(Close Window)
Topic: Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery - free RRTCM-like resource for learning card magic
Has anyone here ever checked out the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery as a resource for card magic?

You can download it for free here: https://theburnabykid.com/nwmb/JACK.pdf

It was compiled by Andrew Musgrave (aka The Burnaby Kid), and you can read more about it here:

https://theburnabykid.com/nwmb/2018/10/14/the-jolly-almanac-of-card-knavery

From the Introduction of the book:

"[i]What exactly is the Jolly Almanac? It's a single-volume introductory text on card magic that should fit easily on your shelf. It's got old material and new material. It's got classic tricks with updated scripts. It's got methods and variations on those methods. It's got a ton of principles. With sleight of hand, it's not just about how to do the move, but what move to do, when to do it, and why, and this book has thousands of words of theory to cover all of that.[/i]"

Basically it compiles material from The Royal Road To Card Magic and some other sources (e.g. Erdnase) that are no longer subject to copyright, and updates, paraphrases, and annotates them. The result is a 242 page book, with the following contents:

● Introduction
● Part 1: The Overhand Shuffle
● Part 2: The Riffle Shuffle
● Part 3: The Key Card
● Part 4: Full-Deck False Shuffles and Cuts
● Part 5: The Glide
● Part 6: Forces
● Part 7: The Double-Lift
● Part 8: Miscellaneous Techniques
● Part 9: The Palm
● Part 10: The Top Change
● Part 11: The Pass
● Part 12: Miscellaneous Tricks
No.
For the love of all that is sacred- no.
Enders wrote: "The result is a 242 page book"
Did you mean a 242 page ebook, or has the faux zany one actually published this?
To my knowledge it's only available as an eBook.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
To my knowledge it's only available as an eBook. [/quote]
Good enough for me. Knowledge is knowledge, no matter how you get it. I downloaded it and read the first few pages past the contents and think this will be a nice addition to anyone's digital magic library.
"Knowledge is knowledge"

Nobody is disputing this.
I am a member of a discord server that spent some time with absolute beginners studying it. I was sad to see some RRTCM tricks did not make Andrew's cut, but in general I think it's great - and it has become my go-to suggestion for new magicians. JACK for learning tricks and fundamentals and Joshua Jay's Magic in Mind as an introduction to magic theory.

Both free, both downloadable.
Message: Posted by: disgruntledpuffin (Nov 12, 2020 09:01AM)
I think this is great.
"Both free, both downloadable". Sigh.
Free is cheap. I always say,everybody's right...
Free is always great thing.