(Close Window)
Topic: What bunny should I buy
Message: Posted by: J.S.llusionDesigns (Jun 18, 2004 03:28AM)
I already have a Holland lop. He is a year old and is 3 and a half pounds. But he is too big for most of my bunny tricks. What is a good breed of bunnies for magic tricks? Like a small and calm bunny that does not struggle to get out of a small compartment when it is in one a long time. When I say long time, I mean 15 min.
A good choice for a magic rabbit is the Netherland Dwarf . They start out small and stay small. Most standard magic apparatus that is built for a rabbit is built for a small rabbit like the Netherland Dwarf . Some magicians prefer working with a larger rabbit ( on the extreme end Walter Blaney uses huge white New Zealand's ) , but you're going to have to custom build your props to hold larger rabbits.

The Polish Rabbit breed is a small rabbit, almost as small as the Netherland Dwarf.
The Dutch rabbit breed is another smaller rabbit. Not as small as a Netherland Dwarf, but a nice "medium size" rabbit .

As far as the bunny being "calm and not struggling" that is a matter of training and sometimes of temperment. Rabbits have different personalities and temperments. The one I currently have is one of the best natured rabbits I've ever had the pleasure of knowing . He is very calm, loves to be held , doesn't put up a fuss about going into load compartments (but I always make sure it is comfortable, with plenty of room and air....... don't try to force an animal into a prop that is too small . Rebuild the prop if necessary. Build the prop around the animal ) .

Spend time holding the rabbit and playing with it . Let the rabbit get to where it trusts you , then gradually introduce him to the prop(s) over a couple of days and start rehearsing . If it's a load compartment where he needs to get used to staying in for 15 minutes then start off slow with 1 minute , take a break, then 2 minutes, take a break, 5 minutes, break for the day. Next day 5 minutes, take a break , 8 minutes, take a long break , then 10 minutes, working up to 15 minutes . You get the idea. Spend at least two days getting him comfortable. Make sure the prop itself is comfortable and allows him to breathe adequately . If you're not performing with him every day or every other day then make sure that you repeat the ritual of rehearshing him in the box for 10 - 15 minutes at a time at least once a week so he doesn't forget about it . He'll get used to it as a regular thing that you do together . Treats are a necessity . After spending time in the load chamber he gets a special treat . Find out what he likes to eat : carrots and apples are always favorites (but don't overdo it , just a bit is fine)
Dittos on everything Dai said. I have a Dwarf also and he is a bit big (2.5 lbs) for a Dwarf. His first big show is 3 July.
Message: Posted by: J.S.llusionDesigns (Jun 18, 2004 06:51PM)
I have a friend who has a Netherland Dwarf and it is 3.5 pounds. The same weight as my Holland lop. Is this uncommon for a Netherland Dwarf to be so big?
I've heard the max is 3 lbs. Mine is 11 months now and is 2.7 lbs now.
Mines bigger than average as well, perhaps he will have to hop to the shows,lol! I have a cross breed of a lop and a neth. dwarf so far shes staying small but she may be a biggun!

Matt
[quote]
On 2004-06-18 19:51, J.S.llusionDesigns wrote:
I have a friend who has a Netherland Dwarf and it is 3.5 pounds. The same weight as my Holland lop. Is this uncommon for a Netherland Dwarf to be so big?
[/quote]

A pure Netherland Dwarf Bunny should not get to be that large. Sometimes you need to watch their diet though, and I always try to buy bunnies that had relatively small (2.5 lbs. or less) parents. I always buy from a breeder and check the registration papers. I am lucky to have found to very good breeders that live within a drivable distance from me.

Regan
I try to exercise my bunny at least once a week and before the shows, I limit his diet a bit.
Been thinking of buying another buck dwarf cause I have a double hutch and would like to do a transpo effect (Tarbell 3). Put a black bunny in my Rabbit Vanish box and when the kids scream door number 2, show them he has turned into a white bunny. Then after removing him, truly show the vanish box empty.
I used to do that effect Candini. My black bunny died last year, so I don't do it anymore. I currently have 3 Netherland bucks. I have 2 double outdoor hutches so I may add another later on, if I find a need. It's not a whole lot harder to care for 3 or 4 Netherlands as it is for just 1.

Regan
Thanks Regan. I called the bunny lady today and she didn't have any white bucks right now. She said she usually breeds a bigger doe so she can have a larger litter.

She did mention even with a double hutch, my older male may try to get at the younger buck. I have my hutch separated by a double 1/4 wire piece.

Did you buy your rabbits together or one at a time?
I bought mine one at a time. They are not related and I bought them from 2 different breeders.

I keep mine seperated by 1/2" mesh wire and I have never had a problem. Usually when a new bunny moves in nextdoor I have just noticed a lot of curiousity. They want to look at each other and they act excited and ran around a lot. After a while it subsides and they don't seem to pay that much attention to one another. I have never had them try to fight or anything like that through the wire.

That is my experience anyway. I don't know if that is the 'norm' or not.

Regan
Thanks Regan,

I think sometimes breeders forget that some people don't have 200-300 rabbits in their backyard:)

Still looking for one, sent some emails out to surrounding counties.

C
Good luck Candini.

Regan
Greetings! I'm new to this area and to using rabbits but have been doing magic and escapes for over 20 years. Bought two sisters which were to be a Holland Lop and Dwarf mix. One black. One white. They are both HUGE now! I'll have to rebuild! Although there's always that sawing a rabbit in half idea ;)

Clyde
You have to be careful and know what to look for when buying Netherland Dwarf bunnies. The first rabbit I bought was a mix and ended up being too large. I gave it to my daughter's teacher for a class pet. The kids loved it, it was well cared for, and I still got to see it whenever I wanted. I learned my lesson and I learned more about Netherlands before I bought another.

Regan
I bought a Holland Lop eared as a baby and it was so cute and so small. That was 3 years ago. Now it's HUGE! It also poops everytime you touch it. I cannot bring myself to put it back in the show. It seems unprofessional to me to allow an animal to "do it's thing" in someone elses house. I realize the pellets clean up easy but it just seems wrong to me. Short of buying a "cork", how do you train your wabbit not to do this? Or do you not worry about it. How do you keep it from messing in the load chamber?
My main Netherland Dwarf that I use in in most of my shows has never messed up a magical box...yet. (Knock on wood) I try not to leave him loaded very long.

Regan
Dittos here also. How old is yours? Usually they will try and hold it. Try not to feed or give it much water the day before the show. I give mine a light feeding in the morning before an afternoon show and then lavish it afterwards........
I have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old, and a 2 year old. And yours?

Regan
Mine is 11 months old. I found a breeder 156 miles south of me, she is checking but thinks she is sure she has a white male dwarf. Have to convince wife.

I know there are transpositions, turning my black one into white. Could do it with my vanish box but I think there are better ones. The vanish box doors may come open.

Posted: Nov 13, 2004 2:59am
---------------------------------------------
Well, its the wee hours and breeder is suppose to be driving here to go to the airport. I am suppose to meet up to pick up the new red eyed white buck.
Good luck Candini. I live so far from my rabbit breeder that we have to set up meeting places also. I shop via phone and then we see when & where we can come together. He usually comes within 50 miles of me quite often going to rabbit shows. He doesn't mind bringing some that I want to see, and I'm under no obligation to buy, so it works for me. I have bought from 2 other breeders and a pet store in the past, but he is by far the best. I have several more convenient options that are closer to me, but his bunnies are the best I've ever found. They are more expensive, but I am willing to pay it.

Regan
Regan,

You've been a great help. This breeder came up to send his partner off to NY with rabbits. He said they got caught up a long while with security and all the rabbits....He showed me the teeth on my rabbit and I felt it was a good buy for sure..I just hope I will still use my black rabbit for shows (Houdini owned a black rabbit).

Here is the website of my breeder:
http://ctrabbitry.tripod.com/

Climate controlled barn for year round breeding. I put a tarp over my hutches tonight cause we have rain and 40s.....
It sure is good to find a breeder that you can really trust. When I started out, I had to learn the hard way. I bought one from a pet store that ended up being a mix and it got too large. So then I did a lot of researchand learned what I needed to know to make a better decision. After I had found a good breeder, (not the best yet) I wanted another whit buck, but she didn't have any at the moment. She recommended another breeder that she knew. Well, I bought the cutest little white buck you ever saw...only it was a doe. I didn't know for a while, but I noticed a big difference in temperment. When I found out, it all made sense, and I guess it was good experience for me. I could use the old Ben-Hur joke in honesty. The breeder I use now is awesome. He keeps lots Netherlands in many, many colors, and he shows them all the time. My main bunny that I use 90% of the time is a show bunny that I got from him. He already had a tatooed ear before I bought him. He was not a top-of-the-line show bunny, but he was going to let his kids enter him in some shows, and he was certain he would win some ribbons. He went from a model career to being a magician's partner.

Regan
That's great. I've been fortunate also. I was just waiting for 9 months to see how big my first one would be. He is 11 months now and 2.7 lbs, just a tad over the 2.5 lbs I hear mentioned for Dwarfs. I haven't seen too many 2 lb dwarfs.
It's difficult to keep them that small. It usually takes the right breeding stock (small bloodline) and they can still get over 2.5 lbs. sometimes. If the bunny is registered, or a show bunny, you can look at his papers and check his bloodline to see the weights and colors of his ancestors. Genetics are usually a good indication of what you are getting.

Regan
My favorite is the mini-Rex. They stay small enough to fit in most bunny boxes and train well. They keep their size in summer and winter for the most part. I've had mine for many years and he loves it.
Mike
Mike,

I have heard that the Mini Rex sheds less than other breeds. Is this true?

Regan
Hey

Try a Hotot breed. I use it in my shows and he is beautiful!! He is a fairly new breed, pure white and has natural black eyeliner around the eyes. They do not grow large, and are perfect around kids. Buy a baby male, I had a female which was a little too agressive around kids.

Let me know if this helps.
Does anyone know where I can buy a Netherland rabbit? I live New York. I willing to travel a little I mean to Mass., New Jersey, and any where near New York. So if anyone can help me let me know.
Thanks
Mike
Just to update C&T Rabbitry has its own domain now.

[url]http://www.ctrabbitry.com[/url]

Martin :pirate:
I bought my rabbit from C&T....excellent customer service!
I don’t think they would ship a rabbit. Maybe I can find someone around here not sure where to go yet.
mike
Mike,

Talk to Cesar. I didn't travel down to C n T to get my rabbit. As a matter of fact, he was traveling to NY with several rabbits when they delivered my bunny. And what a nice bunny he is!

Candini
Candini,
Thanks allot. I will get hold of them and see what I can do. May I ask how much they go for or how much you paid?
mike
I have paid as little as $20 for a pure bred Netherland Dwarf bunny. The last bunny I bought was the most expensive ever for me. I paid $65 for him. I have no regrets. He is the best rabbit I have ever owned. He is a show quality bunny. He even has a tattoo in his ear.

Regan
Mike,

My white netherland dwarf male was $35. He was two months old at the time.

Candini
Well I got say that is not bad at all. I am really going to get one again. I had one oh my he was the best rabbit I ever had. He wouldn't do much of anything. He'd sit in my box and not move. He wouldn't do much of anything; he was great. I had to move and couldn't keep him. So now is the time to get a new one.
mike
When talking with breeders, the Netherland Dwarf description for the type that a magician will use is a REW... Ruby Eyed White. Mine all last about 8-9 years. They have very short ears, and stay tiny.

JF
Welcome to the Café JF.

I have used Ruby-Eyed White Netherland Dwarf bunnies, but I currently have a Blue-Eyed White. I bought him so I would have a perfect match to my Blue-Eyed Black bunny. I no longer have the black bunny, but I also currently have a Himilayan, and a Smoke Pearl Marten. I use them all in shows sometimes, depending upon which routine I am doing.

Regan
My rabbit turned out to have a problem with his teeth. Just wanted to mention that on this thread.
When I visited the Castle a few years ago a magician who was called Mark Warenhurst produced a rabbit on top of his head. (I nearly fell over.) The rabbit was, as you can imagine, very small. Some one said it was a Japanese veriety that didn't grow any bigger. Does any one have any idea what type of rabbit this was?
Kevin Fox.
I have used 2 different White Netherland Dwarfs. They do work out good for magic but I found a breed I like using more. Mini Rex's. White of course.
They stay small and they have the charateristic big ears where ND's have little stubby ears.