(Close Window)
Topic: Card effects using dice
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good effects that use dice? I like dice as a fun accessory that involves the audience. I already use them a bit to create a random card to cut to but itís not always coherent in the plot.

Any effects would be great!

Thanks
MIKO!!!

I love that effect and have for many decades.
Two of my pieces -- "Major Arcanum" and "Couplet" -- use dice. They can both be found in [i]Calculated Thoughts.[/i]
"Do you believe in chance?" - see my second Penguin Magic Lecture ("Live Act") ... ;) ... Jan
Giobbi in Card College has a very simple routine, [b][i]"The Mind Mirror"[/i][/b], with a small stack, and the spectator can shuffle the pack!
Try Aldo Colombini's DIE SPELL: "Using a die and four jumbo cards a spectator selects a card among those four. That card is the only one with the words PICK ME on its back (or the name of the spectator, Happy Birthday, your phone number, etc)."

Of course, you don't have to use jumbo cards, poker size is fine.

Julie
In these kinds of effects use imaginary dice--it clears up a lot of potential problems from the start.
[quote]On Oct 8, 2021, landmark wrote:
In these kinds of effects use imaginary dice--it clears up a lot of potential problems from the start. [/quote]

Another point of view is by implementing a physical die/dice you have added a red herring to the mix that may further confound onlookers as to any mathematical solution to your mystery.

Julie
Doug Conn offers three effects using dice and cards; Coincidice, Fourtunate and Random Specificity on his DVD and download [i] Pinky Swear [/i]. The download can be found at https://connjure.com.
If you don't have it already, I would recommend you Roberto Giobbi's book Sharing Secrets.

Not only you will find a trick with cards and dice (on page 91), but 52 chapters on magic theory (which is, obviously the real scope of purchasing that book).

Mark
[quote]On Sep 9, 2021, JanForster wrote:
"Do you believe in chance?" - see my second Penguin Magic Lecture ("Live Act") ... ;) ... Jan [/quote]

This is a brilliant effect. Uses a couple of really ingenious principles, which could be applied in other situations too.

You would need to buy some special dice - but it would be a good investment.
Eddie Joseph had a nice one. Check him out.
10-11-12 from Giobbi's Light series.
Vernon's Menta Die, with an imaginary die is interesting.
While practicing Vernon's Menta Die, I realized it wouldn't change anything to use a real die. Plus it adds an interesting prop.
No, it wouldn't ... :) ... But if you are interested in that theme, I really recommend Bob Farmer's PDF "Red Prediction" which you find at lybrary.com Jan
Imaginary Dice - DaOrtiz
Viva Las Vegas- Maven
The super inventive Nick Trost offers an entire chapter on cards and dice in Volume 4 of [i]Subtle Card Creations[/i].
Here's one I did on my you tube channel called "DICY" by the great Lewis Jones.

https://youtu.be/Tfguth0d7PA