(Close Window)
Topic: Halo Aces - Justify going through cards to cull them
Hi!

first of all, I'm doing magic just as hobby for friends/family.

One of the tricks I recently really liked is Halo Aces by Lorayne. I like this trick because I really feel comfortable doing the moves, it's pretty hard for my audience to catch me doing it and it's in my opinion a great effect (which also sets up my next trick).

The last months I just practiced mastering the techniques/moves, but not the presentation. My current procedure would be to give someone the deck to shuffle it, then I go through the cards and cull the 4 Aces (or 4 other cards). After that I shuffle the deck again with some false shuffles to control the 4 cards and then I perform the Halo Aces.

My problem is to justify that I go through all the cards (to cull them) after someone shuffled the deck. I currently have 3 ideas for this

1) Tell them that the cards are now good shuffled and show them the cards for this. However, for me that would just work to show them half of the deck because going through all cards takes too long to justify this with "look, the cards are now shuffled" which would be kind of strange

2) Tell them to remember the cards, e.g. let them remember the top5 cards and then go fast through the others and say that their subconscious would remember the others. Then when producing the last ace in Halo Aces I would them say stop and say that their subconscious said at the correct moment stop. However, I also don't really like this option because I think it's kind of strange to let people memorize the deck to just end the trick with this... (but it would help to hide the culling process because the people would try to memorize cards while doing this).

3) Using marked cards and then culling the cards while they are face down. I would prefer this option, however, I don't know how I would explain that I go through all cards face down.

Are there any other ways to justify going through the cards?
Well you could just tell "i forgot to take out the jokers"... weak justification, I know : |
Hm yeah.

One other thing which I could do is to use marked cards and then during shuffling put the cards on the table and mix them up on the table in a mess (like a child would mix cards) and during this action locate the 4 target cards using a marked deck. However, that would replace the culling and I currently want to do the culling in my trick because I trained it the last months.

(or I could also palm off the cards before the spectator shuffles the cards)

Another thing is that I can use any 4-of-a-kind. E.g. if 4 queens are near the start of the spread I could cull the queens (instead of aces), but that would require to quickly identify that 4 queens are there..

Or another option I'm thinking of is to just cull 2 cards and then get the other 2 cards while "shuffling". For example, I say that the cards are now good shuffled and spread through the first cards. Then I see that e.g. there are 2 kings near the start of the spread so I cull these 2 cards. Then I immediately close the spread and say that I will also shuffle the cards now because we saw them and when I do an overhand shuffle I try to locate the other 2 kings using a marked deck and control them. But the problem of this approach is that I would need to stare at the cards while doing an overhand shuffle and I can't do the overhand shuffle so sloppy...

and of course it would be nice to be able to do the trick with a borrowed deck (and don't use a marked deck).
Or you could slightly change the routine, making the spectator pick his favourite 4 of a kind from the deck, make him shuffle the rest, and as he puts the 4 cards back in the deck you can control them to the top/bottom as you need.
Justify going THROUGH A BORROWED DECK - to dee if i's complete.

And check out my teachings of Doc Valles's CULL DOWN, which I taught way back in APOCALYPSE and in a couple of my book.

Ya' gotta' start reading the good stuff!!!
Or - something I do often - do a simple "pick a card" trick...and set the aces to top as you search for the selected card.
I recently picked up 3d advertising to do a deck production as an opener. Can go through the deck after producing it to test it out, make sure everything is there and looks good.

My culling is still very bad so I slowly cull the aces while also doing a few random tests on the cards like small fans/dribble/springs as I try to rearrange the deck.

Halo aces is just my final check and part of that routine
Making sure there is no double 7, or 3 sixes, or quads or whatever, since otherwise, the trick may not work as well
[quote]On May 29, 2021, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Or - something I do often - do a simple "pick a card" trick...and set the aces to top as you search for the selected card. [/quote]
And this is Good Stuff!