(Close Window)
Topic: Pompeii archaeologists uncover 'sorcerer's treasure trove'
Here is a great historical find, lots of good images and ideas here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49325627
Wow! Fascinating!
I was wondering where I had hidden that stuff. Now I know.
That little skull is fantastic
[quote]On May 19, 2021, PhantomStranger wrote:
That little skull is fantastic [/quote]

But a bit lonely looking since he ain't got no body.
I always get a kick out of comments like "Objects were used for rituals, archaeologists think." Someday in the future they will discover a pile of cheap (or expensive) nicknacks from somebody's 21st-century house and say they were used for rituals. "The glass candle-holder must have been used in a ritual celebrating the extinct groundhog on its feast day."
[quote]On May 19, 2021, George Ledo wrote:
I always get a kick out of comments like "Objects were used for rituals, archaeologists think." Someday in the future they will discover a pile of cheap (or expensive) nicknacks from somebody's 21st-century house and say they were used for rituals. "The glass candle-holder must have been used in a ritual celebrating the extinct groundhog on its feast day." [/quote]

I get a kick on how much they speculate when they have no idea what some of the stuff is they dig up. Would love to hear what they think a manual can opener is a thousand years down the road.
[quote]On May 19, 2021, weepinwil wrote:
I always get a kick out of comments like "Objects were used for rituals, archaeologists think." Someday in the future they will discover a pile of cheap (or expensive) nicknacks from somebody's 21st-century house and say they were used for rituals. "The glass candle-holder must have been used in a ritual celebrating the extinct groundhog on its feast day." [/quote]

I get a kick on how much they speculate when they have no idea what some of the stuff is they dig up. Would love to hear what they think a manual can opener is a thousand years down the road. [/quote]

I'm reminded of the book "Motel of the Mysteries" by David Macaulay which is an illustrated book describing archaeologists from the year 4022 excavating an old roadside motel and making these kinds of assumptions for our everyday objects. A great old book if you can find it.
[quote]On May 19, 2021, gaddy wrote:

I get a kick on how much they speculate when they have no idea what some of the stuff is they dig up. Would love to hear what they think a manual can opener is a thousand years down the road. [/quote]

I'm reminded of the book "Motel of the Mysteries" by David Macaulay which is an illustrated book describing archaeologists from the year 4022 excavating an old roadside motel and making these kinds of assumptions for our everyday objects. A great old book if you can find it. [/quote]

Thanks. Just found it on Amazon.
[quote]On May 19, 2021, gaddy wrote:

I'm reminded of the book "Motel of the Mysteries" by David Macaulay which is an illustrated book describing archaeologists from the year 4022 excavating an old roadside motel and making these kinds of assumptions for our everyday objects. A great old book if you can find it. [/quote]

Was a fun read. Thanks for sharing.