(Close Window)
Topic: Convergence by Joe Rindfleisch and Dr. Cyril Thomas
Has anyone played with this yet?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15107

You need to see this, and you still won’t believe it. When Joe Rindfleisch performed this for the Penguin Magic team we assumed he and Dr. Cyril Thomas had invented the single greatest rubber band gimmick in history. Then our jaws hit the floor when we found out it was an ordinary rubber band. This is the final answer in the torn and restored rubber band. This is Joe Rindflesich & Dr. Cyril Thomas’ Convergence.

Convergence is a multiphase routine where a rubber band is actually broken in front of your audience. It is then visually restored. With a gentle tug the rubber band is torn apart, then restored and the ends taken off and clearly held apart from the restored band. The ends are once again restored and the rubber band is shown to be once again whole before being placed back around your wrist.

The description of this routine doesn’t do it justice. The visuals are mind-melting, and the band that is torn is the very same band that is restored and wrapped back around your wrist. No glue or gimmicks are involved. The displays are amazingly fair. This download is a meeting of the minds on the bleeding edge of rubber band magic. This is more than a miracle. This is Convergence.
OMG that looks good! I wonder how the get ready is?

Can anyone chime in here?
Looks very clean!!
Any thoughts on this from anyone who bought it?
Review???
I don't really do any rubber band magic normally, but I bought this. I thought it was really good. If you like the trailer you'll like the whole thing. What you see in the performance is how it looks when you do it yourself. It's very easy to do, and a lot of thought was obviously put into it.
I really think Convergence is the best rubber band trick I have ever seen. I love all of Joe's stuff, but this is on another level. No get ready at all, the whole trick is done with a single band. I'd say it is a medium skill level... and if you choose to put the work in, you'll be rewarded with a trick you'll do forever.
Here is a full performance.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157589605785966&id=700185965
This looks pretty cool, it's like Fiber Optics with a rubber band.
Does it require a wrist full of bands?
It's an amazing rubber band effect. jsut amazing, so please don't buy it I want to be the alone guy to perform it, thanks .
[quote]On Feb 19, 2021, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Does it require a wrist full of bands? [/quote]

You can do all three phases without bands on your wrist. But it looks cleaner if you have a few on your wrist.
Ingenious thinking and structuring. It looks amazing and works much differently than I would have thought. My only complaint is that you can’t cleanly hand out the band. So if you’re looking for something completely self-contained like CMH you might be disappointed. At the point where there’s the most heat on the band you’ll have to do some maneuvers to hand it out. And if wearing multiple bands on your wrist is a turn off, I’m not sure what to do. For such an incredibly thought out routine I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t a bit more thinking and options around the clean up. But a drop dead gorgeous routine none the less.
While it is true that there is a slight cleanup at the end if you want to hand the band out, one also must consider that same thought in the context of the routine. There really shouldn't be much heat on the band at that point because the magician has just stretched, pulled, plucked, and strummed the "restored" band. I would just put the band on my wrist and move on to another non-band routine. If one desires to hand the band out at that point, the cleanup can be covered easily enough with a little thought, patter, and choreography.

All in all, this is, as Joe points out, a fully fleshed out routine three-phase routine that is fan frickin-tastic! I haven't wanted to learn a rubber band routine this bad since learning crazy mans handcuffs, then CMH with a twist. A brilliant way to increase rubber band sales as well, by the way.

Now the question for me becomes, what routines can be done with the leftovers?

[quote]On Feb 19, 2021, Platt wrote:
Ingenious thinking and structuring. It looks amazing and works much differently than I would have thought. My only complaint is that you can’t cleanly hand out the band. So if you’re looking for something completely self-contained like CMH you might be disappointed. At the point where there’s the most heat on the band you’ll have to do some maneuvers to hand it out. And if wearing multiple bands on your wrist is a turn off, I’m not sure what to do. For such an incredibly thought out routine I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t a bit more thinking and options around the clean up. But a drop dead gorgeous routine none the less. [/quote]
So the cut and restored rope comes to rubber bands. I imagine the workings are similar but it looks amazing.
When you do this the misdirection is strong. Unfortunately you can't misdirection a camera or have any control of people rewinding over and over again.
Bought this effect and tried with a regular #19 rubberband which doesn't stretch as shown in the video. Are these to be used with the Joe Rindfleisch rainbow #19 rubberband pack? I purchased that also waiting for delivery.
Joe's rubber bands stretch quite a bit.
Many of “advanced” rubber band stuff only works well with Joe’s bands or latex gold bands from Alliance (can be found on Amazon)
Okay thanks! I'm waiting on his rainbow pack #19. That should last a good while. This is an excellent effect. The first 2 phases are easy. The 3rd phase is a little challenging requiring more practice. Haven't quite got it yet.
I have the trick but haven’t tried it yet. Vince Mendoza has a trick with a “similar” display (hopefully Joe won’t jump on me for this) and you need tacky rubber bands to make it work. Maybe not so with this! Haven’t really explored it yet. I find Joe’s bands work best if you rinse of the “Eleastrix” which makes them to slippery.
Been practicing the 3rd phase for a couple hours straight. I'm 50/50 getting that 3rd phase. I should have it consistently within a week. This is incredible.
[quote]On Feb 20, 2021, Magikgym wrote:
Been practicing the 3rd phase for a couple hours straight. I'm 50/50 getting that 3rd phase. I should have it consistently within a week. This is incredible. [/quote]

Ya it also took me a few days to get that phase down. I'm nailing it pretty consistently now. So good.
How is this concept different than Joe Rindfleisch's JUMPER effect, which is a torn/restored rubber band effect?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11308

Is it based on a similiar concept, but more phases?
It is a similar concept using the ends of the broken band as opposed to a knot
This is baddass, gonna take some time to get smooth but worth it,

No
[quote]On Feb 21, 2021, Salby wrote:
How is this concept different than Joe Rindfleisch's JUMPER effect, which is a torn/restored rubber band effect?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11308

Is it based on a similiar concept, but more phases?
. [/quote]

Jumper is very different. With Jumper you appear to manipulate the knot in a band. With Convergence you tear and restore the band several different ways.

The material really doesn't overlap. Even where Joe appears to throw the broken ends back into the band, it might look like the move in Jumper but it is very different when it comes to the method.
Still practicing the 3rd phase after 10 days. Still only successful about 40-50%. Any tips besides keep practicing? Am I missing something? I'm using the Joe Rindfleisch rainbow rubberbands which I had to wash due to the slippery feel.
Supposedly the video was updated to address some concerns about the third phase, but I can't verify what exactly was updated (if anything) because I downloaded it after that announcement. Long story short, Magikgym, it might be worth checking if your download is an earlier version!

One thing Joe mentioned (in the video or as a discussion post on the Penguin page, I can't recall which), that I haven't seen in this thread yet, is to chill the bands. Hot, humid, environments will inhibit the final phase. So, wash off the bands to remove the factory & Joe's proprietary oils, and also chill them. Or at the very least, be conscious of your performance environment. Hope that helps!
[quote]On Mar 4, 2021, SoloDoubleAct wrote:
Supposedly the video was updated to address some concerns about the third phase, but I can't verify what exactly was updated (if anything) because I downloaded it after that announcement. Long story short, Magikgym, it might be worth checking if your download is an earlier version!

One thing Joe mentioned (in the video or as a discussion post on the Penguin page, I can't recall which), that I haven't seen in this thread yet, is to chill the bands. Hot, humid, environments will inhibit the final phase. So, wash off the bands to remove the factory & Joe's proprietary oils, and also chill them. Or at the very least, be conscious of your performance environment. Hope that helps! [/quote]
Yes I did see the update near the end of the tutorial and tried every tip offered. I believe it does have something to do with the bands. I seem to have more success with the 3rd phase with regular #19 bands. However, the 1st two phases don't work well with regular bands due to the inferior elasticity. Thanks for your response.
I am now nailing the 3rd phase every time. Here is what I did. I soak some of Joe's bands in a cup with dawn soap and water for about 5 minutes. Then I rinsed them off and wiped dry. I let them sit for awhile. Now no slippery bands and still stretch great with no breakage.

I guess I didn't get the slippery stuff off completely before when I washed the bands.