(Close Window)
Topic: “Gambling” Routine for Cups and Balls?
Working on set of gambling routines. Would like to used C&B, but more as a gambling routine. More along line of three shell game. Finding a ball under cup rather than having three balls appearing all over the place.

Been looking but haven found one..any suggestions?
Hi imgic, did you find what you were looking for ?
[quote]On Jun 29, 2020, imgic wrote:
Working on set of gambling routines. Would like to used C&B, but more as a gambling routine. More along line of three shell game. Finding a ball under cup rather than having three balls appearing all over the place.

Been looking but haven found one..any suggestions? [/quote]
You should be able to use just one ball and 3 cups (or better yet, use a combo set like the Mendoza set Rings-n-Things 2 sells for the adaption of a chop feature in one of the cups. I have been playing around with Bob Farmer's "Mojo Boogie Boxes". Got PDF here:

https://www.lybrary.com/mojo-boogie-boxes-p-922434.html

and just picked up the 3 needed boxes from Penguin (quarter size aluminum Boston box x1 and quarter size aluminum Okito x2 all Tango and just about $45 total or the boxes, $9.50 for the PDF. The reason I went with quarter size is that it sets up for a 4 quarter (one dollar) bet and there is always an open "out" in the mix. Great routine, wish I had found it years ago. Very cool twist on the 3-shell plot.
In his book, Card Sharpers, Robert-Houdin describes the cups and balls being done in the early half of the 19th Century in a restaurant with soup bowls and bread balls. It was done as a takedown scam, with the magician and his shill taking everyone in the place.
Thanks all. I haven’t found a routine, but that just means I get the pleasure of cresting my own using various references for inspiration.
I love Ricky Jay's routine, which isn't strictly a gambling routine but covers the history of cups and balls, and as such begins as a gambling routine with one ball and three cups, before making two more balls appear as he explains how magicians cheat. It then becomes a more standard routine, but it could be helpful for some ideas in developing your routine.
Much of Ricky Jay's routine was based upon the routine in Hocus Pocus Jr.
[quote]On Jul 12, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[quote]On Jun 29, 2020, imgic wrote:

Been looking but haven found one..any suggestions? [/quote]
You should be able to use just one ball and 3 cups (or better yet, use a combo set like the Mendoza set Rings-n-Things 2 sells for the adaption of a chop feature in one of the cups. I have been playing around with Bob Farmer's "Mojo Boogie Boxes". Got PDF here:

https://www.lybrary.com/mojo-boogie-boxes-p-922434.html

and just picked up the 3 needed boxes from Penguin (quarter size aluminum Boston box x1 and quarter size aluminum Okito x2 all Tango and just about $45 total or the boxes, $9.50 for the PDF. The reason I went with quarter size is that it sets up for a 4 quarter (one dollar) bet and there is always an open "out" in the mix. Great routine, wish I had found it years ago. Very cool twist on the 3-shell plot. [/quote]

Good call!
Thanks for this...

I have a Boston box, but reckon I may pick up a couple of okitos now too!