(Close Window)
Topic: Working?
Just curious whose working now?
Me.
Me too.
Well “working” yes. But not as usual.

I make the majority of my money working on major national tours. Those aren’t happening right now although there are a few “drive-in” concert tours happening.

Variety / magic wise... All of the city events that I was booked for this year were canceled. A show that I was going to self promote for a run in November gave me the option of canceling with a 100% refund or continuing with 50% venue capacity. Without knowing if a second wave will shut things down again I chose to cancel.

That being said... I’m working on new projects, new skills, and trying to guess what the future will bring. Some days I get more accomplished than others but for the most part, I’m taking advantage of the time off from touring and thinking about a new future. Not how I would have planned my year but it actually may be the best thing that could have happened for me. (I say that acknowledging that this has been a terrible year for many people, and I do genuinely feel sorry for those in other circumstances.)
I likewise have no "shows" or performances as I did but still consulting for a new project in Tokyo and directing some new long term acts in LA. We have 6 cities of Drive-Ins we're doing in October so we're also designing and setting up that show now. I would love to be back on stage performing but that's just not going to happen for a while.
I'm doing shows.
This is exactly why entertainers' business should have multiple sources of income. If one should cease temporarily or even worse, you have the others to sustain, survive or maybe even thrive.

Shows are coming back in many parts of the country and in many markets but with restrictions of sorts or reduced capacities.

Yes, I am confident there wil be a second wave this fall and winter, which I have been preparing for in my busisesses since June. Some even believe it could be worse than the first wave. I've talked to insiders ar Pfzier and it seems a reality. Others believe this will magically start to disappear after the election.
We're all obviously hopeful. I have 30 episodes of a TV series filming here in January (under COVID Restrictions) and then our European tour is scheduled (as for now) in May... assuming that other countries will actually let us in by then!
I am personally amazed by the number of people I talk to who have talked to "insiders" at some company that has some information nobody but them have about the situation.
Well, I have 4 birthday gigs this week. But I'm only doing outdoor gigs due to Covid, so I'm doing less shows than usual and turning down indoor gigs. I had an OK amount of Zoom shows, but that seems to have gone out of style and people have switched back to in person gigs mostly. I'm guessing Zoom shows will increase again after October.
I am glad to hear my magic brothers are working.
I have a show tomorrow and two shows next weekend. All are birthday parties but at my "high-end" pricing rate. I have two more bookings for future dates. One is a wedding reception and the other is for a men's fraternal group. Oh, I also have a Christmas show booked in December which booked me for this year immediately following my show last year. I am getting several requests for quotes which is a good sign I think. Things are starting to pick up.....I think.......I hope.
Great Misterillusion
I've been doing shows since early July, but its just a small fraction of normal business. Honestly, I see no end in sight. My new hope is that the summer of 2021 will begin to see some normalcy.
We’re half way through two 10 day runs in Alabama and Atlanta.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2020, Kevin Ridgeway wrote:
We’re half way through two 10 day runs in Alabama and Atlanta. [/quote]

That’s awesome! How’s attendance at the fairs this year?
And a second question... how safe do you feel working the fairs? It doesn’t get much more socially distant than hanging alone 20’ in the air I suppose!
!
In Branson it is pretty safe. We are producing shows in a larger theater venue, and doing my close up show.

I don't want this to turn in to a "right or wrong" debate in the least. The shows have rules in place, and we follow them exactly. They have a mask ordinance that can result in fines or loss of license for the business so whether you agree with it or not you comply.

Here in this part of the world there is just not a large impact from this disease as far as people killed by it since January. It is still pretty low in the county I think. Horrible for those who ARE impacted to say the least. I would never take away from that aspect of this horrible situation.

Nobody is doing intermission meet and greets. Or post show for that matter. Most guests seem to use common sense. After all no matter what you think nobody wants to be sick do they?

In my close up show I have changed it so nobody HAS to take cards. I have gloves (Like the buffets have for those using the same serving spoons.) if people WANT to take them or handle something. "Groups" are spaced by 6 feet, not individuals within those groups. It is different, but it is just life now.
Yep. Same thing here. But, to be honest the people are really getting tired of being told to wear the mask.
Yea true. The mask thing really is getting to be a huge thing here too.

I'm not taking a position, just adding what is going on.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
In my close up show I have changed it so nobody HAS to take cards. I have gloves (Like the buffets have for those using the same serving spoons.) if people WANT to take them or handle something. "Groups" are spaced by 6 feet, not individuals within those groups. It is different, but it is just life now. [/quote]

That’s a good idea. I had thought about having a big pump bottle of sanitizer to offer for anyone that assisted or handled objects, but having gloves is probably even better.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2020, Bairefoot wrote:
Yep. Same thing here. But, to be honest the people are really getting tired of being told to wear the mask. [/quote]

Maybe it would be better to do as they did a hundred years ago with last pandemic. They sent the police out in the streets and anyone not wearing a mask was shot dead. The documentary on YouTube will enlighten you of how serious not wearing a mask, by simply coughing of talking to close to a person, can kill them in a most suffering manner.
Yea that has no bias at all.
It is not about bias, it is coming together as a county of citizens and doing your part to save lives. If not then you are not an American.
It is about a lot.

And by the way it is about a lot more than just America.
Do you watch the news, most of the European countries followed the instructions, and many of them are totally clear of the virus.

It is about America, how come we heard on the news about China having the virus outbreak, then not 2 days later, the news reported that the virus hit Chicago.

New York, was just not up on how to handle a lock out with all those cruise ships landing and Air Ports not supervised at all.

At that time, the U.S. was punishing China, and already has sanctions against Russia, not to much mentioned about North Korea.

Here is a lesson how history repeats itself, but they don't teach American history in schools any more.

It would be interesting to know if any history scholar tried to contact Washing DC to inform them of what was coming, because it sure looks like none of our rich congressmen had a clue.

Thank goodness that that second wave has not hit yet.
I had no idea you were such an infectious disease expert.

Regardless of who did what wrong, and many a mistake was made, you don't get to apply knowledge people have TODAY to a situation that was happening in real time then. History is easy. You get to look back and criticize. Real time is much tougher.

Mistakes were made no doubt. But please be intellectually honest and judge them in the context of what was happening and what was known at the time. As I said plenty of mistakes, plenty of blame to go around so no need to pretend they knew things they may not have.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 27, 2020 10:19AM)
[quote]On Oct 1, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Do you watch the news, most of the European countries followed the instructions, and many of them are totally clear of the virus.
[/quote]

I live in Europe and that... is utter nonsense. I have no idea which newschannel you watch, but I can tell you it is rubbish. They are lying. Literally every single European country is struggling with very high numbers (of people getting infected and needing medical attention in hospital).
[quote]On Oct 27, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[quote]On Oct 1, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
[/quote]

I live in Europe and that... is utter nonsense. I have no idea which newschannel you watch, but I can tell you it is rubbish. They are lying. Literally every single European country is struggling with very high numbers (of people getting infected and needing medical attention in hospital). [/quote]
He was taking a political position, based on political talking points. This is why I let it go. If you are going to start using facts and proof this discussion will become impossible.
I never stopped working...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 29, 2020 12:48PM)
Ah. There is a doctor in the house.
I'm not a full-time entertainer any longer but loved that time in my life.
I took a big hit because of things and then had emergency spinal surgery (just now getting back to some form of normality)

Things are different now.