(Close Window)
Topic: Ring on string
Where is the most complete and best source for the ring and string.

Thanks kukram
Do you mean finger ring?
there are several good sources
1 greg Wilsons ring leader
2, Relentless ring and string, Bob Miller
3 Symphony of a ring and ribbon, Jay Scott Berry
These are all on video

if you are talking about a larger ring
1 Aldo Colombini's Ringing Around
2 Flip's rope magic
also on video

vinny
Johnny Ace Palmer teaches a version of ring and string on his "Trilogy of Magic" video. It is on Vol. 2. It is a very standard routine. Also, Mark Wilson books have a version.

Like Vinny mentioned above, if you are looking for ring and rope, Aldo Columbini has a good version of ring on rope... he actually has a follow up to his Ringing Around video called "Still Ringing." It is in print. It is VERY easy to understand, and a complete routine in itself.
It's also on the Tabary video and on Daryl's expert rope magic.

Aldo's stuff is real good though.
Sorry guys!

I meant finger ring

Great tips so far

thanks

kukram
Jerry Mentzer published a big book on finger ring magic, I don't know if it is still in print though.

Mike
Hmmmm.... the new Self Linking/Unlinking Finger Ring I have created with Joe Porper would be great for ring on/off cord stuff... as we will be including a duplicate ungaffed ring.

It will be on the market within the next 30 days.

It will NOT be "cheap" but believe me, it is the finest gimmick of its kind ever made, thanks to Joe Porper's genius workmanship.
For a large ring on cord or rope Eric DeCamps has a wonderful routine on his video. I highly recommend it. It is a very mystifying and polished routine.
Anything ala Grandmother's necklace/beads have other objects on the string too, for obvious reasons.
I love Ringscape. Its one of the few gaffed tricks I do!
"Magic with Finger Rings" by Jerry Mentzer is a great resource.

Mark Leveridge also has a great routine, available in a manuscript, as well as on video.
As Alan said, Mark Leveridge's routine is very powerful. The moves are simple and direct. The whole routine is short and packed. Besides, those moves are not usually included in the standard videos on the subject.

federico
Hiya, Magi:

I do a finger ring routine largely composed of bits from Bob Miller's "Relentless..." material.

Question:
During the phase where the ring is "tied" into the Magician's hand, the string is pulled "through" the ring -- after which, I do some comedy about what a good Magician the helper is and how they've pulled the string through my ring, and "toss" the ring through the air and "catch" it in the other hand.

Sometimes, a suspicious spectator looks at the other hand (ring's in FP and hidden) or even says, "It's in the other hand." Obviously, this can ruin the surprise ending.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Leland Edward Stone
Ellusionist teaches "MELTED," a string penetration effect on a ring that happens in the spectator's hand.
It's good if you do a Ring & String Routine. It also gets good reactions with the fact that all the magic happens in the spectator's hands plus the spectator personally feels that the string is coming of the ring.
You can also find a good routine on Dan Turcotte's Site http://www.youdomagic.com Has 2 live performances, so you can see how Dan handles the crowd.
Leland,
without actually knowing the routine and how it plays out, perhaps you can "telegraph" the ring flying, by "warning" spectators that the ring "may" go flying, so audiences' attention is in that reality.
This could ruin the bit if it's all suppose to be a joke after the fact, but the solution may be in somehow forewarning the audience.

CM
Camirand has a booklet called The Homing Ring by Gary Ouellet. It contains a lot of interesting moves not found in other routines.

Cheers,
Brian
My personal favorite is Ring leader by Gregory Wilson.
"OffeRing" by Ron Vergilio. It was published in 1976 and, I think, is out of print. A Google Search, however, indicates that a few used copies are for sale for under $10.00. Uses a borrowed ring, a rope, and the spectator gets to string the ring onto the rope. This is a single routine, not a complete source of ring and string magic, but it's brilliant.
If you don't mind the ring getting a little bigger, (say ninja ring size)

Scott Guinn has a very visual Ring and String routine on his dvd. Fooled me very badly when I first watched it.
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dan Fleshman's great ring and string routine. Simple, straightforward, and used for many many years by Dan in his restaraunt work. It is available from him in a small book or is on his new dvd.
Good point David. I used Dan Fleshman's routine for years. I modified some moves and streamlined the routine a bit then added my kick-butt signature ending...which I won't leak :)
Overall, Dan gives a VERY visual routine that is not too complex in plot or handling.
I think that a R&S routine should be fairly brief making every move as magical as possible. If drawn out too long, as with most effects, it can get downright redundant and boring.
Take care,
Chance
I would put a vote in for Ring Leader by Gregory Wilson
Bob Miller would be a safe bet. It has quite a few moves , but that is what a routine is about.
A nice idea will be to do "Mercuring" and then continue with the ring and string routine. http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=972
Eran
Al Schneider also has a couple of good ring on string/ring on pencil items on his DVD series.
I too agree with Chance and David that Danny Fleshman's routine is worth a look. It's not complicated but visually very stunning. Short and too the point and if you want to take it further, he'll throw in the ring flight routine also with it.
There are so many routines to mention but I will throw in a simple but super routine by Rich Marrotta, can not remember which of his three DVDs it is on. I actually learnt it from one of his Tapes, that's how long I've been doing it.
Vinny Marini has a wonderful take on this classic. Dan Garret and Jay Scott Berry (ribbon) have great routines too.

Peace,

Rannie
I didn't see any mention of it, but my favorite handling of the R&S is Max Howard's "Madamme Victoire". It is a lovely mix of Dan Garrett's routine and storytelling that I never seem to get enough of.

Rick