(Close Window)
Topic: Stage Mentalism and Comedy
I'm looking for a closer for my mentalism segment of my show in 2021. Every year, my producer wants me to have an entirely new show, and after 17 years, I'm having a hard time putting together my finally. I usually lean more towards comedy than really hard hitting and baffling finales. Right now, I'm planning to do my version of Sheer Luck, followed my an invisible book test. I just need something as the finale for this segment. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Any budget in mind?
I really don't have any budget restrictions.
Are you doing mentalism or mental magic? I believe your in Branson so I would pursue mental magic.
A great finale is a complex beast. For me, there are 3 elements that have worked in my past. You first need to have a very strong basic effect you pay off that meets the expectations of the audience. Then you need to have a secondary climax that was another through line proceeding along a parallel path the audience wan’t aware of until you revealed it as the real goal... then you need a surprise kicker that comes completely from left field. These three elements, if done correctly, will short circuit the senses to create the finale you need. It might be a callback to a previous effect, or something else but the structure works. The climaxes must occur in an increasing pace to work correctly. 1... 2, 3! It is the 3rd climax when they are just starting to comprehend the 2nd one that does the trick and makes them give up all reason. Now fill in the blanks. Good luck!
[quote]On Dec 22, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
A great finale is a complex beast. For me, there are 3 elements that have worked in my past. You first need to have a very strong basic effect you pay off that meets the expectations of the audience. Then you need to have a secondary climax that was another through line proceeding along a parallel path the audience wan’t aware of until you revealed it as the real goal... then you need a surprise kicker that comes completely from left field. These three elements, if done correctly, will short circuit the senses to create the finale you need. It might be a callback to a previous effect, or something else but the structure works. The climaxes must occur in an increasing pace to work correctly. 1... 2, 3! It is the 3rd climax when they are just starting to comprehend the 2nd one that does the trick and makes them give up all reason. Now fill in the blanks. Good luck! [/quote]

Thank you very much for excellent advice!!!
If you are looking for something related to comedy then you should get blindfold tips by John Archer , the way he presents it , it's just totally amazing . I am always floored whenever I see him perform he is naturally witty I guess .
I disagree, not for a closer. Not even John uses it as a closer. Also, I wouldn't consider Sheer Luck or a booktest to be a closer either, especially in a comedy show. Nice effect, but nothing your build-up would lead to with the needed payoff to the audience.

The easy answer would be a multi-phase (probably 3 using the comedy rule of 3s) prediction. I know it's the easy out, but it could be effective as, if done properly, could have the build-up, climax, and unexpected comedic payoff that you are likely seeking and would be what plays to the worthy finale to the audience. Perhaps Abbott? Or something of your own including callbacks from earlier in the show. But craft it as mentalism, not hokey Branson magic for better believability, punch, and payoff.
He Could use a blindfold act as a closer but not necessary to do the same as what John do but try something else . But from that dvd he could pick up some jokes and then add his own style and creativity to it for creating a full routine.