(Close Window)
Topic: Magnetic Scotch and Soda: fine tuning the magnetic force
Message: Posted by: Degio (Dec 22, 2020 04:44AM)
Does anybody know how to reduce the magnetic force of a magnetic S&S (or coin unique)?
I believe heat should somehow cancel magnetism, but I am wondering if there are other methods.

Eventually, do you think the magnet can be removed from the shell? I have both shell and insert magnetic, so I thought that removing the magnet from the shell and replacing it with a shim may work. But it seems attached pretty strongly and I do not know how to remove it without damaging the shell.

Suggestions are welcomed.
Message: Posted by: tbaer (Dec 22, 2020 06:03PM)
I wish my one set of coin unique was like yours. Mine's just the opposite. It lost magnetic strength and the insert falls out very easily. But I do have a second set of coin unique that has good strength and I remove the insert with another magnet. But the other magnet has to be strong enough for it to work. A typical magnet you have on the refrigerator will probably not work.
Message: Posted by: Dan Ford (Dec 22, 2020 08:15PM)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2020, tbaer wrote:
I wish my one set of coin unique was like yours. Mine's just the opposite. It lost magnetic strength and the insert falls out very easily. But I do have a second set of coin unique that has good strength and I remove the insert with another magnet. But the other magnet has to be strong enough for it to work. A typical magnet you have on the refrigerator will probably not work. [/quote]


A way to improve a magnet that has lost its strength, is to rub it in the same direction on a strong rare earth magnet. I have done it and it works. It is just like magnetizing a needle. If you draw it over a strong magnet in the same direction several times the needle will become magnetized.
Message: Posted by: tbaer (Dec 23, 2020 01:10PM)
I tried that Dan, but it didn't make any difference.
Message: Posted by: Andy Young (Dec 23, 2020 02:26PM)
You can also just place a magnet on the insert and leave it on for a day. It will gain some magnetism. Otherwise you could use a magnetizer.
Message: Posted by: Dan Ford (Dec 23, 2020 02:50PM)
Correct Andy!! Thanks for the extra advice for tbaer
Message: Posted by: tbaer (Dec 23, 2020 06:54PM)
I always thought the shell had the magnet in Coin Unique and the insert had the shim. Is it the other way around? Am I magnetizing the shell or the shim? When I rubbed it the same direction, I was using the shell which I thought had the magnet. Is this not correct?

What is a magnetizer?
Message: Posted by: Andy Young (Dec 23, 2020 07:17PM)
A magnetizer is tool that uses a powerful magnet to help rearrange the poles in the material. It is similar to what you were doing with the magnet.

There are industrial magnetizers, but they use different machines to run a magnetic field through a material to arrange the poles.
Message: Posted by: Dan Ford (Dec 23, 2020 09:08PM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, tbaer wrote:
I always thought the shell had the magnet in Coin Unique and the insert had the shim. Is it the other way around? Am I magnetizing the shell or the shim? When I rubbed it the same direction, I was using the shell which I thought had the magnet. Is this not correct?

What is a magnetizer? [/quote]

If you are not sure which one has the magnet, take a needle or pin and see which on it is attracted to.
Message: Posted by: TWOCAN (Dec 23, 2020 09:10PM)
I am in the process of making some magnetic quarter /ten yen scotch and soda sets . I will post when finished .
I located some real fine magnets that work great with smaller size coin .
Message: Posted by: Degio (Dec 24, 2020 02:01AM)
Thanks all for posting suggestions on how to increase magnetism.
I actually asked how to reduce the magnetic force: any idea there?
Message: Posted by: Andy Young (Dec 24, 2020 06:19AM)
[quote]On Dec 24, 2020, Degio wrote:
Thanks all for posting suggestions on how to increase magnetism.
I actually asked how to reduce the magnetic force: any idea there? [/quote]
Use a demagnetizer. Homedepot and Lowes have them. Usually it's for use with tools. They normally come in a magnetizer/demagnetizer in the same piece.
Message: Posted by: tbaer (Dec 24, 2020 08:49AM)
It is the insert that has the magnet.
Message: Posted by: Degio (Dec 24, 2020 10:34AM)
My miracle coin unique (by Mark Mason) has a magnet in both insert and shell.
Never heard of a demagnetizer! I will look into it. Thanks!
Message: Posted by: Wravyn (Dec 24, 2020 03:19PM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, TWOCAN wrote:
I am in the process of making some magnetic quarter /ten yen scotch and soda sets . I will post when finished .
I located some real fine magnets that work great with smaller size coin . [/quote]
Looking forward to these.
Message: Posted by: Degio (Jan 1, 2021 02:48AM)
Just to help others... I gave it a try, and reducing the magnetic field is super easy.
Put shell and insert (separated) in the oven for 60sec, take them out and let them cool, test and if not sufficient repeat.
That way I managed to fine tune (reduce) the locking force very precisely.
Increasing the magnetic field is probably much harder...
Message: Posted by: videoman (Jan 22, 2021 07:06PM)
[quote]On Jan 1, 2021, Degio wrote:
Just to help others... I gave it a try, and reducing the magnetic field is super easy.
Put shell and insert (separated) in the oven for 60sec, take them out and let them cool, test and if not sufficient repeat.
That way I managed to fine tune (reduce) the locking force very precisely.
Increasing the magnetic field is probably much harder... [/quote]

Thatís interesting to know Degio. Thanks for sharing your findings.
Was this just a standard kitchen oven, and what temp did you use?
Message: Posted by: Degio (Jan 23, 2021 01:10AM)
[quote]On Jan 23, 2021, videoman wrote:
Was this just a standard kitchen oven, and what temp did you use? [/quote]
I used my standard kitchen oven, at 100 degrees celsius (so pretty low temperature) because I was concerned of damaging the gaff and I needed to fine tune the magnetic force