a lot in new twists on old methods and repurposing methods by shifting the props and premise. Ophiuchus is included for completeness as the concept was originally explored in the making sense of it all chapter in Harpacrown. The Ophiuchus cards will be included and there is likely to be an additional crib card included which I don’t use myself but some may benefit from.

Whilst the effects in both books are strong, practical, workable audience tested routines they are designed to illustrate the underlying principles that are discussed in the essays across both volumes. It is my intention that the two books will compliment each other to give the readers a solid set of tools to enhance their own performances and create their own material and presentations.

Mark

Mark [/quote]

Sorry to hear that, I hope you are well now.

I expect you recover totally and good.

Cristóbal
Best wishes from Chile!!!
Glad to hear you’re on the mend Mark. Really interested in a few bits mentioned above, the lotto plot has always interested me so would be interesting to see how you have disguised it!
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your interest. In this particular case it is essentially a lottery prediction via the back door. Mind you I also have a few different takes on my Numbers lottery prediction from Harpacrown in volume 2 as well. Progress is moving along and I am currently working on the building an act chapter of the book which is probably the hardest chapter to write.

Mark
Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to this!!
I have just completed the most difficult chapter of the book to write ... Building an Act. I would like a few people to review this chapter and the Routining and scripting chapter. In my opinion these will be two of the stand out chapters in the book for people planning on putting together a platform or stage show. These are fairly large and comprehensive essays and combined are close to 15000 words, some of which are funny. It is my intention that these essays are entertaining to read whilst still being informative. I am looking for people willing to give a reasonably detailed review rather than simply “I read the chapters and they were good”.

Let me know if you are interested and I will select a few people to review the chapters.

Mark
[quote]On Jun 21, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I have just completed the most difficult chapter of the book to write ... Building an Act. I would like a few people to review this chapter and the Routining and scripting chapter. In my opinion these will be two of the stand out chapters in the book for people planning on putting together a platform or stage show. These are fairly large and comprehensive essays and combined are close to 15000 words, some of which are funny. It is my intention that these essays are entertaining to read whilst still being informative. I am looking for people willing to give a reasonably detailed review rather than simply “I read the chapters and they were good”.

Let me know if you are interested and I will select a few people to review the chapters.

Mark [/quote]

I’d be willing to give it a read and provide some feedback if you want.
Based on the lack of interest I have decided to drop those 2 chapters from the book. It seems that the market for those topics isn’t there. I may add some other content in their place or I may just make it a smaller book.

Mark
I think that you should reconsider.. :-)
Yeah definitely reconsider Mark, I would have loved to read the chapter but feel I’m not experienced enough to give any decent feedback, but can’t wait to give it a read when you’re done.
Reconsider.

Now!

:)
There were over 200 views of the thread and only two people interested in the chapters. If I can’t give them away for free that doesn’t bode well for a premium priced book. One review copy has gone out, lets see what comes back from that.

Mark
[quote]On Jun 22, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
There were over 200 views of the thread and only two people interested in the chapters. If I can’t give them away for free that doesn’t bode well for a premium priced book. One review copy has gone out, lets see what comes back from that.

Mark [/quote]

Hi Mark! I will be more than glad to read and review these chapters in depth for you :)
[quote]On Jun 22, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

Mark [/quote]

The issue from my end was (like others suggested above), I'm not sure I have the requisite experience to review such a chapter (I'm not a professional, I'm not doing stage shows). I'm sure it would be an interesting read, but my initial impression was that since you were looking for people to give thorough reviews of such essays/chapters, I would be a poor choice, and didn't want to clutter your inbox. I'm still interested in what you wrote -- I just didn't think I could do a review justice (or would feel like something of a poseur in trying to write one).
Mark, you should definately include that chapter because its a subject missing in most mentalism material. People can't find something to be valuable if they don't get to know it first. It seems like people might not have shown interest now but it could also become the best chapter from the book once people buy-read the whole book.
Can I review the chapters?

I am currently researching this area - so my mind is primed in this direction.

Cheers!

Joe Mckay
Like a couple of others on here, I’ve been lucky enough to preview a few chapters of the upcoming Harpacrown 2 and can already attest to how great it’s going to be. The latest chapter Building An Act has only solidified my confidence even more. More than just a guideline into creating a show, the essay explains in depth how to approach each step, what considerations to take along the way and the thinking behind each and very piece of advise. The chapter creates an understanding of the individual parts to an act and how to use them to create something that as a whole becomes bigger than the sum of its parts. And all of this is written with Mark’s signature humour and clarity.
Harpacrown 2 Chapter review: Building an Act

Review disclaimer: a copy was provided at no cost and despite living in London (with Mark being in the next county) we have never met. I have no experience of Mark's previous work.

I asked if I could review this chapter as it is an area that I am interested in, as I would like to do more around act development/building. As a part time magician with over 15 years of experience performing 95%+ close up, over the years, I have seen the value in developing and building an act. I have performed some stand up, but still have much to learn (I also have a growing interest in mentalism). I have read/watched other material on developing an act and/or transitioning to stand up, including Ian Kendall (Taking the Step), Scott Alexander (Standing up on stage), various lectures plus a few books that discuss acts (e.g. Morgan & West).

This chapter is about 14 pages and despite Mark's warning about the need for further proof reading, I found it very easy to read with no obvious typos. The writing style conveys experience, a lack of overt ego and a dash of welcome humour that does not detract from the points being made. The challenge I have is in describing this chapter, while not exposing the detail of what it contains. Mark does use some stage terminology, but helpfully provides explanations for those who don't know. For anyone expecting a silver bullet that will solve all their act building issues, they are missing the point about the need for actual experience and listening to the audience.

As a magician, I enjoy mentalism but am not sure about 'mind reading as real' presentations. However, the elements of Mark's humour that are apparent throughout the work, put me at ease. He also discusses believability (and references one of Cassidy's theories on 'more ability' vs 'believability') which has (in my opinion) parallels in magic, particularly with regards to building the relationship with your audience and maintaining/building interest.

Initial points are scored as Mark talks what sort of act you want to build and how it links into what sort of work you would like to do (something not commonly discussed). He then talks about the reality of performing and how the act must be adaptable (which most close up performers will vouch for). Unless you are so successful that your rider demands that the bowl of M&Ms has all the blue ones removed, along with fresh Yak's milk in your dressing room, the advice Mark gives really does seem to have a healthy dose of reality, hard won from significant experience. Mark recruits another Mark, well a Marc Paul actually, to discuss some of the differences when performing an act on a cruise ship. This adds some texture and additional value without breaking the flow.

Mark then looks at the structure of the act, its backbone and what he wants each element to achieve. Not in massive detail, but with enough content to get you thinking. For example, his thoughts on a closer and a closing statement certainly made me stop and reflect. Mark talks about likeability and (loosely) references some academic work, which added some further depth to the conversation and seemed to demonstrate either emotional intelligence or perhaps life experience, particularly when talking about likeability in the presence of a**holes.

Transitions and 'nested effects' are discussed as are call backs and Mark provides an overview of his own closer as a way of illustrating his points. Being blunt, his closer's structure and build really impressed me. It had a 'The Usual suspects' type finish (sorry for the film reference!), in the way that elements of the show would all come together for a surprising climax. In some ways, it was almost Jerx-ian in terms of how I thought the audience/participants would be engaged (readers of the Jerx/Andy's 'Thinking Of You: the Decision Artist' might particularly appreciate this). Other topics including dead time and rhythm are touched upon, as are call backs and kickers. While talking about humour, Mark shares a tip on 'learning by osmosis' which really made sense for performers of all types (again, I would like to say more, but its Mark's to share).

Constructive cons: 14 pages covers quite a lot, but as Harpacrown 2 is not all about building an act, the chapter is out of necessity, fairly brief in a few areas. While this is not a negative, Mark does make it very clear at the beginning and end of the chapter that building an act will still require thinking and a lot of hard work - some people may be hoping for a easy, surefire route map to success, but I doubt that any such thing exists.

Pros: although this review is about 'just' one chapter in a book, Mark shares a breath of knowledge that has clearly been gained through experience, which is conveyed via a well written and occasionally amusing style. While it's not an exhaustive treatment of act building (such as Scott Alexander's 6+ DVDs on the subject), it is very accessible, thought provoking and a good use of your time. This is not just for those wanting to build an act, as based on some of the shows I've seen, I suspect that it may also be a very useful reference for those who are willing to assess and reflect on their current act. Close up workers - it may also make you think about your 'world' as well. The chapter finishes with some suggested reading with a few notes on why he recommends it which is another nice touch.

Summary: Its one chapter from a book, but I enjoyed it and will go back to it as it contains a broad spread of good advice and some real 'nuggets'. For a person I don't know, after 14 pages I have come to suspect that Mark's a genuine, very knowledgeable person who is willing to share and cares very much about his art.

Charlie
Thanks for those great reviews. I just want to point out that the building an act chapter is currently 14 pages of A4 so it will likely be 20 or more pages in the book as the book is smaller than A4.

Also based on the fact that the lack of responses were because people didn’t feel qualified rather than a lack of interest I think that these chapters definitely need to be in the book.

Mark
I absolutely love Marks books and already have both Harpacrown and Totally Free Will .
I am eagerly anticipating the release of Harpacrown 2 and I can’t wait to read every single one of its
chapters .
Marks contributions always show his massive passion for the art , his experience from working this stuff out there in the real world trenches and also his warm charm that always brings a smile to my face when I read them .
I highly recommend both his earlier releases and I am certain Harpacrown 2 will be a great success too .
Good magic to all Gaz 🙂
Hey Mark,

Hope you are well.....

Just a thought, but I would add a lil footnote to the lottery thing, stating to buy TWO of the same tickets, one to give away and one to keep, you know, just in case it hits. Stole that idea from David Penn.... lol!!

Plus I am bored at work and just found this thread somehow..... Very much looking forward to this

Take care,

-J-
Haha It was me that gave the idea to David. I’m pretty sure I posted it in the CUPP owners group a few years back.

Mark
NICE!!!! lol....

that's why your amazing my man!!
So, as I had promised Mark, I've read and digested the two chapters he had sent over promptly :) Without further ado, here is my impressions of the material contained in the two chapters.

The first chapter is his chapter on building an act. This chapter tackles a subject that is actually very dense (seeing how we have entire full length books on this very topic which has been published throughout the years, the most prominent title dealing with this topic of course being Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment, which is now available in a expanded 2.0 version). One may wonder how Mark Chandau was able to condense a topic which takes entire full length books to explore it in a measly ~20 pages. The answer to that question is that he doesn't. The essay was clearly written to give the reader the main bullet points as well as defining certain things such as the importance of knowing your market, your venue, and how best to present your material as well as the structure of your material in the context of your show as a whole. Again, these are mainly bullet points with some very good ideas being tipped along the way which he has picked up either himself or from others. This was a great chapter to get ones mental gears turning as well as acting as a lead for further exploration of the performers and material mentioned in the essay.

What would I like to have seen more in the first chapter I was sent? More personal anecdotes to use for illustrative purposes for the points discussed!

The second chapter I was sent is on scripting and routining. As if Mark was able to preemptively discern my impression of the previous chapter, he's added a fair amount of anecdotes to illustrate his point here! In fact, he gives you pretty much his full scripts for some of his material along with why he had constructed his scripts and routining the way he has. This includes the full details such as scripting for what your physical actions should be. This chapter is a very interesting chapter and needless to say, Mark generously shares his scripting for some of his material here not so that others can regurgitate his scripts verbatim but instead to help readers analyze the process and leave away with ideas and seeds of how to apply some of his process into their own material. This was quite an excellent chapter in my opinion. My criticism here of course would be that I wish more personal examples were used in the prior chapter like they were used in the scripting chapter, so that readers can have better insight into some of the things Mark has tweaked in his career as well as problems he has encountered in order for the reader to be better equipped with troubleshooting their own attempts at building their own acts. Understandably, this would probably blow that chapter up in length but alas, wishful thinking :)
I can understand you wanting more but my goal in this chapter was to give away just enough to allow the reader to forge their own path. As you can see in that particular chapter I give away one of my closers and one of my bookends. when combined with the scripting chapter you also get a centrepiece routine. Then of course throughout the book you get several of my signature routines that I still use to this day including Eskimos and Berglas and the Medallion reviewed above. Many of the examples you are looking for are peppered throughout the book. Whilst the building an act essay brings a lot of the points together in one place, the concepts discussed are visible throughout the structure of the routines in the book.

The focus of Harpacrown was on the why. Harpacrown 2 shifts the focus onto the how. How to structure routines, how to present them, how to make them entertaining, how to change the props and presentation to make a completely different effect. At one point I take a card trick and show how to present it as a prediction, synchronicity, a straight mind read and a multiple participant mind read. Then I turn the same effect into a book test and finally into a magic square.

In some cases I take things you already know and demonstrate how to use them in a different way to squeeze more out of them. Whilst the two books can happily stand alone, they combine to provide a good grounding in both the how and the why. My intent with the effects in both books is not to simply provide audience tested practical routines but rather to provide routines that illustrate the how and why concepts discussed in the essays and give the reader the tools to become more creative.

I did consider writing an essay on the creative process but when I analysed it my creative process comes down to two key questions. What are the problems I need to solve? How do I make this entertaining? The detail behind that can be found in the essays across the two books, particularly ‘Making Sense of it All’ and ‘WWPTD’ in Harpacrown and ‘Routining and Scripting’ and ‘Building an Act’ in Harpacrown 2.

Mark
[quote]On Jun 24, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I can understand you wanting more but my goal in this chapter was to give away just enough to allow the reader to forge their own path. As you can see in that particular chapter I give away one of my closers and one of my bookends. when combined with the scripting chapter you also get a centrepiece routine. Then of course throughout the book you get several of my signature routines that I still use to this day including Eskimos and Berglas and the Medallion reviewed above. Many of the examples you are looking for are peppered throughout the book. Whilst the building an act essay brings a lot of the points together in one place, the concepts discussed are visible throughout the structure of the routines in the book.

The focus of Harpacrown was on the why. Harpacrown 2 shifts the focus onto the how. How to structure routines, how to present them, how to make them entertaining, how to change the props and presentation to make a completely different effect. At one point I take a card trick and show how to present it as a prediction, synchronicity, a straight mind read and a multiple participant mind read. Then I turn the same effect into a book test and finally into a magic square.

In some cases I take things you already know and demonstrate how to use them in a different way to squeeze more out of them. Whilst the two books can happily stand alone, they combine to provide a good grounding in both the how and the why. My intent with the effects in both books is not to simply provide audience tested practical routines but rather to provide routines that illustrate the how and why concepts discussed in the essays and give the reader the tools to become more creative.

I did consider writing an essay on the creative process but when I analysed it my creative process comes down to two key questions. What are the problems I need to solve? How do I make this entertaining? The detail behind that can be found in the essays across the two books, particularly ‘Making Sense of it All’ and ‘WWPTD’ in Harpacrown and ‘Routining and Scripting’ and ‘Building an Act’ in Harpacrown 2.

Mark [/quote]

I figured that that may have been what you were going for (structuring and process of creating may have been covered elsewhere), but I was giving my impression based on just the chapter provided :) Like I had mentioned, I had felt that the chapter was more of a bulletpoint type ordeal meant to give ideas to lead one off on further independent study. Alas, I will have to wait for the full book to be released which I am of course anticipating as I'm a proud owner of the collector's edition of the original Harpacrown.
Any release date yet? (Hope you are fully recovered Mark)
Not yet but it is getting closer. I have four and a bit chapters left to write then I just need to get all of the illustrations and contributions.

Mark
This is the review for the 'Routining and scripting' chapter. For background to the review, see my previous chapter review here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=712448&forum=218&start=20

Scripting and routining are another area of personal interest and I have spent quite a bit of time in recent years reading 'Scripting Magic' 1&2 (McCabe), which should be in most magic libraries.

Mark starts off the 10 pages (in A4 format - more in book form) by providing a range of logical reasons why a script is essential for the stage performer, not least of which is managing your timings (which I fully agree with from my fairly limited experience of stand up). He also talks about other matters such as how scripts can help with confidence/stage fright, before reminding the reader that the script should not be followed in a wooden fashion and then (nugget alert!) providing the reader with a tip to help avoid this while increasing the chances of the script reflecting you/your character.

Mark then presents a reasoned argument for constructing your script in a certain way, which may not fit everyone, but does make sense (sorry, detail = exposure in this case). By using one of his own scripts, Mark illustrates his point well. As I was reading the example, I was reminded of my mixed views on mentalism 'abilities as real' presentations, but then almost as if he was reading my mind (groan!), Mark provided an example script from many years ago which was used when busking. Through this second example, Mark provides a commentary including script updates and applause points, before then discussing matters such as the perils of both a lack of justification and over-justification.

From this, Mark then moves into discussing a contemporary book test routine and seeks to demonstrate 'how the combination of routining and scripting a can turn an effect into a piece of theatre'. Reading through it, I would have to agree that if performed well in line with his presentation/script, it would have a strong emotional hook, be engaging and be much bigger in terms of presentation and effect than a poorly thought out 'look at me, I can read minds' presentation. Mark takes a moment to make other points such as suggesting that long scripts should be used sparingly and only after the audience have been won over.

Mark's writing style is clear, makes intelligent points and is engaging. He is also not afraid to show some range in his approach to making his points, or to use plain or 'earthy' language where it suits. On one page he may be discussing the law of parsimony and on another, he pretty much tells you not to be a muppet! (okay, I'm not giving context here but you hopefully get the point).

Constructive cons - You must remember that this is an essay, a chapter in a book. It is not Scripting Magic 3. If space allowed and Mark was so inclined, providing another example such as the book test one could further enhance this chapter. With that being said, I've not seen the rest of the book or routines, so I expect that the prospective reader may be treated to other fine examples elsewhere in the book, making this a moot point.

Pros - While perhaps my grey matter didn't get prodded quite as much as with the 'building an act' chapter, it has increased my belief that Mark certainly has the depth of knowledge, writing skills and honesty to ensure that his work is very much worth reading. In fact, I may just have to take a punt on Harpacrown 1 on payday...
Charlie
Thanks for another detailed review Charlie. Funny you should mention one further example as I originally wanted to include an additional example using a commercial effect to demonstrate how to use the routine structure to cover the requirements of the method. Unfortunately but understandably there were elements of the method that the creator wants to keep secret from those that have not purchased the effect. He did let me know which areas he wanted to keep secret and when I looked at it I felt that I couldn’t do it justice without mentioning those areas because they drive some of the structure and presentation. As much as I love that particular routine and think it would be a great example it is far more important to respect the wishes of the creator of that effect.

Many of the other routines that I felt would be perfect to demonstrate this have already been included either elsewhere in this book or in the original Harpacrown such as my IUnlock routine, my kioku presentation, my routine for Directors cut and the routine in the WWPTD essay. I am struggling to come up with other examples that haven’t already been published and that I am ready to give away.

Mark
It’s getting close. I have finished writing my chapters and am
Just waiting for the last few contributions. Since Madison’s review the following chapters have been added:

Building an Act - Essay
Paging Pegasus
Force Dimensional Telepathy
You got to have friends - Essay
Bits and Pieces
Their Intuition
Human Card Deck
Nine-Nine-One-Eight by Steve Drury
Free and Willing by John Carey

All that remains is the final 3 contributions and the photos for the illustrations and we are ready. I should have all that done and the proof reading and editing done by the end of July. Release date should be the back end of August or beginning of September depending on the printers workload.

The book is currently close to 80,000 words. I am expecting the page count to be between 300 and 400 for the Collectors Edition. I am still undecided whether there will be a softback standard edition.

Mark
[quote]On Jul 16, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

Paging Pegasus
[/quote]

Pegasus gets his own whole chapter?!? :rotf:
Excited to see what’s in store :)
Is there any news?
The book is finished from a writing perspective. The final round of proof-reading should be finished by Thursday. I will be getting the last of the photos for the illustrations this week. All being well this should be going to Phill Smith to work his magic by the weekend.

Overall I am very happy with how this has turned out and personally I think it is better than the first Harpacrown whilst complimenting that volume very well.

Mark
[b]CAN NOT WAIT![/b]
Great news Mark I can’t wait to order Gaz 👍🙂
Any news on the book?
Thanks!
It is currently with Phill Smith. As soon as he has worked his magic it will go off to the printers but I think this is quite a busy time for Phill.

The book contains 32 chapters, 24 effects, 2 utilities, 5 essays, approximately 85000 words and 125 illustrations.

I will know the page count once Phill Smith has worked his magic on the layout buy I am guessing around the 320-350 page ball park.

Mark
Correction it is now 33 chapters as Peter Turner kindly contributed an essay as well as an effect.

Mark
Thanks for the updates, Mark.

Can’t wait for it to be finished!
Is there a list that we can be added too for Pre release purchase?
I underestimated the page count by quite a bit. The book has now been formatted and comes out at 446 pages. This could go up or down slightly once the photos have been replaced with illustrations but it is going to be between 440 and 450 pages.

As soon as it is print ready and I have a delivery date I will open up pre-orders.

Mark
Mark shared more of the chapters with me.

Wow you guys are in for a treat. His “building an act” chapter is really world advice that none of the pros will tell you. It dissects what types of routines and tome limits should be performed in just about every performing circumstance. This is incredibly valuable.

The Brain Farts article will make you laugh out loud reading stories of Mark and other performers’ horror stories.

His take on Pegasus page adds an extra punch that they won’t see coming. It’s clever stuff.

Mark’s take on fourth dimensional telepathy will put the PERFORMER in control rather than the audience. It guarantees that the routine will be entertaining without losing the power of reading three minds. It also allows for a simple transition to the next routine you have planned. It’s good stuff. Simple... but good.

Bits and pieces contains some wonderful nuggets of thought. I can easily see people running with many of these ideas. Especially the “human card deck”

Plus you get a great article and effect from Peter Turner which always adds value.

And with all of the book, you will see great crediting from beginning to end. Mark takes great pride in his crediting and I wish all creators were as in depth as him.

If you liked Harpacrown 1, you’ll love this one. This is Mark’s bread and butter. This book is everything Mark wanted to keep to himself. You can tell these have been worked and you will reap the benefits of his hard work.

Madison
Thanks for the review Madison.

In addition to the chapters Madison has already reviewed there is at least one more effect and another essay from me, effects from John Carey and Mark Elsdon and an essay from Marc Spelmann. The Phill Smith magic has been applied to the layout and the illustrations are in progress. This should be going to Mr Haresign for printing soon at which point I will open up pre-orders.

I will also be offering both collectors editions as a bundle at a discounted price for a limited time. Limited by the fact that I only have around 25 Harpacrown collectors editions left.

Mark
Looking forward to this.
Any Update?
Spoke to Phill,
Illustrations will be finished either end of this week or early next. Once those are done and the cover design is done (nice and easy because it will be basically the same as Harpacrown) it will go off to the printers.

Once I have a firm delivery date I will open the pre-orders. I know quite a few people have asked to pre-order but I am not willing to take any bodies money until I can be sure they will get the product on time or at least very close to on time.

Mark
However, we have seen the standard of the the first book, I have met you and know what a good chap you are, so I would trust you with my money!!!
Meanwhile here is the ad copy for Harpacrown Too

The original Harpacrown was released in 2016 to critical acclaim. It received universally positive reviews and has found its way into the collections of many top pros. With the original Harpacrown being synonymous with practical and workable material, it’s no surprise that this one is called Harpacrown too.

Whilst the first Harpacrown focussed on the why; this volume switches the focus onto the how. How to script, how to adapt material and build new routines, how to build an act, and most importantly, how to make your Mentalism entertaining.

Both volumes combine to give you a solid grounding in both the why and the how. The effects are strong and practical and work in the real world and serve to illustrate the principles discussed in the essays.

This DELUXE COLLECTORS EDITION is a beautifully bound premium book lovingly created to look good on any shelf and last a lifetime. It contains 446 pages which includes 19 of Mark’s favourite effects, 4 essays, several utilities, and bonus chapters including contributions from:
* Mark Elsdon
* John Carey
* Marc Spelmann
* Peter Turner
The book is beautifully illustrated by Phill Smith and printed by Haresign Press and comes complete with the props for Ophiuchus.

Here’s what people are saying about HARPACROWN Too:

I think you have contributed something very important to the magic world. It's full of great advice from a real world perspective.

– Marc Paul

The book is a remarkable teaching aid and tribute, and a lesson on mentalism thinking. His mental process ( which he explains) is mind blowing.

He does it all and is honestly a thinker for our times. He understands the rhythm of the moment and exploits it with amazing results.

- Marc Salem

Mark has provided solid routines that have clearly been worked. The structure of the routines are always sound, and the methods are always simple and deceptive. Mark clearly has an eye for adding twists and subtleties that enhance every piece of mentalism.

This is a great look into his mind. His essays and philosophy on making your tricks/presentations original to you will inspire you to take a deep dive into your own performances.

As for the material, this is one of the rare occasions where the material in this second book is just as strong (maybe even stronger) than the material in the first book.

- Madison Adams Hagler
Phill Smith has worked his magic and the book is going to print this week so I can now open up the pre-orders. The book will ship on or before the 1st of December. The book can be pre-ordered here at a discounted price.

http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too-pre-order

I have also added a couple of bundle deals. Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too can be ordered together at a significant discount here although I only have 25 copies of Harpacrown left.

http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=collectors-edition-bundle-1

The final bundle is for all 3 of my collectors editions, both Harpacrown’s and Totally Free Will for a saving of £80.

http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=collectors-edition-bundle-2

I don’t currently have a bundle for just Harpacrown Too and Totally Free Will but if anyone wants that option send me a pm and I will set up a bundle for those two at a discounted price.

Mark
I don’t own TFW so a bundle for that and the latest ‘too’ would be great mate!
CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY!
[quote]On Oct 25, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
CHRISTMAS HAS COME EARLY! [/quote]

Chandaue Claus!!
I've just re-read the original Harpacrown from cover to cover and discovered so many brilliant little subtleties and pieces of real-world advice that I had missed the first time.

The greatest thing about it is the years of experiences gained in the magic trenches being transferred to the world of mentalism. The attention to detail is incredible. And it's genuinely very funny. Can't wait for the sequel. I have a feeling it's going to be more of a Godfather Part II, rather than a Speed 2!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Oct 30, 2020 04:30PM)
Too bad I am way over my magic budget; now I have to make the wife mad. Hopefully, Harpacrown Too and TFW are worth sleeping on the couch for the next three months due to an angry wife. I love the first Harpacrown so much that I will be on it happily reading and learning from these two books! Placing my order soon....
I'd be interested in TFW and Harpacrown 2 too please
The TFW and Harpacrown Too bundle is available here:

http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=collectors-edition-bundle-3

Mark
[quote]On Oct 30, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
I've just re-read the original Harpacrown from cover to cover and discovered so many brilliant little subtleties and pieces of real-world advice that I had missed the first time.

The greatest thing about it is the years of experiences gained in the magic trenches being transferred to the world of mentalism. The attention to detail is incredible. And it's genuinely very funny. Can't wait for the sequel. I have a feeling it's going to be more of a Godfather Part II, rather than a Speed 2! [/quote]
Thanks for those very kind words, that is very high praise coming from you and means the world to me.

It is always scary releasing material because you don’t know how it will be received. Whilst I know the material has served me well over the years it is impossible to gauge how it will be received by the wider community, one man’s treasure is another man’s trash. This is why in both volumes I have tried to make it about more than just the tricks. The tricks tend to serve to illustrate wider principles that, hopefully, will give the reader a good set of tools to enhance or adapt material from outside of the books. It has always been my aim to make the books fun to read as well as informative. I have too many books where I read the effect description, and if the effect is not for me, I skip the chapter entirely. My aim was to make the books enjoyable enough that people will want to read the chapter even if the effect isn’t for them. Generally within each chapter there are concepts that go beyond the effect that is being described.

Personally I think that Volume 2 is better than Volume 1 without sacrificing those elements that particularly endeared people to the first book. My writing has improved with this being the third book but it is still the same conversational style and still peppered with my personality and sense of humour. The structure is consistent throughout the book and so there is no jarring change of writing style. Even the contributions have been structured the same way as the rest of the book without changing too much of the contributor’s own writing style.

As in the first book the material is practical and workable and utilises standard mechanical methods rather than language dependant obscure psychological procedures. There are no revolutionary new fangled techniques although there are likely to be some “Why didn’t I think of that” moments and possibly a few “I wouldn’t have thought of using that in that way” moments.

The one person who has read pretty much all of it, Madison, appears to agree with me that it is a better book and Steve Haresign who has been reading the print ready file described it as “A bloody good read”. In fact Steve started out trying to proof read it and then said that he was struggling because he kept finding himself getting engrossed in reading it and forgetting to proof. He also said that it really made him want to get back out performing.

I am now in that awkward period where I can do nothing but wait until it is in people’s hands and hope that it is well received. I suspect that if you loved the first book then you will enjoy this one.

Mark
Excellent news Mark I am placing my order for Harpacrown Too ASAP .
The first Harpacrown was a joy and something I honestly love reading and re reading .
Martin makes a good point that some little bits get missed sometimes on a first read and that’s only because it was such a heart felt read with some beautiful humorous
yet poignant moments .
Totally Free Will is another gem and a treatise on a great plot and it’s fantastic that you are offering bundles for those who do not already own the first two which I can honestly say I would never part with .
I am looking forward to treating myself to an early Christmas present and I am pleased it’s finally come to fruition .
I know the way you work and I know you are truly in it for the love of the art , you have my upmost respect and support as I know this will be fantastic .
Can’t wait my friend , best wishes Gaz 😊
Just placed my order, for Collectors Edition Bundle #1.

I was one of those outlying weirdos who only got the standard edition first time out (like, how dumb was that, right..??) :D

Seth

p.s. Harpacrown Standard Edition for sale
Seth,
I am honoured that you thought Harpacrown worthy of upgrading to the Collector’s Edition. I am grateful to everyone who has pre-ordered one or more of the books. I am now down to the last 10 Harpacrown Collector’s Editions.

Mark
I am now down to the last 5 Harpacrown Collector’s editions which is kind of bitter sweet. On the one hand it’s nice for the book to sell out, on the other hand it will feel strange only having my personal copy.

I am unlikely to ever do a re-print.

On the subject of Harpacrown Too I’d like a couple of people willing to review a couple of the effects from the book.

Mark
I'd be more than happy to review an effect, I did the same for Drew Backenstoss's AOTM. I perform close up, so I'd struggle to give a performers perspective of anything for parlour or stage.
Mark sent me a few chapters to review his material. Wow! This is what I said after reading his stuff: [b]Mark has a unique way of twisting methods and presentations so that you get a lot of mileage out of them. His thinking is the type that one always says “is out of the box”. Plus he has a crazy sense of humor that makes me think he should be put in a box… and locked away.

The extra value you get in his thinking is his ability to give you variations on his themes. He will teach you a forcing method then give you countless ways of using it. If you are into Star Signs and PIN divinations, he has that too… along with his own little ideas that bring them to another level.

There is one idea in his collection that is so downright devious that it should have been written completely in BOLD and used actual gold ink to print it. I don’t want to give it away, but it uses a forcing method that we all know, but brings it to superhero quality. When I read it, I had to reread it several times. I was shocked by the simplicity and the power of the method. I’m sure many will read it with wide eyed wonder and think “C’mon! Why didn’t I think of that!!?”

Anyway, if the rest of the book has even one tenth the knowledge and ideas from the samples I read then it will blow many a mind. A real winner of a book with marvelous thinking inside.[/b]
Thanks for those very kind words Greg. I’m glad you liked the chapters I sent you.

Mark
I was kindly sent 3 chapters of Harpacrown 2. I've met Mark at one of his lectures but have no connection and so this review is totally independent.

So I started by reading Ophichus as it is an effect I was already aware of. I previously saw Mark perform this on an Alakazam video and one part totally fooled me. I bought the effect and performed the basic version for friends, but (with hindsight) didn't give it the attention that it deserves.

At its most basic, Ophiuchus is a star sign revelation. What has really impressed me is the way that the explanation of the effect is structured. Technically the basic version could be explained in a few pages but Mark offers so much more.

Right, where do I start.
This chapter includes 3 effects (standard, intermediate, advanced) with each building on the previous, allowing increasing amounts of information to be revealed by some very clever layering of methods. It includes a comprehensive history and crediting. There are memory techniques explained to use if you decide to learn the dates of each star sign (you don't need these for all versions, but its great that they are included rather than just expecting the reader to learn them on their own).

For the core method itself there are plenty of examples to aid understanding and Mark has also included character traits for each star sign. This again could be something that another author would have expected the reader the research themselves.
Last, but by no means least, there is an optional branching anagram from Peter Turner and an explanation of a devious Michael Murray principle.

At no point does the volume of information seem overkill, just more like bonus information, all injected with Mark's humour and 'easy to read' writing style. A truly comprehensive explanation.

The only question I have to ask myself is whether presentationally I would perform an effect based around star signs, as it doesn't really fit my character, however if I decide to, this will be the piece that I will choose.

Poison Pin was the second effect that Mark kindly sent me. This is a revelation of a generated pin number. Once again, not only is the effect solid and performance in the real world, but the level of depth that Mark goes into in terms of adding layers and subtleties to the method really elevates this effect. Where most people would have taken a direct route to the reveal, Mark makes it so much more fooling for the spectator.

Whilst reading the explanation I was smiling to myself and appreciating the thinking behind it, especially the explanation of number choice. The chapter is then finished by Mark once again giving a great explanation of a known force, so that nothing is missing.

This is definitely something that I will be performing, and also an approach I will consider when choosing and adapting existing effects.

The last effect I was sent is 'Name and Space', an effect where two participants select a category and the mentalist is able to divine their specific thoughts.

This is a tried and tested method with a new twist and a great presentational angle. Its the only chapter that I was sent with illustrations which are line drawings and clear to understand.

Whilst I enjoyed reading this effect, I already perform one which uses the same core method. What Mark's twist has done, though, is allowed me to add a second revelation for a very small bit of extra preparation. For me, this is a classic example of 'why didn't I think of that' and maybe my favourite part of the three chapters I was sent.

Overall, of the three chapters I was sent, one I will be trying out and another I will be adding to a routine of mine. The jury is still out for the star sign reveal, but as I've said above, that's because of my personal taste rather than the effect.

I was already excited to read Harpacrown 2, but seeing these chapters has really pushed it to the top of my Christmas list!
Thanks for the review Pixelated and I’m glad you found my writing style both comprehensive and easy to read. My biggest goal was making the book as enjoyable to read as it is informative.

Thanks again to everyone that has pre-ordered. I will be receiving these next Thursday and they will start shipping on Friday so U.K. orders should hopefully be arriving before the release date of 1st December. International orders will take a little longer to arrive but hopefully most of the pre-orders will land very close to release day.

Regards,

Mark
Great news Mark I have preordered and have been excited in anticipation for this release ever since are knew you were doing a sequel to Harpacrown .
It’s not only the attention to detail you bring to your books , but it’s also the relaxed humorous style and easy reading that I absolutely love too .
Finally it’s the real world tried and tested approaches and the layering with extra nuances that make everything so easily fit with every performers personality with no compromises on method .
So many books are one size fits all which doesn’t always work but you have crossed all those bridges and ticked all those boxes and this sort of approach is golden imho .
I am looking forward to a great early Christmas present with Harpacrown Too and I highly recommend all Mark’s books to any level of performer . Good magic to all Gaz 😊
Cheers Gaz, I hope the book lives up to your expectations. These are being delivered Thursday and will start shipping Friday. Covid post permitting these should start landing on people’s doorsteps on Saturday. International orders will take a little longer to arrive but most pre-orders should be delivered close to the official release day 1st December when the pre-order special price will end.

Mark
[quote]On Nov 24, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
... These are being delivered Thursday and will start shipping Friday...
Mark [/quote]

Yay, I also ordered a bundle! I'm in Australia, so will have to wait a little longer, but hopefully, I'll get it before Christmas!
Australia usually takes about 7 days although could be a little slower due to Covid.

Mark
My order is in. Looking forward to this! :)
I now have the books in hand and it is a real beauty. Steve Haresign has worked his usual magic. I am currently packaging up all the pre-orders ready for shipping tomorrow. The pre-order special price will end after the weekend. Can’t wait for people to receive these.

Mark
[quote]On Nov 26, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I now have the books in hand and it is a real beauty. Steve Haresign has worked his usual magic. I am currently packaging up all the pre-orders ready for shipping tomorrow. The pre-order special price will end after the weekend. Can’t wait for people to receive these.

Mark [/quote]

Can't wait...
Brilliant news Mark can’t wait for this Gaz 😊
All the U.K. Pre-orders have shipped and most of the bundles. Going to have to rethink the bundles as shipping those to Australia and Japan was £65 quid a time and I only charge 10 for shipping. So far I paid out over £600 more on shipping than I charged and I still have about 30 more books to ship. Ouch!!

Mark
Not even a first class mentalist can predict postage costs! 😂
It seems the magic figure is 2kg once it goes over that the price goes up dramatically :(

Mark
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
It seems the magic figure is 2kg once it goes over that the price goes up dramatically :(

Mark [/quote]
Hi Mark, reach out to me on email and we can talk about options..
Mark should not be subsidising postage costs here. Buyers should pay extra to cover the surplus. Fair?
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, Doric wrote:
Mark should not be subsidising postage costs here. Buyers should pay extra to cover the surplus. Fair? [/quote]

That's why I've asked him to reach out to me so we can discuss options. I don't want anyone being that out of pocket when trying to run a business.
I always take a bit of a hit on international postage because I don’t want people to pay a huge premium to buy the books direct from me. This one took me a little by surprise. One book to somewhere like Japan is around £20 so I thought with the extra weight maybe £30. My face was probably a picture when they told me the price. Single books are still only about £15-20 depending on where it is going, the bundles just take it over that 2kg into a whole other class.

Mark
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, danHumphrey wrote:
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, Doric wrote:
Mark should not be subsidising postage costs here. Buyers should pay extra to cover the surplus. Fair? [/quote]

That's why I've asked him to reach out to me so we can discuss options. I don't want anyone being that out of pocket when trying to run a business. [/quote]
👏👏👏
If Royal Mail are on top of their game many of the U.K. pre-orders will be delivered today.

Mark
They are not.☹️
First class post seems very hit and miss at the moment, some arrive next day and some take the scenic route. Hopefully some arrived today, a couple were only going about 10
miles down the road.

Mark
Mine has arrived today Mark and it looks truly wonderful Gaz 😊
Nothing down on the south coast, hopefully Monday!
I was really hoping more would land today. I am also pleased to restore my record of delivering pre-orders on time. Had a little blip with a week delay on Totally Free Will so pleased to restore my record.

As far as the shipping costs shocker, I am very grateful that some people have offered to make up the difference but my own feelings are that I set the price and the price is the price. If I had done more homework I could have factored in the shipping or even researched cheaper reliable providers. Lesson learned but that shouldn’t be at the customers cost.

Mark
The rest of the pre-orders are all labelled and ready to ship first thing tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is the last day to get it at the pre-order price before the official release on Tuesday.

Mark
All orders have now shipped. Hopefully many of the UK orders have already been delivered. The pre-order special price ends at midnight tonight.

Mark
Arrived today, just one look at the book (without opening it) it exudes class and has the look of a classic text, which of course it will be!
[quote]On Nov 28, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

As far as the shipping costs shocker, I am very grateful that some people have offered to make up the difference but my own feelings are that I set the price and the price is the price. If I had done more homework I could have factored in the shipping or even researched cheaper reliable providers. Lesson learned but that shouldn’t be at the customers cost.

Mark [/quote]

That's really good of you Mark. The reviews and early impressions sound great - I can't wait to receive mine!
[quote]On Nov 30, 2020, corindaman wrote:
Arrived today, just one look at the book (without opening it) it exudes class and has the look of a classic text, which of course it will be! [/quote]
Steve Haresign and Phill Smith have certainly done a fantastic job on the book. Hope you enjoy the content. It’s a big book so will take a while for the reviews to appear but hopefully we will get some first impressions of the content soon.

Mark
Just received my bundle (HC2 and TFW)!! Lovely look and feel to HC2! Great work Phill and Steve.

Mark - this is a beast of a book. You've been busy! Looking very forward to diving into this!

Thank you Mark!!

- Ross
I'm doing my best to save my pennies up for this. I reckon I might be on the nice list this year as well so who knows.
I received the following from Steve Black who has given me permission to share it.

“Hi Mark,
Received the book this morning. Not a part of the Café so thought I would let you know how superb it is directly. Only about a third of the way through but honestly it is one of the best books on mentalism I have had the pleasure to read. It is well written and clear to understand. Aesthetically it is fantastic. “

Mark
Message: Posted by: Oliver Munoz Gutierrez (Dec 2, 2020 02:42PM)
[quote]On Dec 2, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I received the following from Steve Black who has given me permission to share it.

“Hi Mark,
Received the book this morning. Not a part of the Café so thought I would let you know how superb it is directly. Only about a third of the way through but honestly it is one of the best books on mentalism I have had the pleasure to read. It is well written and clear to understand. Aesthetically it is fantastic. “

Mark [/quote]

I like to confirm that..

I received my bundle yesterday and its a superb read so far 👌
Ditto , I love every single chapter I have read so far . It’s a true work of art absolutely brilliant Gaz 😊
I received mine today. Does it live up to the hype? After I've had a proper look I'll let you know.
Thanks Oliver and Gaz for your comments. Doric I look forward to reading your comments when you’ve had a chance to have a proper look.

Mark
It's going to take a long time for me to post a proper review Mark because there is so much material in the book. I dipped in and read the Igloo routine - brilliant. I also read the chapter about friends.

If the rest of the book is of the same high standard with a mix of routines, clever thinking and shared life experience then this is one hell of a book.

Your brutal honesty and wit are making this a joy to read.
Thanks for those kind words. Whilst some effects will resonate more than others based on personal taste I do believe that the quality is the same throughout.

If you want brutal honesty and wit I recommend the brain farts essay, that still makes me both laugh and wince.

Also without revealing it here, did you find the coded advice in the Friends essay?

Mark
OMG, I totally missed that. Spotted it now! Lol. You are a clever dick 😉. The book just gets better and better.
The remark that it a joy to read is music to my ears, well technically my eyes as it was written rather than spoken. I have many books filled with fantastic material that are hard to read and soI wanted to make this fun to read without compromising on the quality of the material or the instruction.

Mark
I have found a reasonably priced tracked express service and so future international orders should arrive pretty quickly and without costing an arm and a leg.

Mark
A long shot, but has anyone managed to finish the book yet?

Mark
Not yet. I'm spending quality time with it. Reading parts and then reflecting on them.

BTW, I read the chapter you recommended.

Cunning stunt! 😳
Is it still living up to your initial impressions?

Mark
No, it's not living up to my initial impressions.
It's far exceeded my initial impressions. 😀
I received the following review from Michael Dear who is not a member of the Café.

Rarely is a mentalism book a true pleasure to read. Harpacrown Too, however, definitely fits the bill. I was unsure how Harpacrown Too would measure up to Mark’s previous releases, Harpacrown and Free Will, which were each hits in their own right. Harpacrown Too took it to another level! Over four hundred pages of clever thinking spanning over clever effects taught in great detail, utilities that have many uses, essays on being a better mentalist and creating a better act, as well as some great material shared by some of the best modern mentalists, all written in Mark’s laid back, humorous, and engaging style. This book is sure to be appreciated by anyone in the field of mentalism.
I received mine (in Australia) today :) Very excited to start reading.....
Glad it arrived safely. I think pretty much all of the orders have now been delivered. Hopefully some reviews will be posted soon. I know some people prefer to wait for reviews before a big purchase.

Mark
Other than Doric anyone read this yet? Or is everyone waiting for Santa to put it under the tree?

Mark
I have read 6 absolutely exceptional chapters , 1 in the wrong order but that was Marks fault as he teased me with one further on in the book so I jumped ahead . Being now stuck in Tier 4 over Christmas I have the time to finish the rest and I am really looking forward to it . There’s a plus side to nearly every situation in life and with it being packed with so much content I like to read things thoroughly and try things out as I go through the chapters . I highly recommended this it should be on everyone’s Christmas list imho , best wishes Gaz 😊
Surely there must be more owners willing to post their thoughts here?
[quote]On Dec 28, 2020, Doric wrote:
Surely there must be more owners willing to post their thoughts here? [/quote]

I don't usually write reviews but since you ask...

This book is much, much better than the original HarpaCrown.

And HarpaCrown was brilliant.

So if you liked that... then you should own this. It's one of those rare books that I wish I didn't own, just so I could buy it again and experience reading it afresh. For me, books like 'Simply Simon' and 'CardShark' are in this class. Not many others.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Jamie that’s very high praise.

Mark
David Kenney from Magic Orthodoxy has posted his review of Harpacrown Too. He also awarded it best book of 2020 in his best tricks of 2020 video

https://youtu.be/v4Yei8hrP8A

Mark
I have now sold out of the original Harpacrown Collectors Edition. It may still be available from other dealers for a while but not long as Murphy’s only have 6 in stock. I have about 20 standard editions left.

Mark
Just to clarify my last post. It is the first Harpacrown Collectors Edition (the blue one) that has sold out. I still have stock of the new Harpacrown Too Collector’s Edition.

Mark
Has anyone else read enough of the book to post an opinion yet? I take the lack of reviews as a good sign because people tend to be very quick to post when they don’t like something. It would still be nice to see some views from people that have actually bought the book as these are the opinions that carry the most weight as opposed to the review channels and friends of the creator.

Mark
I got my book yesterday and am forcing myself to read it slowly. But already my experience has been good because I ordered it only a few days ago and it arrived very quickly, Also the book itself is very beautiful. The first chapter on scripting was very good and I already learned something I will use re capturing additional information during a toxic force. So far so great,
I have another small print run of the original Harpacrown Collector’s Edition arriving in about 2 weeks time so if you missed out on it you will have another chance. It is unlikely that I will do another print run.

Mark
My new stock of the original Collectors Edition will be arriving next Monday. Meanwhile has anyone finished Harpacrown Too? Reviews are still pretty thin on the ground.

Mark
This arrived with me recently.
Mark's a friend, so I'm potentially biased, although I did insist on (and did) paying full price for the book.

Your first impression upon receiving the book will likely be: it's huge. And that's correct. Almost 450 pages huge.

Your second impression upon starting the read will likely be: great thinking. Yet again, that's correct. Mark hit the ball out of the park on several routines and subtleties. If you enjoyed his previous works, you will certainly like this a lot.

One of my personal highlights is the seemingly random full-audience selection process of a single spectator from 'What's Mine Is Mine'. I look forward to trying that live.

Also had another look at Ophiuchus, which is available as a stand-alone release. While I'm not usually a fan of 'that kind of' method, I actually got inspired for a somewhat more bizarre presentation for it that I'm very excited about (I harbor a secret passion for bizarre & storytelling magic of all sorts).

We've been blessed with a range of very high quality mentalism books recently, and this is certainly one of them. Recommended.
(To be clear, I wasn't knocking Ophiuchus - in fact, Mark's effect offers several advantages over similar pieces, aside from coming with three well-structured routines of its own.)
[quote]On Feb 2, 2021, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
My new stock of the original Collectors Edition will be arriving next Monday. Meanwhile has anyone finished Harpacrown Too? Reviews are still pretty thin on the ground.

Mark [/quote]

I'm jumping on the Collectors edition and H Too. Placed an order for both. Super excited after reading all these positive reviews.
Been working my way through Harpacrown Too and loving every minute of it. Mark's writing is so fresh and friendly and funny, it is a joy to be tooling along thinking about his clever method and then all of a sudden hit an extremely funny line that's not in his script, but just a part of his clever writing style. I have been skipping around a little, dropping in on plots that seem interesting, but I'm going back and read everything. There are so many good pieces of information about staging and psychology that are worth finding even if you are not going to do Mark's exact routine.
The original Harpacrown Collector’s Edition is now back in stock. Also Harpacrown Too is now available from Penguin. I love the trailer they have created.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15060

Mark
Https://youtu.be/OaShh2Uu2bE
No one writes magic books like Mark Chandaue. His presentation descriptions and methods are all clearly explained but what makes his writing stand out are the funny (and often educational) stories and humour that are present throughout all of his books. I originally took this as a bonus to learning great mentalism but have since come to realise that it’s also a constant reminder for me, that at the heart of our art, being entertaining is just as important as being fooling.

The effects themselves are all superb too and are real world workers that can be scaled up or down depending upon your situation and audience size. Although Mark encourages you to come up with your own presentations, the scripting provided is always top tier and is an inspiring way to show examples of how the routines can play out.

Two Harpacrowns and a Totally Free Will in, I can’t even imagine how much I’ve learned from Mark so far but even now I know he’ll come up with something new that will both floor me and make me smile. This is another incredible piece of work that deserves a space on every mentalist or magicians shelf.
If you have the book and like it I would really appreciate it if you could add a review over at Penguin.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15060

Cheers,

Mark
David Kenney has posted a review of the original Harpacrown Collector’s Edition over at Magic Orthodoxy.

https://youtu.be/7DHpGxU4x-8

Mark
Thanks for taking the time to write the reviews Timon, Jim and Woolfie and for also posting it the review on Penguin.

Mark
This is now available through Murphy’s and so you should be able to pick it up at your favourite magic store. If in the EU picking it up from Pegani should avoid any brexit related delays or costs.

Mark
I ordered mine from Hocus-Pocus.
Despite the lack of reviews the original Harpacrown is now almost completely gone. I have no more Standard Editions and these will definitely not be reprinted. I am down to the last 12 of the second print run of the original Harpacrown Collector’s Edition. There is unlikely to be a third print run. Harpacrown Too on the other hand still has good availability.

Mark
The original Harpacrown has now completely sold out. I will be doing one final print run which should be available in round 3 weeks time. Meanwhile the following review of Harpacrown Too was posted on Penguin.

“It's pains me a little to write a review for this book. Never in my 40 plus years of magic have I read such important book of magic. Yes, I said magic. Harpacrown is a book on mentalism but to me it's the 'holy grail' on mentalism making it pure magic! I will never need another magic book period.
Why is it painful? Selfishly, this book is the gem that all gems wish they were. Happily I have been using the advise within its pages to stun friends and customers. So naturally, I don't want the information out. But, honestly, this information is so powerful that it has a life of its own. It's life wants to be in your head nibbling away your brain.
Enjoy this book...if you have to buy any book on mentalism buy something else...that way I can stay employed! just kidding.
Mark, this is a true masterpiece of literature! Congratulations! ”

Would be nice to see more reviews from actual buyers.

Mark

Mark
I've had Mark's books on my wish list for some time now, so I finally ordered the full set directly from Mark. Although I haven't had a chance to get into all the material yet, but I can already tell these will be books I'll go back to time and again. As a bonus, the books as a set are really nice! I had the chance to correspond with Mark a few times, and his customer service is really top notch.

Ted
I have received the 3rd print run of the original Harpacrown Collector’s Editions. Once again it is a fairly small print run. I won’t rule out another print run when these are gone as I really didn’t expect the demand to be high enough for a third. Stock should be going out to dealers in the next couple of weeks.

Mark