(Close Window)
Topic: Escapes and the Non-Escape Artist
I'm a magician who performs a couple of escapes. I Started with the Siberian Chain escape which I remember having a Royal Magic el-cheapo version of as a kid. I bought some chain, a couple of iron rings and a good lock. Some hacksawing and a visit to a welder, and I was all set. Next it was a Ronjo gimmicked straitjacket. After finally tearing it, I spent the bucks and bought a Posey from Cannons. Now I do the strait jacket/prisoner restraint jacket combo. I use it to close my larger shows. I'm not really an escape artist, I mean can I get out of a non-gimmick standard no belly strap jacket? Sure. Can I shim a pair of cuffs? Sure. But that doesn't make me an escape artist. I don't have a whole act built around escape, and to be honest I'm not even sure my method of doing SCE is the right way. I have a lot of respect for the real artists who have made my job as a mystery entertainer a lot easier (although that double jacket thing with two crotch straps can be a real bear in under 3 minutes) by working creating and marketing the information and tools.

Thank you to all the REAL escape artists who have taken the guess work out of it for the magical dabbler!
Can I ask how did you tear up the Ronjo gimmicked straitjacket?
I think maybe the jacket might of been made. not very strong as in a soft canvas if you want a good jacket get a humane or posey. Don,
I just wanna second carlo's thankyou to all the escape artists that take escapes into the realms of the amazing and inexplicable
[quote]
On 2004-08-20 16:22, Vick wrote:
Can I ask how did you tear up the Ronjo gimmicked straitjacket?
[/quote]
The material simply tore near one of the arm seams, from use and my wild pulling and thrashing. It is not made of a heavy canvas like the Posey or Humane Strait Jackets.