(Close Window)
Topic: Bobby Hasbun's STARGAZER
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 4, 2021 09:10PM)
A couple years back, at a small biennial gathering of bizarre/mystery performers, Bobby performed a handful of effects for us from a book on tarot magic he was writing. He absolutely floored us. A couple pieces were so strong they never left me, and I spent following years regularly badgering him to release these so the rest of us could benefit from his thinking.

Heís continued to evolve and refine these presentations over time and create new props to facilitate them. It become clear that they were even more powerful with the custom props, which made the idea of a book less and less likely. This worried me, as I believed my favorites of these effects would never see the light of day. So, imagine my surprise when, a few days ago, a surprise package shows up. It looks like the arm twisting was finally enough to get him to release one of the gems of his prop-based tarot effects crown

Enter: STARGAZER

The effect is led into with an old souvenir promotional postcard featuring a traveling circus fortune teller and her story. There are multiple ways to present it, but my favorite (which Iíve done a few times now, since receiving it) is to have the querent mix and randomly deal cards until they settle on two for a reading. After the reading, and some words about fate and fortune, the postcard is turned over to reveal more information. Despite having never told me their astrological sign, the querent finds their sign and sees that the two ďcards of fateĒ associated with it match the two cards theyíd chosen for their reading.

Thereís a lot more to say about the effect, but Iíll leave that to Bobby and his product page. What I can say, having one in-hand, is this: the antique souvenir postcard is very impressively done. Iím wildly fickle in general, so the first thing I do when I get a prop is to look at the printing. I could tell from the subtle impressions that this was printed on an old-school letterpress, just like it would have been were it printed in the age itís supposed to be from. The dedication to top-tier quality Iíve come to expect from the likes of Inferno and R1tual is continued here.

Anyway, check it out. As perfect as I thought it was when I first saw it presented years ago, itís surprising how far STARGAZER has come since then.

[url]https://darkartifice.com/products/stargazer[/url]
Thank you for letting us know
This one doesn't break the bank, thank the almighty Lucifer.
This is a beautiful looking prop. I'm excited to see what it can do, the write up sounds very intriguing.
I also still love the book idea!
Thank you for the heads-up Pasteboard Alchemist!

High quality, pocket-size, affordable, quarantine magic... I'm in!
Yep. Ordered. Bobby, I'm very excited to know this is the first in a series! The Seer Series!!
Wishful thinking but would love to see this series include a tarot deck with art hand picked by Bobby to match the other items. Be super cool!
Ordered! Excited to see where the series goes.
Thanks for the heads up, ordered !
& just got the email from Bobby, Looks fantastic, as always, more great ol carny magic 🙂
& the fact it can be used with any tarot cards is great! Of course most of use have these neat "special" tarot decks that will go great with this like DDT, ToT4C & of course the carry tarot !

Also really looking forward to his future seers series !!
Ordered as soon as the email arrived! Can't wait!
[quote]On Feb 5, 2021, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, ordered ! just got the email from Bobby, Looks fantastic, as always, more great ol carny magic 🙂
and the fact it can be used with any tarot cards is great! Of course most of use have these neat "special" tarot decks that will go great with this like DDT, ToT4C and of course the carry tarot !

Also really looking forward to his future seers series !! [/quote]

I'm newer to bizarre magic but have slowly been collecting items to delve into deep one day. I bought the carnie tarot awhile back and now this (big fan of Booby's effects so far). My plan is to learn both in hopes of them being my gateway. Does anyone have any good other good tarot effects for a beginner to explore?
[quote]
Does anyone have any good other good tarot effects for a beginner to explore? [/quote]

The book Tarot Magic by Matteo Filippini is worth checking out.
After my fun with R1tual the other day, this is a no-brainer. Bobby is keeping me going through this awful lockdown!
Read through the performance guide and started to play with the cards, this is a total homerun so glad it exists!
I absolutely can't wait for this to arrive!
Got my shipping notice & reading simple & clear pdf, Fantastic !
Only a couple pages & straight to the point of the workings. For the price this is a super deal, for what it is it will be a killer effect/usage !!

My curiosity is now majorly peeked as to Bobby's future seer releases planned !!
Sounds like another winner to me! Bobby does good work.
This is wonderful! Ordered.
Received mine today, as expected beautiful as all Bobby's other effects ! Just the right aging without going overboard & a completely believable item.

Love that it was in a bubble wrap mailer, between 4 pieces of cardboard & inside a nice plastic card holder sleeve.

Thank you Bobby !!
It's a small addition, but the plastic holder Bobby includes is quite nice. It's a durable, elegantly-designed, clear plastic holder that a performer can use to store the prop, or, actually use it during performance. Because it is void of ornamentation, all of the attention is on the card and the card can still be removed if need be. But otherwise, keep the card in the case where it is preserved and appears to be a precious collectible.

My point of comparison are the handful of similar cards that were released in the past, and laminated. While this never posed a problem for me, I did find it to be a bit of a distraction that something so "magical" was permanently sealed and essentially destroyed in the process.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
It's a small addition, but the plastic holder Bobby includes is quite nice. It's a durable, elegantly-designed, clear plastic holder that a performer can use to store the prop, or, actually use it during performance. Because it is void of ornamentation, all of the attention is on the card and the card can still be removed if need be. But otherwise, keep the card in the case where it is preserved and appears to be a precious collectible.

My point of comparison are the handful of similar cards that were released in the past, and laminated. While this never posed a problem for me, I did find it to be a bit of a distraction that something so "magical" was permanently sealed and essentially destroyed in the process. [/quote]

I felt the same way. Preserve it but do not destroy it.
[quote]On Feb 7, 2021, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Got my shipping notice & reading simple & clear pdf, Fantastic !
Only a couple pages & straight to the point of the workings. For the price this is a super deal, for what it is it will be a killer effect/usage !!

My curiosity is now majorly peeked as to Bobby's future seer releases planned !! [/quote]

I "jumped off the fence" this morning after a brief email chat with Bobby late last night as any concerns that Stargazer was in my "orbit" were assuaged. I mostly shared that I am not a "reader" and only do limited, certain Tarot "effects". But, now having already received and read the pdf instruction/"manual" I am very pleased and know now how I can and will use it (and digging around last night in my magic box hoard of stuff I found a great set of Tarot to use).
I know how beautifully crafted Bobby's work is, so now just waiting for the package. I will, like others here, positively look forward to further in the "Seer" series!
:genielamp: :wow:
Since you have to supply your own Tarot deck, what some of the best ones to use with it in terms of artwork and atmosphere?
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 22, 2021 10:01AM)
[quote]On Feb 22, 2021, cbusch55 wrote:
Since you have to supply your own Tarot deck, what some of the best ones to use with it in terms of artwork and atmosphere? [/quote]

I gave that a lot of thought, when I received my card. Anything too edgy, modern (even my Morgan-Greer from the late 70s fell into this category), cutesy, or fantasy-ish, while certainly possible to use, would likely pull away from the vibe one is going for. Similarly, cards with stylistic artwork that is too divorced from what the casual querent would expect to see in a card were out for me, because I didn't want the new, wildly different and unconventional styles/depictions to interrupt the flow--I sat down with the Dark Dawn and Four Corners to see if either would work, but they fell into that category for me. Carnie tarot (regular, not "cursed", as I find that one fairly silly) and Le Petite Fleur were possibilities, because I [I]really[/I] wanted to potentially use one of my aged card sets with it, but it just felt like overkill. To me, either the deck is the "eerie and old" focus, or the postcard is the focus--to have both be that felt like gilding the lily.

In the end, I figured antique decks in a traditional-imagery vein were the way to go. So, I went back to good old RWS. Everybody knows/expects the imagery, even if they're only vaguely aware of the tarot. I've been rotating through my De Laurence decks, choosing the color I think will resonate most with whoever the querent is. In the future, when performing Stargazer out of the house instead of only for folks that come to mine, I probably won't bring them out (the prices for De Laurence decks are obscene, and they're too hard to come by now to risk messing up), so will use Brother Owl RWS reproduction of the 1910 original with crackle-back, as I love the aged look (and they're marked, so that sure never hurts--htye're available here [url]https://arcanesecrets.com/products/the-voronoi-tarot[/url] )
That's really good info, Pasteboard... what an interesting post!

Thank you.

Seth
Ditto. Thank you P.A.
Mine arrived last week and it is really wonderful.

As for appropriate cards, it is helpful to look at some of the period fortune telling books, such as:

Zadkiel's Dream Book, London: Nicholson and Sons.
Agnes Miall, Complete Fortune Telling, London: C. Arthur Pearson, which comes with its own little back pocket and playing cards.

These are consistent with the look and feel of Stargazer.

In addition to RWS Tarot, the Flournoy Tarot de Marseilles are highly recommended.

Cheers

Dr Todd
Another winner from Bobby. the effect is quite startling (my Wife was impressed!!!) and the printing on the card is really believable.I like the embossed feel of it. It smells good too! The plastic holder will keep it in perfect condition and it's a lovely thing to keep beside my Oraculum.
Thanks to Dr Todd for the advice on books as well. Hope everyone is managing okay. Best Wishes.
Am I wrong to be contemplating putting a crease or two in? Donít know if I can bring myself to.....
Less is more, especially when it comes to aging and weathering.
[quote]On Mar 12, 2021, Winks wrote:
Less is more, especially when it comes to aging and weathering. [/quote]

A lesson Outlaw never learned
But perfected by Bobby, Dan Baines, Steve Peebles and Prof BC.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2021, Winks wrote:
But perfected by Bobby, Dan Baines, Steve Peebles and Prof BC. [/quote]

Must add Vic Nadata & Christopher Gould to that too !
Is there a version of this effect you can do with someone when you already know their star sign? Can they be thinking of someone else or would it not work that way?
[quote]On Mar 26, 2021, Joe Roberts wrote:
Is there a version of this effect you can do with someone when you already know their star sign? Can they be thinking of someone else or would it not work that way? [/quote]

Yes if you know the person, but not necessary. You don't have to know them, you can also have them think of anyone else they know or knew as long as they know that persons full birthday date. That's the fabulous thing with this !!
At this price point - Stargazer is a no-brainer - The built-in effect is really cool - better than most tarot based effects, although for my purposes it serves me best as a piece in my mobile exhibit - Bobby has a way of making pieces that look exactly as they should - highly believable props representing the era they are from.

If you are looking for a tarot card effect that is super engaging for the spectator - this is it! You also get a great conversation starter with the prop. It generates a ton of interest when people see it - an endless amount of stories can be tied to this magnificent little prop/effect - Highly recommended for multiple use cases