(Close Window)
Topic: The Underneath - New from the creator of the Kn0win6 Game and the Carn3y Box
I can't keep this secret any longer!
Jack Straw hinted at this announcement in an earlier post. Some of you may have received an e-mail, for those still in the dark:
The Underneath features an experience so strong and so emotionally charged that absolutely no magic effect, in the classic sense of the word, is needed.
This special set of antiquated children's blocks includes a sinister secret that when shared with your audiences will instill a sense of fearful wonder.
They don't move, tumble, jump, or change. They do something so much more unique and just as ominous.
With the Underneath, secrets are uncovered, messages are communicated, and gateways are opened.

Check it out: enteru.wixsite.com/gatewaytoys

First I should declare, I have the privilege of calling Steve Peebles and Bobby Hasbun two of my closest friends. Frequently, I get to see their projects develop over time.
Several months ago, Steve paid me a visit and brought "The Underneath." My teenage daughter had a friend spending the night. She saw Steve and I looking at the blocks, and
asked, "Why are you playing with blocks?" Oh no.....it was on. I nodded to Steve and he started to explain these old blocks....
My daughter knows Steve and his bizarre side; however, the story was so compelling...the blocks so authentic...I could see these beautiful blocks clearly disturbed her.
My daughter's friend, is very religious and her reaction was...interesting. She didn't say much. I later found out why. She was scared speechless.
When she couldn't sleep because of these evil objects she came into contact with, my daughter asked for my help. I had to explain to both of them..I had to.

I love the bizarre. I'm not a performer for paid audiences. I am a collector of strange things. I have two (and will soon need to get a third) cabinet of curiosities.
I have many authentic bizarre artifacts mixed in with bizarre magic effects. Guests at my residence always go to the cabinets to look at my strange collection and see if I have aquired anything new. The Underneath now has a permanent home in my cabinet. I just need to be careful to whom I show the blocks - Lesson learned.

In the prior post (Jack Straw), there was a mention of price. I understand. Some fantastic bizarre magic has been released recently (See R1tual) and the pandemic has restricted budgets for almost everyone. However, I just need to say: You get what you pay for. Quality matters: Quality of the props and the quality of the experience.
So...You could buy some affordable low-budget props (that look like they were created by a child) with a ridiculous backstory.
When guests leave my house, I don't want them rolling their eyes. I want them saying, "That was amazing" while checking ebay to see if they can find one for themselves.

Also, remember TKG? How many decided to pass and are now searching for one on the secondary market? And willing to pay a premium price?
This is limited edition. When it's gone, you will wish you had one. I will never sell mine.

I wanted to let you know about this before it passes you by

If you've got questions or need to contact Steve: Magic.life8228@gmail.com
Thank you for this. The website and film are great, but the website renders such that some of the images obscure the descriptive text.

It is not clear what the effect is or does.

The blocks look great and the theme is strong.

Best wishes

Todd
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 20, 2020 11:50AM)
Reminds me a lot of the set-up for the 1993 computer game, "The 7th Guest."

Not that that's a bad thing.
OMG Vanderbeck, I was hooked on that game.
Just read the pdf. The Underneath is a masterpiece!
I frankly didn't really understand what the UNDERNEATH was all about until I read the performance manual. This is so good! A fantastic bazaar routine that starts with "hmm that's really weird", then moves on to "that is seriously creepy" and concludes with "WTF!". I love the progressive story that seems to just flow out of the props... Bravo Steve, you haven't disappointed me yet.
The effect is not spelled out: As Steve says at the end of the performance manual ( and I'm paraphrasing ) " The effect & method are intertwined. Protect your investment by not revealing the effect. Otherwise pirates will pounce on my creation " So.... you have to buy it blind. And it it is one of the truly great pieces of Bizarre Magick ever offered. Along with R!tual by Bobby Hasburn.
For those of you that took the leap of faith (without knowing exactly what is was), ordered The Underneath, and read the PDF, I knew you would love this...
@ Steven-Gibson, you are so right! It builds and builds to a WTF moment that can truly disturb!

Wanted to pass on a message from Steve:

The first 25 sets of The Underneath have sold out. Thank you to all who purchased a set!

Here is how the 2nd phase will be handled.

PLEASE NOTE There will be an approximately 6 week build time for the next phase with some being done in 4 weeks.
The Underneath is a very labor intensive project with every aspect (excluding the mill work) being done by hand.
Thank you for your understanding.

If you would like a set, email me of your desire to acquire one and I will send you the details.

Magic.life8228@gmail.com

The price will be 275.00 USD.shipped anywhere in the US.
Overseas orders will be handled case by case.

Again you all have my utmost gratitude for your incredible support!

Steve
I received Steve's email in the small hours of the morning and pulled the trigger right away. Although it was a little difficult to understand the total concept I trusted my past experiences with his other releases. After reading the PDF I have a more clear idea of where he is going. I'm looking forward to getting the physical props in hand and letting the creative forces loose.
I missed #25 last nite as I was emailing Steve, but at least I'm on the wait list for one in the last of the 19.
Bobby's R1tual purchase got most of my mad money & of course all the kewl stuff comes out in pairs timing wise....lol.

Looking forward to Steve having last sets ready to go, yes he's never disappointed in the past & that's a no brainer for this & his next continued creations !!

Can't wait for 4 / 6 weeks to pass fast, of course I'll have to, lol
Package received today.

Exponential increase in activity among all artifacts in collection, particularly when paired with other relevant objects from era.

Lovely and disquieting.
Package at the door when I arrived home today.
Let the games begin....
Something very creepy just arrived at my house
[quote]On Sep 21, 2020, Intrepid wrote:
Something very creepy just arrived at my house [/quote]

Usually that is my family members....
I was lucky purchaser #1 (sometimes pays to stay up into the wee hours!!) and my lovely little package of evil arrived yesterday, as have many others apparently.

This is a real beaut!! I love Steve’s concept of the Terrifying Object, and the workmanship that went into this is clearly evident. It is creepy all on its own with the provided backstory (or any other that you’d like to create), and the built-in functionality adds such a convincer to it.

Prof BC has a chapter in Phasmology (Blue Peter) focusing on a similar concept, and talks about the importance of having a prop that is unsettling all by itself, and powered mainly by the story around it. These blocks absolutely meet that threshold, but then they overdeliver because they can actually DO some weird sh!t!

Very happy with this purchase— Steve is a genius artisan of the Dark Arts. I was one of the cursed who missed TKG, and will not allow that to happen again!!

Seth
Mines just made it over the’pond’ to the UK. Just waiting for the posty now.........
I found an "Easter egg" I believe it's intentional. Any one else ? Looking for others....
[quote]On Oct 2, 2020, reese wrote:
I found an "Easter egg" I believe it's intentional. Any one else ? Looking for others.... [/quote]

Easter egg where?

In the instructions or the blocks?
On the box.
Easters already gone though, will it keep till next year?
Let's hope next year allows us to show it to more than a few. It is one of the greatest terrifying objects in my collection. Surpassing the mummified chupacabra. Or the 2-headed laboratory rat. Or the Amazon River Devil. Etc. Those are static terrors. These simple child's blocks tweak human brains into a terrible uncertain space. What a beautiful place to be. I can't wait to see what else get's revealed from the Toy Makers Catalog.
[quote]On Oct 10, 2020, reese wrote:
I can't wait to see what else get's revealed from the Toy Makers Catalog. [/quote]

Agreed. The possibilities are endless. I bet any one of us could think of at least one toy from our youth that could fit into this catalog. For me, it would be Feeley Meeley ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/559220478714970796/?d=t&mt=login ). It was a simple box with four felt covered holes that kids would stick their hands into and guess the objects inside. Of course it was a commercialized version of a scary party game played in the dark, where grapes were touched and described as eyes, spaghetti was guts and so on. But having this concept wrapped up in a vintage box could work.

Not sure what would be inside though, but I'm thinking it's a portal to another place or time. Imagine a box you openly put fun objects into, but nothing fun comes out.

The toy company will indeed be a delightfully horrific idea to build on.
That is so great! I remember one Halloween reaching into eye balls & guts. Peeled grapes & cold spaghetti! I believe you are right. Mocking up the right vintage box is brilliant. Reaching into felt covered holes to experience it. Thanks man! You have truly helped me in my evil quest! A wonderful concept. You have my utmost admiration.
I had two very selfishes wishes this year. That a) Prof B.C and b) Steve Peebles wouldn't have spent lockdown dreaming up and creating wonders. Sadly for me but excitingly for many of you it looks like Steve has come up with another absolute gem which sadly due to finances I can't afford to purchase this time around. I have a Carn3y Box. It is incredibly small, it is incredibly simple and it is one of the most beautiful, ingenius and adaptive items I own. If you don't own a Peebles then you are missing out. If you are in any doubt whether this will be worth it, don't. It will be, just buy it because either a) you will absolutely love it and will keep it forever and take it to your grave. (The most likely scenario) Or b) you are dead behind the eyes and won't like it in which case when I get my new business fully up and running by working my socks off over the next year and can afford to do so I will buy it off you anyway...without hesitation....see..... win win.
It's been sold out pretty much instantly, the 1st run & the 2nd. There's nothing to buy.
Mine is in the mail.

Oh joy.
[quote]On Oct 11, 2020, Wizard of Oz wrote:
[quote]On Oct 10, 2020, reese wrote:
I can't wait to see what else get's revealed from the Toy Makers Catalog. [/quote]

Agreed. The possibilities are endless. I bet any one of us could think of at least one toy from our youth that could fit into this catalog. For me, it would be Feeley Meeley ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/559220478714970796/?d=t&mt=login ). It was a simple box with four felt covered holes that kids would stick their hands into and guess the objects inside. Of course it was a commercialized version of a scary party game played in the dark, where grapes were touched and described as eyes, spaghetti was guts and so on. But having this concept wrapped up in a vintage box could work.

Not sure what would be inside though, but I'm thinking it's a portal to another place or time. Imagine a box you openly put fun objects into, but nothing fun comes out.

The toy company will indeed be a delightfully horrific idea to build on. [/quote]

Personally I had a rather mundane and normal childhood.

I'm sorry that you had to experience these horrors.
Yes mine should arrive tomorrow in da mail - yaaaa !!
The bizarre building blocks of the afterlife 😃
Mine arrived. Wow!
Just arrived, opened up & OOOOO-MMMMM-GGGGG !!!!! WOW !!!!!

The wife saw it & asked why I bought a box of old dirty & worn out childtrens abc blocks ??! I smiled & just said, "don't know, I was drawn to them for some weird reason"....lol

Steve, these are absolutely authentic looking thru & thru, can't wait to put these in action !!
Can't wait to see what other creepy toyz you'll be creating for next years line up !
[quote]On Oct 26, 2020, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Just arrived, opened up & OOOOO-MMMMM-GGGGG !!!!! WOW !!!!!

The wife saw it & asked why I bought a box of old dirty & worn out childtrens abc blocks ??! I smiled & just said, "don't know, I was drawn to them for some weird reason"....lol

Steve, these are absolutely authentic looking thru & thru, can't wait to put these in action !!
Can't wait to see what other creepy toyz you'll be creating for next years line up ! [/quote]

Can't wait to see how much the divorce cost you when you prank your wife with them and she finds out. lol
[/quote]
Well said. I'm going to have to remember than line.
[quote]On Oct 26, 2020, Intrepid wrote:
[/quote]
Well said. I'm going to have to remember than line. [/quote]

It was a great line. I usually have the seller include a note saying it is a gift for my assistance. Lol
[quote]On Oct 26, 2020, weepinwil wrote:
Can't wait to see how much the divorce cost you when you prank your wife with them and she finds out. lol [/quote]

Who says I ever let her know about that this is all rigged & gimmicked stuff....😈

Wife is pretty religous, me not so much. I tell her I find this stuff at Salvation Army, garage sales & weird things 4 sale online. She watches those ghost shows, haunted collector, etc & keeps telling me I'm going to bring one of those haunted demon possessed items home one day & THEN they'll be hell to pay !! LoL

I usually reply, "ok well I'm still waiting for that to happen".....about then I find a reason to leave the house while saying "What Was that sound" 😂
Merlinsmagic, you might want to get a few of Willie's cards and leave them around for your wife. Any more of your shenanigans and she may be needing his services...
Funny you should say that David, wife works at a funeral home but never brings her work home lol.
She keeps telling me swing to by work & she'll take care of me there......
I have my copy available for sale. Against my better judgement but I just had a very unexpected expense come up and I'm a week out from payday. I will probably regret this forever.. but it's here for the taking. PM if interested.
Every October I perform ghost tours in historic downtown Acworth, a suburb of Atlanta (in the past I also presented a haunted pub crawl, but not this year because of the pandemic). They sell out every year quickly. One of the houses nearby was reputedly haunted by a child. A family who lived in the house in the 80s had a girl child who would see “boy” in the house, and he became a playmate of their daughter. Later a different family lived in the house and their child had the exact same experience with “boy” without knowing about the other family’s experience. I covered their stories in a chapter of my book Acworth; Heritage, History, Hauntings. Recently a new owner of the house requested information on the home’s history, not knowing the information in my book. She had a contractor open the sealed attic of the home. When the attic was opened a tremendous burst of energy occurred, and the contractor took a photograph of what looks like a child emerging from the opening. In the attic they found a box of children’s blocks. On an online forum the home's new owner asked about the history of the home, and a local told her about my book and the chapter that references her home. While I have a routine that would fit (Toys in the Attic in my book Arcana of Bizarre Magick), I think that this particular routine amazingly fits the bill for my next year’s Pub Crawl.
I'm just curious.

I gather that most people have the kit now (I do), but I am surprised that no one has given any reports about performance and reactions.

Usually these kinds of props get a lot of chatter on the Spooky/Bizarre forum.
Unfortunately, the virus situation precludes using it an front of and getting reactions from anyone other than my pets. Willie has a more captive audience.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2020, Winks wrote:
Unfortunately, the virus situation precludes using it an front of and getting reactions from anyone other than my pets. Willie has a more captive audience. [/quote]

Pets?

You gotta get out more.
I had recieved mine recently so did not have time to play with it & work it into the lil parlour show I had planned on fri & Halloween.

However with Xmas season upon us, this will play fantastic with a Krampus themed show I'm working on. Toys that Santa could have left, or was it Krampus....??!!??
Starting off with perhaps an xmas story to set the mood with CC Dopps, Dan's Krampus,this, a few other xmas-ish effects & perhaps ending with the last toy - R1tual.

I'm excited to do a few pre xmas show in Mid/late Nov if all goes well & plan on using this to get a feel for Dec's show plans !
[quote]On Nov 2, 2020, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]On Nov 1, 2020, Winks wrote:
Unfortunately, the virus situation precludes using it an front of and getting reactions from anyone other than my pets. Willie has a more captive audience. [/quote]

Pets?

You gotta get out more. [/quote]

You haven't met my pets.
Since Covid parcels coming to Australia take anywhere between one and three months to arrive. So it was with total amazement that I discovered that The Underneath had arrived two weeks after it shipped. My theory? Fear! The postal workers could sense the evil and wanted to get it off their hands as soon as they could.
Anyway, whatever the reason, demonic intervention being another possibility, it has arrived in Australia. Of course, I wanted to write a review straight away but that just wasn't going to happen. I've spent the last few days reading the pdf, playing with it myself and performing it to the world's worst audience, my family.
So what can I tell you? Clearly it is beautifully produced and looks, feels and smells exactly as it should. Steve has avoided the temptation to overage either the blocks or the box and I have no concerns that anybody would ever question that this is exactly what it purports to be, the worlds most evil children's toy. As for the performance it is a joy to perform and even my family sat attentively hanging on every word and believe me that never happens.
As I hope you can tell I absolutely love The Underneath and Steve has made it so easy to fit into so many kinds of routines. This fact alone is a huge deal for me. To have such a powerful effect that can be seamlessly slipped into such a wide range of routines makes this a priceless addition to my collection. Thanks Steve
It is utterly unique. I am so thankful that I have it to someday use for an audience.
My set of The Underneath came and it looks, so, so, good.
It really does look like an actual product that was out there in the world, that you bought used from a garage sale or a thrift store.
It isn't weathered to death or made to look creepy in any way.
The wear and tear on the box and on the blocks is totally believable, which makes the effect that much more spooky and cool.
I cannot wait to use it and get reactions from real people when the pandemic ends.
In the meantime I'll be practicing in the house with it and working on what backstory(ies) I want to use and creeping myself out.
With the proper care and attention to presentation - The Underneath can be terrifying - I will say that I fully believe it to be one of the best props in bizarre magic next to R1tual - it looks as it is supposed to - no weird white spray paint to age it - no ridiculous "look how darkly magical I am" effect - Just pure expertly crafted terror in a box.
I agree; the Underneath is something I will use (once the virus lifts a bit) And I was taken aback by the white on 2 props at first, put out by another. (W.T.F. ? was my exact thought) But in defense of the craftsman who created them (not the company who sold them) there's the context of performance. The talking board is played out in low light. It looks great in candle light. And the over-the-top occult look to it has served me well in the few times I've used it. The seances were over-the-top . All hell breaks loose at the end where I completely lose control. Yeah, more spookshow I know. I sometimes like spookshow... the maker also offered a traditional Fludd style board you could choose if you wanted something understated. A wonderful craftsman whose work I appreciate and am grateful to.
Message: Posted by: revenantproductions (Apr 5, 2021 06:56AM)
I regret that I missed this release, but if anyone is looking to part with theirs, please drop me a message as I'd love to put this into a show.
Is this one still available? new to this thread and this looks amazing. thanks!

Ted
Just learned this is not available any longer. If anyone is no longer using and selling their copy please let me know! thanks. - Ted