(Close Window)
Topic: RIP David Roth
David Roth has passed away. Gunna muss him. I'm eternally grateful for the wonderful magic and history that he shared. He had a marvellous ROV vanish and fabulous technique. I'm happy to have attended one of his lecture years ago.
R.I.P. David. I also got to meet him at a lecture many, many years ago. He was delightful. He took time to literally show anyone present, one-on-one, the basics of the ROV Vanish. I was lucky to have a front-row seat and let me tell you, his stuff was incredible. He will be missed!
May his memories be of a blessing to all who knew and loved him .. Will take some time this weekend to watch some of my favorite routines of his ..

mG
Not only one of the best coin workers par none, but also in my opinion the best coin teacher! Never heard anything but praise for him as a person either. RIP, a sore loss!
David Roth was everything to me as a fledgling coin magician wanna be. He was so instrumental to me in that aspect of my life.

RIP David Roth...you were a pioneer in a wonderful aspect of closeup magic.
I was stunned to hear of David Roth's passing this morning.
A sad day in Magic indeed. I echo the sentiments of others here. David Roth was an incredible talent, and I do not for a moment, feel the word Legend, is an understatement, as his skill and innovation was incredible, as was his talent as a teacher.
I was fortunate enough to know him, and on many occasions, he was gracious enough with his time and talent. Not to mention he was extremely keen on Magic History, and would love to talk about it. He will be sorely missed...Rest In Peace
David was my friend and a powerful influence on the way I thought about magic. I will miss him immensely.
Yeah, sad day. Does anyone know the circumstances?
His coin magic will live on forever thru all those who learned from his great book, videos and lectures. R.I.P.
David Roth was [i]the[/i] guy who re-ignited my love for magic as an adult. His routining was/is spectacular. A huge loss for the community.

RIP to the godfather of coins, and a legend of magic.
A silver coin, a half dollar, a fifty-cent piece...vanished.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2021, boydy wrote:
Yeah, sad day. Does anyone know the circumstances? [/quote]
Yes, it was very to sad to hear. R.I.P. to the master. His legacy will live on in generations to come.
So sorry to hear this...😔

I spoke to Roth for his birthday a couple/few years ago and we had a great conversation. I was humbled that he knew of some of my work. WOW!!! I have known him for many years growing up in NYC and frequenting the old Tannen's Magic Shop near Times Square. Man, Roth was Coin Magic for me. Just beautiful to watch him work, no one did it any better, and he taught most of us a thing or two as to the art. He will be sorely missed, but his work will live on in us and those of us to come, forever and then some.

Finally, to a real Master here and everywhere...R.I.P. 🙏🏽
Just found out about this. Very distraught to hear this news. David Roth had the single greatest impact on my own coin magic. His "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy "VHS tapes on coin magic are the first coin magic videos I ever purchased. His was the first magic lecture I ever attended. I traveled a couple hours and spent the night at hotel just to take part in the lecture and workshop. I spent many days with him during the New York Coin Magic Seminars. He is a quality person, and the most influential coin magician of our era. I will miss David very much.
Jeez, 2 weeks into the new year and already have lost 2 of the biggest names in the art, first Siegfried and now David Roth. Truly saddened!
Rest in Peace good sir.
Rest In Peace, David Roth. You will be missed.
Lucky to have hung out with him in New York City on occasion. Very down to earth, so sad.
Unfortunately I never got to see David Roth perform in person but I was, like so many others, befuddled and dazzled by his expert coin manipulation. His passing is a loss to all of us who love magic. My condolences to his family and friends,
Eric.
Rest In Peace, thanks for the inspiration and for making coin magic modern and accessible!
Rest In Peace, Mr. Roth. :(
I'm so sad right now. But how beautiful to think that every time someone does ROV move or teaches it a small piece of David Roth is resurrected and lives on. Rest In Peace Mr. Roth.
David Roth was very influencial for me when I first got bit by the Magic bug. I learned his Coin Flurry routine from his VHS tape which I still use. I'm privileged to be a student even if it was through his book and tape. Thank you Mr. Roth. Thank you.
I feel devastated. I attended a lecture by him at a hotel room in San Francisco. There were maybe 10 people there. I had already learned many of his effects. Seeing him perform from a few feet away is one of the highlights of my magical life. He has had such a profound influence on me. My best to his family.
In 1996 I was Jean-Pierre Vallarino's assistant in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during the great Bazaar de Magia convention.
There I met David, we talked about everything, but mainly coin magic !
He encouraged me to pursue my research on the back thumb palm, giving me several sources to study.
I'm grateful for all he brought to the magical world, and first of all for his kindness.
So long Master...
It's bitter sweet to have so much company here. I'm very saddened to hear the news. He remains the one and only Best coin guy and I will miss him and his influence.

I met David at Magic Inc. when he came to lecture long ago. He inspired me and my coin work more than I could have imagined.

The lecture itself was very packed (only Bob Read's was comparable) but there was still an empty seat kept at the front. After much introduction and Jay's dirty joke David came in and thanked everyone. He talked about what the lecture would be about but said he would need some coins. "Has anyone got some coins I could use?" Everyone went looking for their Goshman purse of course. And then from the back room came a voice "Yes, Mr. Roth! Right here, Mr. Roth! I've got some coins right here, Mr. Roth!" Holding up his coin purse in comes running Rickey Jay. He had been performing his show downtown with David Roth as his "53rd assistant". After the laugh Rickey was given the empty seat up front but insisted that Jay take it, and this went back and forth a while.

I was also lucky enough to get into the very small workshop David had in the next few days. On that day people were still calling in to the shop trying to find a way in. There he went into much of what we all know from his book and other items. He was very patient with each of us as we tore into specifics and gave us all we could absorb.

I spoke with him again at one of the coin conventions in King of Prussia PN. All the guys there were terrific about spending time with us but had to be pretty focused on getting performances for the video done. This was the show with the wooden chop cup that was so temperamental it came to be known as "Old Faithful". Even so, David was very free with his time and good advice.

I'm very sorry to think I will not be able to show him how helpful his advice has been. A great loss.
Rest in peace. He will be dearly missed but thankfully his work will live on!!
Great magician and great teacher. Plus, he fooled Penn and Teller! RIP David Roth
Great magician in many facets, not only coins. Certainly a great teacher as well, but also a great thinker of magic. Magicians tend to get caught up with the sleights and David’s technique, which is understandable because it was flawless, but his thinking behind it, the routines, the plots, and premises were monumental in turning flawless technique into classics in magic.

RIP David.
Very few leave a legacy in magic equal to yours.
Here's a great essay and tribute to David Roth :
https://jamyianswiss.com/blog/coin-magic-theory-practice-amp-repertoire-on-the-thinking-influence-and-innovations-of-david-roth?fbclid=IwAR3oikwstNJ7M2xmCe-ZmPbHBRvYsm7pVR55wVYodvDriawI0jv7ifqTxRM

His legacy will last forever.
He will be missed...
Thank you Mister Roth
I booked David Roth for the Columbus Magi-Fest (I believe is was 2012). Apparently he had never appeared there before. Great guy and was very pleasant to work with .
New to coin magic and new to magic Café. First video picked up just happens to be expert coin magic. So sad to hear of his passing.
Goodbye to the Master from all our Friends

In the picture: Geoff Latta, Mike Gallo, David Roth, Dr. Mike Rubinstein, Kainoa Harbottle, Eric Jones, Mark DeSouza, David Neighbors, others and me

Joaquin
Here is the pic
Http://www.coinvanish.com/coinvention.html
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Mar 7, 2021 01:11PM)
I just talked to David's manager Regina Monaco, who has been working with David's sister Lisa and Asi Wind to host a David Roth zoom memorial. She asked me to post this:
Regina R. Monaco and Lisa Roth would like to invite the Magic Community to attend the Memorial we are holding in Honor of David Roth's Extraordinary Life.

We are holding this Memorial as a Zoom meeting, hosted by Asi Wind.

The details for connecting to this Zoom Memorial are below. Please join us as we remember the Life and Magic of the irreplaceable David Roth. 

Topic: Remembrance of the life of David Roth
Time: Mar 13, 2021 02:30 PM EST America/Nassau

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82347433041?pwd=L3lEQlk0TWlpdXYwR3dSdmw3a1VDdz09

Meeting ID: Passcode: 830141" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="" style="">823 4743 3041
Passcode: 830141
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,82347433041#,,,,*830141# US (New York)
+13126266799,,82347433041#,,,,*830141# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: Passcode: 830141" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="" style="">823 4743 3041
Passcode: 830141
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbzzySTtOf
Thank you so much for posting this Michael.
Best,
Larry Zaslow
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Mar 13, 2021 04:18PM)
We just had the most amazing zoom tribute to David. I know it was recorded, I hope it becomes available for all to see. Here is a video tribute I made for David.

https://youtu.be/GYW5ZZNvR7c
[quote]On Mar 13, 2021, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
We just had the most amazing zoom tribute to David. I know it was recorded, I hope it becomes available for all to see. Here is a video tribute I made for David.

https://youtu.be/GYW5ZZNvR7c [/quote]

That was a brilliant and beautiful tribute you made for David. I enjoyed that very much. Thank you for sharing it.
Rest In Peace, David Roth. You will be missed.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Mar 16, 2021 04:03PM)
This just came in, so I thought you would like to see the YouTube video of the memorial (about 2.5 hrs). It is nice to hear so many stories from different parts of David's life.
https://youtu.be/oZikJxwMr2Y
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Mar 21, 2021 08:31AM)
Not many people know this, but David Roth was in the movie BIG, as an extra. Look for him as a father with his son , wearing a gray jacket, in the backround during this iconic scene at FAO Schwarz.
https://youtu.be/CF7-rz9nIn4