(Close Window)
Topic: Eagle Coins
I have been looking for a decent magnetic scotch and soda and see that Penguin has a relatively inexpensive one that is made by Eagle coins. Has anyone purchased any of their manufactured gaff coins? If so, what is the quality like? Thanks
I am very happy with this set from Tom Ladshaw:
https://tomladshawmagic.com/Scotch-and-soda-deluxe-magnetic-walking-liberty-half-dollar-set?search=Scotch
SAlby
Thank you for answering. --this sounds really good --does it come with the magnet you need to unlock?
That is a solid version. Magnet is included.

Mark
At that price, am I correct in assuming that the Walking Liberties involved are non-silver reproductions?
Karnak--I ordered one --i can let you know when it arrives
It is good, I have two, one is perfect the other one not quite perfect but still darn good.
Rowdymagi5

which one are you referring to the Eagle or the Ladshaw version?
Ok a couple of follow ups --
Karnak,

the Walking Liberty appears to be real and not a reproduction, but I could be wrong. I compared it to one that I already had and I can't tell the difference except to say it is a lot cleaner than mine. The color appears a bit different in photo. I uploaded photos so you can take a look.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/bourret58/p/28d01321-1898-494e-87c7-a38ad2354e6e

https://app.photobucket.com/u/bourret58/p/4c3fc5dc-4054-4668-a5b1-ed433b364b82

As far as Eagle Coins that I bought from Penguin --they are not very impressive at all. Very loose magnet and spotted patena on centavo.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
Thanks for the follow-up. Ladshaw uses replica Morgans, so wasn't sure if he used replica Walkers as well. (That Walker looks pretty pristine....)
No problem Karnak
[quote]On Jun 13, 2021, virtualwizard wrote:
Rowdymagi5

which one are you referring to the Eagle or the Ladshaw version? [/quote]

Ladshaw
At 34.95, they must be reproductions, there is no way for them to be real silver. Culled Walkers are selling for $12-16 per coin.
They are replicas and the nose is wrong, hair flow is wrong, has zero heft …and to this day have yet to have someone show me how any replica gaff set (minus shell sets) looks, feels, handles, sounds, or even mixes in with real silver. It’s like getting lambo kit for a 91 Honda Civic. IMO, keep the civic or save and invest in a better drive. I truly can’t handle clad coins comfortably now (besides my coin-snobbery lol)
[quote]On Jun 17, 2021, virtualwizard wrote:
Ok a couple of follow ups --
Karnak,

the Walking Liberty appears to be real and not a reproduction, but I could be wrong. I compared it to one that I already had and I can't tell the difference except to say it is a lot cleaner than mine. The color appears a bit different in photo. I uploaded photos so you can take a look.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/bourret58/p/28d01321-1898-494e-87c7-a38ad2354e6e

https://app.photobucket.com/u/bourret58/p/4c3fc5dc-4054-4668-a5b1-ed433b364b82

As far as Eagle Coins that I bought from Penguin --they are not very impressive at all. Very loose magnet and spotted patena on centavo.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike [/quote]

The ladshaw walkers are replicas too. While look nice, next to a real walker I have zero issue spotting it. They are also too light. My apologies on the previous post, I thought we were referring to the Morgan’s
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, Jxb1989 wrote:
...and to this day have yet to have someone show me how any replica gaff set (minus shell sets) looks, feels, handles, sounds, or even mixes in with real silver. [/quote]

Well... There's that (Bluether?) Morgan CSB set you sold me. :D
Best Regards,

Your fellow coin snob...
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, inigmntoya wrote:
...and to this day have yet to have someone show me how any replica gaff set (minus shell sets) looks, feels, handles, sounds, or even mixes in with real silver. [/quote]

Best Regards,

Your fellow coin snob... [/quote]

Well, there’s a reason I sold it to you lol. In defense of Bluether’s CSB replica set…they are the only replica morgan sets I’d suggest…but then again, I like my coins how I like my mattress…very soft ha. For the soft coin route I think monarch set is the only I’ve seen that actually looks good (haven’t handled them personally). If questioning if Morgan’s are right, buy an Ike set IMO. Then move to real silver Morgan’s.
[quote]On Jun 25, 2021, Jxb1989 wrote:
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, inigmntoya wrote:

Best Regards,

Your fellow coin snob... [/quote]

Actually I think I sold you one of the 1.0 AND a 2.0 set lol…bluether is good enough I at least drop 80 bucks every time there is a new release to see what they have improved on #powerless

Well, there’s a reason I sold it to you lol. In defense of Bluether’s CSB replica set…they are the only replica morgan sets I’d suggest…but then again, I like my coins how I like my mattress…very soft ha. For the soft coin route I think monarch set is the only I’ve seen that actually looks good (haven’t handled them personally). If questioning if Morgan’s are right, buy an Ike set IMO. Then move to real silver Morgan’s. [/quote]
I was actually just coming to post/ask about this S&S set from Tom, when I stumbled across this post (which looks like it's no longer about eagle coins).
Other than the coins being replicas, how did you like it? I was tempted from the fact that it was magnetic + locking, which has always worried me for examinability.

How have you found this aspect, compared to other sets?
I'm bummed that they don't seem to have a matching CSB set (in halves) which would add more versatility here, since I don't normally use WLs or Centavos.
The quality is very good.
It can pass examination without a problem.
The only thing I don't like is it has a clicking sound when nesting.
It might be unavoidable in order to lock enough to pass inspection.
(the magnet is stronger than typical magnetic scotch and sodas)