(Close Window)
Topic: The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2020
2020 was quite the year, but through all the rough times, we did see some great magic and mentalism effects released to the community.

So let's focus on the positives from this year as its time to vote! Who will win [i][b]The Houdin[/b][/i] and [i][b]The Thurston[/b][/i] awards for 2020?

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/12247010566_5a771b849a_z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/12247010906_b8d33865ba_z.jpg[/img]

The [b]Houdin[/b] Award will be awarded to the effect is voted "Trick of The Year".

The [b]Thurston[/b] Award will be awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2020 AND who represents the true Spirit of Magic (e.g. Great customer service, kind, and a gift to the community).

[b]HOW TO VOTE:[/b]

Please submit up to [b]THREE ENTRIES FOR THE HOUDIN AWARD[/b], as follows, for your favorite effect that was released in 2020.

[b]1. [/b] [i] Effect Name by Creator Name[/i]
[b]2. [/b] [i] Effect Name by Creator Name[/i]
[b]3. [/b] [i] Effect Name by Creator Name[/i]

And please submit [b]ONE ENTRY FOR THE THURSTON AWARD[/b] as follows, for the creator who you feel embodied the true Spirit of Magic in 2020.

[b]1. [/b] [i]Creator Name[/i]

[b]RULES:[/b]
________

[b][i]Please note that we are keeping Jamie's original rules in place, in his words below...[/i][/b]

To help to try to reduce any drama, let's try and keep to the following...

[b]Vote[/b] with [b]Trick Name[/b] and the [b]Creator Name[/b] for Trick of the Year (Houdin). Please [b]submit 3 Entries[/b]. Submit [b]1 Creator Name[/b] for Customer Service/Spirit/Kindness of the Year (Thurston)

"[b]You must have 50+ posts on the Magic Cafť to vote. If you're new, that gives you over 2 months to join in the community and share in our passion (The 50 post minimum must be achieved by the close of voting on March 1st for your votes to be eligible.[/b]

If you have been nominated and want to encourage your pals to take part... it is impossible to police or enforce a "no asking your clients, friends, etc to vote" rule and, personally, I think it's silly to ask people not to share their excitement. How can you have a contest if you're not allowed to talk about it?! On that note, I ask that you please...

[b]Don't offer financial incentives.
Encourage people to vote for 3, not just one.
Limit the number of your announcements to 3 times.
Creators are allowed to vote for their own releases.[/b]

I trust people (perhaps that's a fault, lol) but I also trust the voting public to choose what they [i]truly feel is the best[/i] and not just what someone tells them to do.

Lastly, this is a thread for [b]JOY[/b]. Let me be clear- [b]HAPPINESS![/b] Any post that is not a vote or is something positive, will be deleted. There are other places on the Cafť (Right or Wrong) for political dissuasions. But they won't be here."

Let's all have some fun and make Jamie proud to be keeping his tradition alive and well!

[i]Note: Since I did the official tally of the results last year, I'm fine continuing with that tradition for 2020. If anyone has been in contact with Jamie, who originated these awards, he can certainly take the reins back, though he has been MIA in recent years on the Cafť.

[b]Prizing is TBD. If anyone would like to kindly volunteer to donate prizes to the winners, message me as it would be nice to present a gift to go along with the prestigious awards![/b][/i]
And before we kick things off, let's take a look back at the previous winners of these coveted awards!

[b]Houdin winners[/b]

2003: Passing Through by Kevin Parker
2004: [i](no voting took place)[/i]
2005: Sinful by Wayne Houchin
2006: Fraud by Daniel Garcia
2007: [i](no voting took place)[/i]
2008: Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
2009: [i](no voting took place)[/i]
2010: Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
2011: Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
2012: Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
2013: Inferno by Joshua Jay
2014: Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun (Tied)
2015: Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
2016: WikiTest by Marc Kerstein
2017: The Gift by Angelo Carbone
2018: DFB by Nick Einhorn and Craig Squires & T-Watch by Nobody Knows (Tied)
2019: Celebrity Presage by Mike Maione and Brett Barry

[b]Thurston winners[/b]

2013: Andy Nyman
2014: Craig Filicetti
2015: Craig Filicetti
2016: Craig Filicetti
2017: Michael Murray
2018: Vanishing Inc. (Team)
2019: Jonathan Levit & Benke Smith (Tied)
1. Split Focus by Gregory Wilson
2. FPS Wallet by Brent Braun
3. Matrix Art by Mickael Chatelain

1. Walter Rolfo (Masters of Magic / United Magicians for the World)
Message: Posted by: The_Mediocre_Gatsby (Dec 20, 2020 11:36AM)
1. Amalgam by Marc Kernstein
2. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan
3. Voice Testing by Jan Forster
1.) FPS Wallet by Brent Braun

2.) TimeSmith and BS Watch by Benke Smith and Andreas Berthazi

3.) Split Focus by Gregory Wilson
1. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan

1. David Jonathan
1. Virtual Triumph by Adrian Lacroix
2. Position Impossible by Brent Braun
3. The Intuition Test by Larry Hass

Thurston Award: Adrian Lacroix, feel like this was his year. Went from relative unknown to magician household name. The magic he had perfectly encapsulated Zoom magic, and was being performed by literally everyone! Good teaching, reasonable price, lots of virtual lectures throughout the year.

Also, I know I'm under 50 posts atm, but I think, if I read this correctly, I have until March 1st to get up to 50. Should be fine!
My vote goes to FPS Wallet by Brent Braun
Have to think about the trick of the year but the Thurston is a no brainer, Ian Pidgeon. Ian just doesnít go the extra mile he goes the extra continent.

Mark
1- Desire by Bobby Hasbun
2- The Underneath by Steve Peebles
3- Snaps by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan

1- Bobby Hasbun

I didn't buy much this year, but I only vote for what I own.
1. Timesmith by Benke Smith and Andras
2. Amalgam Season 2
3. UPS by Joshua Riley

Thurston Award: Ian Pidgeon. He is the developer of Ithump and he has the best service ever. One time I had a question and he called me to answer it even though it was midnight his time. There are some other good developers but he is the best.
IThump by Ian Pidgeon
UPS by Joshua Riley
FPS wallet by brent braun

MONKey by Jeff Prace

Impossible by Himitsu Magic
[quote]On Dec 22, 2020, DynaMix wrote:
IThump by Ian Pidgeon
UPS by Joshua Riley [/quote]

iThump is fantastic but it was released in 2017!
ACAAT By Sťbastien Splitter Macak.
1) TimeSmith and BS Watch by Benke Smith and Andreas Berthazi
2) Vision Box 2.0
3) Spark - self-lighting Candle for CLOSE UP!

1) Benke Smith
Houdin:
1) TimeSmith by Benke Smith and SB Watch by Andras Barthazi
2) Locked & Loaded by Ryan Schultz
3) Wilson Magic Remote v2 by Matthew Wilson

Thurston: David Sandy & Lance Rich

I enthusiastically nominate David Sandy & Lance Rich for the Thurston Award! David & Lance created a wonderful Facebook Group called Magic Collector's Corner, a place where magicians, magic collectors and magic history buffs could meet weekly during the pandemic. Each Sunday night from April through November, David & Lance treated hundreds of magicians via virtual visits (Zoom and Facebook Live) to large doses of magic history, amazing magic collections, museums, and well-known magic manufacturers. There were segments on many of the great magicians during the Golden Age of Magic and we got to see the actual props that some of those magicians used. Guest presenters included many modern-day world-renown performers and magic collectors/historians.

What David Sandy & Lance Rich did for the magic community is GREATLY appreciated! Their weekly Magic Collector's Corner Live segment was a VERY welcome mental break from the pandemic, giving hundreds of magicians an opportunity to escape for a few hours.

Thank you, David & Lance!

Mark Booth
How on Earth can ANY kind of 'remote' be thought of as being a 'Trick'?
[quote]On Dec 22, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Houdin:
1) TimeSmith by Benke Smith and SB Watch by Andras Barthazi
2) Locked & Loaded by Ryan Schultz
3) Wilson Magic Remote v2 by Matthew Wilson

Thurston: David Sandy & Lance Rich

I enthusiastically nominate David Sandy & Lance Rich for the Thurston Award! David & Lance created a wonderful Facebook Group called Magic Collector's Corner, a place where magicians, magic collectors and magic history buffs could meet weekly during the pandemic. Each Sunday night from April through November, David & Lance treated hundreds of magicians via virtual visits (Zoom and Facebook Live) to large doses of magic history, amazing magic collections, museums, and well-known magic manufacturers. There were segments on many of the great magicians during the Golden Age of Magic and we got to see the actual props that some of those magicians used. Guest presenters included many modern-day world-renown performers and magic collectors/historians.

What David Sandy & Lance Rich did for the magic community is GREATLY appreciated! Their weekly Magic Collector's Corner Live segment was a VERY welcome mental break from the pandemic, giving hundreds of magicians an opportunity to escape for a few hours.

Thank you, David & Lance!

Mark Booth [/quote]

V2 isn't out yet. It will be next year. I also don't think that would be considered a trick.
My vote
1) FPS Wallet
2) Snaps

Thurston - Vanishing inc
Cheers
Andy
1. Desire by Bobby Hasbun
2. Ritual by Bobby Hasbun
3. The Underneath by Steve Perbled

Thirston: Bobby Hasbun
SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan

Thurston: David Jonathan for his creativity
1. Omamori by Hanson Chien
2. Switch Cup by JerŰme Sauloup
3. Mental Die by Tony Anverdi (and Murphy's Magic)

Thurston: Penguin Magic for the amazing customer support.
1. Split Focus
2. SNAPS
3. FPS Wallet

Thurston: Adrian Lacroix for his Virtual Triumph
Steve Peebles the Underneath is the best strange object ever. Not sure it's an effect but I vote for it being the best "trick" #2 is Desire by Bobby Hasbun. And #3 is Ritual by Bobby Hasbun. There are several close up effects I would include... perhaps even vote them the best. One especially juicy. But my mind is in a dark frame of mind & so.... these are the righteous choices.
I could be wrong but wasnt split focus a 2018 release ( maybe even earlier )?
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, dman11 wrote:
I could be wrong but wasnt split focus a 2018 release ( maybe even earlier )? [/quote]

I believe he started selling it on his website around 2018, but it was recently released through Murphy's in 2020.
My vote for the Thurston award goes to:

Ian Pidgeon - iThump
His support seems unbeatable for years, besides that a great guy!
iThump seems to be reinvented by the month and has become a beast.
1 Places by Looch
2 The Collector by Nikolas Mavresis

Thurston Award: Paul Carnazzo (Mental Voyage)
[quote]On Dec 24, 2020, NeilS wrote:
1 Places by Looch
2 The Collector by Nikolas Mavresis

Thurston Award: Paul Carnazzo (Mental Voyage) [/quote]

Hey Neil, thanks so much, really appreciate it!
1- Desire by Bobby Hasbun
2- The Underneath by Steve Peebles
For me, it has to be the "Coin Casket" by Airship Magic (USA).
An American half dollar is placed face-up or face-down into a brass coin case.

Hand it to the performer, and they instantly know if it is heads-up or tails-up.

If you already possess "Mental Die" effects and think you know what's going on.
Then you are completely wrong.

The performer can be outside the room when the coin is placed into the casket.
And the performer can be blindfolded when he enters into the room to receive the coin casket.

There is nothing to hide, or required at all.
No confederates, nothing spoken. No clues at all.
Can be repeated as many times as you wish. Making it even more magical.

Immediately, the performer knows if the coin is heads-up or tails-up.
Absolutely incredible.

It is just not possible ... but that is exactly what has happened.
The secret is so secret, that no-one will EVER discover how it is possible.
Brass Coin Casket Prediction is very good and I do own it myself - but it came out in November 2018.

[quote]On Dec 26, 2020, wulfiesmith wrote:
For me, it has to be the "Coin Casket" by Airship Magic (USA).
An American half dollar is placed face-up or face-down into a brass coin case.

Hand it to the performer, and they instantly know if it is heads-up or tails-up.

If you already possess "Mental Die" effects and think you know what's going on.
Then you are completely wrong.

The performer can be outside the room when the coin is placed into the casket.
And the performer can be blindfolded when he enters into the room to receive the coin casket.

There is nothing to hide, or required at all.
No confederates, nothing spoken. No clues at all.
Can be repeated as many times as you wish. Making it even more magical.

Immediately, the performer knows if the coin is heads-up or tails-up.
Absolutely incredible.

It is just not possible ... but that is exactly what has happened.
The secret is so secret, that no-one will EVER discover how it is possible. [/quote]
1. Manifest by Danny Weiser
2. Real Change by Juan Pablo
3. Locked and Loaded by Ryan Schlutz
1.0 Locked and Loaded - Ryan Schlutz

2.0 Xeno upgraded - Marc Kerstein and Felipe Nardi

3.0 Streamlined - Michael Penn

Thurson Award - Benke Smith. Unbelievably proactive support for his Timesmith app. Fantastic
Sorry for the typo.... David Penn not Michael! Too many drinks LOL
1. BM Project (Haim Goldenberg, Amir Lustig, Guy Bavli)
1) FPS wallet Brent Braun
2) ReVolve Nicholas Lawrence
[quote]On Dec 29, 2020, magicmind wrote:
1) FPS wallet Brent Braun
2) ReVolve Nicholas Lawrence [/quote]

Revolve came out in September of 2019!
2020 will likely be remembered as one of the worst years for new magic releases from memory. Most were updates/improvements of existing products and themes. Nevertheless, there were several solid products worthy of your consideration. So, below are my three choices for "Trick of the Year" and a list of honorable mentions.

The Houdin Award (aka 'Best trick')
1. Flash Force by Cody Fisher (This is the utility switch bag that I've been waiting for my entire life...It's really THAT outstanding!)
2. Flite by Steve Thompson (For a no-frills everyday carry ring flight, I honestly don't think you can do much better than this)
3. IMDb Add-On by Felipe Nardi for Xeno 2.0 by Marc Kerstein (this update catapults an already incredible app into the stratosphere!)

The Thurston Award: It's time to give Marc Kerstein his due for developing so many incredible apps that simply amaze!

Honorable Mentions:

FPS Wallet by Brent Braun (FINALLY my search for an everyday 'magic' wallet is is over with. This is a great hip/back pocket wallet that loads smoothly/deceptively and looks like a real wallet that you'd be proud to carry your personal belongings in).

Mental Die by Tony Anverdi and Murphy's Magic (From a purely mechanical standpoint this is perhaps the finest electronic device that I've ever owned. It's super-reliable, easy-to-charge, inexpensive, and compact. The only reason that I didn't nominate it for 'Trick of the Year' is in fairness to Craig at Pro-Mystic because he's had his excellent (reliable) version in the market for many years...It just doesn't feel right. Still, this is an incredible bargain at the asking price.

Omega Deck by Max Major (This is an excellent (no touch) forcing deck with numerous applications especially for mentalism routines)

UNOrthodox by Antonio Martinez (UNOrthodox is a novel invisible deck themed effect that's different. While nothing here is ground-breaking, if you inject a little creativity into your presentation it can be a memorable routine.

Ten Grand Prix by Diamond Jim Tyler (this is the 'next giant step' in bill changes. It works well, but my only critism is that he should have furnished us with an inexpensive carrying pouch to remove the stack from your pocket. Something that looks 'normal' like a soft plain black pouch that locks with a snap. I'm still searching for a workable solution because I anticipate that this will get worn-out quickly after only a few strolling gigs.

My Friend George by Kevin Bethea (His empty hand 'display' gestures are worthy of the download cost. This is my new go-to (no tip) bill switch).

Ring in the Bell by Reynold Alexander (Unfortunately, I have not been able to road-test this yet due to the pandemic. But this is a really well-designed prop that you'll surely enjoy working with)

Unbelievalope 2.0 by Jeff Kaylor (If you read my thoughts on this on Latest and Greatest you'll understand why I didn't grade it higher. However, this basic idea deserves one more opportunity to improve (Can we say, version 3.0 in 2021?). The idea of incorporating a hidden built-in index into an envelope makes this an excellent prop with unlimited uses).

What Happens in Vegas by Liam Montier and Alakazam (Firstly, a big shout out to John Bannon for his previous work on this theme...But Liam and the Alakazam crew turned this into an absolute GEM that has numerous applications. The deck is beautifully produced and they were smart enough to realize that people would request additional reveals. This was a first-rate release.

Definately Not Marked by Brent Braun (This is one of the most interesting packet tricks that I've seen in years. Brent hit it out of the park with this one! My only critism is the tutorial (it was awful). But once you get past the learning curve, which BTW is actually easy you'll have a great effect to perform for strolling and parlor gigs.
Spent the year getting backups of several things that I use a lot. Not much in terms of new magic.

But one item which I really like is the ďcoin ringĒ (Alchemy Ring) that was made by RE Handcrafted. I open my set with a one coin routine and transition into Ring & String. So now I finally have the perfect silver ring made from a real coin to use. So this year Iím only listing one item:

Alchemy Coin Ring (RE Handcrafted)
Hi I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there a book of the year thread. I can't find one anywhere.
Thanks
[quote]On Jan 4, 2021, pancho247 wrote:
Hi I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there a book of the year thread. I can't find one anywhere.
Thanks [/quote]
It's up now!

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=724776&forum=110
1) No Choice Wallet by Mark Mason
2) Killer in Manilla by Mark Mason
3) Deal not Deal by Mickael Chatelain
1. Omega by Max Major
2. No choice wallet by Mark Mason
3. Flite by Steve Thompson
I do not buy a lot anymore, but for me it was Jan Forster's "The Mascot". J
1. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan
2. Locked & Loaded - Ryan Schlutz
3. Clued Up - Jamie Dawes
The rules should change in order for this annual event to continue. I nominate Positive Scott or Steve Zuehlke
Why should the rules change?

Is this annual event in danger of being obsolete and extinct because of archaic rules?

My proposed rule change:

Anyone with more than one post can vote, along with their spouses and children (spouses votes count double), and they can vote as many times as they want, for as many tricks as they want, for tricks that are up to 25 years old.

No, make that 20 years old.

Them's the new rules, OK?
What's the deadline for casting a vote? I want to make sure I have a say but want to wait until the last minute before I break my silence.
March 1st is the voting deadline.
Thanks Jack 👍
1. Taillight Color Changing Knives by Terry Broshears.

Blademaker Terry Broshears discovered a new style of knife which is ideal for parlor and strolling. Then he wrapped them in a new scale material which supports some great story telling. They are stunning in person.

Explains knives: [url]https://www.mymagic.com/p/walk-around-magic/taillight-color-changing-knives[/url]

2. Mon-Key by Jeff Prace.

Amazing design and craftsmanship has gone into this gimmick. When properly built up it creates a miracle moment.

[Url]https://plainsightmagic.com/products/mon-key[/url]

3. Leather Chop Cup by TCC

Great quality and best of breed features. Balls are perfectly weighted for both sleight of hand and gimmick strength. Will support some unusual manipulative routines because of how quiet they are. They are also light in pocket for strolling and table hopping.

[youtube]Ocouka-YZX4[/youtube]
For Thurston:

1. Michael O'Brien

Michael hits all the points cited for demonstrating the Spirit of Magic.

He has some really great releases. A 2020 example is "A Lesson in Misdirection" routine:

[youtube]E3ILuhwl884[/youtube]
[url]http://www.obrienmagic.com/store/p91/alessoninmisdirection.html[/url]

As a retailer he has terrific customer service. I had a problem earlier this year with a defective product (manufacturer quality issue). He did everything a retailer can be expected to do to resolve the issue. And he had great communication to ensure I was 100% satisfied.

He is very kind with his time. He spends a lot of effort providing magicians with resources to improve their act. Here is an example of one of his helpful videos:

[youtube]BpQaqKHrZBg[/youtube]

He has been a very positive force on The Magic Cafť, participating in helpful discussions. And he also has been providing other magic creators another affordable way to distribute their custom products; the Community Marketplace. [url]http://www.obrienmagic.com/communitymarketplace.html[/url]

Finally, he has great taste in hats. And what can be more Thurston-y than that? ;)

[img]http://rlv.zcache.com/thurston_master_magician_out_of_a_hat_magic_poster-r663ddf20d3a84707a1913e1636280330_w2u_8byvr_512.jpg[/img]
I agree...Michael O'Brien for the Thurston. Creative, informed and kind.
Another vote for Michael O'Brien for the Thurston, for these times that we live in, somebody that is knowledgeable, giving away his experience and know how for free,respectful and good person the award is more than deserved
1. Locked and Loaded - Ryan Schultz
2. Flite - Steve Thompson
3. Desire - Bobby Hasbun
As the prior winner with Mike Maione from last year, for this crazy year I have only 2 votes:

1. Xeno - Marc Kerstein
2. BM Project - Haim Goldenberg, Guy Bavli, Amir Lustig

THURSTON AWARD:
Lior Manor (easily the most generous and #1 corporate creative mentalist on the planet)
Message: Posted by: Open up your mind (Jan 17, 2021 07:02AM)
Thurston - Michael Murray
Thurston Award - Josh Jay and Andi Gladwin and the crew at Vanishing Inc. for putting on a free weekend lecture series during Covid-19., plus all else they do throughout the year for kids learning magic and more.
1. TimeSmith - Benke Smith
2. Flite - Steve Thompson
3. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan
Flite by Steve Thompson, for me!
Another vote for Michael O'Brien for the Thurston. I reached out to him for some feedback on a product that he is involved with, but isn't his and he wrote back a lengthy personal reply with no shortage of information and recommendations.
Can I just say the fact that my name is even on this list makes my heart so happy! Thank you!!!

For Trick of the year I nominate:
-Color Stix - Eric Stevens
-Flite - Steve Thompson
-GiR - Matthew Garrett

Thurston I nominate Tom Ladshaw. Amazing Customer Service and great replica coins!
1. Flite by Steve Thompson
2. SNAPS by Jonathan and Harlan
3. Xeno - Marc Kerstein
Hands down another vote for

A certain product is sold out at many stores because of this
Here's my vote:
1. BM Project - Haim Goldenberg, Guy Bavli, Amir Lustig

THURSTON AWARD: Lior Manor (same reason as Brett Barry above)
I didn't buy a lot of new material in 2020, so I only have one vote for each category but:

1. Cyber Secrets by Colin Mcleod. Forget doing the same i.D and star sign effect that everyone else is doing, this teaches some great principles to create miracles in your virtual show.

Thurston: Simple Draws creator Andre. Excellent app, extremely nice guy and customer service can't be beat.
1. Omni Wallet by Promystic
2. BM Project

Thurston: Benke Smith
Thurston Award: Lior Manor!
Thurston Award: Lior Manor!

Product - BM project
Hi,
Here's my vote:

1. BM Project - Haim Goldenberg, Guy Bavli, Amir Lustig

THURSTON AWARD: Lior Manor for his great contribution to our community.
1. BM project by BakoreMagic
2. Total by BakoreMagic
3. Mental die by averdini

THURSTON AWARD
1. Lior manor - do I really need to explain why? a pioneer in mentalism and a brilliant mind,
My vote:
1. BM project by BakoreMagic
2.snaps

thurston award: lior manor
BM Project
Snaps

Thurston Awaward: Lior Manor
I personally donít think creators should be asking their friends to vote but at the end of the day it is an award to show that the community appreciates you. For me, knowing that people voted without me telling them to means more than winning any award. I honestly didnít even know this was a thing till someone tagged me lol. Again, itís all bout knowing that your work is appreciated. So thank you friends! Donít fret too much. It could be a coincidence.
As a reminder, we did keep Jamie's original rules in tact, and it does state the following:

[quote]
If you have been nominated and want to encourage your pals to take part... it is impossible to police or enforce a "no asking your clients, friends, etc to vote" rule and, personally, I think it's silly to ask people not to share their excitement. How can you have a contest if you're not allowed to talk about it?! On that note, I ask that you please...

[b]Don't offer financial incentives.
Encourage people to vote for 3, not just one.
Limit the number of your announcements to 3 times.
Creators are allowed to vote for their own releases.[/b]

I trust people (perhaps that's a fault, lol) but I also trust the voting public to choose what they [i]truly feel is the best[/i] and not just what someone tells them to do.

[/quote]

I can certainly see how this can be a point of controversy, but it is technically within the rules and is consistent with the rules in years past. I will kindly point out that it does say to encourage people to vote for 3 effects, not just one. With that said, we can openly discuss any proposed changes to the rules for next year's voting, but it is unfair to do so in the middle of the current vote.
We are in the digital ages and itís ok to promote yourself and your products
and let people know about some competition or some things that are happening on the internet.
I got and get many messages from many dealers that try
to promote themselves and many messages from friends that I know.

I se the Bakore BM project in every show and its one
of the best effects for Zoom.
I also use Snaps which is very good.
I know all the names that voted for Bakore and none
of them has any business connections with Bakore.
On the other hand, I donít know who are the people that complained
because most of them has no real nAme...

Lior
My vote is for the BM Project - Haim Goldenberg, Guy Bavli, Amir Lustig
Ok sounds good! Iíll very gently encourage my followers to participate and if they feel I deserve such an award maybe they will vote for me. Haha Iíll also encourage that they vote for 3 of TOTY too.
Don't have enough posts to actually vote. Which sorta feels like being an underage teenager unable to participate in democracy as you watch the grown ups who are burn it to the ground.

For what it's worth I would have gone:
1) Snaps
2) Flite
3) Accomplice by Danny Weiser and Regal

Thurston: Michael O'Brien
I would definitely consider THURSTON AWARD to Lior Manor... (yes he is a friend but also many others are my good friends as well) He has influenced many many in our business in the corporate field and especially since the zoom started he took it far - very far. In our business the working pros and creators are friends with each other... so voting for an effect or award does not mean they are friends or they asked...it means that from a personal view they deserve.
The award for the magician with the biggest and most effectively mobilized friendship base goes to...
Is it me or were some posts deleted?
[quote]On Feb 5, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Is it me or were some posts deleted? [/quote]

I don't believe any votes were deleted, just some comments were.

As for the issue raised, any award with public voting is bound to have some elements of a popularity contest / friends casting votes for each other - I think that's part of human nature. Some of my good friends are fantastic creators in their own right, and our friendships often come to be because we are fans of each others work - so it is natural to vote for friends in certain cases. With that said, we should address it moving forward and there is a fair solution that we will implement NEXT year (as its not fair to make any changes to the existing rules mid-voting). So next year, I propose that each person will be required to cast votes for THREE effects for their votes to be eligible (as it was always intended in these awards). I believe that's a very fair way to balance out the voting issues some have complained about, while still maintaining the spirit of the rules. We can discuss that at a later time though as I'd rather not derail this thread as we should keep the focus on the voting.
1.Alias Wallet by Colin Cloud
2.Frozen in Time 2.0 the swedish touch by Masuda and Lars-Peter Loeld
3. TimeSmith by Benke Smith + SB Watch
1. BM project
2. FPS wallet
3. Flite
FPS Wallet
[quote]On Dec 22, 2020, mpilkey wrote:
FPS wallet by brent braun

MONKey by Jeff Prace

Impossible by Himitsu Magic [/quote]

Hi, do you know any direct contact email of the himitsu magic? I saw their website but itís in their language. Could you please let me know. Thanks.
1. BM Project
2. Frozen in time 2.0
If you were to eliminate those items that were released either prior to 2020, or released after 2020, that would eliminate several items currently receiving votes.

Hadnít heard of the BM Project before reading this thread. Wow, really surprised that a utility item such as this would receive so many votes. Nothing against it and Iím sure itís a great item but are that many people doing these very set up Zoom performances?

Not disputing it at all, just very surprised since most people on the Cafť are hobbyists. I must be missing something with this product. Can someone explain to me why it is garnering so many #1 votes?
Because those involved in the project are stacking the vote which by the rules is allowed just not in the spirit of the original intent when this started. It has now become an advertizing exercise so they can put on the site "won trick of the year" rather than a true account. Many aren't bothering to vote these days because of that. It would be nice if this company took out a banner instead of using the Cafť for free advertizment. Many posts calling this practice out were deleted when it became heated.
1.Snaps
2.Alias Wallet by Colin McLeod
3. Mental die by averdini
1. TimeSmith by Benke Smith + SB Watch
2. Mental die by Averdini
3. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan
Averdini?? :rotf:

Mark
1. Snaps.
2. The Collector.
3. Anverdi Mental Die.
[quote]On Feb 19, 2021, videoman wrote:
If you were to eliminate those items that were released either prior to 2020, or released after 2020, that would eliminate several items currently receiving votes.

Hadnít heard of the BM Project before reading this thread. Wow, really surprised that a utility item such as this would receive so many votes. Nothing against it and Iím sure itís a great item but are that many people doing these very set up Zoom performances?

Not disputing it at all, just very surprised since most people on the Cafť are hobbyists. I must be missing something with this product. Can someone explain to me why it is garnering so many #1 votes? [/quote]

Right! I hear what you are saying Videoman and I always pay attention to your wisdom.

For me, I have done one single live show here in Phoenix AZ in the past year - BUT I have done many corporate Zoom shows by sheer necessity and safety (one with almost 900 watching for a company re-naming).

I was initially not a fan of the Zoom shows back last April when I started pondering the COVID future (which may last another year, although improving). They are generally nowhere near as good as LIVE, but it is what we are still stuck with and many like Justin Willman, Paul Draper, Shawn Farquhar or Lior Suchard/Lior Manor and Guy Bavli and Haim are pushing the envelope to create some fun shows :-)

What I am noticing is the Zoom and virtual shows have forced many creators into thinking about what works for this medium - thinking outside the box, and pivoting (which is a positive thing). The necessity of pivoting is forcing creative guys like Haim and his partners for BM project to innovate some new things, or rethinking old and making them new. Jon Allen recently released his "All of Nothing" ideas(AoN)last month which is truly innovative for Zoom, and could be used live. Perfect as an opener. I applaud those who are innovating so that performers who have lost over 75% or more of their LIVE income can survive to a brighter future - when this awful pandemic and economic hit finally subsides.
VOTING HAS NOW CLOSED.

Results will be tallied and the winners will be announced shortly.

Stay tuned!
AND THE WINNERS ARE....

[b]Houdin Award 2020: SNAPS by DAVID JONATHAN & DAN HARLAN[/b]

[b]Thurston Award 2020: LIOR MANOR[/b]

Congratulations! Their names will now be etched in the Magic Cafť history books alongside the following previous winners:

[b]The Houdin Award[/b]

[b]2003:[/b] Passing Through by Kevin Parker
[b]2004:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2005:[/b] Sinful by Wayne Houchin
[b]2006:[/b] Fraud by Daniel Garcia
[b]2007:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2008:[/b] Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
[b]2009:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2010:[/b] Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
[b]2011:[/b] Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
[b]2012:[/b] Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
[b]2013:[/b] Inferno by Joshua Jay
[b]2014:[/b] Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun
[b]2015:[/b] Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
[b]2016:[/b] WikiTest by Marc Kerstein
[b]2017:[/b] The Gift by Angelo Carbone
[b]2018:[/b] DFB by Nick Einhorn and Craig Squires & The T-Watch by Nobody Knows
[b]2019:[/b] Celebrity Presage by Mike Maione and Brett Barry
[b]2020: SNAPS by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan[/b]

[b]The Thurston Award[/b]

[b]2013:[/b] Andy Nyman and The Code
[b]2014:[/b] Craig Filicetti
[b]2015:[/b] Craig Filicetti
[b]2016:[/b] Craig Filicetti
[b]2017:[/b] Michael Murray
[b]2018:[/b] Vanishing Inc. (Team)
[b]2019:[/b] Jonathan Levit & Benke Smith[/b]
[b]2020: Lior Manor[/b]

Let's also applaud the runner up for the Houdin award, BM Project by Bakore Magic and Michael O'Brien for coming in 2nd behind Lior Manor for the Thurston.

Also, HUGE THANKS to [b]Brett Barry[/b] for so generously donating a wonderful prize for the winner of the Houdin Award - a copy of last year's Houdin winner Celebrity Presage & a SvenPad KoD! Thank you so much, Brett!

Once again, CONGRATS to everyone nominated and to the winners!
Wait a minute, you mean the person in charge of overseeing the TOTY this year, ends up winning the TOTY???

I call foul play and demand a recount. I think the voting was rigged!!!

No, totally kidding, just wanted to send my congrats to David and Dan. Their release was certainly worthy of the honor.
Snaps will probably be one of those items that will remain a strong seller even years from now.
Nice job guys! 👍🏻👍🏻

Now how you gonna top yourselves in 2021? 😃
[quote]On Mar 3, 2021, videoman wrote:
Wait a minute, you mean the person in charge of overseeing the TOTY this year, ends up winning the TOTY???

I call foul play and demand a recount. I think the voting was rigged!!!

No, totally kidding, just wanted to send my congrats to David and Dan. Their release was certainly worthy of the honor.
Snaps will probably be one of those items that will remain a strong seller even years from now.
Nice job guys! 👍🏻👍🏻

Now how you gonna top yourselves in 2021? 😃 [/quote]

lol, I did double check the votes numerous times and had a few people verify them. No stop the steal, I promise!

In all seriousness though, thank you for the kind words.
Congrats to all! Some really neat effects and neat people as well!
Thanks everyone.
This looks like the one of the most busiest year
and one that generated a lot of creativity from many people.
The Virtual world opened new possibilities for many
magicians and mentalists.
I am happy to use my creations on my Zoom shows
and in every show I also use BM and Snaps.
They are perfect for Zoom.

I hope to see you soon face to face in a magic convention.
Until then, you can join the Facebook group that
has more than 3200 people: Zoom Magic and mentalism.
Lior
"The Thurston Award will be awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2020 AND who represents the true Spirit of Magic (e.g. Great customer service, kind, and a gift to the community)."

To this years winner, Lior Manor, well deserved recognition Lior, you certainly tick all the boxes,congratulations.

Also to Michael O'Brien, another person who deserves accolades.
And of coarse David Jonathan & Dan Harlan very well deserved.