(Close Window)
Topic: Marked Tarot decks
I'm looking to get a marked deck for some tarot ideas I'm working on, looking for a reasonably priced deck with a making system that's easy to read in low light, but not too obvious.

What would you all recommend?
I would recommend doing a search as this has been mentioned a good bit recently.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2021, the Sponge wrote:
I would recommend doing a search as this has been mentioned a good bit recently. [/quote]

All these discussions must be behind a postcount wall, as when I search all I get is threads for specific decks that are sold out, no comparisons of decks that can be purchased.
True. 29 posts to go. but there are a couple threads you can view in latest and greatest. There aren't as many as you might think. Here's something for example:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=203&topic=686331#0
I got these a week ago and have already been having a blast trying them out on friends. Not a full deck, the routine uses two sets of matching 5 tarot cards with a 6th pair as an alternate. As I only like using tarot for one element, I don't need a marked full tarot deck. I use a full deck for certain routines, but this packet trick satisfies me in terms of m@rked cards for a reading.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/the-oracle-system/
Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=717373&forum=218

Another from latest & greatest
[quote]On Mar 19, 2021, the Sponge wrote:
True. 29 posts to go. but there are a couple threads you can view in latest and greatest. There aren't as many as you might think. Here's something for example:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......686331#0 [/quote]

A two year old thread without much info.

[quote]I got these a week ago and have already been having a blast trying them out on friends. Not a full deck, the routine uses two sets of matching 5 tarot cards with a 6th pair as an alternate. As I only like using tarot for one element, I don't need a marked full tarot deck. I use a full deck for certain routines, but this packet trick satisfies me in terms of m@rked cards for a reading.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-......-system/ [/quote]

Great if you want to do just that one effect that uses only a few cards.

[quote]Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218[/quote]

Sound great but as they are sold out with no ETA on restock, so not that useful.

Thanks for trying to help, but of those three links, there is a single deck mentioned that may be of use, I did hope for a discussion of what's good and available currently.
You’re very welcome
Have you considered marking a deck yourself? It's fairly easy to do, so that might be the way to go. Here is something you might like: https://taylorimagineering.com/shop1/non-electronic/

Also think about full deck vs. just the majors. I think there are few full marked decks, so first decide if you want a full deck or just the majors.
[quote]On Mar 20, 2021, greerj wrote:
Have you considered marking a deck yourself? It's fairly easy to do, so that might be the way to go. Here is something you might like: https://taylorimagineering.com/shop1/non-electronic/

Also think about full deck vs. just the majors. I think there are few full marked decks, so first decide if you want a full deck or just the majors. [/quote]

That is an option, I regularly mark normal playing cards myself, but I already have those. As I need to get a Tarot deck anyway, I thought it'd just be easier to just get one that was already done.
I've been very happy with Neil Tobin's system for marking the "Waite Rider" deck.

He's on the magic Café. Maybe give him a shout!
[quote]On Mar 20, 2021, Sanukk wrote:

Also think about full deck vs. just the majors. I think there are few full marked decks, so first decide if you want a full deck or just the majors. [/quote]

That is an option, I regularly mark normal playing cards myself, but I already have those. As I need to get a Tarot deck anyway, I thought it'd just be easier to just get one that was already done. [/quote]

It is easier to get an already marked deck,but they generally are much more expensive than the unmarked ones, of course. I have several outlaw marked decks, and all ran for over 100 dollars. Finding a less expensive, clearly marked and readable in dim light deck may be hard. Do you have a price range you are looking at?
It is easier to get an already marked deck,but they generally are much more expensive than the unmarked ones, of course. I have several outlaw marked decks, and all ran for over 100 dollars. Finding a less expensive, clearly marked and readable in dim light deck may be hard. Do you have a price range you are looking at? [/quote]

I'm a Scotsman, so obviously the lower the price the better LOL Seriously though, as long as it's something I like and can work with, I'm happy to pay a fair price. I'm semi-pro, so they will hopefully pay for themselves.
You never said if you were looking for a full deck or just the majors.
[quote]On Mar 21, 2021, greerj wrote:
You never said if you were looking for a full deck or just the majors. [/quote]
Full deck
I second Neil Tobin's system!
I only have one store-marked deck. The other decks that I bought, I marked.

Also, I think be difficult to get a very good visualization for 78 marked tarot cards. Even handling is difficult, depending on what you want.
Suggestion: Reduce the number of cards, and then make the marks.
You will spend less money and have something more personalized.
If I was going to mark them myself I'd probably use seperate systems for the major and minor arcana, for the minor I was thinking of a modified Mnemonica numbering (I use a binary system and Mnemonica for normal cards when I mark them).
If you have a standard Rider-Waite tarot deck -- the most recognized tarot pack in the world -- my Rider-Waite Readers ebook can help turn it into a more powerful divination and magical tool.

This original marking system is unnoticeable to participants, but is bold enough to be read at a glance, from a short distance, and under a variety of lighting conditions. The system is also scalable, so it works on all standard Rider-Waite cards from U.S. Games, from Miniature to Pocket and all the way up to Giant (but not on special Centennial, Golden, Original, Albano-Waite, or Radiant editions).

Best of all, no artistic skill or special materials are needed.

Reviews of the first edition are at the following link:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=634079&start=0
For information about the upcoming expanded second edition, drop an email to neil@necromancerevents.com
I'm under the postcount to open that link, but as you are linking yourself, I'll assume the reviews are good.
[quote]On Mar 20, 2021, gaddy wrote:
I've been very happy with Neil Tobin's system for marking the "Waite Rider" deck.

He's on the magic Café. Maybe give him a shout! [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 22, 2021, David Eichler wrote:
I second Neil Tobin's system![/quote]

My thanks to you both!
I've not read all the posts but...
Best 78-card marked Tarot deck I got was from https://www.card-shark.de/
That said, it's not a Waite Smith Golden Dawn derived deck.
The arkansophy or however it's spelled is horrid. They took regular US Games Systems decks, and then pasted new backs on them, and laminated them so they're really effin' thick.
Most marked Tarot 'decks' feature only the majors, which is fine until you find yourself surrounded by folks that actually know tarot and tarot history.
And with Tarot becoming more popular, if you prevaricate too much, you'll get not only caught, but possibly humiliated.
So enjoy!