(Close Window)
Topic: Recommended source for learning CMH
It seems like this is a classic impromptu trick that I should know.
What are good sources for learning this trick?
I think you should learn this from others. It is very difficult to learn from the written word.

Dan Harlan's "Magic With Rubberbands" Vol. 1 teaches it.

Good luck, this a great trick.
It is! It is not a "quick learn," but very worth a little effort to get it. I was discussing with a friend about the impact that CMH had over many other routines in a recent performance.
Michael Ammar also teaches it in his Classic Renditions Impromptu Rubber Band Magic. Although this is a good video it is my opinion that the Dan Harlan DVD, Magic with Rubber Bands volume one, is better, at least for me. It seemed a bit easier for me to learn from Dan's DVD, plus there is a lot of other material on the DVD you may enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Bill
"The Magic of Michael Ammar"

This book is a classic of magic, and comes with so many more things, other than elastic magic, that you WILL use.
Could someone please describe the effect of cmh? I am not familiar with this, but see it mentioned a lot. Thanks. joey
A penetration effect. Two rubberbands are interlocked. Then, as if by magic, one rubberband penetrates the other. A very old trick that got its renaissance when David Copperfield did it on a TV special. CMH is short for "Crazy Man's Handcuffs."

/Christian
I agree that your best bets are either to get a video or have some one show you in person. While somethings can be easily learned by reading, this one can be a bit tough.

Lincoln
Another vote for the Magic of Michael Ammar.Brilliant!
Andre
The really nice part about Michael Ammar's explanation in his book is that he gives you the psychology and reasoning behind the moves. This way, you can really understand not only what you are doing, but why you are doing it.

Once you learn Ammar's version, move on to Dan Harlan's video for some supplementary moves you can add in order to build a little more of a full routine.
Check out Dan Turcotte's lessons on http://www.youdomagic.com. The lesson consists of a very detailed19 page pdf booklet, a 4 minute video lesson and two videos of live restaurant performances. All in all a great resource for learning a CMH routine. Great value.
Thanks for the tips guys
Actually,

If you do CMH, and like it, may I recommend:

Dan Harlan's "Magic With Rubberbands" Vol. 1, 2 & 3!!

There is so much material, all you need to carry is a few rubberbands on your arm, and you have a complete act!

Ammar's great, but Harlan is the rubberband MASTER!

Just my HO...

Doug
I remember seeing Copperfield do this on a special many years ago and being totally puzzled by it.

When I discovered the trick in Tarbell v7 I started working out the mechanics. It takes a knack to do it right. It wasn't until I found a video clip online (can't remember where that one is now, but Penguin's online demo of Quantum Band-its is a good example) that I understood exactly how the handling worked.

If you do not have Tarbell, I would recommend a video in order to see the little nuances involved. It's not that big a deal, but it can get a very strong reaction.
I've been working on this for almost 10 years now, and I'm STILL perfecting little nuances and psychological subtleties that go into my routines.

I originally learned this from Tarbell as well, followed up by Elastrix 1, and then Michael Ammar. Only recently did I start studying Dan Harlan and I must say that he has taken my thinking on the CMH to a whole new level. Thank you Dan, you're a wonderful teacher and I've learned a lot just from watching you and your tapes.

So, a great starting place would be Michael Ammar. His work on the basic handlings are unsurpassed. Once you are comfortable with the basic handling, keep practicing for a number of years until you can do this routine IN SLOW MOTION IN FRONT OF SOMEONE'S NOSE and they can't catch it. Once you're at that point, you've mastered the psychological subtleties that help misdirect the eyes as well as the mind of the spectator. THEN go for Dan Harlan's material to step it up a notch (BAM!).

Good luck...

-= Mike
Which Tarbell is it in?
Tarbell 7 I believe...
I just had a look at Tarbell 7, p.214 The Uncanny Penetrating Rubber Bands. It's a different handling of CMH. Ammar's and Harlan's handling is superior to Tarbell, but it might be different enough to throw off the magicians that know the effect. There's lotsa good stuff in Tarbell. I am going to reread them.
-=> Rubber Dougie <=-
There is a free version (video) of this somewhere on the net. That's how I learned it. I found it somewhere on this site.
Dave
Buy instead the Linked For Life rubber band effect.
It's very stunning!
For those looking to learn it, bear in mind that the original CMH is JUST the unlinking move. Some sources also teach you to link the bands "magically" as well. The linking move uses the same principle, but a much different handling.

I worked out the "link" move for myself after some thought and playing around. It's a little more difficult than the unlink, but with practice is even more mind-blowing.

If you know CMH but can't figure out the linking move, PM me for some hints.
"Linking?"

I have to agree with Michael Ammar that it's sort of an "anti-climax" to the routine (his, anyway).

The struggle you go through to set up the bands as linked reinforces the "impossibility" of what they're about to see. If you add the re-linking, then the spectator naturally concludes that it wasn't that difficult ("magical") in the first place.

Sometimes the hardest lesson for magicians to learn is to "quit while you're ahead."
Check out do you want to learn magic? dvd by rob stiff...or not. check out his handling of CMH.
[quote]
On 2004-07-08 12:42, Dave VanVranken wrote:
"Linking?"

I have to agree with Michael Ammar that it's sort of an "anti-climax" to the routine (his, anyway).

The struggle you go through to set up the bands as linked reinforces the "impossibility" of what they're about to see. If you add the re-linking, then the spectator naturally concludes that it wasn't that difficult ("magical") in the first place.

Sometimes the hardest lesson for magicians to learn is to "quit while you're ahead."

[/quote]
It's funny I ended up looking at this post because I didn't know what CMH stood for (DUH!), but I really agree with the point made. Know when to quit!
I just purchased Shattered from Wolf's Magic.
After looking over the multiphase routine, I decided to simply break and restore the mirror because, while the multi phase routine is some excellent stuff (that I will keep in the quiver), it becomes redundant or dilutes the fact that you just visually repaired a broken mirror. You just performed a miracle, the end.
Magicians tend to muddy the plot and focus too much on what Eugene Burger calls the adventure of the props in the magician's hands. While we love to show our "chops" the reality is that we can also lose an audience or make them suspicious when we don't want them to be. Richard Osterlind uses a very basic false shuffle with his work with his Breakthrough Card System, because he doesn't want the audience to think that he is a skilled card manipulator, which by the way he is.

An example of watering down an effect, in my opinion is using a card to impossible location as a climax for an ambitious-card routine. Before you flame me, read on:

The ambitious-card has just proven your skill at manipulating cards from every conceivable position in the deck under the watchful eye of the spectator. Now it ends up in the box on the table. The only thing, in my mind, that creates is; the question of how you manipulated the card into the box, plus youíve already proven that you can get the card to the top of the deck undetected which is where most people would assume that you can palm the card from. I think the simple pop up move or Darylís finale are more effective endings for the ambitious-card routine. The signed card to impossible location, in my opinion, works better when framed as a prediction. Not only does the card match the one you choose, but also it has your signature on it!

They are two separate and distinct effects. I wouldnít even do them in the same set and if I had to do them both, I would do the card to box BEFORE the ambitious card! Yet we see these effects blended into one routine. Thatís just my two cents.
I read it from Ammar's book, then just watched other magicians, and got the hang of it that way. I have also been shown some neat little addions to it. I always have rubber bands on my wrist now.

Brian
The Quantum Bands instant download from Penguin Magic is the cheapest source I've found so far if you want to get the basic idea quickly. All the other sources above are good too, some of which you may already have (like Tarbell). I find it valuable to see/read about various handlings.

Regards,
I think once your shown how to do it by someone you can pick it up really quick,trying to learn it from the written word would be harder.
if your looking for it on video I'd go with Dan Harlan as he is well known for his work with rubber bands, however just to add another place you can find it Jay Sankey's real world magic video.
Hi.
I learned the effect for FREE from a local magician. I'm not giving you his name though. I suggest YOU learn it from Michael Ammar's book (not sure what it's called).

Best,
Michael
The Crazy Man's Handcuffs By Michael Ammar is the name of the book. I learned it from this manuscript. Two hours of fiddling with rubberbands and reviewing the manuscript and I finally got the hang of it. Some things are not covered and you just have to figure them out yourself. I would suggest if you want to learn this great trick is to get a video or dvd. I think it would have been much easier and quicker to learn.

Martin :pirate:
Another vote for Magic by M. Ammar!

ciao
All of the sources mentioned above are good
Elastrix
Dan Harlan's "Magic With Rubberbands"
Penguin's Magic "Quantum band-its"
The Magic of Michael Ammar

I personaly enjoyed learning it from Michael Ammar's book.
You can find it as an instant download at Penguin Magic.