(Close Window)
Topic: TikTok Exposure Trend
Hi All,

I'm sure most of us are sick of the 'exposure' discussion, but there seems to be a new trend on TikTok where magicians perform and quickly reveal marketed tricks. As an example, this guy reveals one of the Sucker Punch gimmicks and a few others in this video:

https://www.tiktok.com/@magicianshin/video/6865924620839685377

What's frustrating is this video has 95mil views. Also, the magician does not attempt to explain or do a tutorial. It's simply a quick reveal for views.

Look, I'm all for a guy doing a full tutorial on a 'french drop' or a 'dl' on social media, as it gets people interested in the art, but the point of this is simply to give the audience 15 seconds of random secrets...

Wondering if companies can't put clauses in their products stating that the effect has 'social media rights' but not 'exposure rights' or something along those lines? Where will these revealers draw the line. He may as well reveal a $300 electronic gimmick or one of the fancy magic apps we all use.

Just a thought.
You can't stop people from exposing magic methods or gimmicks, any more than you can stop people from exposing how to rewire an electrical plug just because it's bad for Electicians' businesses. Magicians have had it good for a long time, but the Internet exists to spread information, and that's not good news for people who rely on the relative secrecy of their methods. Magicians started it by sharing their information via books and eventually video, but that sharing is accelerated now and still accelerating, and control has largely been lost over who can or can't expose a method or gimmick.
Legally the only way to enforce it would be to prohibit the performance of an effect through copyright law, but that makes selling the effect pointless, and you'd still have to litigate and win. It also wouldn't stop the exposure aspect

On the up side, 95 million views is a lot but I have to assume the numbers are skewed because I find it unlikely that greater than 1% of the world's population has watched this video, so I assume Tiktok counts repeat views as views, but even then that's 1% of the population which still leaves the overwhelming majority of humanity who won't have seen how this gimmick works.

On the down side - It's only going to get worse. You're concerned now because someone you perform to might once have seen a video on TikTok, but you're maybe a decade or two away from people watching your effect live through augmented reality that explains the methods in real time and offers them a discount code if they want to purchase the gimmick immediately with 2-hour shipping via drone to wherever they happen to be standing at the time.

The only real solution I see is to not rely on one-off gimmicks or unmodified tried-and-true routines. Combine effects, combine methods, use them in new and unique ways, but the days of relying on the obscurity of a published method in order to astonish are numbered.