(Close Window)
Topic: Prestige by Hide Magic
Prestige by Hide Magic

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/prestige-by-hide-magic.html

Anyone know who will be carrying this in the US? Shipping to the US from the UK is a nightmare right now, takes forever, if it doesn't get lost. Looks like a fun routine, and the vanish of the numbers at the end surprised me.

Robert
Other than the Bank Night effect, what does this do?
Where does Tom Stone fit into this?
[quote]On Jun 20, 2021, Mac_Stone wrote:
Where does Tom Stone fit into this? [/quote]

Tom Stone is not the original creator of this plot. It might go even further back but I'm pretty sure Andy Nyman started this whole concept with 'Diceman'.
I will probably receive this in the next days and can write a few words about it later this week.
Stevens magic will sell it in US. No any force at all, very good quality! As additional effect you can to vanish one number at chosen card or on all cards except chosen.
Wow so want this but funds at the moment, looks right up my street.
I have it, it's very well made and you can repair it if needed. It's a bit expensive but if you're going to use it (which I think I am), you will be glad to have this in your repertoire!

It's customizable but once it's written on, you can't change it. I have my own version of this trick which works on a different principle but I must say this one works very good.

I'll publish a review on it in a few weeks :)
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 12:22PM)
[quote]On Jun 21, 2021, anton.magician wrote:
Stevens magic will sell it in US. No any force at all, very good quality! As additional effect you can to vanish one number at chosen card or on all cards except chosen. [/quote]

Thatís actually the part I donít like. It looks very good, but it completely takes away the ďhow could he predict my choiceĒ effect for laymen. They will just think: ah, smth is up with those cards. And the fact you canít hand those out for inspection is the anticlimax. Two great separate effects, but a very unhappy marriage of mentalism and magic I would say.
[quote]On Jun 21, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Stevens magic will sell it in US. No any force at all, very good quality! As additional effect you can to vanish one number at chosen card or on all cards except chosen. [/quote]

Thatís actually the part I donít like. It looks very good, but it completely takes away the ďhow could he predict my choiceĒ effect for laymen. They will just think: ah, smth is up with those cards. And the fact you canít hand those out for inspection is the anticlimax. Two great separate effects, but a very unhappy marriage of mentalism and magic I would say. [/quote]
Do you normally hand out suspicious props or routine around what might be obvious?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 01:30PM)
Do you prefer asking rhetorical questions to an open discussion? 😉
Do you prefer asking rhetorical questions to an open discussion? 😉 [/quote]

Do you have reason to believe that rhetorical questions aren't a legitimate form of argumentation? :banana:
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 01:48PM)
My goodness. Please donít tell me the other 999 have the same style... 😂
This is just an expensive way to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Just force the number. No one notices or cares.
[quote]On Jun 21, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:

Do you have reason to believe that rhetorical questions aren't a legitimate form of argumentation? :banana: [/quote]
Not wanting to argue. Just asking the question. if something looks suspicious do you hand it out? Do you hand out props?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 01:56PM)
Oh, ok. Sorry, my bad. I do hand out props. Especially if the explanation seems to be that the prop is gaffed when it really isnít.

Thatís actually the part I donít like. It looks very good, but it completely takes away the ďhow could he predict my choiceĒ effect for laymen. They will just think: ah, smth is up with those cards. And the fact you canít hand those out for inspection is the anticlimax. Two great separate effects, but a very unhappy marriage of mentalism and magic I would say. [/quote]
Fully agree

I guess you don't have to make the numbers disappear though...
[quote]On Jun 21, 2021, magicmind wrote:
[quote]On Jun 21, 2021, Jonathan1000 wrote:

Do you have reason to believe that rhetorical questions aren't a legitimate form of argumentation? :banana: [/quote]
Not wanting to argue. Just asking the question. if something looks suspicious do you hand it out? Do you hand out props? [/quote]
lol those answers made me smile :)

And I'd rather not use any suspicious props if I can!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 02:18PM)
Agreed.
The number disparition is like a bonus idea which doesnít make sense for me, the basic effect is strong enough and to the point.

Fortunately, you donít have to make them disappear :)
Got it and I will review soon in Breakfast Mentalism :-)
I think the numbers disappearing is a nice theatrical way to end the trick. People would probably assume it was some sort of dry erase marker, not gimmicked cards. Which is fine with me because again, it's just a nice theatrical ending to the trick (not a mind-blowing effect, though still startling).

It shows that you think about additional details in presentation. And to me, it does make sense presentationally - he mentions "you didn't have another choice". It's a nice theatrical way of showing them that you knew what they would choose all along and that it was inevitable.

I could be wrong and it makes it weaker, I have no idea. I really like how this looks though.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 21, 2021 11:09PM)
It does look great. And itís surprising and funny, especially if you choose the right word. At the same time I think it really weakens the bank night effect. I just donít see a way to work around that.
It does look great. And itís surprising and funny, especially if you choose the right word. At the same time I think it really weakens the bank night effect. I just donít see a way to work around that. [/quote]

Are we still discussing the disappearing numbers? If so, I don't understand what you mean by "especially if you choose the right word".

I can see how, if you're trying to make it look like chance, or if you were a straight mentalist, that you wouldn't want the numbers to disappear. But I would use it as a display of influence, and so it would be perfectly fine by me to vanish the numbers at the end. It fits my style and I think it would play very well.

Not everything has to make sense. Like reading minds and then revealing that you predicted it. It makes no sense - but it works. And it works well. People love it. Only mentalists complain lol
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 22, 2021 12:50AM)
I guess Iím a mentalist...
I wonít use the disappearing numbers. Guess I will do something where I pick several people at once and tell the audience that probably some of them would pick a different number - but only one number is the Ąlosing numberď so itís kind of my task to figure out which spectator would pick this number but without telling me anything. Or something like that. Just a thought.
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I guess Iím a mentalist... [/quote]

Ditto. To read someone's mind or predict a choice as a piece of mentalism can really make spectators wonder if it was perhaps for real. But then to perform something magical gets them to reappraise what you do and are showing. It all depends on the impression you want to create.
I guess this is where the discussion of Ďmixing magic with mentalismí comes in. I would be very surprised if any mentalist using this for a demonstration of influence, psychology etc then follows it up with making the writing disappear (basically performing a magic trick with it). However I can see how a magician using this, could use the ending of the writing disappearing as a kicker.

For mentalists, I think this looks very clean, innocent and in a way organic for either force or the mental influence presentation.
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, NeilS wrote:

Ditto. To read someone's mind or predict a choice as a piece of mentalism can really make spectators wonder if it was perhaps for real. But then to perform something magical gets them to reappraise what you do and are showing. It all depends on the impression you want to create. [/quote]

I mostly agree. My personal goal is to entertain, not to convince. That's why it doesn't bother me one bit. But just because you do something that seems real, and then do something "magic-y", to me doesn't necessarily mean they'll reappraise what they originally saw. It just adds layers.
But I think it depends on what you are trying to convey or portray from your performance I think. If you are portraying you are a mentalist (which you would not want any of your effects to indicate or relate to anything magic portraying you as a magician) then you would not follow the selection process with making the writing disappear - which indicates magic trick/you are a magician. If you perform a magic show or your character is in some way perceived or implied as a magician, then yes this could be a nice kicker ending incorporating it in with your magic show adding the layers as you said which would look good.
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, Roberto W wrote:
But I think it depends on what you are trying to convey or portray from your performance I think. If you are portraying you are a mentalist (which you would not want any of your effects to indicate or relate to anything magic portraying you as a magician) then you would not follow the selection process with making the writing disappear - which indicates magic trick/you are a magician. If you perform a magic show or your character is in some way perceived or implied as a magician, then yes this could be a nice kicker ending incorporating it in with your magic show adding the layers as you said which would look good. [/quote]

That's why I said I mostly agree. But disappearing numbers don't have to be "magic". That's just an assumption. It can be sleight of hand, it can be hypnosis, it can be a false memory, it can be misdirection, etc. It can be whatever you make it.
Yes you are right I think by dressing up any effect how you want, but itís what your audience perceives and views you based on what you are performing. I personally donít think you could get away with convincing an audience they have all seen something one minute with all the writing on each card, the next it magically disappearingÖ but that was hypnosis and it was never there to begin with. As a force tool (for mentalists/magicians) I think this is very clever as with the cleanness and innocence of it, but making the writing disappear as a follow on for mentalists in my opinion is a no, just from how I think they would perceive things and that part looking too magicy which I believe to them would indicate magic prop.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 22, 2021 05:53AM)
I also have to disagree you can present that as anything. Hypnosis? I mean of course you can, but I don't see anyone in the audience buying that, by which I mean entering the realm of suspension of disbelief. (Or even have a slight bit of doubt, for that matter.) They will just think: sure, blah blah, cut the cr#@. They will probably appreciate the trick, but not the presentation or patter. Which sadly is smth you can get away with in magic, but has also caused it to have a bad rep of being boring and smarta**y..
Exactly and very true I think and thatís my point I guess. Yes you can dress this up anyway anyone wishes, but it all depends on how and what you are trying to convince to your audience and how you are portraying yourself as a performer. If you come under genre as portraying/being a magician you can perform this any way with or without the kicker ending of the writing disappearing or not (because you are performing magic). But if you are performing straight mentalism (trying to convince you are not a magician performing magic tricks) or hypnosis, that last part making the writing disappear will I feel diminish your credibility and your audience will then look at you as just a magician who has just performed a magic trick. I donít believe (like unmasked magician has said) you will convince any audience no matter how you dress it up, that the writing disappearing is anything other than a magic trick using a prop.
Does this can be used with the same goal of Philpott's 100th monkey? The spectator on stage reads one thing and the rest of the audience reads something different.

[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, psylocke wrote:
Does this can be used with the same goal of Philpott's 100th monkey? The spectator on stage reads one thing and the rest of the audience reads something different.

. [/quote]

Do you mean Dual Reality?
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, psylocke wrote:

. [/quote]

Do you mean Dual Reality? [/quote]

In performance you momentarily take away the spectator's ability to read words.
Sure it'd be tough to sell this as hypnosis, but I would never say it's impossible.

All I think is that a straight mentalist could add little sprinkles of magic in their show (not adding tricks, but adding visual moments that amplify the theatrics and presentation) and all it would do is add some more showmanship and audience enjoyment, not diminish their believability. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not saying every mentalist could or should try to pull it off.

It all comes back to how this all began - what do you want your audience to experience.
I personally believe by choosing what effects you perform either strengthens your portrayal as a mentalist (not a magician) or hinders your perception to them with effects that could look to them like Ďtricksí resulting in the perception of them just thinking you are a magician.

Taking aside the possible hypnosis angle, if any straight mentalist introduced this making the writing simply disappear, in the audiences eyes they have just seen a trick because performing mind reading, psychology, influence etc there is no need or logic for a mind reading show why a mind reader needs to make something vanish - unless you have a magic and mind reading mixed show (but by that you are admitting you are a magician). Introducing the vanish of the writing just screams magic trick/prop, so anything before or after you perform (straight mentalism) would loose any credibility of you being anyone else in their eyes than now just a magician. The result of this will be them thinking youíve just performed a trick, what else is a trick dressed up and acted as something else.

Just my opinion but yes I think the effect is very good, innocent, clean and organic as a force application which mentalists can use as mental influence, intuition angle but making the writing magically disappear is a no (if performing straight mentalism). Sorry for waffling and hope that comes across ok and makes sense (speaking as a mentalist myself)
Got mine today is a really interesting prop and I can see using it. The only problem I see is that is extremely fragile in fact there is something that will inevitably break and to reset
For me at least will be a bit painfulÖ in fact I was wondering if the gimmik will work even without that ďthingĒ and just using the hand to make it workÖ
I am sure that can be a good opener especially for social distancing issue and also is very visual.
Packaging is great and all is stored un a nice felt bag.
I think if was me releasing this I was probably using different materials (plastic) and a more sturdy method (which I already have in mindÖ)
Overall us a good product that will fit mentalists and magicians.
Did I miss anything? What is new here? It looks exactly like the principle Blake Vogt explains with his Acro Index Cards to do the effect how Justin Willman does it. For me it looks like a copy. If I'm wrong, correct me please.
Do you have a link to Willman's performance?
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, psylocke wrote:
Do you have a link to Willman's performance? [/quote]

just one of his performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKiQ7uNWias
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:

just one of his performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKiQ7uNWias [/quote]

Ouch, it looks exactly the same!

This is where I stick to effects like Magic Square. It's free, props can be provided as part of your contract, buy a new marker before you perform, and Presto! People have been entertained ...
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, lucavolpe wrote:
The only problem I see is that is extremely fragile in fact there is something that will inevitably break and to reset
[/quote]

How long do you think this will last? It's also tough because you don't know which card they'll choose so some cards could get damaged faster than others.

Also, how far away would people have to be to not see the workings?

Thanks Luca!
Did I miss anything? What is new here? It looks exactly like the principle Blake Vogt explains with his Acro Index Cards to do the effect how Justin Willman does it. For me it looks like a copy. If I'm wrong, correct me please. [/quote]
It has different activation mechanism, also you can to use not only plastic holder but also book holder and if you will rotate the rest slates to spectators nothing will happen, until you want it.
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, lucavolpe wrote:
The only problem I see is that is extremely fragile in fact there is something that will inevitably break and to reset
[/quote]

How long do you think this will last? It's also tough because you don't know which card they'll choose so some cards could get damaged faster than others.

Also, how far away would people have to be to not see the workings?

Thanks Luca! [/quote]

I think that with care can last longer but with a frequent use I suppose soon or later will break. In the video they explain how to fix it but as I said for me at least will be a little painful even if I think that even without that specific working and with a little modification then actual gimmick can be activated with a finger.
About the visibility once you write on it should be quite invisible but anyway this is something for stage not for close up.
AlsoÖ I am a little concerned in using sharpies to write on top as I have the feeling the will bleed through the gimmikÖ if anyone can suggest something will be appreciatedÖ Gel Pen should work but will take ages to color with them!
I used a sharpie and it didnít bleed through. And this will work with 2-3 meters distance. Itís a bit fragile, yes - you have to be careful. But itís a great piece of mentalism (I wonít use any of the magicy things) and I really like it.

just one of his performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKiQ7uNWias [/quote]

. [/quote]

Iím pretty sure Willman based his on an idea Tom Stone published in his book.
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, Mac_Stone wrote:

. [/quote]

Iím pretty sure Willman based his on an idea Tom Stone published in his book. [/quote]

I'm pretty sure he does not... ;)
Hi!

Maybe you think that I am bragging! I thought the effect(Of dice and men) by my old and very good friend Tom Stone was great, but I told him many years ago that I did not like the use of the dice and I asked him why he did not use a flap card. He told me that it was to complicated. Then one year ago I found out about the Acro Index Cards by Blake Vogt. I bout 8 of them(expensive) and I put hem in plastic sleeves like you see in the Justin Willmans performance( I had not seen that performance, but thought it would work). I wonder if this effect use the same kind of flap. It is not a steel of Justins routine IMHO.
A close up alternative for this would be to adapt an idea from John Allenís very clever release, All or Nothing. (This, btw, has been one of my favourite and best purchases of the year so far.)
[quote]On Jun 24, 2021, NeilS wrote:
A close up alternative for this would be to adapt an idea from John Allenís very clever release, All or Nothing. (This, btw, has been one of my favourite and best purchases of the year so far.) [/quote]

Wow, it seems you had a pretty tough year. Are you referring to the Z-fold?
[quote]On Jun 25, 2021, psylocke wrote:
[quote]On Jun 24, 2021, NeilS wrote:
A close up alternative for this would be to adapt an idea from John Allenís very clever release, All or Nothing. (This, btw, has been one of my favourite and best purchases of the year so far.) [/quote]

Wow, it seems you had a pretty tough year. Are you referring to the Z-fold? [/quote]

As this is an open forum, my lips are sealed as to exactly what I was referring to but those who have All or Nothing should know what I mean.

No - and not wanting to tempt fate, not a tough year. And if referring to my reference of this particular effect being one of my best purchases of the year I say this because out of all I have bought, I have performed this far more than any other recent purchase. It has been the most practical, intriguing and, importantly, entertaining.

But time to get back on topic ...
I asked because I HAVE All or Nothing and I don't understand what you are referring to... Do you refer to the general concept or to an alternative method to the flap card?

[quote]On Jun 20, 2021, Robert Sixx wrote:
Prestige by Hide Magic

Anyone know who will be carrying this in the US? Shipping to the US from the UK is a nightmare right now, takes forever, if it doesn't get lost. Looks like a fun routine, and the vanish of the numbers at the end surprised me.

Robert [/quote]

I bought this from Stevens Magic. It is total junk. I will be returning it. If it wasn't so expensive I would just throw it away. 4 of the 5 cards are made wrong with a big obvious ridge across the middle. Plastic pockets are very cheap. The f**p is 1/8th of an inch too big on each side so the square isn't square. And more. I paid to have it express shipped so that just adds insult to injury. Buy at your own risk. I think you are going to see a flood of bad reviews over the poor quality. There is no excuse at this price point. Purchase at your own risk.
Crap! I ordered on Thursday.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 27, 2021 11:41PM)
Ouch! Thanks for sharing, jetmagic. Sheesh, what a diappointment. Especially considering the price tag.
[quote]On Jun 28, 2021, jetpilot wrote:
Prestige by Hide Magic

Robert [/quote]

I bought this from Stevens Magic. It is total junk. I will be returning it. If it wasn't so expensive I would just throw it away. 4 of the 5 cards are made wrong with a big obvious ridge across the middle. Plastic pockets are very cheap. The f**p is 1/8th of an inch too big on each side so the square isn't square. And more. I paid to have it express shipped so that just adds insult to injury. Buy at your own risk. I think you are going to see a flood of bad reviews over the poor quality. There is no excuse at this price point. Purchase at your own risk. [/quote]

I think you handled it wrong. The f**p fits perfectly, but you donít have to turn the whole thing over, just the first of the two removable sites. Then everything is fine. Just separate the site you turned over. After watching the instructions carefully this should all be clear.
I think you should to watch the explanation carefully before post bad review before try to play with it. The plastic is strong. For stage and parlor performance everything is invisible.
Strange enough, I never had that problem watching the explanation... And the trick turned out to be a great one, so maybe take time to review explanation video before reviewing the actual trick :)
For me, this isnít crap. It works fine, I will definitely use it.
I usually don't chime in on these issues since I rarely buy a new product. Plus, I'm not a mentalist. But the comedy power in this is great. Always liked the routine but didn't like the force. The idea of using a f**p c**d is very old and upon reading the Tom Stone's routine I wondered why he didn't use that instead of the dice force. I agree with most of you that Stone's dice force is a strange one to include in this type of effect. The fact there is no force is WAY better of course. Why wouldn't you? I agree with some that Prestige could have been more sturdy for the money with not much more expense or effort. If you're careful with it, it could last fine. Tip: Cut out a semi-circle on the plastic where the cards reside so you have easy access to the card's removal. I'm not big on elastic either and probably would opt for manual operation of the cards. My first thought is a way to be able to change the routine with different words but, sadly, you can't. The disappearing numbers is a no-no for me. If you're going to have a "topper" effect, it better be better than the one before it. This will just leave an audience with a dull question mark on their minds and you've just erased the big finish. Just my opinion. Still - I'm glad I bought it and will use it.
Nice to see Jeff Hobson here on this thread! The trick was invented by a creative guy from Russia. Initially it was sold privately, but now it is on the market. Well, I can say the idea is very interesting. I have seen different performers with this trick - I will not say that the reaction is very strong. Many are missing the idea of ​​creating a whole magical act with this. Usually everything is trite and boring. Personally, I prefer the dice, I saw a grand presentation at FISM.
The magician who shared the presentation with me asked to keep his ingenious ideas a secret. And I keep my promise
It was fun and fooll audience. :dice: So I don't need it. My friends bought it and many of the trick went out of order that evening. But they fixed it by buying elastic thread. I think only Jeff will create something special with this. I believe that you will create a fun and deceiving routine.I hope to see it someday! It will be something special! I'm a fan of 90s magic. I love watching old TV shows with Mr.Jeff Hobson, McKing, Fielding West. Legends of Comedy Magic. Your friend Eugene!
Got mine from Stevens. Good introductory price of $125. Still steep but better than the Alakazam price. I love the concept as it allows for very clean handling with no force. As others have pointed out, whether the build quality will hold up remains to be seen. The plastic sleeves are very thin and I can see them breaking down over time so I wish those were thicker and less shiny. As for the gimmicks, they seem to work well. However, seems like an obvious design choice should have been to make them out of dry/wet erase material so you could change the words easily. As is, youíre stuck with one set of words. The included stencils are a nice touch. Wish they would have included a few more. The carrying case is also nice and necessary given the fragility of the props. Overall, itís a tad pricey but if it holds up, itís a worthy investment IMO.
Iím sure I watched Justin Willman do a non force version of this on his Netflix show.
I canít remember the words he used but remember it being very funny.
Justin ended with words being revealed as "ANAL"

I want to use a Sharpie large permanent marker that writes very bold but I'm afraid it will bleed through. I did a test and the marker soaks through 3 sheets of regular plain paper. Anyone has experience using a large, bold Sharpie?
I wasnít paying attention when I was prepping mine and did the words in the wrong order on the first card. So mad. But for what itís worth, I used a jumbo sharpie and the included stencil and didnít see any bleed through
The coolest thing - but if you are as attentive as I am! 1.18 MINUTES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfg1Vq6vvY&t=80s

you will see the principle of J.Wilman (INvented by Blake Vogt) and in my opinion it is better than the old little rectangle. What do you think about this?

People in Russia reacted funny to this word that Jeff was talking about. But there are all kinds of parties and it can be horribly dirty. But if you work in Vegas on the night show, it's very funny! :exercise:
[quote]On Jun 30, 2021, jeffhobson wrote:
I usually don't chime in on these issues since I rarely buy a new product. Plus, I'm not a mentalist. But the comedy power in this is great. Always liked the routine but didn't like the force. The idea of using a f**p c**d is very old and upon reading the Tom Stone's routine I wondered why he didn't use that instead of the dice force. I agree with most of you that Stone's dice force is a strange one to include in this type of effect. The fact there is no force is WAY better of course. Why wouldn't you? I agree with some that Prestige could have been more sturdy for the money with not much more expense or effort. If you're careful with it, it could last fine. Tip: Cut out a semi-circle on the plastic where the cards reside so you have easy access to the card's removal. I'm not big on elastic either and probably would opt for manual operation of the cards. My first thought is a way to be able to change the routine with different words but, sadly, you can't. The disappearing numbers is a no-no for me. If you're going to have a "topper" effect, it better be better than the one before it. This will just leave an audience with a dull question mark on their minds and you've just erased the big finish. Just my opinion. Still - I'm glad I bought it and will use it. [/quote]

I'm not sure why I'm mentioned here. I'm not involved in this money/socks Bank Nite routine, and obtaining it doesn't give performance rights to any of my work.
[quote]On Jul 2, 2021, David Klass wrote:
Iím sure I watched Justin Willman do a non force version of this on his Netflix show.
I canít remember the words he used but remember it being very funny. [/quote]
Justin didn't do a Bank Nite routine, but a version of "Of Dice and Men" from my 2011 book "Maelstrom". He sent me a very cordial thank you note about it.
The final words revealed (anal) was first used by David Persson, a few years before Justin.

The vertical display with plastic pockets was my first version, back in September 2003. Turns out that unless you always work on a proper stage, half the time, the bottom three cards get obscured by heads of other people, and only the first row of people will react well. A horizontal display made sure that everyone could see the ending, regardless of the venue.

Between 2003 and 2008 I experimented with loads of various solutions. Most of them didn't [i]need[/i] a die, but made use of it anyway, because it gave motivation to the limited number of cards, it's an archetype as a symbol of randomness, and it motivated a bit of social interaction that still was connected to the plot at hand. Having it gave me a lot for free, plotwise.

Before 2008, I think I tried around a dozen different solutions. One of the better ones was based on Max Maven's "Symbol Simon". Performed well, but was way too tricky to set up and reset. Standard flaps necessitated an inelegant change of blocking to cover the angles. Acrobatic flaps worked very well, but wore out way too quickly. Sliding flaps just looked weird. One version worked well in the winter, but not in the summer. The one that had the most carefree handling was based on the Magic Coloring Frame, but its holder looked like a very suspicious contraption. And none of the solutions allowed for making quick versions for other languages... I considered doing it in Japanese TV in 2004, but decided against it simply because I didn't want to spend a lot of time on building a complicated gadget for a one-time use. Quite often, I chose not to perform the piece, due to limitations caused by the solution used.
Now, with the final version from 2008, I can make a version in any language in less than 10 minutes, there's no blocking issues, it travels well. I perform it everywhere, with no hesitation. Inner and outer realities are well intergrated and there are no redundancies.

But that's "Of Dice and Men", for which Vanishing Inc now own the rights to. It is not included in "Prestige by Hide Magic", which this thread is about, so it would be unfair to them to talk about my work in the context of their money/socks routine.
Just received this and the gimmicks are all visually misaligned (and therefore obvious) when in set position.
To be more clear, the top is wider than the bottom.

but even if this were not an issue, the 'seam' is clearly visible from as far away as 20-feet.

Am I missing something here, or did I receive a defective set?
Pull up just one flap instead of both.
Thanks, Eric.
much better... that was a real 'Duh!' on me!!

e
Good to hear Tom Stone's history on this. For the record, my Sharpie "permanent" marker DID leak through. I tested it in a small way so I finished up with using water-based markers and no bleed-through.
[quote]On Jun 27, 2021, jetpilot wrote:
Prestige by Hide Magic

Robert [/quote]

I bought this from Stevens Magic. It is total junk. I will be returning it. If it wasn't so expensive I would just throw it away. 4 of the 5 cards are made wrong with a big obvious ridge across the middle. Plastic pockets are very cheap. The f**p is 1/8th of an inch too big on each side so the square isn't square. And more. I paid to have it express shipped so that just adds insult to injury. Buy at your own risk. I think you are going to see a flood of bad reviews over the poor quality. There is no excuse at this price point. Purchase at your own risk. [/quote]

Thanks for honest review, lot of people donít like to say anything bad , but a bad review is as helpful as a good review
[quote]On Jul 25, 2021, JackMagic wrote:

Thanks for honest review, lot of people donít like to say anything bad , but a bad review is as helpful as a good review [/quote]

Agreed, but it's been said a few times in this thread that the flap issue is caused by pulling back both flaps instead of just one. So the flap being misaligned is apparently not a problem. The cheap plastic sleeves, maybe. I don't own this, just following the thread.
I was looking for a solution without force, die or anything else. Prestige was the best answer. Thanks for this product guys !
[quote]On Jul 25, 2021, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[quote]On Jul 25, 2021, JackMagic wrote:

Thanks for honest review, lot of people donít like to say anything bad , but a bad review is as helpful as a good review [/quote]

Agreed, but it's been said a few times in this thread that the flap issue is caused by pulling back both flaps instead of just one. So the flap being misaligned is apparently not a problem. The cheap plastic sleeves, maybe. I don't own this, just following the thread. [/quote]

Well stated, Patrick.

I was one of the people who misunderstood the flap setup. I have, subsequently, gone back and re-watched the instructional video.
While the instructions could have been a bit more clear on this important point, everything is now working as it should.

That said, my main concern with this entire kit is durability.
In that regard, had I known what I know now, I would likely have opted for a set of Blake's Acro Indexes.

e
I assume the acro index stage size (10" x 6") is similar to the default size of Prestige (the regular-sized acro index 5" x 3" is probably too small). But I don't see a dry erase option for the acro index stage size. That would be the ideal; although more expensive, definitely more useable, flexible, and visible.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2021, bekralik wrote:
I assume the acro index stage size (10" x 6") is similar to the default size of Prestige (the regular-sized acro index 5" x 3" is probably too small). But I don't see a dry erase option for the acro index stage size. That would be the ideal; although more expensive, definitely more useable, flexible, and visible. [/quote]

As appealing as the dry erase option might at first seem, it may not be practical if you are going to be placing it in a plastic sleeve as this will almost certainly risk smudging/inadvertent erasing.

e
Darn, good point, Eric. Is there a workaround? Would wet erase markers do?
[quote]On Jul 26, 2021, bekralik wrote:
Darn, good point, Eric. Is there a workaround? Would wet erase markers do? [/quote]

Good question to which I don't know the answer!

e
Blake Vogt does sell a stage sized dry erase version. I believe they are 5Ēx8Ē. They each come in a clear plastic sleeve and he suggests taping together as many as you want.
But at $100 each itís going to cost a bit more.

Also, you can use a regular king size Sharpie to write on them, and then go over it with a dry erase marker if you wish to change it at some point.

Blake-vogt.myshopify.com
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jul 29, 2021 04:05AM)
A word of caution: in several threads over the last 2 years I read people were complaining about not receiving stuff they paid for from Blake. All messages were left unanswered. Better check before spending hundreds of dollars.