Topic: Resigned to Miracles
Hi all,

Together with premier writer and publisher Stephen Minch, I have written
Resigned to Miracles. It's published and released by Hermetic Press, and
is available at Penguin Magic:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13888

My best wishes,
Peter Gröning
Sounds like this could open up many possibilities! Looking forward to seeing the reviews as they come in.
I ordered
Also appears it may have many mentalism applications.
Hi H2Odesign,

Yes it can, as long as you're fine with using playing cards. You can take it pretty much in any direction you'd like.
(It can be performed with business cards, which might be more appealing to some than playing cards.)

Since I've kept this for myself for many years, I've been the only one coming up with applications. Releasing it, I'm really curious what kind of material others will come up with utilizing this principle that I haven't thought of. I really look forward to this, whatever it will be.

My best wishes,
Peter
Sounds fantastic! Really looking forward to some reviews.
Hi,
Regarding using business cards; it is preferable to use double blanks, rather than printed ones, but it's quite feasible to use both. The handling will differ slightly, that's all (Once the general principal is understood, every performer can change the handling to fit his or her needs accordingly, depending on the actual routine.)

Also, to simplify the actions, it's better if the business cards aren't too rough. Double blank playing cards are perfect.

Resigned to Miracles introduces a method to secretly obtain genuine signatures from one or two spectators on the backs of playing cards. The book contains the original concept and a couple of variations. That's the important part of the book, since it provides the reader with a practical tool to perform impactful magic.
It also contains routines only made possible by this concept. I sincerely believe these applications to be very strong and magical pieces - I wouldn't have included them otherwise - but their main purpose is to inspire others to create routines of their own. As I've stated in my posting above, there's a lot more to explore with this concept. (That said, I'm pretty sure that those who decides to simply stick with my routines, won't be disappointed.)
In addition, there's a bonus section with some routines where signatures plays a major part, without depending on the core concept.

I'm quite sure there will be those who will approve of the material and use it a lot, while others will discard it. In the end, what it comes down to are personal preferences. (My say in the matter is obviously very biased.)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to express my sincere gratitude to Mr. Stephen Minch and Hermetic Press for believing in me and my work, and for doing such a brilliant job transforming my thoughts and ideas into readable text and illustrations, which resulted in a beautiful little book. Stephen is a true gentleman and a first rate artist, and I can't thank him enough. He also persuaded Penguin Magic to publish a totally unknown dude from Sweden, which in itself is a great achievement.

My best wishes,
Peter
I'm very jazzed to see that the book [b]finally[/b] is out!

Peter clued me into the concept over 20 years ago, and I have coveted it since.
The more Peter have moved away from close-up and towards mentalism; the more I have nagged him to publish it.
At one point, he had enough applications and routines for the concept to fill a rather big book...and then his harddrive died, with no backups. So I'm happy to see that he found the energy and time to write it down again.

While the main concept in itself is exciting, what makes it stand out are the routines. There have been other clever ways to create signed duplicates, but in most cases the suggested applications (if any) have been one-dimensional crude routines that almost points back at methods used. This is different. The routines here are cleverly constructed and layered.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:

Resigned to Miracles introduces a method to secretly obtain genuine signatures from one or two spectators on the backs of playing cards.

[/quote]

Hi Peter!

Sounds fantastic. I have one question. Is it definitely "backs only" or is it also possible to get the duplicate signatures on the faces of cards?

Any chance you have a video of a routine online somewhere to have a clearer picture? Of course without giving anything away.

Thanks, Andy
Is this strictly for stage, or could it be used for close-up work some how?
@Andy: It's backs only, but like I wrote above, It's very doable with for instance double blank cards, which of course removes the face/back issue altogether. Speaking of signed backs, there's a routine in the book where a signed back instantly changes color, which looks pretty nice.
There are no videos available on this, since that would be a dead give away.

@Paul: Thanks for bringing this up. I've used it in close-up or parlour settings, but initially I created it for stage work. My idea was to obtain the signatures during an early set at the tables, and then utilize them later in a stege set.

I hope the above is helpful, but if not, please ask me again. :)
So this eliminates the use of currency.

Steve
This reads like a very interesting concept. Like others here, I'd love to read some reviews from those who have purchased the book and have tried the routines.

Roberto
Any review from a non Swede?
Not yet, only just got pre-shipment tracking today. Probably all shipping out tomorrow :)
Are Swedish opinions not valid now? :(

//Dan
How about people with Swedish heritage? :)
[quote]On Jul 27, 2020, dyoung wrote:

//Dan [/quote]

Only when the release is by a Swede. Ok?
So you, and every other Englander, are not entitled to an opinion on anything released by an English magician then?
[quote]On Jul 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:

//Dan [/quote]

Only when the release is by a Swede. Ok? [/quote]

Congrats - I don't think it's possible I'll see a more cretinous post on here this year. Well...it's not that safe a bet whilst you're still posting, mind you.
Got my copy today.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Any review from a non Swede? [/quote]

Huh?!! This doesn't read good at all. Care to elaborate on what you wrote here?

Roberto
I've only made it a few chapters in. Hope to read more tonight. First impression is a good one. The book is beautifully designed and laid out. As a lawyer by day, I write for a living and one of my biggest pet peves about magic is when people release things without proofreading or even a basic mastery of grammar and the English language. I'm happy to report that none of those issues exist here. Thus far, it is incredibly well written and I really like Peter's writing style.

To be honest, even though I read the basic ad copy, I still wasn't really sure what to expect with this. So part of the fun is reading every page in anticipation of what is to come. You get little nuggets on every page and that only adds to the fun. Thus far, I've only made it to the basic concept, but it seems like a winner that delivers as advertised. I haven't gotten to the effects yet but I'm far enough along to be thinking, "this concept is great...I wonder how I will use it." So I'm really looking forward to the effects.

More to come but my initial impressions are good (and as you know from my other reviews, I buy a ton of magic and am rarely ever impressed with anything.) Fingers crossed the journey only gets better.
Keep us up to speed. Still waiting on my copy to arrive.
Hi all,

The review below was posted on Penguin Magic, by Jack McCoy from Benbrook, Tx. He wrote:

"Peter Groning is a clever guy and his effects in the book are all excellent. You should be made aware that almost all will require certain gaff cards as well, double face, double back, mirrored (both sides show the same card) and duplicates, so if you're considering purchasing the book, go ahead and get some of those as well. My personal favorite of the lot is called 'Bit by Bit' where the face of the signed (on the back) card fades and disappears each time an envelope is waved over it. The spectator opens the envelope to find his signed card inside! These aren't self workers and some sleight of hand is required, though none difficult.

If you're thinking secret gimmick or secret writer / duplicator, you'd be mistaken. There are none of that used in the methodology here. Without saying too much, it takes advantage of a previous effect you'd performed already. Phil Goldstein refers to it as 'ecological magic', where the waste product gets recycled. It also relies on laypeople's general assumption once a trick is over. The very last trick in the book, 'Signed Sealed Delivered' is the only one that is impromptu, the rest require a previous effect being performed on the spectator(s) already. For the magic niche pertaining to signed card effects, the book is a gem.

Hermetic Press has always produced quality books and this is no exception."

I wholeheartedly thank Mr. McCoy for his positive words, but would like to make a few comments to further clarify matters.
Firstly, I greatly appreciate Mr. McCoy for not spilling the beans about the core method involved, but still being able to convey his thoughts. Thank you so much for this!
It's solide advice to get some double-facers along with the book (if you don't have that in your drawers already). With a little effort, some disposable playing cards and a rubber eraser, you can make most other special cards required for the routines (applications) yourself.
Not overly important perhaps, but actually the last three effects are based on methods that doesn't require a previous effect being performed, not only Signed, Sealed and Delivered (though one of the effects requires a double facer).
I must say that Mr. McCoy has impeccable taste, since Bit by Bit happens to one of my favorite effects too. :)

Cheers,
Peter
Oh, I forgot to say, I love the phrase coined by Mr. Phil Goldstein "ecological magic". I never heard that before, but I think it's brilliant and beautiful. Henceforth, something I will use.
My copy is on its way. Looking forward to it.
Hi all,

Here's a link to a video review from Penguin's live broadcast - Top 20 Trick Countdown, with Nick & Erik:

https://vimeo.com/442645568

My best wishes,
Peter
Guys, this book is outstanding. Even if you don't use the signature duplication the other magic routines taught are among the most convincing of their kind. Used as part of a much larger routine, this is insane!
Josh,
Thank you so much for your kind words. It really means a lot.
My best wishes,
Peter
I’ll post a full review soon.

First thoughts:

This is such a great concept and will allow for miracles. The tricks that are taught are just the tip of the iceberg. Anything you can imagine with having a duplicate signature can be done with this. And the method used to get that duplicate signature is hidden in a beautiful, very strong piece of magic.

More to come.

Madison
Six Friendly Involvements: Here Peter thanks 6 people who had a big involvement with this project

Introduction: In this section, Peter reminisces about what got him into magic and specifically—card magic.

High Concept: This is where Peter lays out the general concept for obtaining a duplicate signature including his inspirations that led him to this discovery. This is where you discover Peter created this concept in the early 1980s. 35 years later, he’s ready to share it with the world. In this section, Peter also lays out a few general tips to help ensure success.

Part 1 Resigned
This chapter teaches the main method of obtaining a signature as well as its variants.

—Resigned: This is the first routine/method for getting a duplicate signature. It’s Peter’s take on a well-known effect, but his creative additions make the routine the fairest of its kind, and it actually leaves you with TWO signatures that no one knows exists. Shhhhh

—Half Resigned: This is a variation on the previous effect/method which can be done one-on-one. This handling is a bit more direct and convincing, however, the first effect is most certainly the stronger one between the two. In my opinion, if you CAN perform the first version, you SHOULD.

—Resigned in Color: This variation gives you two spectator’s signatures on the back of two cards with different colored backs. It’s important to note (and it does so at the end of this section) that this variation is really only necessary if you need two spectator’s signatures. If you only need one, then you can use the basic “Resigned” effect without needing this handling. In fact, all of the other routines in the book can be done without this method, but I believe Peter included this for completion’s sake in case you find your own use for it.

—Resigned by Remote Control: No, this doesn’t involve electronics. This is a way to perform the original routine or any of the variations away from the deck. It is really REALLY lovely and should not be overlooked.

Part 2 Resignation Accepted
This chapter focuses on some effects that use the secret signature

—First Thoughts: This gives some general tips as well as describes what to expect out of this chapter. In essence, this is the chapter that contains some of the effects you can do with a secret signature. Peter very clearly expresses that he is only including this routines to inspire you to come up with your own, but also admits that the routines he provides are very strong and magical as we will see.

—Bit by Bit: “The audience is shown a sealed envelope. Someone selects a card and signs its back. The magician covers the face-up card for an instant with the envelope. This causes the face of the selection to fade. The faded card still has the spectator’s signature on the back. The magician next gently strikes the card against the envelope. This causes the face of the card to vanish completely, leaving it blank. The card is still signed. The card is again momentarily covered with the envelope and vanishes completely. The person who selected the card is asked to open the envelope. Inside she finds her signed card, which has recomposed itself, bit by bit.”

Clearly, there’s a lot of magic in this routine. You visibly see the card fade away, all the while seeing the signature is indeed still on the card, and then the best moment happens: the signed card appears inside of the genuinely ungimmicked and sealed envelope. Personally, if I were doing a card to envelope with this principle (which is very easy to do) I don’t think I’d do it with this routine simply because the envelope is in close contact to the deck throughout the entire routine. Sure, that has nothing to do with the card being inside the envelope in the end, but a spectator may assume that somehow you slipped it inside at some point while the envelope was against the deck. This doesn’t discount how great this routine is. It’s a wonderful routine full of many magical changes, but I personally believe it slightly diminished the impact of the card being in the envelope (if only after the performance is done.) The only other con with this routine is that you are left pretty dirty at the end. The deck is in a condition which would require some tight-spreading and rearranging in order to clean up, so this is definitely one to close the set with.

—Fade In: “This trick has a relationship to “Bit by Bit”, but the effect achieved is entirely different. Someone selects a card, looks at it and places it between her palms without showing it to anyone else. A second deck is introduced. Its backs contrast with those of the first deck, and the faces of the cards are blank. The magician claims that these are special cards, manufactured to pick up thoughts. Spreading the blank-faced deck in his hands, he asks a second person to remove any one of the blank cards and sign its back. The first helper now concentrates intensely on her selection. This causes something very strange to occur: In a rapid series of transformations, a face becomes more and more visible on the signed, blank-faced card, until it is a perfect match to the card the first helper chose.”

This is such a different trick than any other one I’ve ever seen. The signed blank card slowly fades into a card someone else selected, and at each point along the way, they can see their signature on the back. It’s a fascinating idea, and in order to exploit it to its fullest potential, I think you MUST have the card examined after the first change. If they don’t examine the card at that point, the ending will have less impact because they may not be certain that it was really their signed card the whole time. At the end of this section, Peter suggests having other things slowly be revealed on the card such as a star sign or the name of a loved one. Really nice ideas, but I prefer the playing card as I think it makes the most sense within the context. I will say, while this trick isn’t difficult to perform, there’s one moment in particular which must be done smoothly to be most effective.

—Face Off: “The following is an extension of “Fade In”. Someone selects a card and, without revealing his selection, signs it both on the front and on the back. It is then very fairly inserted into the deck while the deck lies in its case. The case is closed and left with the helper for safekeeping. A second person freely chooses a blank-faced card and signs its back. Slowly, the face of the first helper’s card appears on the second signed card, until it is fully developed. Then, the first helper’s signature appears on the face of the card signed by the second helper. When the cased deck is checked, it still contains the first helper’s card, with his signature on the back—but its face is now blank.”

That may read as a bit confusing, but in practice it’s pretty straightforward, albeit unusual. The handling works well for the effect, and it’s another effect which is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

—Gifted: “Early in his performance, the magician removes a deck of cards from his pocket. He takes the deck from its case, but notices something wrong. He takes a good look inside the card case, then shakes it close to his ear. Something is apparently still in it. He gives the case a vigorous shake and out flies a small gift box—small, but still obviously too large to have come from the case. The gift box is tabled or given to someone in the audience to hold. Toward the end of the show the box is opened by the person who has been holding it. Inside she finds a card that has just a few minutes before been selected and signed by someone else in the audience.”

First of all, what Peter is really teaching here is a really wonderful production of a gift box (or any small item) from inside a card box. It’s a great handling which shows both hands empty. It is probably the best “item from card box” production that I’ve seen. Then you get to add the kicker at the end of the set of the signed card appearing in said gift box. Picture the Kennedy box but with no funny moves. That is what you have here. They genuinely hold on to a box throughout your performance. You never come near that box or switch anything, yet their signed card appears inside of the box. This is really incredible stuff, and in my opinion, this shows the power of having a duplicate signature. This is what everyone dreams of. Put all of your gimmicked boxes in the trash. Learn this technique, use it, and you have the most perfect version of “kennedy box’ in existence. Pay close attention to the notes at the end of this section as it tells how to perform this effectively in one card set. Gold star from me.

—Bizarre Assignment: “A card is selected and signed by its chooser, front and back. It is sandwiched between two red Jacks and the person who chose it grips one end of her card. The two Jacks are separated and the signed card instantly disappears from the person’s hand. It is shown to have flown to the middle of the deck. The selection is replaced between the Jacks, face down, and turns magically face up. This magical reversal is performed again. Finally, after the card has been once more turned face down between the Jacks, its back visibly changes color—even though both the back and face are signed.”

This is by far the best version of Paul Harris’s Bizarre Twist. The addition of the card being signed on both sides makes for some really strong and undeniable visuals throughout the performance. The kicker ending of the card changing colors WITH THEIR SIGNATURE is just undeniably magical. Of all the routines in the book, this may be my favorite. It takes a classic trick, adds Peter’s technique, and makes this classic trick 95% better than it was originally. Huge fan of this one. Gold star.

—Spiked: “A folded sheet of paper with a question mark drawn on its outer side is shown. It is nailed with a huge spike to a wall. A card is selected and signed on the back. The signed card is then made to vanish. You grab the paper and rip it off the spike, revealing a card still nailed to the wall—the signed selection.”

This is really one take on the card to impossible location. One take which is certainly not lacking theatrics! Peter admits you won’t always find a venue that would allow you to nail something to their wall, but if they do, go for it! I particularly like the “enhanced” handling which has the card signed on both sides. Peter expresses the power of this method because it allows the signed card to be visibly seen in the deck up until the very last moment. You can utilize this concept for any card to impossible location—including card to wallet. You can hand your wallet to someone while they are staring at their signed card sticking out of the deck. Square the card into the deck, it instantly vanishes, and appears in the wallet they are holding. Good stuff.

—Bottled: Peter briefly describes how to end a card under bottle routine by having the signed card appear IN the bottle. Pretty simple to work out once you know you are dealing with a duplicate signature.

—Once Torn, Twice Restored: Picture this: you perform any of the single card torn and restored effects which requires you leave the card three-quarters restored. You’ve always wondered how to justify that last piece staying unrestored. Now you don’t have to worry about that. Now, you can restore that last piece and give them a signed card which is fully restored.

—CoinResigned: This teaches you how to get a duplicate signature on a coin which can be used for a number of routines. It will take some creativity to find a use for this, but if you’ve been searching for a way to have a secret set of initials on a coin, this may be for you.

Part 3 Unresigend
This chapter of the book teaches three routines which do NOT use the resigned principle.

—Torn Between Two Worlds: “A card is selected and torn in half. Someone signs the face of one half while a second person signs the face of the other. The signed halves are then magically fused together, back to back, to form a single, double-faced half card, signed on both sides. This is a doubly bizarre object, as it is also a card that has been torn and restored—even though it remains torn.”

This is a really interesting routine which leaves the spectators with a wonderful souvenir. It’s simple to do and very effective with nothing more than a single playing card needed. I really like it.

—Knock on Wood: “A red-backed card is displayed, but its identity is unknown. This is because it is stapled, back outward, to a block of wood. From a blue-backed deck, a card is selected, signed and returned to the pack. The magician claims he will make just the faces of the selection and the card on the board change places. When the stapled, red-backed card is taken from the board, it is found to have the face of the signed selection.”

This is similar to “Nailed” by David Regal but the method is different. This method is a bit too “muddy” for my personal liking. There’s a lot going on and a lot of set up for a trick which I’m not convinced is worth the payoff. I have used Jay Sankey’s “BlockBuster” effect for years, and I’ve always done it with a different colored card. In my opinion, Jay’s version is more direct and to the point than what is shown here. It’s a lot of work, but if you want to make a signed card appear stapled to a block of wood, this will allow you to genuinely do that.

—Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: “Someone selects a card and signs its back. Neither he nor anyone else knows the identity of this card. It is slipped face down between two face-up Jacks, and the sandwich is placed into a card case. A second person signs the face of a second selection. This card is lost in the deck. The Jack sandwich is removed from the card case. When the first signed selection is turned face up, it is seen to be the second signed selection, too.”

This is THE ONLY trick in the book which is completely impromptu. It is a strange mystery card type effect with the signatures making it extra impossible. There’s quite a bit of sleights necessary to make the effect happen. But if you can pull it off, you will be rewarded with a strong version of the mystery card.

Overall, this is an inspired piece of work. The core concept is a strong and powerful one. The effects taught are all great, and they will get the creative juices flowing. My biggest “complaint” about these effects is that they all require a set up, and Peter doesn’t tell explain how to go from the “resigned” effect into the trick you want to do with the signature. So it will take some planning on your part to figure out how to go from point A to point B. If you put in the work, you will be greatly rewarded with some miracle-level magic. I was also very pleased to find that the “resigned” effect which sets you up for all the others is a very strong and memorable magic trick. I was afraid the initial resigned effect would be meaningless and/or corny. I was wrong. As Peter says in the book, don’t rush through the resigned effect to get to the others. The effect is powerful on its own. The fact that it gives you some secret signatures is a bonus. Also I would just like to say originally I thought it was strange that the secret signature you get is on the back of a card. But Peter asserts that it is only weird for magicians, and I wholeheartedly agree. The average laymen has never signed a card. That alone is a weird action. They don’t think its any weirder for it to be the back of a card. So don’t let that stop you form picking this up. The back being signed is every bit as impressive as the front being signed, and it isn’t much more limiting (as evident by the plethora of material presented here.)

I highly recommend this book and give it my stamp of approval.

Madison
Fantastic review.
Madison,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review and your kind words - it means a lot me. And thank you for conveying your honest thoughts and opinions.

Regarding your comments about setting up effects utilizing the secretly signed cards; I see your point, but don't quite agree.
I advocate you let the secretly signed duplicates "cool" for awhile, after you've obtained them by performing the initial routine, for instance perform something else entirely in the meantime. Due to this, it's impossible for me to give proper advice, since the conditions and specific needs will vary and be different for each performer.

I'm so glad you like the initial effect - the one that makes it all possible. Like I've said before, I'm super biased, but I too believe it to be hard hitting.

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi All,

Can the spectator examine "their" signature very close? Or just second away?

If I remember, there was a concept like this before, but the magician can only show the "duplicate signature" just a moment not very close to the spectator.

I forgot the name of the effect.
[quote]On Jul 31, 2020, knownmagician wrote:
Hi All,

Can the spectator examine "their" signature very close? Or just second away?

If I remember, there was a concept like this before, but the magician can only show the "duplicate signature" just a moment not very close to the spectator.
[/quote]
There exist another approach where the spectator's signature is forged during the performance. This is not it.
In Peter's piece, all signatures are authentic.
The signatures are real. Essentially Peter has come up with a way to get authentic signatures without the spectators knowing they exist. No gimmicks. No high tech or even low tech gizmo. Just brilliant routining.
Hi all,

Thanks guys for your positive and kind words. :)

Here's a link to a video on youtube with some testimonials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEr0V8G0SDk&fbclid=IwAR0xVFcjYkf13NXKqDMuS-pArv1J0DCeZKxjOvR9jvqHKlGLycHDUl2MKnc

My best wishes,
Peter
This is an excellent book, well written, and very very clever thinking. The voice of the author comes through as a thoughtful teacher who cares about his creations here, and I understand why. I honestly believe the opening routine "Resigned" is one of the most convincing versions of a trick we've all played with at some time. It has moved in and out of my repertoire over the years, but now I'm completely revisiting it with this book, and this routine. My cogs are turning on "what next" with the delivery of the signed cards, but very much worth the money and the time to read it.
[quote]On Jul 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:

//Dan [/quote]

Only when the release is by a Swede. Ok? [/quote]

No, not "ok".
Just a very stupid and unpolite thing to say
Hi all,

To clarify matters: "Resigned to Miracles introduces a method for secretly obtaining genuine signatures from one or two spectators on the backs of playing cards.".
This is to say that the secretly obtained signatures are on the backs of playing cards - NOT ON THE FACES.

As I state in the book, and as Madison has written in his comprehensive review, this is not really an issue. But I do want it to be quite clear, as I don't want to appear as misleading.

My best wishes,
Peter
Just as an update: I will DEFINITELY be trying this in the real world. (I’m just waiting on the supplies to arrive.)

I will report back with the success of the routine on laymen. I’ll let you know exactly how they react.

Madison
While Fade In will get a lot of attention (as it should), Bizarre Assignment might be the best item in the book. You can read a description in Madison’s spot-on review. I never really liked Bizarre Vanish or Bizarre Twist but Peter’s version takes these plots into the stratosphere. I really wish I could have seen Bizarre Assignment performed live before I read this book because I’m pretty sure my head would have exploded. I will definitely be using it. I really think this will legitimately destroy spectators.
[quote]On Aug 1, 2020, doug brewer wrote:
This is an excellent book, well written, and very very clever thinking.[/quote]

Thank you Doug. Your words means a lot to me.

My best wishes,
Peter
@Madison:
I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

@emyers99:
I'm glad you took a liking to Bizarre Assignment. Paul Harris is, in my opinion, simply the best.
The sequence on the Bizarre-theme can be performed without utilizing the concept, but having the selections signed does enhance the impact.

My best wishes,
Peter
I have it in my hand and have begun reading it.

[quote]On Jul 25, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
Hi all,

Together with premier writer and publisher Stephen Minch, I have written
Resigned to Miracles. It's published and released by Hermetic Press, and
is available at Penguin Magic:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13888

My best wishes,
Peter Gröning [/quote]
This is an amazing idea and a wonderful, easy to read book.

I wasn't sure what to expect but disappointed was high up the list. In fact the book contains a brilliant trick which could easily be sold as a stand alone effect for £30, the rest and the use of Peter's concept is like very thick icing on the cake.

It's available in the U.K too, which is great because I'm not a Swede (though I know one or two).
Harry Patter,

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it.
I'm glad you like the concept and I hope you'll find use for it.

Actually, my initial thought was to publish this as a stand alone item, but I decided not to. The main reason was I wanted to convey my thoughts on applications, which can be so much more than just the obvious "card to impossible location". Though there's nothing wrong with that, there's so much more to discover.

If you have any questions on this, send me a pm or post it here, and I'll do my best to answer

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi all,

Resigned to Miracles made it into Penguin's latest Top 20 list:
https://vimeo.com/444230817

My best wishes,

Peter
I’m halfway through this book. ***, it’s very good. I suspected what materials I would likely need and I was bang on thus glad that I don’t need to order or make anything else to do the material in the book. I think virtually anybody that picks up this book is going to be absolutely delighted by it. Excellent work.
Anywhere in the U.K. stocking this or do I have to order via the US?
[quote]On Aug 8, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
I’m halfway through this book. ***, it’s very good. I suspected what materials I would likely need and I was bang on thus glad that I don’t need to order or make anything else to do the material in the book. I think virtually anybody that picks up this book is going to be absolutely delighted by it. Excellent work. [/quote]

Hi kissdadookie,

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you liked the concept, and I hope you’ll find use for it.
If you have any questions, post them here or send me a pm, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

My best wishes,
Peter
[quote]On Aug 8, 2020, jbadman wrote:
Anywhere in the U.K. stocking this or do I have to order via the US? [/quote]

Hi Jamie,

I don’t know if you recall, but I used to ”hang out” at TSD back in the days. Nice to ”see you” again, and thanks for showing interest in my book.

I know some dealers in Europe will carry this, but I don’t know when. I can find out and get back to you, if you’d like?

My best wishes,
Peter
[quote]On Aug 8, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
I’m halfway through this book. ***, it’s very good. I suspected what materials I would likely need and I was bang on thus glad that I don’t need to order or make anything else to do the material in the book. I think virtually anybody that picks up this book is going to be absolutely delighted by it. Excellent work. [/quote]

Hi kissdadookie,

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you liked the concept, and I hope you’ll find use for it.
If you have any questions, post them here or send me a pm, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

My best wishes,
Peter [/quote]

Already have many ideas for this. I also perform something that uses the core concept here but your addition and ideas with the signatures makes the thing I already perform regularly a whole lot more powerful now. The resulting secrete signature(s) really allows one to have a virtually infinite number of possibilities in terms of what they can do with a signed card.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I don’t know if you recall, but I used to ”hang out” at TSD back in the days. Nice to ”see you” again, and thanks for showing interest in my book.

I know some dealers in Europe will carry this, but I don’t know when. I can find out and get back to you, if you’d like?

My best wishes,
Peter [/quote]

Hi Peter - of course I remember! Partly why I know this book will be a gem!

Miss TSD... especially the conventions!

Don’t worry about finding somewhere... I’ll get from Penguin!

Cheers

Jamie
Today I released my review of Resigned to Miracles from Hermetic Press and Penguin Magic.

Let me know your thoughts on the book as well!

https://youtu.be/gJsj2fTkSQ4
[youtube]gJsj2fTkSQ4[/youtube]
Jeff,

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive review. I'm floored by your effort effort and your insightful comments. You give very sound advice.

My best wishes,
Peter
Already have many ideas for this. I also perform something that uses the core concept here but your addition and ideas with the signatures makes the thing I already perform regularly a whole lot more powerful now. The resulting secrete signature(s) really allows one to have a virtually infinite number of possibilities in terms of what they can do with a signed card. [/quote]

Hi kissdadookie,

I'm glad you can use this on something you already perform, and I have an inkling of what it is. :)

My best wishes,
Peter

Hi Peter - of course I remember! Partly why I know this book will be a gem!

Miss TSD... especially the conventions!

Don’t worry about finding somewhere... I’ll get from Penguin!

Cheers

Jamie [/quote]

Hi Jamie,

I miss TSD too. Unfortunately I never was able to attend a convention. I hope we'll meet somewhere else some day. :)

Thanks for having faith in me and my material. I think you are going to like it.

Take care,
Peter

PropDog are stocking it - it was reviewed on their FB Live.
Hi all,

Resigned to Miracles is now also available at Vanishing INC.

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi all,

Here's a link to Alex's PropDog book review of Resigned to Miracles:
https://vimeo.com/447479456

My best wishes,
Peter Gröning
I thought I would chime in with another review.

A Clever title and an artful dust jacket makes for a good first impression. “Resigned to Miracles” by Sweden’s Peter Gröning is the latest offering from Stephen Minch’s Hermetic Press, and it’s a good one. The book is lavishly illustrated by the talented Tony Dunn. I counted almost 120 illustrations.

Here's what’s in it.

Front and center is the fusion effect, where two signed cards are fuse together, back-to-back. Peter Gröning has come up with a diabolical method of obtaining two cards with genuine signatures. In a section titled Concept, Peter provides the reader his thinking and psychology behind the method.

From there, the book is broken up into three main sections.

The first section, titled Resigned, provides you with four different approaches Peter has created for the Fusion effect; Resigned, Half Resigned, Resigned in Color and Resigned by Remote Control. Each has it’s own unique feature. This also is where you’ll obtain those secret signatures. Half Resigned for instance is designed to obtain one spectators signature, with the second being yours. Leaving the spectator a souvenir with your name on it.

In section two, Resigned Accepted, Peter provides several very visual effects in which to use the secret signatures. All but one uses cards. The one that doesn’t, shows how the concept can be applied to coins. The effects in this section, that really resonated with me include; Bit by Bit, Fade In, Gifted and Bizarre Assignment.

Bit by Bit involves the face of a card, which is signed on it’s back, becoming blank, then disappearing, only to be found in a sealed envelope that has been in view the whole time. Gifted involves the production of a ring size box from a card case in which you just removed the deck. The appearance of the ring box is a prelude to a signed card to box effect. It occurred to me that if you used a Jack, you would have a Jack in the Box. Bizarre Assignment is a cool melding of two classic Paul Harris effects, Bizarre Vanish and The Bizarre Twist.

The last section includes a few effects that don’t use the Resigned concept. It includes one of my favorites from the book, along with those listed above. It’s called Torn Between two Worlds. A card is torn in half, with each half being signed by a different spectator. The cards then become fused together, back to back. This could be a nice lead in to another effect using torn cards.

The writing is clear, with plenty of details. Peter’s personality shines through, with sprinkles of humor through out. No stone seems to have been left unturned. Peter covers all the nuances, subtleties and psychology for each effect in the book. You can tell he’s lived and breathed this concept a long time. For me, this was an enjoyable read. It’s one of those rare books that sparked a lot of ideas. I could see using this concept for some type of spirit writing or invisible ink idea.

Some gaffed cards are required for several of the effects. All are easy to obtain or make. In general, I would say the material in this book is beyond a beginner in magic.

“Resigned to Miracles” is a small, but deadly book you’ll want to have in your arsenal. A Big Thumb’s Up.
Hi motown,

Thank you for your thorough review and your kind words. It's greatly appreciated.

Your taste is impeccable - I like the same routines. Smile

One comment about Bit by Bit; the selection vanishes gradually in a couple of stages:
A card is selected and signed on its back; its face becomes blurry, still signed; then blank, still signed; it disappears, only to be found in a sealed envelope that has been in view the whole time. I think you get a lot of mileage out of one secretly signed card.

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi all,

Here's a new review from the Penguin site, by Todd Ace from North Highlands:

"Absolutely Genious!
For my style of performing every effect in this book has something new and solid to offer.
It has elevated the mystery of my performances to a level far greater than expected!
Huge Thanks to Mr. Groning!"

My best wishes,
Peter Gröning
I had an interesting thought for the effect Gifted, in this book. Gifted involves magically producing a ring size box from your card case after removing the deck. The ring box is for use with a signed card to impossible location effect. It occurred to me while reading this that it would be perfect for a playing card cube, under the right circumstances.

A square, the size of the card cube could be cut in the foam that's in the box, to hold it in place. The cubes can be made showing either the back or front of the card. If the front of the card was shown, A diamond card could be used, functioning like a diamond ring in the box. Either way would be an interesting use of the cube to revel the card.

I came across the idea making a cube out of a playing card from an issue of Gene Taylor’s periodical Antinomy (“Like a Rolling Stone”, by Dr. Giorgio Tarchini. It’s on page 13 of the 2005 Annual)and Robert Neale's book “Life, Death and Other Card Tricks”. He has a few of items that use the playing card cube. Both sources teach how to make it.

Neale’s book mentions the idea came from British magician Bob Ostin.
[quote]On Aug 20, 2020, motown wrote:
It occurred to me while reading this that it would be perfect for a playing card cube, under the right circumstances.
[/quote]

Hi motown,

This is a nice idea, thanks for sharing.

I forgot to mention that I really your previous idea "Jack in the Box"!

My best wishes,
Peter
Thanks Peter.

Your idea in the book for the Card Under Bottle made me think of those Russian Nesting Dolls. That would be a great prop to use with one of the signatures.
Congrats Peter for your book and offering this to everyone.
Do we need to carry around a lot of extra stuff?
Is there a video performance of any of the effects?

Thanks,
Sophocles
@motown:
Great idea! I'm a huge fan of introducing an item, that in the end is utilized in a very unexpected way. That was my purpose with the Card Under Bottle; having the signed the selection eventually appear in a bottle that has been in play the entire time (As you know it's quite possible to have the bottle capped, but the effect is more or less the same regardless.) Your Russian Doll idea is really a nice take on this. I think I have a set somewhere in the basement - I'll go on a scavenger hunt. :)

@Sophocles:
Thanks for your kind words. I'm really happy with how the book turned out.

You needn't carry anything, but an extra playing card and a marker. (Unless the manner in which you plan to use the secretly signed cards demands extra stuff.)

Unfortunately there is no footage of any of the material available, since it would a dead give away. (That said, there are a quite a few details discussed in the book that you wouldn't get from just watching a performance, but still. I must stress that rest of the material in the book isn't possible to perform without utilizing the concept; you need the secretly signed cards to perform them.)

Previously in this thread there are quite a few reviews contributed by others, which rather accurately describes the effects. However, if you have any specific questions about them, you just have to ask, and I'll do my very best to answer them; either in this thread, or if you prefer you can send me a pm.

Anyone else is welcome to chime in too, since it's always nice with an unbiased opinion. :)

My best wishes,
Peter
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Sophocles wrote:
Is there a video performance of any of the effects?[/quote]

In case this was something you were hoping to determine from a video... The spectators are openly asked to sign cards. In other words, there's no trickery regarding whether the spectators believe they're signing cards. It's not like you ask for their autograph in your guestbook and there's a cutout on the page with a card behind it, or anything like that (something I was imagining before I bought the book). The effects in the book rely on (not very difficult) moves and routining, not on gimmicks.
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, novasteeple wrote:
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Sophocles wrote:
Is there a video performance of any of the effects?[/quote]

In case this was something you were hoping to determine from a video... The spectators are openly asked to sign cards. In other words, there's no trickery regarding whether the spectators believe they're signing cards. It's not like you ask for their autograph in your guestbook and there's a cutout on the page with a card behind it, or anything like that (something I was imagining before I bought the book). The effects in the book rely on (not very difficult) moves and routining, not on gimmicks. [/quote]

In my opinion, the convincers and displays are some of the strongest I've come across. Natural, fluid, and highly effective.
Can these effects be performed in a strolling situation? Or are these more tailored for parlor/stage presentations?
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, loudini1972 wrote:
Can these effects be performed in a strolling situation? Or are these more tailored for parlor/stage presentations? [/quote]

I don't see why the foundational effect (to produce the duplicate card) couldn't be done while strolling (and Peter even mentions that scenario in the introduction), although I think there are three caveats: 1) As with all strolling scenarios, any effect would be diminished if the second group of spectators has already seen the performance for the first. 2) The more time that elapses between the foundational effect in which the duplicate is produced and the later effect in which it's revealed, the better. If you only have a few minutes with a strolling audience, this may not be the best set of effects to do. That said, if you could come back to a spectator later, even alone, it could be very powerful. For example, you could destroy the first signed card as part of your strolling set, and then tap the spectator on the shoulder in the valet line and ask them to look in their glove compartment (having asked the valet to put the duplicate card there). 3) There's some very quick and simple reset that shouldn't be done in the open, so depending on how much pocket space you have for multiple setups you may want to do the reset in another room.

After you have a duplicate card, you can do anything you want with it that you could otherwise do with cards while strolling (e.g., remove it from your wallet or shoe, tip it out of a matchbox).
@novasteeple:
Thanks for chiming in! I really appreciate having your honest opinion! :)

@loudini1972:
My two cents regarding strolling and routining.
Like novasteeple says, it's quite possible to perform the necessary routine while strolling to obtain the signatures. II entered a magic competition in 1999, and performed material from the book. I started off with Resigned by Remote Control to obtain two signatures, this was followed by a routine solemnly based on slight of hand. The came my Torn & Restored Card, and I finished with Bit by Bit. This set was performed in less than ten minutes. There are factors that has to be addressed when it comes to routining, though in my opinion it's most oftenly possible to find a way to make it workable.

I agree with novasteeple that it's much more favorable to let time elapse between the first routine and the one that follows utilizing the secretly signed cards, but I disagree that the following effect would be diminished if performed for the same group. In my experience, the spectators never connect the dots. It's difficult to explain without spilling the beans, but the signatures "stolen" will never be missed.

@kissdadookie:
Thanks for your favorable comment. I'm super biased, but in my opinion the first routine is a very strong item in itself, regardless if you use the secretly obtained signatures or not. As you well know it's my take on a very popular routine, and in my admittedly slanted view, it's pretty convincing.

My best wishes,
Peter
Can these effects be performed in a strolling situation? Or are these more tailored for parlor/stage presentations? [/quote]

I don't see why the foundational effect (to produce the duplicate card) couldn't be done while strolling (and Peter even mentions that scenario in the introduction), although I think there are three caveats: 1) As with all strolling scenarios, any effect would be diminished if the second group of spectators has already seen the performance for the first. 2) The more time that elapses between the foundational effect in which the duplicate is produced and the later effect in which it's revealed, the better. If you only have a few minutes with a strolling audience, this may not be the best set of effects to do. That said, if you could come back to a spectator later, even alone, it could be very powerful. For example, you could destroy the first signed card as part of your strolling set, and then tap the spectator on the shoulder in the valet line and ask them to look in their glove compartment (having asked the valet to put the duplicate card there). 3) There's some very quick and simple reset that shouldn't be done in the open, so depending on how much pocket space you have for multiple setups you may want to do the reset in another room.

After you have a duplicate card, you can do anything you want with it that you could otherwise do with cards while strolling (e.g., remove it from your wallet or shoe, tip it out of a matchbox). [/quote]

Or reverse your suggestion :) Who is to say that pr**ow can not be done for a strolling engagement? ;)
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
I agree with novasteeple that it's much more favorable to let time elapse between the first routine and the one that follows utilizing the secretly signed cards, but I disagree that the following effect would be diminished if performed for the same group.[/quote]

To clarify, I meant that it might be less impressive to the people sitting at Table B if some of them saw your performance at Table A already. This is an issue with all strolling -- it has nothing specifically to do with Resigned. Reveals just have less impact if you know already they're coming, that's all I meant.
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Or reverse your suggestion :) Who is to say that pr**ow can not be done for a strolling engagement? ;) [/quote]

Hi kissdadookie,

This is true! My first intention with the concept was to use Resigned in a strolling situation, and to utilize the duplicates in a second set on stage. Perhaps not pr* sh*w per se, but not far from it.

My best wishes,
Peter
To clarify, I meant that it might be less impressive to the people sitting at Table B if some of them saw your performance at Table A already. This is an issue with all strolling -- it has nothing specifically to do with Resigned. Reveals just have less impact if you know already they're coming, that's all I meant. [/quote]

Hi novasteeple,

I see your pointy, which is a good one. :)

My best wishes,
Peter
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Or reverse your suggestion :) Who is to say that pr**ow can not be done for a strolling engagement? ;) [/quote]

Hi kissdadookie,

This is true! My first intention with the concept was to use Resigned in a strolling situation, and to utilize the duplicates in a second set on stage. Perhaps not pr* sh*w per se, but not far from it.

My best wishes,
Peter [/quote]

It’s the logical thing to do! :)

After you have a duplicate card, you can do anything you want with it that you could otherwise do with cards while strolling (e.g., remove it from your wallet or shoe, tip it out of a matchbox). [/quote]

Thanks for the clarification and detailed response!
There is a snippet (10mins) of an interview with Peter Groning about the book and the Resigned effect here on the PropDog Live at about the 58 minute.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEQauyKJEM
In Magic Seen Magazine's Best of British, there an effect by Scott Penrose called Autograph Hunter, that would be a perfect application for Resigned.

It's a signed card to wallet idea, built around the premise of collecting autographs. The climax involves the performer pulling out his wallet to show his collection via an accordion fold of 10 or 12 plastic pockets, which cascade out. The last cards in the chain could be one or both of the duplicate signature's you obtain with the Resigned concept.

Heinz Minten also makes a Card Cascade Wallet, which could be used.

It has some good entertainment value as well as being a nice way to use the signatures.
Congratulations Peter! Andy over at The Jerx likes Resigned and thinks it’s one of the good methods available to us today for obtaining a legitimate signature secretly. He also thinks the Resigned effect is a solid one as well so he recommends the book :) Congrats as that is high praise in my book.
@motown:
Thanks for tipping yet another use for the signatures. This effect is new to me.

@ kissdadookie:
I'm really glad to hear this, thanks for telling about it.
Where can I read his thoughts on this?

My best wishes,
Peter
[quote]On Sep 2, 2020, Peter Gröning wrote:
@motown:
Thanks for tipping yet another use for the signatures. This effect is new to me.

@ kissdadookie:
I'm really glad to hear this, thanks for telling about it.
Where can I read his thoughts on this?

My best wishes,
Peter [/quote]

Andy assesses it in his members only monthly newsletter. He included some performance suggestions based on his own experience using Resigned. His verdict being that he recommends the book which is actually very high praise coming from him.

I’ve PM’d you with his write up so that you don’t have to go hunting for it.
Hi kissdadookie,

Thanks for sending me the text and for posting his verdict. I greatly appreciate it.

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi All,
Here is an interview with the charming Peter Groning. He discusses the origins of Resigned plus his thoughts on magic, mentalism and other things.

https://www.propdog.co.uk/blog/propdog-magic-shop-blog/peter-groning-resigned-to-miracles

He tips Bit by Bit as a great trick after performing Resigned, I can vouch that you get a lot of bang for your buck with it. The preparation isn't painful either, give it a go.

Best,
[quote]On Sep 5, 2020, Harry Patter wrote:
Hi All,
Here is an interview with the charming Peter Groning. He discusses the origins of Resigned plus his thoughts on magic, mentalism and other things.

https://www.propdog.co.uk/blog/propdog-magic-shop-blog/peter-groning-resigned-to-miracles

He tips Bit by Bit as a great trick after performing Resigned, I can vouch that you get a lot of bang for your buck with it. The preparation isn't painful either, give it a go.

Best, [/quote]

Very Enjoyable interview. Thanks for sharing. It was great hearing Peter's thoughts on his book.
Peter,

I was curious if you had ever played around with some type of spirit writing idea with your Resigned approach?
[quote]On Sep 16, 2020, motown wrote:
Peter,

I was curious if you had ever played around with some type of spirit writing idea with your Resigned approach? [/quote]

Hi motown,
Sorry for the late reply. Despite corona I've been lucky enough to get some theatre work, which has taken all my focus, though it's great to be back in the saddle again.

I've been playing around with ideas where writing appears on a card signed by a spectator, but I'm not sure if this counts as spirit writing. I suppose it ll comes down to framing. But I like your idea very much, and I'm quite sure there's a lot of potential in this. Do you have a specific route in mind, or are you just considering possibilities? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, if it's not asking too much.

Your thinking makes me glad, since this is exactly what I was hoping for - new ideas utilizing the concept being created. Thank's for sharing an interesting idea!

My best wishes,
Peter
Hi all,

I just got word from Penguin, that Resigned to Miracles has passed the thousand mark.
The notion of a thousand magicians world wide, has made the decision to purchase my book, is quite an eerie feeling, and by far surpasses my wildest expectations.

I'd like to thank all of you for having faith in a random dude from the North pole.

I hope that the material has served you well, and that you've come up with great applications for your secretly signed cards. I do understand that many perhaps aren't willing to share your ideas publicly on this forum, but I'd love to hear whatever thoughts you've come up with, so if you'd like, drop me an e-mail: peter@petergroning.se

My best wishes,
Peter
Happy as a clam; what a nice way to start 2021:

Resigned to Miracles has been awarded the "Penguin Magic Book Of The Year".
So happy for you Peter. That is awesome! Congratulations!
As it should. Well deserved.
Congratulations!
I can't think of another book which has excited me half as much.

Tack!
Luke Masters, emyers99 and Harry Patter,

Thank you for your kind words.
It means a lot to me, and is greatly appreciated.

Tack själva!
Peter
Very nice review of Resigned to Miracles in the February issue of Genii by David Britland.
Hi motown,

I'm not a subscriber of Genii, so thanks for the heads up.

My best wishes,
Peter