(Close Window)
Topic: Doing Gigs for exposure?!?!?!
I am sure this has been beaten worse than a dead horse already, but these are my current thoughts on doing free or discounted shows. What are your thoughts? I would really love to hear some fresh perspectives! Be nice please! No fighting! For some reason this topic seems to get heated quickly lol

Here are my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE941mA9hdc&list=PLrBRu76PTUCIkQNdLPu1w6veFcyLWKf-P&index=10&t=27s
Only if it is for charity and deductible.

Otherwise, I'm sure your losses will be far greater than what you gain, and you will only devalue your art. (I'm sure there are times when a freebee resulted in people getting a great gig, but those stories HAVE to be far and few between.

Just my 2 cents.
[quote]On May 20, 2021, pulpscrypt wrote:
Only if it is for charity and deductible.

Otherwise, I'm sure your losses will be far greater than what you gain, and you will only devalue your art. (I'm sure there are times when a freebee resulted in people getting a great gig, but those stories HAVE to be far and few between.

Just my 2 cents. [/quote]thank you! I appreciate your two cents! For me it is all about whether or not you have time or need to do that free gig. If you donít then I turn them down. If you do then it is better to do a free gig and get some practice in or shoot some promo material than sit home and play Xbox lol
When I started out many years ago, I'd hear a lot about this from people who didn't want to pay (and in a very few cases who really couldn't) -- the "this will give you good exposure" line.

It didn't take me long to realize that the people it really gave me exposure to were the ones who wanted a free show.

From that point on, no more freebies.

I understand someone else's experience may be different, but that was mine.
[quote]On May 21, 2021, George Ledo wrote:
It didn't take me long to realize that the people it really gave me exposure to were the ones who wanted a free show. [/quote]

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. They can often do more damage than good which most don't think about when considering such "offers".