(Close Window)
Topic: Fugitive Coins
Perfect coin for Fugitive Coins? I've tried many alternatives and most of the coins that have the proper diameter are quite thick, and I sometimes get nailed for that reason. Anybody have an ideal coin for this brilliant effect?
Thanks!
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 10, 2021 12:03PM)
David used a commemorative coin of Pope John Paul that he got at the Vatican. It just needs to be the size between a half dollar and a dollar, not thick.
Thanks very much Michael!
Doesn't he recommend the correct coin in Expert Coin Magic? I don't recall the coin but I do know I bought the specific coin that he mentioned in a coin shop so I definitely saw/heard it somewhere.
I've used an older Canadian Silver Dollar, slightly on the larger side, but milled.
Philippine peso silver coin, 1907 - 1912. Perfect size.

Jim
Anyone know of an online source (other than auction sites — ones I’ve seen are bids only, no buy-it-now option) for an inexpensive circulated old silver Philippine peso of the date range Jim specified?

Or anyone have one of their own they’d be willing to part with?
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 13, 2021 06:11PM)
In his lecture notes, both a bahamian dollar and a Mexican silver 5 peso coin as being the right size.
[quote]On Feb 10, 2021, Frank Yuen wrote:
Doesn't he recommend the correct coin in Expert Coin Magic? I don't recall the coin but I do know I bought the specific coin that he mentioned in a coin shop so I definitely saw/heard it somewhere. [/quote]

Is that in his video series, or a book by Dave R?

Thanks;
John
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 14, 2021 06:25AM)
In the book the size of the coin is described, but not the type of currency. It was discussed in his lecture noted as statwd. He may have also discussed it on video or at his early lectures, but I don't have that information. I know he told me about the coin he got at the Vatican, and being that I lived in Italy I was able to pick one up for myself.
On his Stars of Magic VHS , he refers to it as a Mexican centavo.
I did a bit of “research” (i.e., Googling), and came up with this:

Half dollar = 30.6 mm
Silver dollar = 38 mm

So presumably something roughly midway in between would be around 34 mm or so.

Canadian silver dollar = 32 mm
Bahamian silver dollar (1966-70 or maybe later) = 34 mm
Mexican silver 5 peso (1955-57; dates matter!) = 35 mm
Philippine silver 1 peso (1907-12) = 35 mm

Hope this helps other seekers.
I mistyped, I was interested where the "Fugitive Coin" is taught.
Thanks;
John
It’s in the big “Expert Coin Magic” Roth book, and evidently also in some Roth lecture notes.
I took some measurements the other day and my Canadian Silver dollar is 35.9mm, width 2.7. I have a Philippine Piso with a much more current date a 33.4mm and w of 2.3. Feeling the difference between a half and a quarter, was best duplicated with the Canadian coin. Your mileage may vary.
The correct sized coin is described in Expert Coin Magic as being "larger than the half dollar in the same ratio that a half dollar is larger than a quarter"
[quote]On Feb 17, 2021, CoinBoy101 wrote:
The correct sized coin is described in Expert Coin Magic as being "larger than the half dollar in the same ratio that a half dollar is larger than a quarter" [/quote]
Correct. Any ideas?
I'm practicing right now with Canadian currency. I think I've found the correct ratios. Quarter- 2 Dollar Coin- Silver Dollar.
Magicfish, what it boils down to is that the spectator can feel the distinct difference. I found that even though some coins were bigger than the half, it wasn't enough to be able to tell the difference easily. And the difference in the half and quarter is quite obvious. Just feel the difference in your 2 regular coins, then eliminate the smaller one and ring in the bigger one and see if the difference is as obvious.
Thanks Tom. I agree 100% with your description of the principle here.
For me, I've found that the Canadian Silver Dollar is proportionately larger than the 2 Dollar coin, as the 2 Dollar Coin is to the quarter.
The thickness is very close as well.
I was curious as to which coin Coinboy101 finds appropriate.
[quote]On Feb 14, 2021, karnak wrote:
It’s in the big “Expert Coin Magic” Roth book, and evidently also in some Roth lecture notes. [/quote]

Thanks; I guess I'll have to wait for the reprinting.

John
It's also available as a Vault Video Download.
Tom:

Thanks, Can you give me the contact info for "Vault"

John
The Vault is just a general name they use for the old video series. Here's the link for Penguin, but if you have a favorite magic shop that offers downloads, they'll probably have it too.
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S27640
[quote]
Canadian silver dollar = 32 mm
Bahamian silver dollar (1966-70 or maybe later) = 34 mm
Mexican silver 5 peso (1955-57; dates matter!) = 35 mm
Philippine silver 1 peso (1907-12) = 35 mm [/quote]

Compulsive that I am, and for the record, I did a bit more math:

Quarter = 0.955 inch = 24.26 mm
Half Dollar = 1.205 inch = 30.61 mm
Same Ratio Up = 1.52 inch = 38.62 mm

A silver dollar is only 38.10 mm.

But we’re looking for a coin that is bigger than a half, yet smaller than a dollar — right? (The proverbial “75 cent piece.”)

So am I not doing something right, mathematically speaking, when the whole idea is to have a special coin that is "larger than the half dollar in the same ratio that a half dollar is larger than a quarter"?

I am confused.
[quote]On Feb 21, 2021, Tom G wrote:
The Vault is just a general name they use for the old video series. Here's the link for Penguin, but if you have a favorite magic shop that offers downloads, they'll probably have it too.
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S27640 [/quote]

Thanks Tom.
I like the structure of the routine.

John
Karnak, I think it boils down to it being easy to feel the difference between the half and the chosen coin. I got slightly different measurements, but coins and dates can put sizes all over. IE the Canadian Silver Dollar I have is 35.9mm. That's about 6mm difference between a quarter and a half and the half and my Canadian Dollar. Easy to feel the difference. The Piso I have is 33.4mm and it's tough to tell the difference between the half an Piso. I don't think math needs to be involved. Just the spec thinking he's got a half and an quarter in his hand, when he's really got a half and a (insert your favorite coin here) in his hand.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2021, John Long wrote:

Thanks Tom.
I like the structure of the routine.

John [/quote]

Yeah, it’s one of Roth’s easier tricks to do but a solid fooler. And Tom is right, nothing complicated here, just a quick fooling of the mind as to two of the five senses, sight and touch. Getting the right size coin is usually the biggest trick of it all. 😁 That has probably stopped more people to date from doing this little gem than anything else. 😊
It is the old peso.
Mexican circa 1958.