(Close Window)
Topic: Made a kid bleed for the 1st time today!
I am a newbie to the magic business. I've done about 10 paid shows so far. Mostly kids birthdays. I had a young girl come up today to help with cut and restored rope. She was about 8yrs old.

When I brought the rope up to have it cut she used one hand to steady the rope and the other to cut. I continued with the routine which consists of the volunteer cutting the rope a few more times. Each time she wanted to hold the rope near the place where she was cutting.

On the third or fourth cut someone yelled out "I think she cut her finger!"

I laughed along with everyone else thinking that it was a joke. I looked down and she was holding her hand with a confused look on her face. I said, "Did you really?"

She opened her hand and there was real blood! I could see the cut was not real big but it was bleeding! I absolutey froze and didn't know what to say. I asked if anyone had a band-aid and they all laughed louder!

I finally asked if her mom was there and told the girl she better go see her. Her mom took her away to the bathroom. I continued on and the girl returned a few minutes later with a band-aid on.

To make a long story even longer, the girl was fine and even helped with another trick. The mom said it was no big deal.

So the moral of the story is: keep a first aid kit with you at all times at all of your shows! Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just make sure you pick out the oldest kid and keep their other hand away from the scissors!
A first aid kit is not a bad idea. Good participant management is a better one.
Don't give scissors to children. If you want someone to cut something, make sure they are at least 12. You're lucky nothing worse happened than that happened. You could have been sued a lot of money if something worse happened or if it was the daughter of someone who just wanted a reason to sue.

Shane Wiker
Hi

Got your insurance ????

Paula
When one need to give them to children, it is better to use safety scissors (rounded and that unable to cut hands).
One word:

Lawsuit!

You got lucky that the mom didn't care too much.
I`m getting a bit tired of the American style of thinking (Lawsuit.....) don`t you get tired of that?

What I do ( as a magician AND teacher), I tell the child to hold his hand flat, so I can put the scissor on top of their hand. I show the rope to the audience and do my little magical thing, before I take the scissor and cut it in half. After a lot of cutting, I restore it into 1 piece. I put the real scissor away and ask him to take out his fingerscissor and cut the rope with his fingers.

This way, the child is safe and it can still help you with the trick!

Patrick
Yes bring bandades and insurance
[quote]
On 2004-07-05 22:39, paulajayne wrote:
Hi

Got your insurance ????

Paula
[/quote]

Liability Insurance is a must.
Man no wonder performers are screwed up in your country!!

All you ever hear is Sue-Liability,Insurance ETC ETC- the easy way out for the whingers!!

That never happens in this part of the world-Why?

You cant sue people like the gravy train in USA!

This performer was obviously very silly in handing a kid scissors & not watching as we all know what can happen -did happen

You must manage your assistants at all times

I know hundreds of performers been peforming for 30-50 yrs-never 1 insurance or sue threat ever!!!-People use comonsense & move on

The mother was right in this circumstance-kids have accidents- get over it

But the performer obviously should have been more attentive-hopefully has learnt a valuable lesson!!!

AS for the Sue me Brigade-Get A life .
Band aids, insurance, and NO SHARP ITEMS NEAR KIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

you gotta be careful though (insurance insurance insurance) you americans would sue anyone for anything! so BE COVERED!
I had an adult cut their finger during a cut and restored rope bit. I brought up a kid to help, but asked for an adult for the cutting. She cut her finger (my crew gave her first aid) but it actually turned out okay and was a source of entertainment (sickos) for the audience since I said the kid couldn't cut but needed an adult for safety reasons! I made a joke too when she came back about the cut and restored finger too.

After the show I apologized to her. She said, it was okay and that it was her fault. She couldn't believed she did that. She was a good sport.

And in case she wasn't, I have insurance.
And make sure you have public liability insurance
We Americans do not sue for just anything...
We sue for MONEY!
In all seriousness, it is simply a few bad apples making the rest of us look bad. In entertainment, we come into contact with a LOT of apples, and chances are, at any show of more than 5 people, we have a bad one present. We accidentally pick that bad one, something goes wrong, it's our bums.
I don't like it, don't support it, would never frivolously sue someone for something that is my own dang fault, and probably wouldn't sue someone for something that is their fault...
But I still have to play defense.
It stinks...
But don't sum it up as "You Americans..."
It aint me.
Gwyd
I never give spectators sharp objects.
They can turn them against you as well, besides hurting themselves.
I punched a kid in the face once during a hippty hop rabbits routine...ahhh goodtimes
Once when I was younger I lost the keys to my thumbcuffs, and a friend, who didn't know that I had lost the keys, put them on and tightened them. Then he asked me to get him out and I told him that I couldn't and he turned white as a ghost. We had to drive to the police station and ask them to unlock it for us.
As a recommendation, if you're going to carry a first-aid kit, being certified in first aid is a good help. It's nice to know "ok, put a band-aid on it", but if some other injury happened (whether do to illusions, props.. or just something random that happened at your show) it's always good to know how to handle it!

Glad to hear that the mother was sensible enough to say "no big deal, just a small cut." Too many people seem to think, "hey... I can sue.. that'll get me a few bucks..."

Andrew
People do sue for silly reasons - here in Australia someone did a city because the footpath was uneven and they tripped - another because he got hurt diving in at an isolated beach that had no signs to signify it was dangerous - the gene pool is looking murky

BUT

we as performers have to be responsible for OUR actions - if we take danger to our audiences - WE must protect them - they shouldn't have to protect themselves from us.
That will definitly stop the show cold.

Sounds like you need to change your rope routine with the kids. Read a book on entertaining kids.

+no fire
+no scissors
+no difficult card effects
+etc

-john
Maybe look into rope effects that use "magic invisible scissors" (your fingers making the snip-snip motion). I think Daryl's routine has a phase like that.
Liability insurance is available for magicians through the I.B.M. and the S.A.M. at a reasonable price at the following websites:

http://www.magician.org/Liability_Insurance.htm
http://www.magicsam.com/membershipbenefits.asp#liability

You can complain all you want about lawsuits but at least in the U.S. they are a reality if things go wrong. And the mistakes may not even be yours. I performed for free at a local magic club's holiday show and one of the other magi hung up a large light from the ceiling which fell on a child during the performance. Luckily the mother chose not to pursue a lawsuit. Only 2 of the performers were insured.
I know a local clown who I've seen juggle three machetes over a child's body, lying on the ground. Sometimes we do stupid things without even thinking about the consequences.
And what about the kid who goes home after the show and tries to do what you did? Swords, fire and other danger tricks carry their own risks.
As do balloons. Effective February 1, 1995 products that were manufactured in or imported to the United States must comply with the Child Safety Protection Act, which requires the following:
Any latex balloon, or toy or game that contains a latex balloon, shall be labeled as follows: WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD-Children under eight yrs. can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons. Adult supervision required. Keep uninflated balloons from children. Discard broken balloons at once.
So even simple things we take for granted can become liabilities. Protect yourself. Buy some insurance.
:magicrabbit:
I do a dove pan candy production at the end of my kid's shows and use a 2" X 3" piece of flash paper. I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt during the trick itself, but I have started to worry about kids going home and trying to light something on fire themselves trying to get it to change into something else. My wife says I worry too much, but I'm thinking of ditching the fire completely.
When I did kidshow and had fire in my dovepan, I never used a device where they could see me light it. At a magic convention, I bought a HUGE magic wand made of 2" PVC pipe that had a grill lighter inside. I would use the wand to "stir" the ingredients, pushed the button and surprise!!! Fire! They never saw that it was intentionally lit. I would also teach the kids the recipie that I was using, and told them that these exact ingredients were the only ones that could possibly work. And for the liquid (Was using zippo fluid instead of flash paper) I told them that the last ingredient was a tablespoon of water.
So...A kid can go home, throw the ingredients into a pan in their kitchen and stir for all they were worth. No Fire, no worries.
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2006-09-25 14:27, plasticdestiny wrote:
People do sue for silly reasons - here in Australia someone did a city because the footpath was uneven and they tripped - another because he got hurt diving in at an isolated beach that had no signs to signify it was dangerous - the gene pool is looking murky

[/quote]

Being from Oz you may have heard of the jugglers "The Allisons", well the guy had been juggling an apple while biting it. A little later a lady from the audience slipped on a piece of rogue apple and sued him for 75 grand. Hooray for public liability insurance.

Just on the cut & restored topic - I once cut my own hand while doing it. It was right near the start of the show and the cut was on that piece of skin between your thumb and index finger. It wasn't a huge cut but it bled like crazy and didn't want to stop. I did the rest of the act with a hanky wrapped around my hand. What a classy piece of entertainment that was! :)

Now touching on the inuring kids topic - In my school shows I use to display a number of boards (cardboard, roughly A3 size) at the end of the show and each board had one of the educational points of the show on it. However in the middle on the boards was one board with something ridiculous written on it, just as a gag to break up the educational part a little. Anyway, when I got to that board I would look at it in disgust and throw it behind me...but one day when I threw the board BEHIND me, it did a really weird twilight-zone-boomerang-frisby-thing and came flying around me and forwards (towards the kids) then it went straight up and straight down and hit a kid just under his eye. Immediately he put his head into his hands and began sobbing and a teacher ran to his aid.

Fortunately the skin wasn't broken and everything turned out OK, but that was a really freak accident. I couldn't get the board to fly like that if I wanted to. Even Ricky Jay wouldn't be able to.

Cheers
Billy
It's the main reason I don't do the Needle Thru the Balloon trick at kids shows any longer. You're just asking for trouble and a kid with the needle sticking through his eye!
[quote]
On 2006-07-15 11:19, magicswan wrote:
I punched a kid in the face once during a hippty hop rabbits routine...ahhh goodtimes
[/quote]

Jerk!
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 23:49, GWSchott wrote:
I do a dove pan candy production at the end of my kid's shows and use a 2" X 3" piece of flash paper. I'm not worried about anyone getting hurt during the trick itself, but I have started to worry about kids going home and trying to light something on fire themselves trying to get it to change into something else. My wife says I worry too much, but I'm thinking of ditching the fire completely.
[/quote]

YOu need to tell them not to attempt anything they see at home, that way if they do lit the house on fire it won't be your fault because you have made a disclaimer, end of discussion.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jul 12, 2007 11:51PM)
Guess we all know the story of the magician who destroys and restores daddy's wristwatch during the birthday show.

The next day the birthday boy tries to reconstruct the trick. It all went well, except for the restauration part.

Andy
[quote]
On 2005-11-14 18:14, Brent McLeod wrote:
Man no wonder performers are screwed up in your country!!
All you ever hear is Sue-Liability,Insurance ETC ETC- the easy way out for the whingers!!
That never happens in this part of the world-Why?
You cant sue people like the gravy train in USA!
This performer was obviously very silly in handing a kid scissors & not watching as we all know what can happen -did happen
You must manage your assistants at all times
I know hundreds of performers been performing for 30-50 yrs-never 1 insurance or sue threat ever!!!-People use common sense & move on
The mother was right in this circumstance-kids have accidents- get over it
But the performer obviously should have been more attentive-hopefully has learnt a valuable lesson!!!
AS for the Sue me Brigade-Get A life .
[/quote]

Funny, the only whining I see in this post is from the performer from New Zealand. All Americans aren't inclined to sue someone just for something to do. And thanks for the compliments, but all performers from "our country" aren't screwed up.

At least we know how to spell "learned" here in the U.S.
It is true that all performers should have public liability no matter how tame your act is you never know what can happen.

I perform in a small side show in Australia, all of our performers have public liability insurance and senior first aid certificates. We recognised that because we perform some dangerous and grosses stunts we need to be prepared not only for an accident with a performer but also just in case somebody doesn’t take and act to well and say, faints and hits their head or worse.

sned I didn't like the way that Brent came across in his post either but I think he is not so much criticising American performers so much as recognising how much it would suck to have to perform in a culture where some people with sue over petty things. By law in New Zealand and some what in Australia it is harder for people to sue over ridiculous things. So you can understand not "getting" why American performers are so cautious.

Also before you start making low blows about peoples spelling you should check your dictionary. http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/learnt
As I read this story, I am reminded of how we are all human, and all subject to error..after all, David Copperield cut the tip of his own finger off while doing cut and restored rope once. So the poster is in the best of company.