(Close Window)
Topic: Presence. Being there.
[youtube]h2yTyex_slk[/youtube]
[youtube]t36AkPWlN0k[/youtube]
Riveting clips, thanks for posting. A charismatic master of total command. Any generalisable or learning points? (apart from how important other Arts and stage training are)
How about where he says copying is not learning.
[youtube]GJWB0irE8DU[/youtube]
Been there.
Well I live there +/- 15 miles (Bath UK) - unrelated observation, this is also the site of the long running "Bizarre Bath Walk" run by Noel Britton, President of the Magic Circle. Dunno why I felt compelled to say that... .
[youtube]4Nv-GnhNVRo[/youtube]
Laurie, it would be helpful if you would talk about these clips, and what they mean for you, and what your important takeaways are.
We were often off to the Bath races in the rough old days; we have not been there since they built the new stands but it looks great now. A lot of the old racecourses are branching out and offering other forms of entertainment, where a magician might find some gigs. In the old days, we would lunch in town before going to the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0toYwYsGo
"Focus... Neutral... Technique... Sculpt space...Make the invisible visible (and the visible invisible)... Five Senses...Breathing...Learn...Understand...Contemplate...Feel"

One of the first magic texts I found that I felt really dealt directly with what a magician does, was Dariel Fitzkee's Magic by Misdirection- especially, his discussion of simulation and dissimulation.
I am thinking the amazing illusionist, ventriloquist, mime Jerome Murat - Living Statue, springs to mind.

[youtube]kIDtvHVnNJo[/youtube]
Thanks for posting, tommy.
There are a few things about this that I like and a few things I don't like. :) I think the beginning is strong.

Of course, our knowledge of puppets and how they operate is problematic, so I think there may be an initial obstacle with the introduction of the second head, but I also see a recovery, and the transition at 4:03- incorporating the previously still arm and hand is very effective.

I think, though, it loses unity, focus and clarity at the 5:30 mark, and so the ending is somewhat confusing, at least for me, and credibility is lost at the headless moment for me, but the audience seems happy with the replacement. :) Which got me thinking about that Dr. who wants to try "head transplant"s. :worry: :fruity:

I feel the last two minutes are weak and perhaps wanting to add "effects" has happened quickly at the expense of the strong build in the first 5 minutes.

Whether this scene is part of a larger story arc in the show, I don't know. I haven't been able to find any more of this performer's work, either, but this was an interesting view, and I appreciate you putting it up here, tommy. I think we've seen a similar routine before with Tina Lenert, with an ending that I felt- as someone who has mopped a dirty floor or two- was entirely implausible. So the ending's still up for grabs on this routine, maybe. :shrug: I'd like to read thoughts, in text form ;) , from any who'd like to share here. :)
[youtube]8DD7Mtdy1as[/youtube]

with "pre-show":

[youtube]xv04q1OM2VE[/youtube]
“The Statue With Two Heads tells the story set in the Garden of Eden, where a mysterious wind breathes life into a two-headed stone statue. A mesmerising enactment follows as the two heads awaken and struggle to take possession of the body.“

https://www.applesandpearsentertainment.com.au/artist/jerome-murat/

No conflict no drama as they say.
[youtube]eAib1e_qWSU[/youtube]
Everybody can have an imaginary friend but not every imaginary friend can have a body it seems to me; the magician must not only spark the imagination but also conjure it up.

The magic of imaginary friends

https://abracademy.com/imaginary-friends/