(Close Window)
Topic: Most Practical angle proof Matrix Routine?
Just trying to see if there are any good matrix routines out there I haven't heard of or may have skipped over.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jul 7, 2004 09:55PM)
My favorites - Quadra Coin Reverse Matrix, performed on my Knockout Coin Magic DVD but not explained (it is explained in my Creative Coin Magic Lecture Notes 3 and Philadelphia lecture tape, both available through me), MY 2 card reverse Matrix on my Knockout CM DVD, and my ultimate reverse matrix explained for the first time on the COINvention DVD that hopefully will be out in the near future.
My favorite- Connvergence by Shigeo Shikagi

Found on the Amazing Miracles of...
My two favorites are: Giant Killer Coin (AoA-Paul Harris) and Snappy (Aldo Columbini)
None compare to what Armando Lucero is doing. He destroyed a room full of very knowledgable magicians today at Dean Dill's Shoppe.

He is doing a workshop on 31 July. Time/Place TBA.
Armando redefines the matrix in a way words can not describe.
It remains in my personal top 3 of staged magic!
I created a coin assembly designed to satisfy three requirements I had: Had to be angle proof, had to use 4 silver dollars and 4 regular size cards, and had to emotionally engage the audience.
The effect I came up with is called Field of Dreams. The cards are 4 double faced blank cards placed on the table to resemble a baseball diamond. A miniature baseball bat is used as a wand (it pays to live in Cooperstown). The 4 Morgan Dollars represent the immortal baseball player including Shoeless Joe as in the Kevin Cossner movie. The coins start out under each "base" and assemble one at a time under home plate. They then vanish one at a time only to reappear under each base ready to play another night. The Schneider/Dingle pickup move is not used. An original move of mine is used for the vanishes. The effect is very straight forward with each magical event paralleling the storyline. That's the only "Matrix" type effect that I am currently performing.
That sounds like a sweet routine Larry. Congratulations on devising such a workable, as well as interesting premise!

A nice change from the typical, "...we see that the coin is here, and now for no apparent reason... it's over here! "Whoa! Now it's back here again!"

As for angle friendly matrix routines that I would recommend... I take the magical low road and use John Kennedy's Impossible Matrix gimmick, 4 coins, and a lot of discretion. Although ungaffed matrix is more "magically correct", I find that the reactions I get to ungaffed routines are about the same as they are when I use John's gimmick... and the gimmick certainly simplifies my life, so I see no reason not to employ it.

Best,

Mike
I find the possible FAILURE of gimmicks keeps me going back to sleight-of-hand... but once you see somone like Armando make serious MOJO with four quarters that CANNOT BE EXPLAINED... you feel like learning some other effects and leave Matrix to him.

LeFay. Agreed... but what are the OTHER TWO??? I gotta know.

I still remember being totally destroyed when Phoa did his cut/restored handkerchief. That was pure magic for me. And Kaps doing the cork!!!! Slydini's coins throught the table. Oh boy.
Nice idea Larry, and Pete I guess I am going to have to see this Armando guy, where is he from ?
Armando was the hit at FISM this past year. He lives in Los Angeles, was born here of Mexican ancestry.

He spent many years working in Las Vegas.

He will be offering a workshop on 31 July, time/place TBA. Cost will be $500 -- limited to 15 persons.
Ed Marlo has a few, I have a few, David Roth as at least one...

Though to start at the beginning...

What specifically do you find lacking in Al's routine or, for that matter the Yang Ho trick from way back when?
Good point Pete. My Kennedy gimmick had a little "anti-unification" issue once. I remade it myself, a little more stress tolerant and resolved that problem. But, point well taken.

Best,

Mike
Well I like dean dill's version of the matrix , simple to do and looks clean .
Pete,
Are you going to the workshop?? I wonder if he's teaching his matrix routines.

Could you recite the best parts of his matrix routines that you saw that day. I've heard that the ending involves a stunning and IMPOSSIBLE coin transfer from one card to another. Thanks.

Dave
Pete,
Does Armando ever do his famed Matrix routine with coins larger than quarters?
I will, unfortunately, be out of town when Armando does his workshop.

Quarters are the only coins I have seen him work with. But, frankly, it doesn't matter. The magic is so strong you don't even think of the coins, their size or? Matter of fact the first time I saw him and later described it, I thought he used halves--which was a natural assumption, I guess, as everyone else around here was using the halves.

I do NOT BELIEVE his workshop will teach Matrix. I was told by a third party he wouldn't part with his Matrix for under $10,000.00.

His final segment?

He puts away two of the cards, is left with two. He puts away 3 coins, is left with one.

He places the coin on the table and covers it with a card. He places the second card about 18-inches away, then takes the coin (FAIRLY) out from under card 1, and FAIRLY (I have seen it a dozen times and believe me what you see is so fair, yet I have no clue) places it under card 2.

He pauses (music is playing) and waves his hands over both cards, hands about a foot above the cards/table.

He then lifts card that you swear had a coin under it and there is no coin. He takes that card and with the corner of it flips over the other card and THERE IS THE COIN.

The CLEANEST, no moves, no pickups, no dupes, no shells, NOTHING BUT MOJO.
Flame me if this is the wrong place to plug, but I've just put a little video of a matrix on the magicvideodepot.
It's called Dutch Assembly.
Maybe you wanna take a look?
(It's my first video on a forum haha)
Dan
The matrix performed by Michael Ammar, "Shadow Coins", or a similar version done by David Roth on the table, not on the carpet, and without the "gimmick" are simple and direct and to the point. Dean Dill's version of matrix using a shortened table napkin as well as his matrix using any small borrowed objects as seen his in DVD set are excellent.
Dan, how about a link to your demo?
I've never thought of [i]Matrix[/i] as being an effect with angle issues.
Glass top table, spectator laying on floor?
I rarely see glass top tables and I haven't seen a spectator laying on the floor since I stopped performing bar magic. :baby:
I'll agree with Bill Malone and stick with the original Schneider routine....
What about poor man's matrix by jc wagner?
RE: "I rarely see glass top tables and I haven't seen a spectator laying on the floor since I stopped performing bar magic."

I find the added height of the bar to be to my advantage, usually. But there's a definite distance issue between the bar and the floor. The stark 80 degree angle has its problems too :hysteric:

Good one Larry!

Best,

Mike
If you saw Shade you'd know that the card mechanic technical advisors (Wilson et al) showed off their skills with the camera shooting from below a glass table. I guess coin guys will need a radiolucent close up pad to compete.:)
What about a transparent gel-pad (For instance a close up pad made like a coldpack) Add to that transparent cards and you're there;-)

I remember James Lewis performing his coins thru glass table in Irma's room at the Castle. Biiiiig wow-factor!
Hey guys. I take lessons from Dean Dill. My favorite is the "simple matrix backfire" it's amazing. I fool magicians when doing it, though you do have to do a lot of timing, slight of hand and misdirection to pull it off, but it is totally worth it. Also, it sounds like this Armando guy is pretty great. Hey Pete Biro, sounds like you know a lot about him. Where's his shop or house or something like that, I'd like to meet him, he seems amazing. thanks