(Close Window)
Topic: Seated or standing ?
Do you stand at the table, or seat yourselves when performing at club or restaurant ?
Slydini and Bert Allerton's books and the popularity of lapping suppose sitting. Some of those are over a hundred years old. What is the current situation ?
Stand. I work out of my pockets mostly. If I plan to do chop cup I just carry that in my hand.
At Schulien's we sat. I have never changed this if it can be a choice.

Now mind you I perform by invitation, so standing seems odd.

But the idea is that once you sit you have done a couple things. First of all you become part of that group as opposed to an outsider. It changes the relationship drastically in a positive direction. Also it defines a part of that table as your stage. It makes the area in front of you "yours" and it makes them FAR less likely to grab at things in front of you. It also helps with them seeing things in a meaningful way. The table top becomes the "stage" and it draws focus. This is a good thing.

Needless to say it can be done standing, and done quite well standing. I am in no way saying one way is the right way, or for that matter even a "better" way. Just "my way".
I am almost always standing, regardless if the patrons are sitting or not. I also work from my pockets, so this makes it easier to smoothly transition between effects.
I would think that in today's (Covid) environment and the "new normal," strolling and table hopping will be a bit less "hands on spectator" (i.e. coins to spectators hands), and many audiences may not be so receptive to a "stranger" sitting down at their table.
All depends on where you live but true.
A side issue, do any of you in the standing camp use the "toppit" and/or sle#ving ? I realize this is difficult when you are up close and personal. Also do any of you work standing behind a bar ?
Just asking.
I always stand when performing.
A topit doesn't require stage or parlor level distance.

At one point, I had topits sewn into all my jackets for everyday, casual "show us some magic" usage.

It absolutely works close-up and personal. Heck if anything it works BETTER, because the vanishes and transformations occur inches from their eyes.

Personally, I always stood, because it's intrusive to sit at strangers' tables and because I needed to be able to move from table to table quickly and smoothly.

But, as I just posted in the "banquet strolling strategy" thread in this forum, I worked with Bobby Acoba, a bartender magician would would, if he wasn't working a bar, always work seated.

However, he wouldn't seat himself at guests tables. He'd set up at an unused table off to the side and just wait for people to come to him. Guests would come up, sit for a few tricks, and move on.

As I noted in the other thread, patrons often don't realize we're even supposed to be moving from table to table. If the magician presents himself as a side-attraction for guests to enjoy at their leisure, then that's what that patron accepts.

In Bobby's case, his work was praiseworthy enough to get him flown to Japan for corporate gigs on a regular basis (he worked bars in Waikiki).