(Close Window)
Topic: The Unexpected Visitor is Here!
For those of you who have patiently waited, The Unexpected Visitor DVD, Coin Magic for the Walk Around Performer, is ready to ship.

Cheers!

Doug
Well, its about time! :devilish:
YES!!!

I have Doug's lecture notes "video" and Get Bent DVD- HE ROCKS!!!

Chris;-)
I received my DVD yesterday and immediately watched it when I got home from work. Here are the contents of the DVD:

* Sounds Familiar: Coins across to the spectator’s hand. A killer transposition at the end takes all the heat off you.

This is Doug's handling for the Roth classic coins across. What is great about this routine is the ending. A completely logical ending that takes all of the heat off of the "dirty hand".

* Backhanded: Three different coins vanish and appear under a card, then backfire to your hand. This routine uses sound in a very clever way.

This routine, which is "Matrix" like, is really more of a 3 coin vanish and reproduction underneath a single playing card. Very clever in construction, the final appearance away from where the spectators expect it will leave them absolutely stunned.

* Famous Three Coin Trick: Three coins vanish and reappear (one visually on the spectator’s hand!). Then they vanish again, and appear in the coin purse on the table!

This is one of Doug's favorite routines because it uses a very cool (and underused) principle in coin magic, the one behind method. What you get in this routine is very clean vanishes, reappearances, and magic in the SPECTATOR's hands delivering a must-do routine for anyone who enjoys "entertaining".

* EZ Triple Wildcoin: Two half dollars change into English Pennies then Chinese coins in this very easy version of a classic plot.

The title says it all... Another variation on a classic Roth plot, Doug takes simple moves/gaffs and creates a visual peice of magic.

* Down Spout: A beautiful and easy Coin in Bottle.

This is one of my favorites on the DVD. The coin in bottle has always (IMO) been somewhat of an "ok" trick. Doug has taken some very clever principles (Carney and Roth) and applied them here to make a clean, visual, and easy "Coin in Bottle" that anyone can do.

* Cap-tivating: Clean and strong – three coins are magically dumped from a pen cap!

This very clean and easy way of producing coins is a perfect open to any coin set... I especially liked the quick pen vanish/reproduction at the beginning of the routine.

* Hook Revisited: A reworking of Larry Jennings’ famous Hook routine: Three coins are hung invisibly in the air. You end clean, clean, clean!

This is a routine that I have been doing ever since it was published in the book. Can't say much about it other than it kills!

* Wishing Cards: Three coins are produced impossibly from between two cards.

This is one of the newer routines that wasn't included in the book. In this Andrus-like routine, 3 coins are CLEANLY produced from between 2 cards. Another great way of starting a coin set without simply pulling the coins from a pocket.

* Payout: A follow-up to the Wishing Cards routine: Three coins are vanished one at a time into the two cards used to produce them. As the cards are lifted all three coins instantly appear!

This is another new one and is a great follow up to "Wishing Cards". After producing the 3 coins from the previous trick, you cause each of the coins to vanish back into the cards they came from. Again, nice, clean vanishes and a great reproduction make this routine an instant addition to any serious coin worker's set.

* Coins & Cylinder (Performance Only): Doug’s version of Ramsay’s famous trick.

Last but not least was Doug's version (performance only) of Ramsey's "Coins & Cylinder". Eventhough it wasn't taught, it was nice to see Doug's straight forward thinking behind this classic plot.

Overall I enjoyed the DVD very much. The simple and good looking menus made everything easy to view, the camera angles were "just right" showing you every little detail, and Doug's teaching didn't miss a beat. Both the book and the DVD make a perfect combination worthy of any magicians library.

S.Segal
I got this DVD today and its well worth the money
It has some fantastic routiens which utalise some simple slieghts with great effect!-cunning stuff
I just got my review of Doug's DVD posted at http://www.coinvanish.com.

Enjoy.

Dan
I was excited to get this DVD because I enjoyed Doug's book of the same title so much.

It did not disappoint. Doug's coin work is interesting, magical and compelling for the audience to watch. Doug has a very calm and comfortable performing style which comes through on the DVD.

His routines always involve the spectators in a fun way that holds their interest in the effect. For me, this is a must in any routine. The DVD is very well shot and the explanations are clear and very easy to follow.

Highly recommended for any strolling performer, close-up magician or coin worker.
The absolutely wonderful thing about this DVD is that EVERY routine taught is a solid, practical routine. They have clearly been designed for the real world when you don't have time for fiddly resets, over-cooked plots or dangerous angles - they are ALL so well crafted. Doug's usage of the shell in extremely subtle ways is a really beautiful thing to watch and his techniques will benefit all shell workers out there, regardless of whether you end up using the whole routine. My favourite routine in the DVD is the Three Coin Trick, but I urge anyone who is looking for probably the best selection of practical coin magic to come out in the last few years, then this is it. I also noticed that Doug has some finesses on the routines since I read them in his book that add beautifully to the overall effect.

Very highly recommended. Thank you Doug!
OK I stumbled upon this and now that it is 2006 I would love the here from some new reviews, its a toss up between this and "up in smoke".
Paisa, I don't have either DVD, but from what I do know about them I can tell you this. "Up in Smoke" is a collection of routines based around a single move (The B**kc**p). The applications for this are limited as you must have people looking down onto your hands (such as you might get in a cocktail party situation. The Doug Brewer DVD has a variety of routines with different methods suitable for general walkaround. These routines seem suitable for the restaurant/banquet "worker".

A number of people seem to find the move from "Up in Smoke" quite difficult to do.

The following links may prove useful:-

http://www.fasdiu.com/uis.html
http://jazzmagic.home.att.net/

Hope that helps with your decision.

Martino.
I have both Unexpected Visitor and Up in Smoke.

Both contains visual magic but does require quite an amount of practise. For Up in smoke, you need a move which like Martino has pointed out, is quite difficult. Furthermore, your spectator has to be looking down at your hands from above for the maximum effect (Not that there would be angle problems, but just the way I found to be better when performed that way)

For Unexpected Visitor, you have a variety of effects and, I can't really remember, but then he does utilise a sh***. Doug is also a very talented coin magician. I first came to see him perform his version of 3 Fly on Get Bent and have to say, his handling is smooth. I just need to point out that his sleights are fairly easy to learn too.

Hope that gives you a bit of an insight and would help you in deciding.

Cheers!
I think the last two posts some it up quite well, Doug's dvd is great as is Paul Cummins's,the main difference to me Up in smoke for the most part you need no table,it's mostly all to the spectators hands,thou it has 2 matrix routines that use a table,one of them is my favouite matrix I have seen, it uses Banknotes to cover the coins, I plan to learn that.Doug uses [ a lot and it's helping overcome my fear of gimmicks,but he also has a very nice all sleights routine also. Get them both you can learn the back clip,while working on Dougs routines at the same time so to speak.
Take it steady GG
I may not have embarrased Doug enough when the book came out. Let me try again--The Unexpected Visitor rocks, in any form. I always recommend the book for students who have Bobo's under their belt, and are wondering what's next. You can't find a better collection of solid coin material that will reliably entertain an audience without causing your fingers to break a sweat.

If you're just venturing into the fun filled world of table hopping, read this book first, or watch the DVD twice. Even if you don't use the routines as written, there are valuable lessons to be learned about what makes a good trick a worker.

That, plus Doug's a fun guy to watch, a model citizen, and a fine human being.

And, the DVD answers the burning question...WHO'S YER DADDY??
And Doug is a super cool guy, too.
This dvd is excellent

Actually one of the first set I bought when I started coin magic....

and I use almost all material in there

Can't wait for your next DVD, Doug

cheers
I love dougs material, specially his use of sound whebn doing his coinmagic..
WEll what can I say you guys have hooked me. I will be getting this DVD then. Thanks for all your Help.
Just to let all you Doug Brewer fans know, two weekends ago Doug was in Los Angeles filming his new DVD! The tentative title is, "Another Visit From The Unexpected," and will contain all new coin material for the walk-around performer.

Keep your eyes peeled for more details soon.

S.Segal
Wow - what a surprise! I hadn't seen this post in awhile. BTW, thanks for the nice comments. S.Segal is right, looks like the authoring and artwork will be finished up in the coming week, then another 2 weeks for duplicating. It was a lot of fun to shoot. I hope it's as well received as TUV. I'll give an "official" post when it's coming out. Thanks again, everyone!

DB
I can't wait to see this! Brewer's coin magic is the best, bar none.
I'm salivating!
5 years after the release, I have picked this up having seen it in a sale in the UK for a ridiculously low sum of money. I had read several glowing testimonials regarding Doug's work here on the Café, and have to agree.
I have only started working on coins in the last year or two (normally cards & rope etc), but 'Sounds Familliar' is the best coins across (for MY ability / style etc.) that I have tried so far - the chinese coin does seem to direct the spectators attention rather well..
Anyhow, a belated well done to Mr. Brewer.
Charlie
This is one of the better releases for coins in the last decade, and its not filled with another version of 3 fly which has been waaaay overdone... hats off to doug for this one... also check out vol 2. which is just as clever...
Thanks for the reminder. He had a nice coin routine on his Get Bent DVD.
I'll have to take a second look.
Great stuff on Unexpected Visitor 1 & 2, as well as his Half and Half dvd's. Lots of great routines, most of which are fairly easy - his coin in bottle is fantastic, and I really like his okito box routine, as well as his shrinking coins routine utilizing the triple threat gimmick.
IS the dvd the same as the book? are the tricks in the dvd the same as the book?

Thanks
Dedikc - mostly it is the same as the book. I added a couple of new routines that I do strolling in Vol. 1. TUV Vol 2 completed everything that was in the book (including the chop cup routine). Wow - I can't believe this was over 6 years ago! The book came out a couple years before that. I'm starting to feel old :)