(Close Window)
Topic: Performance notebook
About 5 years ago I started a performance log. Even if I share a brief effect such as card warp, I usually jot it down in a notebook and take a couple of minutes to acknowledge what went well and what went wrong, and suggestions for the future. Notes about equipment, gimmicks, patter, angles, or other aspects of presentation. In addition to creating a helpful reference, it makes for a nice diary. I recommend this and assume some other performers engage in a similar practice?
Great idea. I might start doing this.
Take a look at "The Magic of Michael Ammar". He's got a whole section of the book devoted to this practice!
That is a great idea.
[quote]On Feb 28, 2021, gaddy wrote:

Take a look at "The Magic of Michael Ammar". He's got a whole section of the book devoted to this practice! [/quote]

Thanks for the tip!
I do this with every gig I perform at, but on my computer/phone instead of in a notebook.
I list down my set list and the individual tricks, then do a reflection with the positives and negatives I experienced from that performance.
I work on the negatives to eliminate them and try to recreate the positives where possible for next time.

It's always good to be able to go back and see what worked, what needs to be refined etc...
Idk about you guys but I'm at the point where I'm always forgetting some older but still great tricks I used to do; I've started keeping a journal of effects I know that I can reference whenever I'm looking to jog the memory.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2021, michaelpenkul wrote:
Idk about you guys but I'm at the point where I'm always forgetting some older but still great tricks I used to do; I've started keeping a journal of effects I know that I can reference whenever I'm looking to jog the memory. [/quote]

LOL! When I hear people tell me about some of the tricks that I apparently did for them long ago I often think to myself: "Wait... I knew how to do that? Huh!"
Remember a video I watched also advised recording your shows. When listening back to the recording it can help you evaluate your patter and any downtime in your routines.