(Close Window)
Topic: Taken to the grave
Hi there,

I'm really curious to know what magicians have taken their secrets to the grave, never to be revealed and only to be guessed at.
You are three posts away from finding out. :) When you reach 50 posts two new areas of the Café will magically appear: "Lets Make a Deal" -- where you can buy and sell on the forum; and "The Banquet Room" -- which among other things will have a sub-section called "Secret Sessions." On the fourth page of Secret Sessions you will find a thread titled "What effects have the most closely guarded secrets."

My contribution to that thread, which also applies to yours: General Grant's dove dyeing technique
I've seen Genreal Grant's doves and they didn't look good. Don't get me wrong Gen is a really nice guy, but I don't think he did the doves any good by coloring them.
Thanks Tim, I'll look out for that door opening. To be clear, I'm not looking for the secrets nor ones still closely guarded, rather those we will never know because they are lost in time. But maybe that's included in the section you mention.
[quote]On Oct 17, 2020, Tom G wrote:
I've seen Genreal Grant's doves and they didn't look good. Don't get me wrong Gen is a really nice guy, but I don't think he did the doves any good by coloring them. [/quote]

Not to turn this topic into a discussion of General Grant, but his doves were probably the most well kept birds in our business. He was very caring and his coloring did absolutely nothing to harm them. For the most part, his coloring secret did go to the grave with him. Not sure if you knew but Gen passed away on July 20, 2019, one month short of his 88th birthday
Dave, thanks for that, when I saw him, the doves looked awful, but good to know he took care of them. When I saw Victor and Diamond lecture years ago, he mentioned coloring birds was not good, and he really seemed to care about the birds.
Done incorrectly, the coloring can be hurtful but Gen's method was completely safe. When Gen stopped performing, he stopped coloring and the birds regained their white feathers with no problem.
Since I somewhat derailed this, I'll get it back on track. Tom Baxter had an effect called A Dianoetic Rage. There's a description of it along with some theories. When he passed, supposedly he gave someone the secret to it. I will say on the few occasions I've been privey to and underground/legendary effect they've been a little disappointing. Mostly legend.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2020, Tom G wrote:
Since I somewhat derailed this, I'll get it back on track. Tom Baxter had an effect called A Dianoetic Rage. There's a description of it along with some theories. When he passed, supposedly he gave someone the secret to it. I will say on the few occasions I've been privey to and underground/legendary effect they've been a little disappointing. Mostly legend. [/quote]

Ooh yes just reading about this effect on another thread. Sounds incredibly strong and now just an unsolved mystery.