(Close Window)
Topic: Street Levitations
I am trying to work out a method to float on the street, a sort of Balducci levitation, with a gimmick that I am attempting to make.

I would like some people's opinions on this one, but I don't want to reveal it to the board. Would someone PM me if they want to help, and maybe we can work on the effect together? All your help would be welcomed. I'll explain more after I get a pm, thanks.

Magicman01462
I wouldn't mind helping. I'm a levitation fanatic. :dance:
Message: Posted by: misdirection master (Aug 3, 2002 12:25AM)
I'm thinking about purchasing a levitation effect for street magic. Could someone give me their opinion on which to purchase?

All help is appreciated.

:bigdance: Thank you.
Don't purchase one misdirection master. Use one of the many that don't involve gimmicks. Talk to me if you need more info.

Magicman01462
I only use the Balducci :hamburger:
Try King Rising. It rocks. :righton:
I've heard about 'King Rising'. Is it an extension of the basic Balducci levitation - or something else entirely?
The King Rising is better than the Balducci IMOP. I like it better because the spectator(s) clearly see BOTH feet rise off the ground. With practice (as with everything) it is an amazing levitation.
:bigdance:
But the problem with the King Rising is that the set up is messy and you are not left very clean at the end. You have to employ the use of a coat or something of that sort.... but still, a quite good illusion.

Magicman01462
I still think Balducci is the best! :)
-Alan :spinningcoin:
King can work in the right situation, but Balducci is more versatile.
King Rising is a lot like the Balducci. The only differences are that the angles are a little harder, and it has to be set up although you can set up right in front of the spectators, with out them knowing! It is harder than Balducci but I think with practice, it is much better! Like I said, it rocks. :righton:
I've already said that if you want help, I am here.
I saw Kings Rising for the first time 2 days ago. First off, it's VERY angley (maybe more so than Balducci) so I caught how it was done immediately, and wasn't impressed.

It does look quite good from the right angle but it's messy in the beginning and the end. That is, unless you have a coat or something, but then that doesn't make it very versatile or impromptu. Unless, of course, you are wearing a coat! :rotf:

Balducci is still my favorite. All I need is my feet, and I don't usually go anywhere without them.

~Priest~
When I do Balducci, I have to be barefoot because in my shoes, one foot looks so wierd, everybody knows how I do it. But I kill them in barefeet or socks.

The problem is, my favorite place to do magic is in the street. And it would seem wierd to just pull of my shoes! But when I am over at a person's house or at a party at a friend's house, I do it and they love it!

If anybody is looking for another good lev, try Raven's Flight. You go pretty high and it can be done front, back, or side. This is becoming my favorite lev.

Sorry about the long post. :)
Corey King is a bud of mine - and even I think his lev is a little wacky. Top four levs out there gotta be:

1. Balducci
2. Zero Gravity
3. Fearson's Fabulous and
4. King Rising

Anything else is a gimmicked high heel or "black art." (in other words - junk)

Personally, I have donned a magic philosophy that seems to be working well...

"On TV, not for me."

When every magician and his mom is out there “levitating”, why would I want to do it also and just be “one of the guys” when I can 'not' do it and stand out from the crowd?

And after all the publicity it has had – I wouldn’t touch the Balducci with a ten foot magic wand. My brother knows how to do it better than I do and he works for the city. My brother-in-law knew a different variation before the Blaine show even aired and he is a Naval pilot.
King Rising is really an excellent self-levitation. There's still a lot of people who don't know how to do it properly. You have to practice more and come up with new ideas. The coat is NOT necessary, as already mentioned by Corey King.

FYI, I have performed the KR to WALKING spectators and got amazing reactions.
Listen everyone, King Rising is a tight levitation.

And the best levs are:
Balducci, King Rising and Fearsons Fabulous.

I don't like Zero Gravity.

And I like MUSLE and NEo -Rise, and my lev called uprise self lev.
King Rising is the closest thing I've seen short of hiring a crane operator, editing crew, and zipper-pants consultant.

--Ron
Hmm, how in the world do you do the King Rising? I've seen it, and it looks awesome. I want to try and do the King Rising at my school.

Some of my friends figured my Balducci out and I want to try to do the King Rising. Would someone be so kind as to explain the King Rising to me? ty!
The King Rising is available as a download at http://www.ellusionist.com, for I believe $17.00. For me to just explain it would of course violate the agreement I made when I bought it.

It has its own angle issues, but at the right time, for the right people, and with sufficient practice. . .it's good.

--Ron
I was going to order the king rising and Ninja 1. But I just figured out the King Rising in school and figured out most of the stuff on Ninja 1. I guess I should just order Ninja 2 instead. I was kind of dissapointed because it's so hard to pull off the king rising. Plus I don't usually wear the right stuff if you know what i mean. I hope I'm not making a big mistake by buying N-2: Weapons... What does everyone else think?
What I think is that it's important to buy a licensed copy of a trick developed by someone else, even if you deduce the method yourself. You wouldn't have spent the time trying to figure it out if it didn't hold value for you, and I think it's important to compensate the creator for developing something you consider valuable enough to want.

Just my opinion... if you want to perform King Rising, you ought to buy the manuscript even if you figured it out based on watching a performance.

Best,
Joe
I don't think you honestly know the method. I thought I did, so I bit the bullet and bought it. It was completely diffrent. Also, it is very wrong to perform an effect when you have not bought the license to perform it.

Jakks
Well, it's just like any other trick, I found out most of the tricks I know by experimenting. I found out stuff like the second deal, false shuffle, double lift, and many other tricks too. I prefer learning tricks by using my own mind. I only buy them as a last resort. (or if I just can't wait any longer) :)

I feel that I acomplished something by figuring out a new trick, not by just buying something. I admit, I do buy magic, but I feel beter if I just find out the trick myself. I'm sure most of the people here didn't buy all the tricks they wanted to know, have seen or heard of. I know what all of you are saying, I know the point you're making, but I just like dong the tricks I know by figuring them out.

I'm almost sure that I don't know the exact King Rising, but it produces the same effect. From what I've heard of people asking for help with the King Rising, even though they don't reveal the trick, from what I know, it all comes together. Just like the Balducci, many poeple don't buy it to perform it. Many people do, but a lot don't either.
I would love to know if anybody can help me! I know the levitation it shows David Blaine do is a camera trick but I would like to know what real levitation looks the most like that (I don't mean exact even if it is way off looking just the closet)! :)
Hello all,

Docc Hilford has also a great video out by Flora and co on impromptu levitations. Check it out...

Martin
Nitrous,

You don't see the point. It is very unethical. I figured out Brent Braun's Torched and Restored the first time I saw it, but I bought it. The baladucci was created numerous years ago and is not sold as a trick by itself. Same with the double lift. PM me with your guess though. I would like to see your accuracy.

Jakks
Ok, I guess I'll try and buy it if I'm WAY off
All this talk about King Rising. I just purchased Zero Gravity and am currently waiting for it to arrive. Did I make a wrong choice?
Wait a second... (except in cases of absolute junk) every illusion will have its good points and bad points. What's the advantage to the King Rising over the Balducci? Or vice versa?
Link, you are partially right, but the rest is the Balducci levitation. I suggest everyone figure out how to do it.
I think from the ad for King Rising that it is a whole new idea and people can see both feet clearly off the ground. Yes, it is harder than the Balducci levitation, but I think it looks much better. Also, Balducci is common knowledge now. I don't know why, but every spec knows how it's done.
I personally think the King Rising isn't very effective because it has such restrictive angles... but that's just my insight.

Magicman01462
Is Fearson's levitation the one with the milk crate? It sure looked good to me on the demo. Does anyone have it, and if so, how do you like it overall? :crazydude:
Is the levitation M.U.S.L.E. any good? Is it worth $85?
Yes, it is angle restrictive. More than the Balducci. But, it an excellent levitation. It blows the Balducci, Andruzzi's Ascending, Fearson's Fabulous, and Zero Gravity out of the water. Easily. Also it beats any other Ellusions with or without gimmicks. In my opinion, The Kings Rising is the best levitation ever.

If anyone wants to know how it is done,
go to http://www.ellusionist.com
click on Kings Rising and bust out your credit card, and be prepared to pay the $17 for the secret.
I bought the Ferson levation last year. It requires a lot of work to set up and isn't ideal for close-up. Where can I go to find the Raven's flight levation? Can the King's Rising levation be done surrounded? I perform at a local skating rink would this levation be suitable?

brandon
hmm, for my personal opinion.. I rather prefer Balducci. hehe, you can perform it anywhere. Everything has it's own advantage and disadvantages.... well.. TTs all I got to say... :bikes:
I do the Balducci, King's Rising, and the Fearson's levitation using the milk crate. Personally, I like King's Rising the best. I don't find the angles any more difficult that the Balducci...in both cases you must be sure of your angle though. Buying King's Rising from the website allows you access to a special King's Rising Forum, where people discuss all kinds of ideas that go even beyond what Corey designed. It is a clean levitation with no gimmicks and it can be performed without a jacket.

The Fearson's Box is a different kind of levitation that is done more for laughs. I have done it in my living room with success.

Scott Chesney
Kings rising is junk. It adds nothing while taking plenty away. Far too much set up, the angles are WORSE than the Balducci and contrary to popular belief the Balducci is not common knowledge to anyone other than other magicians.

Fearson's milk crate and Zero gravity are both GREAT levitations and both can be performed on the street. Both of these levitations have far fewer angle problems when compared to either Balducci or Kings rising. I used to think the Fearson crate would not work but Bro David gave me a tip that floored me and makes the trick not only work on the street but practical.

Best,

Dan-
My personal opinion is to adopt the same attitude towards levitations that you probably already take with card tricks. How many of us know more than one way to force a card? It makes sense to me to know more than one way to do a levitation. Every situation is unique, and all of the levitations in this thread are strong perofrmed in their "ideal" environment. I personally love King's Rising, but I do have to be careful where I perform it. I also have Zero Gravity, and I perform it in my platform shows, with members of the audience in a circle holding hands around me on stage. It gets a huge reaction, but I would hate to walk around being prepared to perform that one! (ouch!)
[quote]
On 2002-12-20 01:34, the levitator wrote:
but I would hate to walk around being prepared to perform that one! (ouch!)
[/quote]

If you have the manuscript for Zero Gravity go back and re-read it. Mike has a nice way of making the shoes wearable all the time. I've worn mine on the street all day before. There is a very clever way to do this. I missed it the first time I read through the manuscript as well.

best,

Dan-