(Close Window)
Topic: New Website - looking for feedback
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 24, 2020 09:43PM)
Hey all, I just relaunched my website with a full rebrand, emphasizing my magic much more heavily than balloon twisting (which had previously been my main business). I specialize in kids show magic, and that's the emphasis in the design of it. So Matt The Balloon Man is now [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com]Matt Matthews Magic![/url] I'd really appreciate your thoughts about the overall website. Looking for feedback on everything from usability, design, content, etc.

A thing of note that I touched up or added were the blog posts. I added one in particular talking a Zoom Magic show I did over the summer for [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com/news/zoom-magic-in-bridgeport]a local library[/url] in order to try and promote my [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com/zoom-magic-shows.html]Zoom magic shows,[/url] since those seem to be really big right now. I also created some landing pages for specific towns and added links from blog posts that were relevant. So, for example, I'd had a blog post from years ago talking about how I [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com/news/teaching-balloon-twisting-in-wallingford-ct]taught balloon twisting to S.A.M Assembly 127,[/url] so I created a landing page for that town -- [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com/wallingford-birthday-party-magician.html]Wallingford, Connecticut[/url] -- and linked to it from the post to see if it helps drive traffic. I'm no expert at this stuff, but this is the kind of thing the experts recommend, so fingers cross, we'll see how it all goes :)

One last thing I did was I finally ditched my gmail account and signed up for a Google Workplace account to host my email address. So I'm finally got a business email address and feel like I might actually be starting to turn in to a professional. I'm kind of sorry I didn't do this sooner - it's only $12 a month and gives me all the power of gmail to use with my domain email, plus 2 terabytes of cloud storage, which seems like a useful thing to have. But I'll report back in time as to whether it's really worth it or not. I know there are free options for hosting email through your domain, but I just don't want to use a crappy interface from my hosting company. I'd much rather something solid like a Google product. Of course I'm all ears if anyone else has other options!

Thanks in advance for the feedback, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say :)
Message: Posted by: psychod (Nov 25, 2020 04:24PM)
Matt,

I think your website looks pretty good. I think it does tend to look more professional when you have your own domain email but that may just be me. I have a couple of suggestions and they are really small and they might just be me: The top page picture on your website is kind of blurry. I understand when another person takes a picture, you don't control it but it kind of stuck out to me as your video right under it is nice and crisp. The other thing is also really small in your FAQ section where you ask if you are the right magician for the child's party and you say that the parent is asking the right questions and it just feels to me that you should write that the parent is asking the right question (singular). I know, these are pretty picky details and I may be the only one who sees them as an issue! Overall, I think it looks really good and I wish you the best of luck and hope that it brings you a lot of business!

Dave
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Nov 25, 2020 05:48PM)
In 5 seconds without scrolling I could tell what you do and who you perform for. That’s better than most performers websites right there.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 25, 2020 10:09PM)
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, psychod wrote:
Matt,

I think your website looks pretty good. I think it does tend to look more professional when you have your own domain email but that may just be me. I have a couple of suggestions and they are really small and they might just be me: The top page picture on your website is kind of blurry. I understand when another person takes a picture, you don't control it but it kind of stuck out to me as your video right under it is nice and crisp. The other thing is also really small in your FAQ section where you ask if you are the right magician for the child's party and you say that the parent is asking the right questions and it just feels to me that you should write that the parent is asking the right question (singular). I know, these are pretty picky details and I may be the only one who sees them as an issue! Overall, I think it looks really good and I wish you the best of luck and hope that it brings you a lot of business!

Dave [/quote]

Thanks! I agree on both points. I corrected the singular/plural issue. And I agree on the photo. It's just kind of the best I had for the moment (it's actually a screen grab from a video I took of myself at one of my shows). It's not the best quality, but I liked that it showed me on stage, which is a little more impressive that in someone's living room. I think it lends a little bit of authority to me.

Unfortunately with no shows happening now, probably all winter, I won't have many opportunities to get better. But I do have someone I've commissioned to do some art of me for a different project, and I may be able to repurpose that in to a cool collage. I may try to do that when the art is done, thank you for the suggestion. I wouldn't have thought to do that without your nudging!
Message: Posted by: docdazzal (Nov 26, 2020 08:47PM)
Hey Matt...

Great looking site...lots of info, but doesn't overwhelm. Wishing you all the best...
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Nov 26, 2020 10:37PM)
I guess I would have to disagree with most that are giving favorable reviews here. My first question is what is the purpose of your website? What is the one action or response you want a viewer to take? What is your primary message? Who are you targeting with your primary message?

Answer these then I will offer some quick at-a-glance, first impressions of it if you're interested.

It always amazes me how guys will praise a performers website without having any idea of it's actual intended purpose.

It seems to be the typical web site guru's idea of what a website, should be, but not for an entertainer or an entertainer's audience, but for general business.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 27, 2020 04:30PM)
The website is for people looking to book a magician for a child focused event, usually a birthday party. I want the people to fill out my contact form and book me.
Message: Posted by: danfreed (Nov 27, 2020 05:21PM)
The photo at the top is blurry, change that ASAP. It's really worth it to hire a pro photographer to go to an in person event, though you can wait till in person gigs go back to normal and maskless. You can also pull stills off your video if needed, and not too grainy. Once in a while if a photo is a bit blurry or grainy but otherwise a really great photo, then that might be OK, but not as a main photo. Also, change your font in your paragraphs to something readable, not a cartoon style font. Better yet, hire a web designer if you can afford it.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 29, 2020 04:58PM)
Okay, so I spent a couple of hours playing around with other concepts for the cover photo and finally came up with something I like. It currently sits as my [url=http://www.facebook.com/mattmatthewsmagic]Facebook[/url] cover photo, but when I went and put it on the site, it occurred to me that I actually think the site is better without a cover photo. As a couple of you had mentioned, the video just below the cover photo is nice and crisp, and I'd love to just get people to watch the video (since I think doing that sells the show better than any photo or block of text can). So why not just get rid of the photo all together and let the video of my magic show stand as the main visual, above the fold, so to speak.

So I threw up a test for you all to check out. My [url=www.mattmatthewsmagic.com]home page[/url] has no cover photo, but my landing page for [url=https://www.mattmatthewsmagic.com/waterbury-kids-magic-shows.html]Waterbury[/url] (a city I'm advertising to) currently DOES have the cover photo. You can take a look at both and let me know what you think is better. I'm strongly leaning toward just axing the cover photo all together.

Thank you all for your feedback! It's been very helpful :)
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Nov 29, 2020 06:13PM)
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
The website is for people looking to book a magician for a child focused event, usually a birthday party. I want the people to fill out my contact form and book me. [/quote]


Yeah, obviously, which is what I was afraid of.

I just glanced at your website which I always prefer to do when I check out a site to get a general first impression. As someone who has seen hundreds of kids performers websites, here are my first thoughts…

Very poor, ineffective first fold - non-grabbing, no establishing or positioning, no contact info

Poor Headline, Poor Sub-Head

Don’t get me started on the “same as many kids magicians” animated logo that looks nothing like you, lol

Poor quality photo (as others have pointed out), I’m guessing a screen grab

Very Texty - Your font is a feature font (large, bold)

I am not a fan of the hands-off, fill out a form, no live contact type of booking - especially for kids performers

Way too many mentions or references to Matt The Balloonman if you are trying to rebrand or reposition

Connecticut’s BEST birthday party magician” - Really? Says who? Prove it. I hate false, unsubstantiated claims like this. They are unnecessary, especially for someone not known as a birthday party magician!

Not a fan of guarantees, especially one that promises “screaming”

7 minutes is a bit long for a kids show demo

I prefer websites to be directed to a specific target, to speak directly to them and their language. The site is slated very much to you rather than them.

Your FAQs comes up way too soon, prematurely

It took me way longer to just type this all out than I spent at your site, but please accept these as being helpful critiques as intended. I typically go much more, greater and deeper into such critiques with my coaching students, but this is a start for you since you asked.


If you are doing and marketing for Zoom shows this should be on your home page, preferably the first fold - front and center.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Nov 29, 2020 06:21PM)
Oh man it went from bad to worse!
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 29, 2020 10:23PM)
That's a lot to mull over, thanks for feedback!
Message: Posted by: landmark (Nov 30, 2020 12:28AM)
[quote]Probably! Maybe? I'm based out of Wallingford, CT, which has the advantage of be fairly central to the state. I joke that the Wallingford/Meriden area is close to just about everything in Connecticut, due to their proximity to I91, I84, I691, and Rte. 15.[/quote]

Two grammatical mistakes in those sentences.

Better, "being fairly central" and "due to its proximity."
Message: Posted by: danfreed (Nov 30, 2020 12:35AM)
Well, about photos versus videos, I suggest using both, and both need to be quality. I've noticed some people don't watch the video before they contact me, they just see the photos of laughing happy kids and a fun silly guy(me), maybe read reviews, etc. Others watch the video, sometimes several times. Some just watch a minute of the video, some birthday moms tell me their kid has watched it multiple times.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Nov 30, 2020 12:41AM)
One more typo:

[quote]I need you to provide access to and electrical outlet[/quote]

Change to "an electrical outlet"
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Nov 30, 2020 08:50PM)
Thank you for catching those grammatical errors! They are fixed now :)

I agree, I should really get some high quality photos. I've had a few shared with me by birthday parents who own fancy cameras, but I used to wear this crazy orange suit back then. I've since switched the look, so the photos are no good anymore. It'll have to be a priority once shows start happening again.
Message: Posted by: Donald Dunphy (Dec 1, 2020 10:07AM)
First observation. The main font (body text) you use on your website is very challenging to read in large quantities. Makes me want to skip reading.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned to you yet, but you have too many fonts on your website, between the headlines, body text, and the various fonts (and various point sizes) you use for testimonials, etc. Conventional advertising pros suggest 2-3 fonts at the most in marketing pieces.

I have a really hard time reading to testimonials part of your website, because nothing seems to match.

- Donald
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 10:00AM)
[quote]On Dec 1, 2020, Donald Dunphy wrote:
First observation. The main font (body text) you use on your website is very challenging to read in large quantities. Makes me want to skip reading.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned to you yet, but you have too many fonts on your website, between the headlines, body text, and the various fonts (and various point sizes) you use for testimonials, etc. Conventional advertising pros suggest 2-3 fonts at the most in marketing pieces.

I have a really hard time reading to testimonials part of your website, because nothing seems to match.

- Donald [/quote]

Thanks - I'll reevaluate that. But the testimonials are screenshots from various websites where they've been posted and I think the relative value of showing that they are real reviews outweighs issues with the fonts.

But I have heard from a few people that the main body font should change, so I may consider doing that. Thank you for the advice :)
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Dec 4, 2020 10:13AM)
A lot of good and helpful advice has been offered. Are you understanding the "whys" behind these things or are you just taking them as criticisms? Hopefully you can see many of these things are directly connected to your business model and approach to business, which is a component of your foundational level. If this is not in place and clearly understood -first, you are kind of approaching the building of your website on a wing and a prayer or just based on personal preference.

Is the goal to increase bookings? Positioning your self in a certain, predetermined way? To differentiate yourself from other kids magicians in your market or performance area? To allow you to get greater pricing within your market? These and many other important questions need to be addressed or determined first. This will dictate and almost guide you properly into what and how your website should look, be designed, and then created.

Remember, this is an entertainment website, which is different than conventional business websites. The entire mindset, approach, and process differs. There are many components to a successful entertainer's website. I hope you are understanding much of this rather than just seeing it as a surface level thing or just thoughts and opinions from some friends offered here.

Are you part-time or full? Why have you chosen to offer your pricing on your website? Just curious, as there are so many questions.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 10:38AM)
So I went and cleaned up the font stuff a bit, thank you everyone for that feedback. Looking more critically at it I realized that my footer text was all in a completely unrelated font. That was just a mistake, so it's fixed. And the hard-to-read stuff is changed to a cleaner font that compliments that headline font. I have left the reviews for now, but one option I considered to bring them more in line is to only use screenshots from one source - like, only Google reviews with none from Facebook or GigSalad, for example. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I may experiment with it.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 11:33AM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Why have you chosen to offer your pricing on your website? Just curious, as there are so many questions. [/quote]

Well, to answer that particular question, why WOULDN'T someone offer pricing on their website? I think I have a pretty good grasp on my market, since my average customer is a millennial with kids between the ages of 4 and 9, and I am a millennial with kids between the ages of 4 and 9. And I know, for myself, when I'm looking for services, I look for two things: reviews and prices. When I browse the internet, I do a Google search, open a bunch of tabs, then go through them looking for the info I want. If I can't find it, I close the tab and go to the next.

Offering pricing on the website is a competitive advantage in the year 2020. Anyone who's not offering it looks shady to me, as a consumer. And my price isn't changing, anyway. It's not like I'm going to feel them out and then quote based on what I think they can pay. That may be the way some magicians do it, but to me that's dishonest and not worth the effort.

An old school mentality would say, "make them call you to get pricing so you can sell them on your program before you tell them the price." But very few people book through the phone these days. I'd say about 90% of my bookings come from email and we never speak on the phone. It's an inquiry through my contact form, a follow up or two via email, then a deposit via credit card and we're done.

That's just the reality of business today. I'm making it easy for my customers to find the info they want to make an informed buying decision.

And also, yes, I think I'm understanding well the feedback I'm getting. I've already made two substantive changes based on it, so thanks to all who commented.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 4, 2020 03:49PM)
I would never give a deposit to someone I have never spoken with.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Dec 4, 2020 04:09PM)
Yes, there is so much wrong with this approach, mentality, and some of things expressed above. A great example of operating from a "me" perspective rather than an industry understanding and perspective. MY guess is he is listening to some other magician's approaches or programs as can clearly be seen. This is what is wrong with magician's programs and perspectives rather than entertainment business (industry) operations.

Also I do not buy the Millennial perspective at all. Business models and industry operations exist the same regardless of generations.
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Dec 4, 2020 04:51PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would never give a deposit to someone I have never spoken with. [/quote]

On the phone you mean? Or do you count back and forth e-mails?
Message: Posted by: TomBoleware (Dec 4, 2020 06:09PM)
Looking good Matt.

One thing I did notice that didn’t read well is under the My Guarantee on the ‘Packages’ page
“If the kids aren't the kids aren't laughing”

Honestly, I didn’t like the way your Guarantee read at all on the ‘Packages’ page

However, I did really like the way you had the Guarantee on the Preschool MAGIC SHOW page

“When I say "guaranteed," I mean it! Every show I do comes with a 100% MONEY BACK guarantee! I want you to hire me with confidence, so if your audience doesn't absolutely LOVE the show I will refund your money in full.”

I would use that one on the ‘Packages’ page too.

It’s very hard to find our own mistakes so my suggestion is to have a non-magician proofread all your text for you.

Good Luck with it,

Tom
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 4, 2020 10:02PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, thomasR wrote:
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would never give a deposit to someone I have never spoken with. [/quote]

On the phone you mean? Or do you count back and forth e-mails? [/quote]

On the phone.

I am not saying I'm right or wrong. Simply stating a position. I'm also not saying he necessarily should change anything.
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Dec 4, 2020 10:11PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, thomasR wrote:
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would never give a deposit to someone I have never spoken with. [/quote]

On the phone you mean? Or do you count back and forth e-mails? [/quote]

On the phone.

I am not saying I'm right or wrong. Simply stating a position. I'm also not saying he necessarily should change anything. [/quote]

Yeah I was just wondering what you meant that’s all.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 11:05PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would never give a deposit to someone I have never spoken with. [/quote]

I think you're very much the exception, Danny. I've been doing this for years and have taken several hundred deposits online without ever speaking to a person. Like I said - about 90 percent of my bookings are done this way. People go to my website, they see my reviews, they watch the video, they can tell I'm a pro and they're sold. That's good enough for pretty much everyone.

Of course if someone wants to speak to me first I'm happy to oblige. About once a year or so I do get someone who wants to talk to me on the phone before paying the deposit (maybe to feel me out, maybe to ask me questions more efficiently than back and forth emails, I dunno), and of course I happily oblige.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 11:12PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Yes, there is so much wrong with this approach, mentality, and some of things expressed above. A great example of operating from a "me" perspective rather than an industry understanding and perspective. MY guess is he is listening to some other magician's approaches or programs as can clearly be seen. This is what is wrong with magician's programs and perspectives rather than entertainment business (industry) operations.

Also I do not buy the Millennial perspective at all. Business models and industry operations exist the same regardless of generations. [/quote]

Yes, human behavior is notoriously homogenous across generations.

Now, when you say, derisively, that I'm "listening to other magician's programs and perspectives," you mean to say that I should instead be listening to your perspective? Of course people will disagree, and that's cool. But it seems like you're suggesting that only you have the correct perspective, which seems kind of silly to me.

My way has been working great for me. I may not have been clear earlier, but I've been in business for nearly a decade. My business has grown steadily every year (up until COVID, of course), so I think I'm doing something right. The rebrand was because I started primarily as a balloon twister called Matt The Balloon Man. As I've grown to primarily be a magician, the name was understandably causing confusion for my customers. I showed up to a library show last year where, despite all our communications, the librarian had billed me as a "balloon show." And when the magic show was over, one kid disappointedly asked where the balloons were. I can't blame the librarian - my name was "Matt The Balloon Man." So I needed to rebrand.

But I'm not new to the business of this. I appreciate your feedback, but I don't agree with everything you've said. That's not criticism - we don't have to agree, and we can both be right for our own businesses.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 11:15PM)
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, TomBoleware wrote:
Looking good Matt.

One thing I did notice that didn’t read well is under the My Guarantee on the ‘Packages’ page
“If the kids aren't the kids aren't laughing”

Honestly, I didn’t like the way your Guarantee read at all on the ‘Packages’ page

However, I did really like the way you had the Guarantee on the Preschool MAGIC SHOW page

“When I say "guaranteed," I mean it! Every show I do comes with a 100% MONEY BACK guarantee! I want you to hire me with confidence, so if your audience doesn't absolutely LOVE the show I will refund your money in full.”

I would use that one on the ‘Packages’ page too.

It’s very hard to find our own mistakes so my suggestion is to have a non-magician proofread all your text for you.

Good Luck with it,

Tom [/quote]

You're right! The original language (on the main page of my site) is based on something I read from Ken Scott, here on the Café many years ago. I was originally worried that parents might exploit a money back guarantee, so I wanted something objective to anchor it to. But I've come to decide that no one ever does that. People just aren't that shameless. In about 8 years in business I haven't ever had one person even hint that they didn't want to pay, so I probably tried out the new language on the library page for that reason. I should update it across the board to reflect that, thank you!
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 4, 2020 11:25PM)
Although, the more I think about it, the more I think there's merit to what is being said here. I think ALL magicians should keep pricing off their website and require that prospective clients call them on the phone to book. The goes DOUBLE for all magicians serving the kids show market in my state. Please - if you're a Connecticut magician, listen to the pros here. Don't let your customers know your pricing without calling you first. It's a surefire way to increase bookings.

Granted, you will be increasing MY bookings, but you will be increasing bookings ;)
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 5, 2020 12:09AM)
Hilariously arrogant.

Interesting that while I SPECIFICALLY said I didn't claim my way was right or wrong OR that you should change anything you then go to claim your way is right and others doing it other ways will increase your bookings.

Way to look open minded
Message: Posted by: barrychad (Dec 6, 2020 07:25PM)
Just wanted to add that you should add NAP (Name, Address Phone) info to the contact page and in the footer. Make sure it is consistent with the NAP you use on Facebook and Google My Business and other online channels. That is one of the elements Google looks for in delivering local content and helps Google understand where you are. Good to see you are using https: secure. But your blog/news is hidden and you don't have a way to find topics or search your site. You have already gotten a lot of feedback and of course everybody finds the points to improve upon - it's constructive criticism so bravo for you opening up for the comments.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 9, 2020 02:33PM)
[quote]On Dec 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Hilariously arrogant.

Interesting that while I SPECIFICALLY said I didn't claim my way was right or wrong OR that you should change anything you then go to claim your way is right and others doing it other ways will increase your bookings.

Way to look open minded [/quote]

Open minded just means being open to other points of view. I am 100% open to your point of view. I read it and considered it, but I decided I disagree with it. Open minded doesn't mean you don't ever come to conclusions.

My "listen to the pros here" line was snarky. I shouldn't have said that. I appreciate that you've taken the time to give me the feedback you have, so thank you! And I'm apologizing for suggesting otherwise.

And FWIW, if you show me evidence that proves me wrong, I'm all for it. I'm not trying to be right at all costs. At this point we're both just giving our opinions, but if you can show me some evidence to support yours I'm 100% open to changing my mind (and I will genuinely appreciate you for it).
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 9, 2020 02:43PM)
[quote]On Dec 6, 2020, barrychad wrote:
Just wanted to add that you should add NAP (Name, Address Phone) info to the contact page and in the footer. Make sure it is consistent with the NAP you use on Facebook and Google My Business and other online channels. That is one of the elements Google looks for in delivering local content and helps Google understand where you are. Good to see you are using https: secure. But your blog/news is hidden and you don't have a way to find topics or search your site. You have already gotten a lot of feedback and of course everybody finds the points to improve upon - it's constructive criticism so bravo for you opening up for the comments. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice! A couple of follow up questions for you:

With regard to my NAP, I do have my phone number on my contact page; does it need to be structured in some way so Google recognizes it? My address is hidden in any directory where I can hide it because I operate out of my home in what Google would call a Service Area Business. I think that's okay, right?

My real blog, the one labeled "News" is not hidden as far as I can tell. But I have another blog called "Press Releases" which is no indexed because many of the press releases are duplicate content and I have heard that Google will penalize you for that. Those press releases were for my 2019 library magic shows, and each one was basically the same article with only one or two quotes from the librarians changed. And then one of them got picked up by a local newspaper which reprinted it verbatim, so I also didn't want that to get penalized since it contained a backlink to my domain. I know this got in to the weeds of SEO stuff real fast, but you clearly know what you're talking about on the topic and I'm just learning, lol.

I'll look in to a search function for the blog, thanks for that. I think I disabled it but I don't remember why. At some point I'm going to have to migrate the whole site off of Weebly (which is where I am now) to a proper Wordpress website anyway... but I'm not looking forward to doing that.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 9, 2020 02:56PM)
[quote]On Dec 9, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
[quote]On Dec 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Hilariously arrogant.

Interesting that while I SPECIFICALLY said I didn't claim my way was right or wrong OR that you should change anything you then go to claim your way is right and others doing it other ways will increase your bookings.

Way to look open minded [/quote]

Open minded just means being open to other points of view. I am 100% open to your point of view. I read it and considered it, but I decided I disagree with it. Open minded doesn't mean you don't ever come to conclusions.

My "listen to the pros here" line was snarky. I shouldn't have said that. I appreciate that you've taken the time to give me the feedback you have, so thank you! And I'm apologizing for suggesting otherwise.

And FWIW, if you show me evidence that proves me wrong, I'm all for it. I'm not trying to be right at all costs. At this point we're both just giving our opinions, but if you can show me some evidence to support yours I'm 100% open to changing my mind (and I will genuinely appreciate you for it). [/quote]

Naw no need. Snarky first club off the tee is all I need. I don't have to prove anything to you and honestly have no desire to.

Whether you accept it or not (And your arrogance pretty much prevents you from ever seeing it.) there is a segment of the population who will never work this way.

Also it should be said there is a segment of the population who either don't mind, or would not work any other way.

Again I'm not saying one way is better than any other way.
Message: Posted by: TKD27 (Dec 9, 2020 11:17PM)
[quote]On Dec 9, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

Also it should be said there is a segment of the population who either don't mind, or would not work any other way.

[/quote]

I honestly don't understand what you mean here. I am proposing that my way of doing it gives my clients more flexibility. The prices are there on the website for them to see and they can book by calling me or emailing me.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I understand your argument to be that it is better not to include a price on a website or give clients the option to book without picking up a phone and making a call. That seems to be offering fewer options. I truly don't see what segment of the population would not work my way, considering my way just gives them flexibility to book me in their way.

Again, feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood your point. Or don't, as you decided to attack me personally, said you have no interest in continuing the debate, then continued the debate. I guess I don't really care.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 10, 2020 12:17AM)
I actually made no statement about listing price. I simply said I'd never send money to someone I didn't at least speak to for an event like a party.

As for price I don't have much of an opinion. If I had to give a position it is that I cater to the "if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it" crowd. So listing prices is not in my wheelhouse. Nobody buys me based on price and in reality I think if they are that is a mistake on my part.

But I'll say that I only disagree with the price thing in the web page because it can raise an immediate objection that you can not answer. It is why I think phone is better. Objections can be answered this way. Also you can upsell if that is your thing on the phone. Virtual upsell is much more difficult.

All only things to consider, not meant to change your mind and not debate. You asked so I clarified, maybe a bit more than you wanted and for that I'm sorry.
Message: Posted by: barrychad (Dec 16, 2020 03:39PM)
[quote]On Dec 9, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
[quote]On Dec 6, 2020, barrychad wrote:
Just wanted to add that you should add NAP (Name, Address Phone) info to the contact page and in the footer. Make sure it is consistent with the NAP you use on Facebook and Google My Business and other online channels. That is one of the elements Google looks for in delivering local content and helps Google understand where you are. Good to see you are using https: secure. But your blog/news is hidden and you don't have a way to find topics or search your site. You have already gotten a lot of feedback and of course everybody finds the points to improve upon - it's constructive criticism so bravo for you opening up for the comments. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice! A couple of follow up questions for you:

With regard to my NAP, I do have my phone number on my contact page; does it need to be structured in some way so Google recognizes it? My address is hidden in any directory where I can hide it because I operate out of my home in what Google would call a Service Area Business. I think that's okay, right?

My real blog, the one labeled "News" is not hidden as far as I can tell. But I have another blog called "Press Releases" which is no indexed because many of the press releases are duplicate content and I have heard that Google will penalize you for that. Those press releases were for my 2019 library magic shows, and each one was basically the same article with only one or two quotes from the librarians changed. And then one of them got picked up by a local newspaper which reprinted it verbatim, so I also didn't want that to get penalized since it contained a backlink to my domain. I know this got in to the weeds of SEO stuff real fast, but you clearly know what you're talking about on the topic and I'm just learning, lol.

I'll look in to a search function for the blog, thanks for that. I think I disabled it but I don't remember why. At some point I'm going to have to migrate the whole site off of Weebly (which is where I am now) to a proper Wordpress website anyway... but I'm not looking forward to doing that. [/quote]

Sorry for the late response.

Google is really just looking for consistency with the phone number so if you want to use (xxx) xxx-xxxx or xxx.xxx.xxxx - just make sure it is formatted like one would expect a phone number. This will also allow your phone number to be click-to-call on a mobile device.

Yes, if you don't want to show your address, I would not put it on the website but do make sure that you clearly state what your service area is on the website - if it's in the footer then it is clear on every page of your website. That is the first thing people look for when booking a performer - is he in my area?

I think you are fine with not indexing the duplicate Press Releases. While Google doesn't "penalize" Google will recognize the original content but not give ranking juice to the duplicated content. And without going into the weeds of SEO, I agree that the most important presss release is the one picked up by the local newspaper.

Your reviews are just images (while that gives them an official look) they are not readable by the search engines. You could at least add alt-tags to the images so that a screen reader and Google knows it is a review.

You may also want to add a Recaptcha to your contact form. Once spammers find an opening they can rapidly fill your website, even though the information doesn't get published.

(when you move off of weebly, I can recommend a knowledgeable team...)

Hope that helps.
Message: Posted by: ezystreamlive (Apr 29, 2021 01:39PM)
For me and I do sell extensively to the kids market but in another country

the websites a bit messy and there doesn't seem to be a funnel that leads to a sale

its not clear cut A leads to B leads to c

the promo video which is your core selling tool takes 24 seconds for a reaction from the kids- that is far too long- perhaps film at a variety of parties and get different reactions - as there are no images- they have to wait 24 seconds to see what you can do. a promo video if you don't have images should be Reaction reaction reaction and then something longer, some reviews and achievements - but you need to hit the customer faster with reactions- they are time poor and most likely have opened several magicians websites on their google search at the one time

Your customers are time poor and they want to know if you are any good in the video- they check reviews and boom make an enquiry

On my own site I connect with the facebook and google API- so their reviews instantly go to my website automated- I don't think the screengrabs are that good looking


I developed an instant SMS quote and availability check on my site they get prices, availability and can book right there and then- and 70% of my bookings are- they make a quote request and are booked in 5 minute later happy to share a link in a private message so you can see what I am talking about. I like SMS over email- its unblockable and doesn't end up in junk)

Having prices on the website- means people visit your site and leave without you knowing. where as an enquiry form allows you to see if here is an issue- 22 enquiries- 5 sales- something is not working right

an enquiry system that is instant (fill out a form and have the prices on the thank you page) allows you to send an automated email this time next year as a followup-

You don't constantly have to get new enquiries you can automate reconnecting with last years enquiries

and if your customers are like mine- 70% are on there mobile when viewing your site
Message: Posted by: ezystreamlive (Apr 29, 2021 01:47PM)
Also I will say when you first load the home page it doesn't answer the question your customer is asking

Does this guy do magic shows for _______



_______ = birthday parties, christenings , vacation cares etc

I'd have a dedicated birthday page and a dedicated Library page that you can SEO the heck out of
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 29, 2021 07:21PM)
[quote]On Apr 29, 2021, ezystreamlive wrote:
For me and I do sell extensively to the kids market but in another country

the websites a bit messy and there doesn't seem to be a funnel that leads to a sale

its not clear cut A leads to B leads to c

the promo video which is your core selling tool takes 24 seconds for a reaction from the kids- that is far too long- perhaps film at a variety of parties and get different reactions - as there are no images- they have to wait 24 seconds to see what you can do. a promo video if you don't have images should be Reaction reaction reaction and then something longer, some reviews and achievements - but you need to hit the customer faster with reactions- they are time poor and most likely have opened several magicians websites on their google search at the one time

Your customers are time poor and they want to know if you are any good in the video- they check reviews and boom make an enquiry

On my own site I connect with the facebook and google API- so their reviews instantly go to my website automated- I don't think the screengrabs are that good looking


I developed an instant SMS quote and availability check on my site they get prices, availability and can book right there and then- and 70% of my bookings are- they make a quote request and are booked in 5 minute later happy to share a link in a private message so you can see what I am talking about. I like SMS over email- its unblockable and doesn't end up in junk)

Having prices on the website- means people visit your site and leave without you knowing. where as an enquiry form allows you to see if here is an issue- 22 enquiries- 5 sales- something is not working right

an enquiry system that is instant (fill out a form and have the prices on the thank you page) allows you to send an automated email this time next year as a followup-

You don't constantly have to get new enquiries you can automate reconnecting with last years enquiries

and if your customers are like mine- 70% are on there mobile when viewing your site [/quote]

This seems like valuable information in any country!
Message: Posted by: ezystreamlive (May 4, 2021 01:51AM)
For me putting prices out on the open on your website is ONLY if you are competing on price alone and you are aiming to be the cheapest magician or entertainer in your area.

But from a marketing standpoint - its poor marketing- The only database of customers you are developing are those who book.

Me I have 15K enquirers- whenever I do a public show- I can instant send them a promo. If I am selling to a festival for example- I can say as part of my magic show sales pitch to the organisers I'll promote their festival to my email list of 15K - give me a family pass and I'll make a competition to win a family pass to your festival etc- you are missing out on opportunities by not developing that marketing list. Its so easy to have a form and then on the thank you page the prices- but you get that valuable email address and or mobile. I can now send an instant mobile alert (I can do it but I don't do it) I stick to emails for my newsletters and they are not once a month or once a week- they are when I need to send them except when I follow up 1 year later for birthdays and the xmas promo.

IN Australia halloween is not big- we don't have events like the USA but you could be selling your halloween services automated.

do I have a public zoom show- Boom I have 15K people to send the promo to- you can't do that because people enter and leave your website without you knowing.

Gees I even got free tickets to the illusionist 2.0 - I asked for 4 tickets (2 for me and 2 for others) if I send an email out to my database promoting their show

Do I have a magic box set?- boom in November I can send out an email so people can buy before xmas

Having a database is the right way to run your business- you can do so much with it- (yes have an auto 1 click unsubscribe feature and make sure you have a tick box on the enquiry for to allow you to send offers)

But not having a database and just having prices for all to see with no action from the customer - theres no exchange- there is no business.

we are creating exchanges

you give me your contact details- I give you prices- my website sells them that I am good enough for them to trust me with their contact details

you give me money- I do an amazing magic show

its about exchanges.


All automated- I can sit at home and play on my Xbox, spend more time with those I care about
Message: Posted by: ezystreamlive (May 6, 2021 12:28AM)
I have a wordpress website- I use something called Arigato pro which is essentially mailchimp on your wordpress site (its nor mailchimp its its own email newsletter plugin)

For birthdays I have an automated each year after email that gets sent out

for vacation cares a different form- that triggers email reminders when people are organising their vacation cares

christenings- a different form again but with no 1 year followup

I also have a desktop form and mobile form so right there and then I can tell what device they were on (I also use monster Insights that breaks it down from a visitor point of view

I have set up email to SMS- so now with my instant SMS quote- I isnatntly send them via sms a reminder the next year using arigato.


School database, vacation, preschool database

reminders about my easter and xmas shows - all automated and to a list of people who have the need for what I do.

a targeted database is essential for business large and small